Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Problem description: My wifi keeps disconnecting multiple times during the day, sometimes every couple of minutes. I had this problem previously where I'm pretty sure a Win10 update was at fault - my wifi couldn't hold a connection for more than 1-2 minutes, it was practically unusable. Back then I've tried pretty much the same solutions as described below, until I downgraded my network driver back to version 17 - it looked like this has fixed the issue.

Now, about a week ago there was a Windows update, and it seems like the problem has partially returned. When I turn the computer on, the wifi will work for a few minutes and lose connection. Then I run the diagnostic tool, it will reset the network card, and after a couple of times of this the connection will 'stabilise' and it will work without interruption for a few hours if I'm lucky. If at this point I reset the computer, the entire cycle will repeat - wifi loses connection -> run diagnostic tool -> wifi card is reset -> wifi loses connection again, repeat 2-3 times, then it'll be good for a while.

I do have pi-hole working as my DHCP server. Don't think this is causing the problem - I have other devices on my network, all also connecting to WiFi with no issues - work laptop on Win10, my laptop on Ubuntu, Iphone and android phone. Doesn't seem like a problem with the internet or my network / modem.

I have bluetooth switched off completely, if that makes any difference. Only wireless device on this computer is a keyboard.

Attempted fixes: I have tried pretty much all fixes suggested by googling - changing WiFi channels, turning off 5Ghz band, resetting network settings, ipconfig /flushdns, etc. First time this happened rolling back the network driver worked, but

Recent changes:
Windows update is the only thing that comes to mind, I haven't changed any hardware for the last ~2 years

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

System specs:
Mobo: ASRock H97 Pro4
Network Card: GIGABYTE GC-WB867D-I PCI-Ex, 17.15.0.5 driver version
pi-hole as DHCP server

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

WiFi cards can be flaky at times. You might get to the point where you want to try another one.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Goddamn poo poo I think I solved it. There was an additional hidden setting for band selection I had to switch to 2,4Ghz

I had to go Control panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and sharing center, then go to my network status and click Wireless Properties, then click the 'Enable Intel connection settings', go Configure, and loving finally there was Band Selection that must have been reset to default during Windows update or something.

gently caress you Microsoft, gently caress you Intel, you pieces of poo poo why are there like 5 different hidden places with wifi settings, holy gently caress destroy all computers

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Welp, that did not actually fix it, worked for a day with no disconnects, but that could have been coincidence. Now it's back to being annoying. Updated BIOS, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If you want to do more troubleshooting you could try:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

inSSIDer shows if there are a lot of WiFi conflicts in your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I think this isn't a signal strength or conflict issue, it looks like the network adapter just crashes completely and stops seeing any networks. Other devices in the same room work fine.

Probably best to just replace it. I've exhausted all options I could think of. Thanks for the effort anyway.