Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, did "the djoker" just get disqualified from the US open for whacking a ball into a refs face?

oliwan fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Dinged 'em real good

https://twitter.com/SportsLine/status/1302704618179182592

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
he is literally the worst human being

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Considering Djokovic has basically turned into the tennis equivalent of Tom Brady, is this his losing to the Giants twice?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Go Shapovalov! :canada:

Don't be a Raonic (it would have been so cool if he won 2016 Wimbledon :smith: )

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Looking real good for Shapo so far

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t watch a lot of tennis outside the majors, but it feels weird for the US Open to be so quiet...especially at night which is always so fun and lively under the lights.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

It's still the most lol US Open ever just for the Djoko DQ lol

e: c'mon Shapo - I believe.

dominating the 4th set 3-0 - fifth set should be great

Hirez fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 9, 2020

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Hirez posted:

Go Shapovalov! :canada:

Don't be a Raonic (it would have been so cool if he won 2016 Wimbledon :smith: )

Hirez posted:

Looking real good for Shapo so far

Hirez posted:

It's still the most lol US Open ever just for the Djoko DQ lol

e: c'mon Shapo - I believe.

dominating the 4th set 3-0 - fifth set should be great

Lol, sorry bro.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

lol I'm used to it by now :argh: Bianca is the only non choker :unsmith:

so weird seeing a final 4 without any of the big 4

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

figure we'll make this the new tennis thread since it starts with Djoko getting owned and is funny every time...

since then, Dominic Thiem/Naomi Osaka won the US Open, Iga Swiatek won the womens french open :poland:

the french open men finals are tomorrow with a Djoko vs Nadal final at 9am EST

Hirez fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 11, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I do think it's probably best to just have one tennis thread, there's not really enough interest on SA to support separate threads for the majors and at least in a general thread you can discuss smaller tournaments or other stuff as well. Imagine all the fun we could have had posting about Novak's claim from earlier this year that positive thoughts can transform contaminated water into clean water.

We could ask the mods to update the title whenever a major comes around.

Anyway Swiatek's great and I hope Rafa wins today.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

I do think it's probably best to just have one tennis thread, there's not really enough interest on SA to support separate threads for the majors and at least in a general thread you can discuss smaller tournaments or other stuff as well. Imagine all the fun we could have had posting about Novak's claim from earlier this year that positive thoughts can transform contaminated water into clean water.

We could ask the mods to update the title whenever a major comes around.

Anyway Swiatek's great and I hope Rafa wins today.
There is (was) a genera tennis thread but nobody really posted in it. I make threads for each of the slams but they don’t get a ton of activity. I skipped the French this year because it was pretty uninteresting until this final.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
We are all Nadal fans today.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

yea it was weird being on the "go rafa" side for the first time in like history for me

Hirez fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 14, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
3 unforced errors from Nadal in the first 2 sets of the French Open final. Ridiculous tennis.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Kyrgios am I right? :allears:

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Kyrgios is fun, but has already peaked imo.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Nadal's OCD routine is exhausting to watch

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
EDIT: Wrong Thread

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wimbledon starts today. Djoko easily going to win it, probably won't have to try too hard.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I want to see Djokovic fail, because I think it would make me feel good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I made a Wimbledon thread you jerks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971914

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The lack of tennis interest on this forum is shocking. I had to dig deep to find this thread.

I had totally forgotten that Djokovic was rightly thrown out of the 2020 US Open. In case you for some insane reason didn't know this already the last few days have been further evidence that

oliwan posted:

he is literally the worst human being

Xabi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 10, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in fairness I don't think interactions between vaccines and EPO has been researched

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I'm not gonna lie I was hoping to wake up to news of him being deprted. Feels like lovely anti vaxxers got a win by him being allowed to stay.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Novaxx Djokovic is the loving worst

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Xabi posted:

The lack of tennis interest on this forum is shocking. I had to dig deep to find this thread.

Yeah even during Slams we're lucky to get a page or two of posts.

I have no idea if Novak will be allowed to play or not. IMO Tennis Australia hosed up by not just sticking to a hard "vaccinated players only" stance. They've painted themselves into a corner now and there's no way to come out of this looking competent.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I hope they let him get to the final and arrest him for lying on his application as he walks off the court. Would definitely be the funniest outcome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hirez posted:

Novaxx Djokovic is the loving worst

Worse than Serbian nationalist meeting commanders who took part in genocide djokovic?

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
The Aus Open draw was released yesterday. There are some absolutely fireworks matches for R1! A few fun ones I will definitely be watching:

Men's:
Norrie (12) v Korda - Norrie had a great 2021, and Korda is being touted as one of the future stars of the game
Berrettini (7) v Nakashima - Nakashima has potential to be a bit of a dark horse this tournament, but has a tall task in front of him for Round 1
Rune v Kwon - should be a close match
Basilashvili (21) v Murray - these two have had two recent close matches with Murry coming out on top in both
Evans (24) v Goffin - assuming Goffin is healthy
Popyrin v Rinderknech - Popyrin will have the local crowd behind him and Rinderknech will be a great R1 test

Ladies:
Kenin (11) v Keys - Keys has hit a return to form lately and apparently had a great pre-season, while Kenin won the AO in 2020 but has been in a slump so far this year
Gauff (18) v Wang - Gauff should roll her in straights, but Wang is always game
Badosa (8) v Tomljanovic - These two played a few nights ago with Badosa winning in 3. Badosa has been in great form this year, but with some time to make adjustments and the local crowd backing her we could see Tomljanovic come out on top this time.
Raducanu (17) v Stephens - Raducanu's run through qualifiers to with the US Open last year could well be a once-in-a-lifetime achievement, but she only took a single game against Rybakina this week. Stephens is a solid mid-tier contender. Both have had a few distractions in the off-season, Stephens organising her wedding, and Raducanu being shot to newfound fame so I think this will be a gritty game. Tough match for both of them.

The cloud over the Men's side is obviously whether or not Djokovic will still play, as there will be some reshuffling of the draw if he doesn't. At this stage his run to the final looks very easy. Nadal on the other hand has an absolute gauntlet in front of him. I think there will be some money to be made betting against Nadal in R3 or R4.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Novak’s visa is cancelled

:lol:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Next we know the aussies are going to lock him up in a concentration camp in Nauru

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
This is the best day of my life

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I hope they deport him into a volcano.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Djokovic torpedoing his chances of moving clear at the top of the all-time list by repeatedly catching Covid and never getting the loving harmless jab is hilarious.

From his personal perspective he is of course rich enough to do whatever the hell he likes but he's giving up the chance to go down in history with nigh on unbreakable record because of some pointless dumb bullshit. Wherever his numbers eventually end up banning himself from his most successful hunting ground is going to lower them.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

nawilo_420 posted:

This is the best day of my life

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

More like

Novax Djocovid :smug:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice