Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm replacing a stolen commuter hybrid and doubled my budget so I can add all the accessories on day 1. Didn't realize how much I put into that bike until I started building a cart for racks, fenders, light mounts, bottle cages, wheel reflectors, etc.

But hey, turns out I have a bit of extra cash left over. Time to prep for winter commutes and loads of questions about studded tires.

Would I just swap the tires on when the season changed?

Are studded tires tubeless compatible? If they're not, I have an idea of building up tubeless wheels for my spring commute and committing the default rims to a winter wheel set.

Finally, if I'm lazy, and only swap on one studded tires, is it better to be front or rear? Or is that worse than doing nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Amazing page, thanks!

Looks like tubeless studs aren't a thing. Page implies that tubes are installed in a few spots. I thought that would be the case, but now I don't feel the need to test it out.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
As much as I like that approach, the smarter move is to take the Manhattan Bridge for nearly any trip between Brooklyn and Manhattan, except if you know the Brooklyn Bridge will be empty. The clapping of the wood planks over the main span is beautiful.

Another option for narrow paths is being ready to off-road a bit. Not practical in all weather, but it's also nice practice if you're ever forced off road for other reasons.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I carry with my shoulder in the triangle close to the head tube, handlebars behind my neck, and hand gripping the seat tube (taking most of the weight). With the opposite hand I can waggle the fork to get through short spaces.

This setup keeps the bike mostly in front of me which helps on a narrow staircase.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Finally got a new hybrid for my commuter bike. The only thing I really don't like about these bikes is the super wide handlebars carried over from whatever is in fashion for mountain bikes. 720mm? How am I supposed filter through traffic while pushing a 2.5ft wide metal stick?

e: Crap, can't find my pipecutter.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 2, 2020

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

18 inches? I'm just aiming for mediocre 24.

Can you even fit a full set of lock-ons, brakes, shifters, a bell, and a light mount on a set that narrow?

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I will. I'm more surprised that every hybrid I've bought has had wider bars than the last. Are these actually comfortable for people outside of mountain biking?

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm doing it myself because I'll have to cut it down in half inch increments until I find what feels good.

Also, this is my first bike with hydraulic brakes. Wow they're nice.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

evil_bunnY posted:

:perfect:

They're only comfy on slack bikes with short stems. You need all the elements, but in general super wide bars are annoying in busy traffic. They also can't be straight for obvious reasons.
Also please don't cut bars with hacksaws, use pipe-cutters or at least a guide.

Found my pipecutter. After having to ride 20 inch bars on a short-term replacement bike all summer, my sense of what traffic I can squeeze between comfortably is very messed up. I've nibbled down these bars to about 24 inches. Probably have one or two more cuts to go.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Just went up from 35 to 40 on my latest commuter, and there's a definite boost in confidence that I random grates, potholes, etc won't catch and destroy my wheel.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
What kind of wheel lights are those?

I have the MonkeyLetric which are beautiful and obnoxious, but also too expensive to put on the bike that I park on the street.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Why not roll with fenders all year round? I haven't had any downsides except for more fiddly cleaning.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm making stem/snack bags as gifts for a few bikes friends and testing the prototypes on my commuter.

These things are the handiest bag I've had on my bike yet. Chuck in gloves, keys, a buff, whatever, and it's ready to access immediately.

Still want to figure out some less temporary ways to attach them then loose hook-and-loop for the stem and a shock cord for the fork.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Are your pants waterproof and do they go past the top of your shoes?

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Is there anything like a good guide to rear racks? It's one of those things that everytime I buy one, a find a bunch of different designs, all capable of 44lbs, with more or less tubes, about the same weight, and anywhere from $30-$100. I have no idea why any of them are better than the other.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

marshalljim posted:

Cycling About has a guide to the basics. He's got some reviews of popular models, too.

I'll never have questions about rear racks again.

Now to figure out if a front rack is useful or style points.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
One of the benefits of running 35 and wider, I can roll most tires on with my hands.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Alignment has been an issue for me. Readjusting the caliper position and wheel alignment during major maintenance normally fixes it though.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm starting to look at ebikes, and one of the major things that hit me is the different noises of the assist systems. A hub drive (like the Rad) sounds different than a mid drive (like the Giant). And of course different manufacturers sound different as well. It's worth test riding, because I can't imagine listening to the constant whirring of some systems.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Neurostorm posted:

Also, what do people think of those handlebar mirrors that let you see behind you without turning your head? I've been commuting via bike for years and never had them, but it does feel like not having to take my eyes off the road ahead of me to look behind me would be useful?

I picked up Trieye glasses with an integrated mirror. It's a bit fiddly at the start of a ride, but gets me eye protection and more awareness in one device.

There's another set of glasses from Britain that aren't adjustable but have a bigger mirror surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Just got a bike with a Rohloff. It and belt drive is magic, and all I want on all future bikes.

Gotta get rid of all my other bikes to fund a single-speed belt drive for commuting and another Rohloff for long rides.