Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The milky looking chain lube wax emulsion was a failure, longevity-wise. I'm back to sticky oil, though I might try the wax again on the next chain after brine season is over. I've started doing chain maintenance at work though, in a heated but dirty space so pretty much ideal. Wash with one of those translucent blue brush boxes in the morning, lube later when dry.

Bro just bought a real nice commuter e-bike with gates carbon drive and enviolo hub. I think I am jealous, the promise of zero maintenance is very attractive. I helped him mount snow tires on it, there's some faff with the belt but no big deal, just inexperience I think. He had some issues with belt skip on the brand new bike after a few dozen km of riding and upped the tension, but probably overshot since the friction started to get noticeable. Neither of us know enough about belt drive to really understand what's going on, but tension seems really important from what I can judge. There even seems to be a special tool and an app for it. Sheesh. Should he buy one of those tension gauges is what I'm asking the Gates preachers ITT? The app seems to work acoustically like a guitar tuner, and by the reviews it doesn't seem to work very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Invalido posted:

The app seems to work acoustically like a guitar tuner, and by the reviews it doesn't seem to work very well.

Yah, I never found it that accurate. Though it put me close enough to fine tune from there. And now I have a decent feel sense of what works for my particular setup.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Invalido posted:

The milky looking chain lube wax emulsion was a failure, longevity-wise. I'm back to sticky oil, though I might try the wax again on the next chain after brine season is over. I've started doing chain maintenance at work though, in a heated but dirty space so pretty much ideal. Wash with one of those translucent blue brush boxes in the morning, lube later when dry.
Winter biking on anything but a one-speed chain is madness.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Winter biking on anything but a one-speed chain is madness.
gates belts forever

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

gates belts forever

Touchey

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Invalido posted:

Bro just bought a real nice commuter e-bike with gates carbon drive and enviolo hub. I think I am jealous, the promise of zero maintenance is very attractive. I helped him mount snow tires on it, there's some faff with the belt but no big deal, just inexperience I think. He had some issues with belt skip on the brand new bike after a few dozen km of riding and upped the tension, but probably overshot since the friction started to get noticeable. Neither of us know enough about belt drive to really understand what's going on, but tension seems really important from what I can judge. There even seems to be a special tool and an app for it. Sheesh. Should he buy one of those tension gauges is what I'm asking the Gates preachers ITT? The app seems to work acoustically like a guitar tuner, and by the reviews it doesn't seem to work very well.

We have a Gates transfer drive on the tandem. I used the app but it seemed over tight, I now run it just slack enough not to slip, also read the Sheldon Brown article on centering chainrings to get the tension even through out rotation , also I found if the belt was put one way it would gradually move over untill it rubbed the frame. So use a white marker to get the DOR.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mikemelbrooks posted:

We have a Gates transfer drive on the tandem. I used the app but it seemed over tight, I now run it just slack enough not to slip, also read the Sheldon Brown article on centering chainrings to get the tension even through out rotation , also I found if the belt was put one way it would gradually move over untill it rubbed the frame. So use a white marker to get the DOR.

If you'd asked me yesterday, I would have said it was unlikely that the bike commuting thread would have crossover with the 3d printing thread, but here we are.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm new to 3d-printing so I haven't done anything bike related yet. I've only printed PLA stuff yet, and it's not the greatest material. I've done quite a few bike doodads previously but with machine tools and welders and grinders and such , usually in steel, alu or delrin and the occasional hockey puck.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there any solution to having to choose between waiting behind the limit line at an intersection, and having drivers honk at you and being angry that you're blocking them from making a right turn, or waiting at the crosswalk and getting the right hook?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

Is there any solution to having to choose between waiting behind the limit line at an intersection, and having drivers honk at you and being angry that you're blocking them from making a right turn, or waiting at the crosswalk and getting the right hook?

Earplugs and dgaf.

If you trust drivers in your city (lol) you can make a performance of tucking in on the lefthand edge of the lane then waving drivers past so they can make the right on red. This assumes you have the space to do this safely.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

You feel awkward until you realize that if you were in a car solo going straight they'd be in the exact same situation.

I occasionally let people buy if they're waiting patiently, it's a super long light, and there's a ton of room on the inside of the corner.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

ChocNitty posted:

Sounds like a them problem and not something you need to endanger yourself for, let em wait.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ChocNitty posted:

If I’m in the right lane at the front, I scoot ever so slightly forward and left such that regular cars can get by me to turn, but trucknutsmobiles are too wide and have no choice but to wait and stare at my rear end

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I ain't doing that. The truck bros are going to see a car got around you and a truck will eventually try to do the same, regardless if they'll actually fit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

I choose violence (if anyone honks behind me I stop and go ask them why they did it).

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Cold enough to use handlebar covers this morn, which lead to the discovery that my bell doesn't work when it's enclosed in them, so I felt like an rear end in a top hat weaving in and out of dog walkers :(

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
yeah that's one of the drawbacks of bar mitts. After failing on my first attempt to build a cable actuated bell I bought an electric horn with a remote button so the speaker sits outside the mitts and it kind of works, though none of the sounds I can choose between (whistle, siren, clown horn or klaxon) will immediately bring "bicycle approaching" to people's minds like a bell does. The gizmo works equally well in rain too which tends to mute the bells on all my bikes at least to some degree so that's nice I guess.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have an old school bell with an enormous thumb lever mounted outside my bar mitts, and there is plenty of flex in the mitts to be able to ring it nicely.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I have an old school bell with an enormous thumb lever mounted outside my bar mitts, and there is plenty of flex in the mitts to be able to ring it nicely.

Psh, amateur. I have a really old school 20-inch brass bell hanging off the handlebars. I attached a leather sling to the ringer so I can kick the clapper around and sound like Tiny Notre Dame.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
clown horn

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh man, memories.

The first time I did the Seattle To Portland, I decided to try and do both halves in one day (209 miles). Around mile 160 I started completely falling apart from exhaustion. I was crying in the saddle, just beyond even giving up, just sobbing there as I pedaled my sorry rear end south.

Then this couple on a tandem passed me. The captain rang his little bell, then the stoker quacked some sort of little duck horn. It was so absurd that it snapped me right out of whatever I was in and made me laugh.

I finished all 209 miles, in no small part due to that ridiculous duck call horn :)

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Nobody Interesting posted:

Cold enough to use handlebar covers this morn, which lead to the discovery that my bell doesn't work when it's enclosed in them, so I felt like an rear end in a top hat weaving in and out of dog walkers :(

Why would a dog owner be able to hear your bell over their earbuds?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Groda posted:

I think you're confusing dogs and MP3 players again, Groda.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Groda posted:

To be fair to the dog walkers in this area, the ones in the morning are usually pretty cheery and headphoneless. They're always happy to see me too and give me a friendly "good morning"! That's largely why I feel so bad about it - they expect (and receive!) so much better from me :negative:

The evening dog walkers suck rear end though

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

I wrapped my frame in battery LED christmas lights for the season last weekend and every ziptie has a little jingle bell hanging off of it. It sounds like a freight train braking when I hit the gravel part of my commute, but anyone without earbuds hears me coming a mile away without having to use my thumb bell.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Invalido posted:

I'm new to 3d-printing so I haven't done anything bike related yet. I've only printed PLA stuff yet, and it's not the greatest material. I've done quite a few bike doodads previously but with machine tools and welders and grinders and such , usually in steel, alu or delrin and the occasional hockey puck.

Yeah, it’s maybe good for prototyping the perfect shape / size of a doodad you want, but everything 3D printed will just break if it’s supporting anything.

Send the perfected plans off to a Chinese cnc company to make from 6061 aluminium though, and it’ll be fine.

Invalido posted:

Which wax product was this and how were you applying it? There are some very different products out there.

The longevity of an immersion waxed chain beats anything else in any conditions, the only wintery problem is potential for rust as there’s not an oily film on the outside of the chain, but that’s superficial anyway.

A wipe with microfibre cloth and some compatible drip wax will prevent that too.

There are wet weather ready drip waxes now too including a UFO drip one, but aim yet to try them.

I assume you’re not using the chain cleaner every day? I’d just wipe after every ride tbh with oil lube.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

wooger posted:

Which wax product was this and how were you applying it? There are some very different products out there.

The longevity of an immersion waxed chain beats anything else in any conditions, the only wintery problem is potential for rust as there’s not an oily film on the outside of the chain, but that’s superficial anyway.

A wipe with microfibre cloth and some compatible drip wax will prevent that too.

There are wet weather ready drip waxes now too including a UFO drip one, but aim yet to try them.

I assume you’re not using the chain cleaner every day? I’d just wipe after every ride tbh with oil lube.
I just bought some random amazon product with good reviews for wet weather, this one to be exact:

What made me go back to oil was the rusting - it seems to lube just fine otherwise, shifts fine and doesn't squeak. I replace the chain every spring regardless so maybe its fine to live with rusty outer chain plates I guess. I appreciate that it doesn't gunk up the rest of the bike like oil does if nothing else. I've been applying it to a clean dry chain and letting it dry before riding. I've been using the chain cleaner almost every day when the conditions are bad (temps around freezing), yeah, but just clean water in it, or lately when back on the oil a small amount of dishsoap. They sweep and salt the better bike paths here, so they're extremely salty (like the entire bike gets encrusted after a few days without a wash) and I figure getting the brine off the chain can't hurt before re-lubing, and it takes just a minute or two. Then a wipe with a rag and let air dry.

It's not just chains that suffer in this salt. Bearings die frequently and the shifter cable requires frequent attention too. Still better than driving or public transit.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wooger posted:

Yeah, it’s maybe good for prototyping the perfect shape / size of a doodad you want, but everything 3D printed will just break if it’s supporting anything.

I have 3d printed parts in construction equipment, in and underneath cars, in my wood shop, and all over my life in general with some supporting many many pounds and being generally abused and they're doing just fine. 3d prints aren't weak unless it's some silly little desk ornament printed with 2 wall lines. Well designed structural parts printed correctly are really, really strong.

Bike related example, the everything cages on my gravel bike are 3d printed and have about 400 miles of bike packing on them. Semi related, I've got a 3d printed bracket that holds a piece of PVC pipe to a ROPS on an excavator that's our nalgene-sized water bottle holder and it has about 800 hours of use on it. PLA, too.

Prints are strong, print stuff. Maybe don't print things that will hurt you if they break unless you've got experience to know it's strong enough, but still print stuff.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Hypnolobster posted:

Prints are strong, print stuff. Maybe don't print things that will hurt you if they break unless you've got experience to know it's strong enough, but still print stuff.
Yeah I'm coming around on printed PLA performance. It's not delrin/POM (which machines amazingly well in addition to being really tough and slidey) but it can do some pretty impressive things for what it is when designed right and printed with the right settings. Trying PETG is next for me I guess if I want something a bit tougher.

Maybe it's time to revisit the remote actuated bar mitts compatible bell idea, this time with 3d printed parts. It should make rapid iterations after the unavoidable failures way easier if nothing else. I'll have to source a nice loud donor bell for starters, ideally with some kind of resetting trigger mechanism to make life easier, but designing and printing a remote actuator and a bell-to-cable adapter or something similar (pushrod maybe?) for the bell itself seems like a fun little project.

A quick look at amazon and a CatEye PB-1000 seems like a reasonable candidate but I'll look around some more before ordering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV6dcsfizbw

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
You just need to reason about what the piece is being asked to do.

I printed a pretty tall bracket for dynamo light and it didn't show any signs of cracking or brittleness for the 2 years or so I had it on the bike:

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Surprise snow squall this am. First of the season afaik. Fairly late this year.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How do I protect my poor mucus membranes from the cold? I have some wool buffs and a couple of cycling face masks, but none of them are good. The buffs fall off my nose, and the masks are cumbersome; one has earloops that get tangled in my helmet, and the other is bulky. I also have a balaclava but that flattens my hair.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have a pretty loose/thin wool balaclava that fits under my helmet and doesn’t do anything that just wearing a helmet wouldn’t. I haven’t used it yet, but I also just got ski goggles that have a nose cover which should help shield my nose/cheeks from wind and snow.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do I protect my poor mucus membranes from the cold? I have some wool buffs and a couple of cycling face masks, but none of them are good. The buffs fall off my nose, and the masks are cumbersome; one has earloops that get tangled in my helmet, and the other is bulky. I also have a balaclava but that flattens my hair.

We're having a ridiculously warm winter so I haven't put it through its paces in anything below -10C so far, but I just got these and they've been fine. No ear loops.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I added some festive string lights to my bike a week ago since my ride home is always in the dark and I thought it would be cheerful with added visibility. Well the first night I had drunk bros heckle me about my Christmas lights and a few days later I was run off the road by a driver who wanted to tell me he liked my lights. I am not using them anymore…

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cops can hassle people with blue lights, too.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Funny enough these were just plain white string lights, nothing crazy.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I am compelled to bitch about this morning's dog walkers.

Dog walker #1 is video calling, presumably with headphones in. I am frantically ringing the bell to no response; the dog REALLY likes me and wants to play. Very adorable but I gotta get to work.

Dog walker #2, through to #whateverthefuck have formed a phalanx of dogs across the bike path. Cute adorable play dog wants to make friends with them all. I cannot move because now all the dogs are having a cute wonderful adorable party in front of me.

And then the magic of cute dogs is dispelled by one of the dog walkers telling me "Hey man maybe it's not a great idea to ride your bike here."

It is a bike path.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Lol.

For me the parked vehicles in the bike lane have skyrocketed recently and it's making me cranky when bike rides normally cheer me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I am compelled to bitch about this morning's dog walkers.

Dog walker #1 is video calling, presumably with headphones in. I am frantically ringing the bell to no response; the dog REALLY likes me and wants to play. Very adorable but I gotta get to work.

Dog walker #2, through to #whateverthefuck have formed a phalanx of dogs across the bike path. Cute adorable play dog wants to make friends with them all. I cannot move because now all the dogs are having a cute wonderful adorable party in front of me.

And then the magic of cute dogs is dispelled by one of the dog walkers telling me "Hey man maybe it's not a great idea to ride your bike here."

It is a bike path.

the root cause of this is a severe lack of public spaces that are physically separated from cars and traffic