Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Love my SMX6s vented, I live in a very hot place and they do very well in the heat keeping air moving through the boot. Also I dropped my bike practicing in the parking lot and my passenger peg would have probably crushed the fibula bump on my foot, but instead I felt almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have the SMX Plus, ventilated. The fitment seems more secure to me. There is an internal bootie (non-separable) with a draw string and a clasp at the calf, versus just velcro.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm not sure OP was after ventilated boots but if so I have some Sidi Rex which are pretty great in hot weather.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I have the SMX6 Drystar, and think they're very comfortable. I've stood in some ankle deep mud puddles with them and not gotten wet.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

def looking for vented since it gets hot in the summer in northern Nevada so gonna go for the SMX's. thanks for the input everybody

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

some kinda jackal posted:

I have the same unit, only by Ottocast (Maxca is the other "big" name company that sells these). I have mostly positive experiences with the unit, but I did have a rocky start where it would just randomly blackscreen lock up until I pulled power. I ended up flashing the Maxca firmware onto it (again, same hardware for the most part, just rebadged) since it gave me the option of customizing the splash screen and had a better pre-Carplay UI and it's been working 100% since. At the price I paid I'm more than happy to just replace it again if it's faulty hardware.

And yeah, my experience with the actual day to day functionality is very positive now. Feels really responsive, and it's nice to have controls that don't rely on my phone being unlocked. I live and die by GPS maps so it's also really pleasant to have Apple and Google maps at my disposal off my phone.

The cradles are dirt cheap and readily available off their site so I just bought two extras and now I pull the actual device and slap it onto whatever bike I plan to ride that day.

I actually don't remember if it came with the 12v adapter AND USB adapters, but it was nice to have both. I hardwired the 12v to one of my bike's OEM NAV 12v cables, the rest I just connected to USB adapters.

I am so used to having CarPlay available when I'm going somewhere that this was one of my no-brainer slam-dunk puchases that I would make again in a heartbeat.

The Ottocast rear mount is AMPS compatible but it uses M3 screws, and the screws it comes with were 13mm which is almost useless for any actual AMPS mount. I just amazon'd a set of 20mm M3 screws and everything was A+ chefkiss.

It's not tiny, but it's not huge either. I have since moved it around on the DRZ more parallel to the bar so it doesn't stick up like a sore thumb, but it's still noticeably there.

e: Rummaging around my parts bin and I think it does come with both USB and direct-12v adapters :)

Someone on my motorcycle's subreddit posted their setup with this unit. It's hilariously big on this particular bike when it's sticking straight out. You probably can't look from one screen to the other without really changing your eyes' focus

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah that's waaay too high for me. I'd rather just mount it to my helmet peak at that point. On the DRZ I ended up with the shortest RAM mount I could find and the angle that got it closest to the bar that I could. I'll snap a better pic once I get it out from under the cover.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I put mine out of my normal field of view entirely, so I would have to look down in order to see the screen. This way it's not distracting in any way. Only raised it up when it was important enough to keep the screen visible, riding in the city with many turns and direction changes

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Gear question.

I've seen somebody rocking wind blocking covers on their handle guards. They were way smaller than hippo hands, just large enough to cover the guards. Does anyone know who makes such things and where I can find it?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Might’ve been my Tusks, though they’re still pretty big.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
So I had the good fortune of not knowing that mounting your iPhone to your bike completely fries the autofocus on the camera so I just use that as my GPS now and got some helmet speakers and a bluetooth dongle, the audio nav instructions suffice 95% of the time and if I'm unsure I can just do a quick glance. I do wish somebody just made a small screen thing with audio navigation because that's exactly the sort of thing I'd be interested in replacing the current set up with.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Like this? https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/867974

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That Garmin is exactly what we've been trying to replace with a $100 Amazon screen projection unit. It does require a subscription to use with certain functions, I forgot the details. It is a useful piece of technology though

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

yeah if the screen was half that size lol. I just want a quick glance on where to go, I'm not trying to watch goodfellas while riding my motorbike

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have a very small whistle that’s developed in my helmet since I returned from a road trip last year and cleaned the whole thing and re-greased the hinges. Arai Defiant-X.

I am at a loss trying to figure out where it’s coming from. I thinkits on the left side, which is the side I’ve attached my Cardo, but I’m not 100% sure.

Any thoughts on narrowing it down? I’ve checked for obstructions in the vents, tried closing and reopening them one at a time, pushing my visor down harder with a finger, and everything else I can (relatively) safely try at the 50 mph+ I need to be going for it to show up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you have access to an air tank and hobby airbrush you might try shooting air around the helmet to locate the whistling parts. Canned air might also work.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I do have those things. Thanks for the idea.

(It will take me a good week to get off my rear end and try it, but now the seed has been planted)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can temporarily remove the Cardo and see if the sound stops.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Christ why the gently caress is it sticking out like that?

Re the Garnin Zumo I have the previous model (the new one came out like a month after I got mine grr) and it's very good. It gets data from my phone and has traffic and weather updates which I don't think I have to subscribe for.

You do need to get power into it especially for long rides, it dims the screen on battery.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I just bought my first race suit ever and was wondering about sizing and break in. On paper it should fit me with a bit extra in every dimension but this thing is tight as hell. the arms, legs and belly all fit pretty good but i feel hunched over when standing up. Normal? will it stretch the more I wear it?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Feeling that way standing is reasonably normal. How is it on the bike in a tuck?

And yes it'll break in some as you wear it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Dainese Tempest D-Dry Short Gloves

I bought these recently as my main rainy weather gloves. They have some armor built in and a nice squeegee. Gloves are adequate down to 30F, with heated grips and bark busters. They are definitely dry. The liner feels a little loose when I take the glove off.

Update on these DRY gloves. They are definitely not dry after a 30 minute ride through some more serious rain.
Still good gloves, but dry rain gloves they ain't

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

opengl posted:

Feeling that way standing is reasonably normal. How is it on the bike in a tuck?

And yes it'll break in some as you wear it.

it feels pretty good just stiff. I think i just need to get used to it since I havent worn leathers in years and never a one piece suit before only 2 piece's.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Some people will jump in the shower to help break in fast but that seems extreme to me.

I got the bathroom nice and steamy with the shower running and just did deep squats/lunges in there for a while. Between that and the first few track days it broke in nicely.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You don’t stand up on your bike(probably), so as long as it feels good in riding position that’s what matters most.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doing deep squats in my steamy bathroom to break in my gimp suit

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

hey we're accepting of other peoples "interests" here on the Something Awful forums

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Need to know what sick color scheme you got tho

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Glistening Black

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

https://onexusa.com/collections/road-racing-ready-to-race-suits/products/onex-usa-xr22-pro-race-leather-racing-suit-blue-fluor-yellow

I can assure you the only thing from the USA is the home depot box it came in

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

Update on these DRY gloves. They are definitely not dry after a 30 minute ride through some more serious rain.
Still good gloves, but dry rain gloves they ain't

Sorry to hear. Maybe DRY is an acronym, not a function

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Definitely Rain Yielding

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My packtalk bold is good for like 30 minutes now so I ordered a replacement battery. Worst case I'll upgrade to the Edge or something, but I wanted to check if anyone knows whether the Edge can use the same in-helmet accessories as the Bold, keeping the same connectors into a new helmet cradle? Or whether they replaced the speaker and mic connectors with something new.

I don't really want to re-wire both of my helmets, especially since I have the nice JBL speakers in both., if all I have to do is swap out the cradle in the event my battery upgrade goes south.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Not really sure but my usual method for figuring stuff like that out is to just find the part number for the accessory kit, part or whatever and trace it back to what models are compatible.

I hate wiring speakers in so hoping in advance you don't need to do that lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah that’s a good idea. I’ll have to see if they sell the speakers or mic separately of the “second helmet” kit which would include a model-specific base. Thanks!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

Definitely Rain Yielding

Damp Rider? Yes

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Update on my Marrakesh Jacket. Works excellently with layering. Have been riding down to 3 C on the Highway for extended periods in a naked bike with a base layer, sweater, down puffer, Marrakesh, and rain jacket over top and been nice and cozy. And even with all those layers its still feels lighter and more comfortable than a layered Gore-Tex jacket.

I love love... loved it. Until the seam on the inside of the left jacket arm (elbow crook basically) somehow split/tore. I'm not really sure how. It's a fairly new jacket, not really used that much. I just noticed when I grabbed it out of the closet to go to work. I've filed a claim with the store who will take it to Klim. Hopefully I get a replacement fairly quickly, as spring is coming fast and hard, and my brother's ratty old Lindstrands jacket is a massive downgrade. Providing this gets sorted and it was just a defect of some sort this will still be the best, most versatile, and comfiest motorcycle jacket in the world.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My son's sedici pants fell apart like that. Probably less than 25 hours riding time.
Thankfully CycleGear exchanged it without hassle, but that's their store brand so I think that's to be expected. I'm glad he didn't have to deal with the maker directly.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The Cycle Gear brands (they have several) are very much "good enough" and used to give a lifetime warranty on some of the items. Not anymore, but I hear they still replace garments with very little fuss without checking your receipt. And I salute them for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I bought the photochromic visor for my RF1400. I need prescription glasses and I don't always remember to bring my Rx sunglasses.
Love this visor! The transition is gradual and almost not noticeable. Sun in my face or night riding, either works great. Spendy but I think I'd buy it again if it got hosed up.