Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I answered all of my own impatient questions by reading about it.

It can be removed for security purposes. It looks like the disconnect issues are primarily caused by the power delivery pogo pins which can separate under hard bumps. But there is also a review specifically calling this out and saying there is a set screw that need to be tightened to keep that from happening.

Most of the review pictures are from dudes driving around with the peel-off shipping screen protector still on it that says “remove before use”, so I don’t trust them to have it setup and assembled correctly.

So I guess we’ll see, mine arrives Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's exactly why I gave a side eye to those reviewers, because the set screw is barely hanging in there until you tighten the poo poo out of it yourself. But that's the quickest way to remove the unit if you want to take it on and off the bike. I'm leaving for Daytona tomorrow, 3000 mi round trip, so we'll have plenty of first hand information to give you. My plan is to keep it on the bike as much as possible except maybe when I'm parked at the hotel at night.

Either way, there are better and newer variant of the system available for about $150, it has a different connection.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have the same unit, only by Ottocast (Maxca is the other "big" name company that sells these). I have mostly positive experiences with the unit, but I did have a rocky start where it would just randomly blackscreen lock up until I pulled power. I ended up flashing the Maxca firmware onto it (again, same hardware for the most part, just rebadged) since it gave me the option of customizing the splash screen and had a better pre-Carplay UI and it's been working 100% since. At the price I paid I'm more than happy to just replace it again if it's faulty hardware.

And yeah, my experience with the actual day to day functionality is very positive now. Feels really responsive, and it's nice to have controls that don't rely on my phone being unlocked. I live and die by GPS maps so it's also really pleasant to have Apple and Google maps at my disposal off my phone.

The cradles are dirt cheap and readily available off their site so I just bought two extras and now I pull the actual device and slap it onto whatever bike I plan to ride that day.

I actually don't remember if it came with the 12v adapter AND USB adapters, but it was nice to have both. I hardwired the 12v to one of my bike's OEM NAV 12v cables, the rest I just connected to USB adapters.

I am so used to having CarPlay available when I'm going somewhere that this was one of my no-brainer slam-dunk puchases that I would make again in a heartbeat.

The Ottocast rear mount is AMPS compatible but it uses M3 screws, and the screws it comes with were 13mm which is almost useless for any actual AMPS mount. I just amazon'd a set of 20mm M3 screws and everything was A+ chefkiss.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Can you post a pic of it on the bike? It’s hard to get a sense of scale from the Amazon pics

It's not tiny, but it's not huge either. I have since moved it around on the DRZ more parallel to the bar so it doesn't stick up like a sore thumb, but it's still noticeably there.

e: Rummaging around my parts bin and I think it does come with both USB and direct-12v adapters :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 4, 2024

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Anyone have a large tank bag that they love? Looking for something that can fit my gym gear (shoes and clothes, towel, water bottle, sometimes a dip belt or small change plates) and will quickly detach to take with me. Currently stuffing it all into a large backpack but it’s kinda heavy and I hate riding with a backpack on in general.

Bike is a zx4rr and has a metal tank, so magnet options are ok.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

moxieman posted:

Anyone have a large tank bag that they love? Looking for something that can fit my gym gear (shoes and clothes, towel, water bottle, sometimes a dip belt or small change plates) and will quickly detach to take with me. Currently stuffing it all into a large backpack but it’s kinda heavy and I hate riding with a backpack on in general.

I'm a tank bag user and a gym goer as well, but I can't imagine a tank bag large enough to fit all that and still be sized as a tank bag. Do you have any particular aversion to a tail bag?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I have a medium sized tailbag that my food and thermos goes in, but I suppose that could go into a tank bag and gym stuff could go into a larger tailbag.

Edit: my going in assumption was that I can more easily find a bigger bag for the tank than will fit on the tiny rear end pillion of a small sportbike.

moxieman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 7, 2024

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

moxieman posted:

highly recommend that if you go w/ a tank bag you get one with a locking ring that installs around the gas cap instead of using one with magnets or straps, unless you hate not scratching the paint on your tank

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is a backpack that mounts on a back seat and then detaches quickly for transport. I forgot who makes it, but it looked nifty

I meant that all attachment straps stay on a bike, while you take your regular looking backpack with you

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
SW Motech has some great stuff that fits that description, though they’re a little spendy.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

That's exactly why I gave a side eye to those reviewers, because the set screw is barely hanging in there until you tighten the poo poo out of it yourself. But that's the quickest way to remove the unit if you want to take it on and off the bike. I'm leaving for Daytona tomorrow, 3000 mi round trip, so we'll have plenty of first hand information to give you. My plan is to keep it on the bike as much as possible except maybe when I'm parked at the hotel at night.

Either way, there are better and newer variant of the system available for about $150, it has a different connection.

Now that my trip is over, I can give you a 3,500 mile review of the screen.

To make it short, the thing works. There are some minor annoying issues that could have been improved at the testing stage, but "good enough" is the rallying cry of Chinese domestic engineering. You can buy a similar item from Garmin for $400, that will have none of the issues.

Pros:
- cheap
- functional Android auto screen with good enough reaction time
- excellent touch controls, I've tested with different gloves, some better than others, and all better than on the actual phone screen
- the whole thing is removable in seconds via ball mount thumb screw, as I keep it plugged in to switchable USB already on my handlebar
- works fine in the rain, but it's hard to control with the wet screen, which is expected

Cons:
- there is no capacitor anywhere in the system, so it is required to be constantly plugged in. Losing power for a fraction of a second resets the unit. In fact, it will reset if the power fluctuates, such as plugging and unplugging devices into my double USB on the handlebars. You can avoid that issue by hard wiring to the battery, or not messing with other items in the plug, like what I had to do. You can see this issue with several Amazon reviews, people complaining about random resets without realizing where it comes from.
- less of an issue and more of a pet peeve, but it doesn't automatically switch to night mode, despite Android auto doing it everywhere else. So you have to physically press the night button on the main screen every time you need it
- and I wasn't even going to mention it, but what the hey, sometimes it will lose connection with the phone that's in the pocket of my jacket only inches away. Maybe it's my super thick winter jacket, but it happened a few times

Overall, it was a fine addition that made my trip easier overall. The ball mount installation gives it a lot of flexibility, I moved it around in and out of sight depending on the circumstances. You can also get a secure lock for the ball mount, if you plan on leaving it on the bike while you grocery shop or whatever. It's not easy to remove otherwise by an opportune thief.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What’s that cable you have plugged into your 10c evo? I bought some magnetic tip type cables but they don’t actually work, since the port is slightly recessed and the flange prevents it from fully seating. I think I found a two cable solution that will work.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

What’s that cable you have plugged into your 10c evo? I bought some magnetic tip type cables but they don’t actually work, since the port is slightly recessed and the flange prevents it from fully seating. I think I found a two cable solution that will work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2256199700...emis&media=COPY

Because it's a mini USB plug, the angle of the cable has to be correct, as I found out when I bought the wrong one the first time around. I messaged the seller, and they just sent me the correct one for free. I buy all my cables from them now.

Because of the nature of mini usb, the more you move it, the worse it gets. So I leave it there permanently, and use a 3M adhesive wire clip to hold it flush with the helmet.

None of this is necessary unless you plan to use the camera for longer then an hour. Camera drains the battery fairly quick, and once it hits about 50% charge, it shuts off to preserve the battery. Keeping it plugged in ensures that the camera runs continuously. But if you're not recording, a full charge is good for a week if not more.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I was honestly surprised how fast the battery drains while you use the camera

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm recording in 1080P or 4K or whatever the highest available, including sound, while playing music through the headphones. You could certainly mute the thing, and then put it on the lowest resolution video setting to multiply your battery capacity. But either way, I wish it would let the battery run down to zero, instead of stopping at the halfway point. Most people are going to use it as an action camera instead of a dash cam like I do. But then again, most people don't ride 10-14 hours straight in a day. And there is no battery big enough to accommodate that no matter what

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Nitrox posted:

But then again, most people don't ride 10-14 hours straight in a day.

How in the world do you ride for 10+ hours straight without your butt falling off? Copious/frequent Romanian deadlifts? Tell me your secrets.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t think downscaling the resolution would really affect the battery life, and it actually looks terrible. I tried it before. I use it as a dashcam, and when I am going to be more than 90minutes I keep a battery in my interior pocket. Possibly a terrible idea, but works well enough. On my next bike I’ll probably wire an accessory socket or two up to the handle bars.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

epswing posted:

How in the world do you ride for 10+ hours straight without your butt falling off? Copious/frequent Romanian deadlifts? Tell me your secrets.

It's a chore, sure. But sometimes I'd rather spend more time at a destination, and then suffer a long ride back home so I can be at work on Monday. The trick is to make it as comfortable for yourself as possible, a good seat cushion, lots of noise reduction, throttle lock or cruise control, you know, common sense stuff. We rode Philly to Daytona in one shot to beat the rain for example. 980 miles or so in 17 hours.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Review time for the bike gear I bought in the past few months

Sedici Alexi 2 mesh pants

I bought these last spring and have used them throughout the Portland summer, fall, and winter. 30F all the way to 95F.

It's fine with both liners in rain and cold temps. It's too hot in the summer even without liners.

Dainese Tempest D-Dry Short Gloves

I bought these recently as my main rainy weather gloves. They have some armor built in and a nice squeegee. Gloves are adequate down to 30F, with heated grips and bark busters. They are definitely dry. The liner feels a little loose when I take the glove off.

Olympia AG5 jacket

I picked this up used, mainly to get something hi viz. However, it also fits much better than my previous jacket. The rain liner is it's own jacket which is nice.
Also great in low temps and it's dry.

Shoei RF1400

Bought to replace my aging and loud Shark helmet. I love the Shoei! It's much quieter and warmer than the Shark was. The very precise opening/closing mechanism of the visor is excellent, letting me leave it open just a tiny crack for defogging.
And that's my only negative: even with a pin lock visor and all four vents wide open, I still get fogging on the visor most days. Need to crack it just a bit and it's fine. I suspect that my hiding behind a tall windshield doesn't help the issue.
It's really only a problem when I'm stopped for gas or longer lights. Need air flow to clear the fogging.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 12, 2024

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nitrox posted:

It's a chore, sure. But sometimes I'd rather spend more time at a destination, and then suffer a long ride back home so I can be at work on Monday. The trick is to make it as comfortable for yourself as possible, a good seat cushion, lots of noise reduction, throttle lock or cruise control, you know, common sense stuff. We rode Philly to Daytona in one shot to beat the rain for example. 980 miles or so in 17 hours.

What bike is that on, is it a Trident? That's a long way especially on a naked bike. I think my longest day was London to Zermatt which is 1000km and was more than enough on a 600RR.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bike gear wise I need some good winter gloves, I got some Alpinestars ones but they just suck, not very warm and I just don't like them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

What bike is that on, is it a Trident? That's a long way especially on a naked bike. I think my longest day was London to Zermatt which is 1000km and was more than enough on a 600RR.

Oh god, I hope your wrists were okay. Mine is a cb1100, no electronic fuckery of any kind. But I changed the riding position with bar risers, footrests and the Corbin seat. I usually have a touring bike of sorts, but this is the only one I got at the moment, so I just ride it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

knox_harrington posted:

Bike gear wise I need some good winter gloves, I got some Alpinestars ones but they just suck, not very warm and I just don't like them.

Same, the reference to Dainese Tempest D-Dry got my hopes up because they also make a long gauntlet, but I'm an S in Dainese and they don't seem to be available. I've got these Cortech scarabs that I don't trust to hold up in a crash that now fit like oven mitts but they're the only thing I have with a built-in visor wipe. I bought some of those separate squeegees off amazon and they technically fit the fingers (of a summer glove), but oy they're cumbersome.

I will say I feel like warmth is best addressed by muffs, fairings and/or heated grips, but the squeegee, just can't live without it in fog or wet season and would like to find one not attached to a trash gauntlet.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I have the previous gen of these https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/shop/clothing/riderwear/gloves/alder-2-in-1-gore-tex-motorcycle-gloves-mgvs21318

Since they come with new versions every year you usually find them discounted pretty often. They're also an add-on product, so they're usually reasonably priced from the get go.
I like the 2 in 1 function, but don't try to change "mode" if your hands are wet from rain. they're warm and comfortable, and handles rain good.

They also have a thicker version.
https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/shop/clothing/riderwear/gloves/norgaard-gore-tex-leather-gloves-with-primaloft-insulation-mgva22004

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know how this happened but ever since I started riding I've been fixated on dislocating my pinky during an off so one of the dealbreakers for me on gloves is not having that little pinky webbing that keeps you from hyperextending it. I'm honestly not even sure how much it would help in a true high speed high impact fall since I have to assume you'd just get mangled above the webbing in spectacular fashion. That's kept me from so many otherwise good pairs of gloves, and I'm still looking for a good winter set :(

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Sounds like you need a little lobster in your life

Why hyperextend one finger, when you can go full lobster instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To hell with your spoiled baby, I need those gloves!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Supradog posted:

I have the previous gen of these https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/shop/clothing/riderwear/gloves/alder-2-in-1-gore-tex-motorcycle-gloves-mgvs21318

Since they come with new versions every year you usually find them discounted pretty often. They're also an add-on product, so they're usually reasonably priced from the get go.
I like the 2 in 1 function, but don't try to change "mode" if your hands are wet from rain. they're warm and comfortable, and handles rain good.

They also have a thicker version.
https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/shop/clothing/riderwear/gloves/norgaard-gore-tex-leather-gloves-with-primaloft-insulation-mgva22004

The first pair of gloves have little vents on the knuckles, and I can assure you those are terrible in cold weather.

The gauntlet part of the winter glove is meant to go over the jacket to prevent wind penetration up the sleeve. And those look really really tight to do that job properly. Both of my winter gloves are made in a similarly tight fashion, and it's a struggle.

Those triumph gloves do look very nice though

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supradog posted:

Ride long and prosper.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Supradog posted:

I have lobsters (not these) for cycling and they are the best. My hands are super cold all the time and these are a must below 40.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Midjack posted:

Ride long and prosper.

you joke, but these work so much better than regular winter gloves at keeping your hands warm. midpoint between winter gloves and bar muffs on both axes of the effective/dork-core matrix

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I think I am going to try some Rukka gloves. Anyone tried their winter ones? I really like that these have a double cuff, that has worked very well when I had some Daineses that had it.

https://luhta.com/global/en/p/frosto-70874778r

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I wanted to get those but couldn't find them in my size in the US

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Those look really nice, they're even in stock at a shop 10 minutes ride from work. About €160 so not cheap, but I really want to upgrade my bad weather gloves since my current also not cheap pair (alpinestars WR-2 v2) aren't actually properly waterproof and also not super comfortable and not really gauntlety enough to pull over the jacket sleeve easily.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh cool if you go and look at them an update would be great.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'll keep that in mind. The double sleeve intrigues me. I'm fixing to go spend some money on gear, but I probably won't be able for a week or more, weatyer is about to turn wintery again.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I have thoroughly joined the Klim klan now. In the past year with various sales and closeout prices, mostly from motorcyclegear.com, I've got a heavily discounted Induction mesh jacket, Induction gloves, Marrakesh jacket, a couple merino t-shirts, two sets of summer base layers, two neck gaiters, and a pair of pants.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Got the Marrakesh jacket for the season as well. Unbelievably comfortable. Currently using it with rain jacket over top and down jacket underneath for close to freezing temps and am comfortable. With all those layers its still lighter and feels better than any multiplayer Goretex suit I've tried. Fairly certain this will do as my only motorcycle jacket. Curious to see during the summer here in Norway weather it gets too hot or not.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Cataffy posted:

Got the Marrakesh jacket for the season as well. Unbelievably comfortable. Currently using it with rain jacket over top and down jacket underneath for close to freezing temps and am comfortable. With all those layers its still lighter and feels better than any multiplayer Goretex suit I've tried. Fairly certain this will do as my only motorcycle jacket. Curious to see during the summer here in Norway weather it gets too hot or not.

I use exactly this setup, with a Scott rain jacket and have done multiple 5 hour days on a naked RE hunter350 and been perfectly warm. Trousers with the same combo as well, it works great and it's basically a very light/small all seasons solution, great if you are traveling.

I do the same trick with washing up gloves under my armoured gloves but that might a bit mental

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My ancient Sidi boots have finally given up the ghost.

Thinking Astars SMX 6 to replace them with. Anything else I should look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Arson Daily posted:

Thinking Astars SMX 6 to replace them with. Anything else I should look at?

I have the vented version of those and am happy with them. very comfortable from day 1. you do feel the airflow if your feet get sweaty. warm enough with thick socks into the low 40s.