Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh they do, for sure. Foam ear plugs are objectively the best for noise reduction (when inserted correctly, which the vast majority of people don't know how to do).

But I really like the ease and comfort of the Loop plugs, and that they work instantly instead of having to twist and roll and pull and wait 30 seconds. They're "only" 25 db reduction instead of the theoretical 33 you can get from foam plugs, but that's still plenty to be comfortable and get wind noise out of the danger zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just buy the big 100 pack of foamies from the Walmart hunting section :shrug:

My only advice is to swap out/wash your earplugs frequently. I ran some for far too long and caught a nasty fungal infection in my ears that required literal prescription vinegar to cure

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the pack of 100 foamies from amazon works fine. I prefer the 3m, but whatever I got worked just as well it seems the 3Ms seemed to hold their shape better after use though.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I finally consolidated all the janky powerbanks that I bring on camping trips, and solved my dead battery worries at the same time.

500g for the battery, 250g for the jumper cables. It has a 44,000mWh capacity, says it will put out 400A sustained / 2,000A peak.

Just have to remember to keep it in my sleeping bag since most lithium chemistries get sluggish below 0C, but that's an easy fix if I forget.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

nice charge

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Threw one of these in my toolbox on the GS after watching the ProjectFarm review channel pick a good contender. Haven't had to use it on the bike /yet/ but I have jumped a stranger in the parking lot so I'm glad I had it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 14, 2024

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i got a pair of Astars GP plus gloves from revzilla after i read they have really long fingers, which is something i need. true enough, they have long fingers and once i break them in theyre gonna be great. They also only took 2 days to get to me while the SMXs i got took over a week

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

I love my smx6 so much I bought the V2 ones after I dug a hole into the heels.

I'm actually looking for better noise reduction than my alpine motosafe race's advertised 20db reduction, so I guess im going to change to foamies and see if that's better.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Has anyone tried riding with that weird silicone putty sold for the purpose jammed into their ears? I haven't used it for decades but as i remember it blocked out snoring really effectively (possibly better than foamies if you managed to make a good plug) and was pretty comfortable too. Got really gross after a bit of use though, it would pick up all sorts of debris/hair/lint and not just ear wax.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I think the collective term is Wax ear plugs.
like these

I've never tried them myself though, afaik they went out of fashion when good enough foamies started to appear.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I've used wax ear plugs a long time back. The big downside is that they aren't permeable to air, so it feels like there's always either some pressure or some vacuum on your ears.
They work very well, but i cannot stand the pressure differential sensation.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think they probably block the most noise but to me it looks like an ear infection waiting to happen.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Those wax ones say 32dB, my orange foamies say 33dB, so basically equal.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The silicone ones and the wax ones are not the same substance even if they work the same way. I have fond memories of the former helping me sleep in noisy settings and being very comfortable, albeit somewhat gross. Sleeping in foamies makes my ears tender. I once had to sleep the last night with plugs in on a multi day moto trip and the plugs hurt the whole last day to the point that I rode the very last stint slowly and plugless.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just going to invest in spray foam

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm thinking about picking up some mid-height more casual riding boots/shoes for around town, and save my big gore-tex Daytonas for touring and bad weather.
On the things that look like ordinary boots front, there's things like the RevIt Portland (the heel looks stupid and likely to catch on something imo) and some offerings from TCX. On the kind of looks like shoes end, there's thinks like Alpinestars Chrome and some Dainese shoes that look pretty flimsy. RevIt shoes seem to have poor build quality from the reviews. Any advice? I want something that's comfortable to walk around in off the bike and doesn't require hiking my riding jeans up to put on and take off.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Alpinestars Chrome seem to be the new version of the j6 which have been great for me for what you describe, I've worn them even when I've not been on the bike at all because they are more comfortable for lots of walking than my trainers. If you are getting them online it might be worth going a size up

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have Alpinestars J-Cult. I also crashed tested them for you and can confirm the toe box is functional. I’ve worn them all day and put 5+ walking miles in, no real problems that I remember.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thanks, I'll check out the alpinestars offerings. They seem to be just way better built than the other brands when it comes to this kind of footwear. The Monty V2 looks pretty nice as well, but it's an extra $100, and I don't think I want to spend that much. Cycle Gear Bellingham has chromes in stock so I'll try them on for fit next week.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Update on the Klim Marrakesh saga: submitted directly to Klim. Annoying UX. After making me take two rounds of pictures and waiting a whole lot they did approve it now! Getting a new jacket, no repair. So they required me to cut it in half and send them a picture, which I did. I guess I understand the reason but it still makes me feel kinda sick to cut a jacket that could it easily be repaired into pieces. In any case, I'm happy. Thanks for the advice to go directly to them rather than the store.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Good that it worked out for you!
Cutting in two with pictures is their standard procedure. I got some photos somewhere of my big brother’s badlands jacket in 2 pieces. There was issues with the main zipper and a pocket zipper. It went off to a repair shop, got super delayed, and came back with the main zipper unfixed after some months. Rather than more delays he got shipped a new jacket from the country importer. He salvaged the super fabric and outer goretex fabric for silly projects.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Cataffy posted:

Update on the Klim Marrakesh saga: submitted directly to Klim. Annoying UX. After making me take two rounds of pictures and waiting a whole lot they did approve it now! Getting a new jacket, no repair. So they required me to cut it in half and send them a picture, which I did. I guess I understand the reason but it still makes me feel kinda sick to cut a jacket that could it easily be repaired into pieces. In any case, I'm happy. Thanks for the advice to go directly to them rather than the store.

Nice, my Marrakesh has become my go-to for riding between 50-80 degrees now. If you ever feel like swapping out the ghost pads for something CE2 rated, the D3O LP2 set fits the pockets perfectly.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Was considering it. Pretty pricey in the bigger stores but seems like there are deals to be had. How much more noticeable are they than the Ghosts? Cause I basically don't feel the armor as standard and it feels amazing.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Cataffy posted:

Was considering it. Pretty pricey in the bigger stores but seems like there are deals to be had. How much more noticeable are they than the Ghosts? Cause I basically don't feel the armor as standard and it feels amazing.

I really don't notice them much, especially the shoulders. They're rather form fitting as-is, the sleeves are cut a little loose on the jacket to begin with, and they fill out the pockets fully and don't move around within the jacket itself.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I found the badlands in 2 pieces picture

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Install Velcro - quick change jacket.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When you have a bad day riding your bike to work at the saw mill

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Wondering if one anyone ever pulled off a Photoshop split in half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There are so many pictures of these already cut in half online, but you really don't need to cut yours.