Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Advanced Squad Leader: Playing this alone is such a HASL

Advanced Squad Leader - I survived Stalingrad and all I got was this lousy LP

ASL on VASL with VASSAL - Let's Play +35 Years of Advanced Squad Leader

|| Current Update: RPT-54 An Italian Civil War [Part 1] ||

Advanced Squad Leader. Originally released in 1985 and improving on the original Squad Leader system, itself having been released in 1977, is a hex-based wargame that focuses almost entirely on the Second World War. It uses geomorphic boards along with counters representing various nations to play out company- and battalion-sized combat situations that took place during the war.

Squad Leader originally featured German, Russian, and American counters before expansions added some minor countries, the French and British, and expanded on some OoBs. Advanced Squad Leader changed things up so much that Squad Leader itself became irrelevant and has stood the test of time as an incredibly complex yet infinitely replayable board game. Unlike SL, ASL's first module (set, expansion, etc) only had the Russians, Germans, and Finns. All other major nations would eventually be added in modules specifically designed around them. These would feature scenarios designed around them, documentation about their weapons and vehicles, and large amounts of counters to fulfill all your cardboard needs.

Since its original release, there have been thousands of additional scenarios created by third party groups, providing historical context and flavor for many of the events that occurred during World War 2. This has not been the only conflict represented on the cardstock and cardboard battleground, with World War 1, the Korean War, and more modern conflicts also having content produced for them. I've gotten a bunch of these scenarios over the years, as well as a spreadsheet that lists all of the existing scenarios (as of some time 2019) that I'm updating as I get more scenario packs.

Now, previous iterations of my ASL goings on have died a slow death, mostly because I was playing against myself. This time I have an actual opponent, and I can stop belly-aching about having all these scenarios and no time or person to play them against. Consequently, updates will be attempted at a regular pace, and I will be streaming my games as things progress. Some scenarios may be skipped, either because my record-keeping was incorrect and I don't actually have a particular scenario, or because it is an outdated duplicate (We will see this frequently around important battle dates).

Questions about ASL are welcome and I will do what I can to answer them. For anyone who wishes to participate, whether in being a named leader, or maybe some limited selections on initial deployment and tactics in a particular scenario. As well, votes will be taken from time to time to choose a side, either to keep things fresh or because you want to see a particular scenario played from a particular side.

So strap yourselves in, enjoy as both snake eyes and boxcars make or break my day and travel (most of) the world and see battles and skirmishes from 1908 to 1978 (or so)

The List of Scenarios
The ever-updating List

Table of Contents
Scenario 1: Meet The Madsens [FT-116] [1][2][3]
Scenario 2: The Argun Knot [FT-117] [1][2][3]
Scenario 3: Breakout! [TGW-1] [1][2]
Scenario 4: First Sting [DH 1.1] [1][2]
Scenario 5: The Tsar's Infernal Machines [O5] [1][2][3]
Scenario 6: The Fox's First Bite [TGW-2] [1][2]
Scenario 7: Exit Plans [FT-118] [1][2][3]
Scenario 8: Calmness Under Fire [FT-119] [1][2]
Scenario 9: Mannerheim's Parade [FAI-25] [1][2]
Scenario 10: Never Say Navoz [FT-120] [1]
Scenario 11: Red Star Express [FT-121] [1][2]
Scenario 12: Grasp The Wind [FT-122] [1][2]
Scenario 13: Schurter's Sortie [FT-123] [1]
Scenario 14: Deadly Sleigh Ride [FT-124] [1][2][3]
Scenario 15: Russian Purges [FT-125] [1][2]
Scenario 16: Kabuki Theater [FT-126] [1][2][3]
Scenario 17: In The Mouth Of Madness [FT-127] [1][2]
Scenario 18: Punitive Expedition [FT-128] [1]
Scenario 19: At The Crossroads [CH-53] [1][2]
Scenario 20: A Victory For Early Polish Armor [FE-1] [1][2]
Scenario 21: Just What The Doctor Ordered [FT-129] [1][2]
Scenario 22: Mongolian BBQ [FT-130] [1][2]
Scenario 23: Costly Mistake [FT-131] [1][2]
Scenario 24: Visions of Grandeur [FT-132] [1][2][3]
Scenario 25: The Baron's Luck [FT-133] [1][2][3]
Scenario 26: Freebooter Relish [FT-134] [1][2]
Scenario 27: Gotta Light? [FT-135] [1]
Scenario 28: Lack of Discernment [DB-081] [1][2]
Scenario 29: Atrocities Beget Atrocities [DB-091] [1][2]
Scenario 30: And So It Begins [DB-112] [1][2]
Scenario 31: First Soviet Lost [FT-180] [1]
Scenario 32: Armored Samurai [BFP-26] [1][2]
Scenario 33: Recruiting Tactics [LM-1] [1]
Scenario 34: Resisting the Constriction [LM-2] [1][2]
Scenario 35: Rif War [GS-8/GS-9] [1]
Scenario 36: Oviedo 34 [FT-18] [1]
Scenario 37: The Culling At Xiang River [LM-3] [1]
Scenario 38: Taking A Different Route [LM-4] [1]
Scenario 39: Bridging The Wu [LM-5] [1]
Scenario 40: Chapei Chockblock [BFP-27] [1]
Scenario 41: Forced to Reconsider [LM-6] [1]
Scenario 42: More Than He Could Chew [LM-7] [1]
Scenario 43: The Race To Loushan Pass [LM-8] [1]
Scenario 44: Raiders of the Chaco [PBP-21] [1]
Scenario 45: Return To The Wu River [LM-9] [1]
Scenario 46: Bridge of Life [FT-146] [1]
Scenario 47: Our Place In The Sun [ASL-253] [1]
Scenario 48: Those Left Behind [LM-10] [1]
Scenario 49: Medieval Warfare [LM-11] [1]
Scenario 50: Criniti's Escape [ASL-254] [1]
Scenario 51: Two Coins For The Ferryman [LM-12] [1]
Scenario 52: The Bitwoded Gamble [ASL-255] [1]
Scenario 53: Fierce Tiger In The Fog [LM-13] [1]
Scenario 54: Luting Bridge [LM-14] [1]
Scenario 55: Lazikou Pass [LM-15] [1]
Scenario 56: The Golden Mountain [ASL-256] [1]
Scenario 57: Cutting Off The Tail [LM-16] [1]
Scenario 58: Circle the Wagons! [ASL-257] [1]
Scenario 59: More Than Four Horsemen [LM-17] [1]
Scenario 60: Tanned Hides [CH-161] [1]
Scenario 61: The Four Courts [CH-162] [1]
Scenario 62: Bruised at Bruree [CH-163] [1]
Scenario 63: Forgotten Years [CH-37] [1]
Scenario 64: The First Step [CX-04] [1]
Scenario 65: Kebur Zabagna [ASL-258] [1]
Scenario 66: A Leches En Laraches [FT-19] [1]
Scenario 67: Viva La Republica! [FT-20] [1]
Scenario 68: Bridegrooms of Death [CH-170] [1]
Scenario 69: Le Morte Homme [PJ 3.1] [1]
Scenario 70: The Wells of Borgut [ASL-259] [1][2]
Scenario 71: El Alcazar De Toledo [FT-22] [1]
Scenario 72: Last Hope At New Flower [ASL-260] [1]
Scenario 73: Not One Inch [FT-23] [1]
Scenario 74: Flight of the Intruders [FT-147] [1]
Scenario 75: Son Servera [SCW-03] [1]
Scenario 76: Cuando Te Vas? [FT-24] [1]
Scenario 77: 21 Nations at La Canada [FT-25] [1]
Scenario 78: Mourir à Madrid [GR-06] [1]
Scenario 79: Dombrowski's Stand [SCW-05] [1]
Scenario 80: Sticks & Stones [HazMo-15] [1]
Scenario 81: Resist or Die [SCW-07] [1]
Scenario 82: Internacionale Follies [SCW-14] [1]
Scenario 83: Far From Home [AP-54] [1]
Scenario 84: Stackin' 'Em High [HazMo-17] [1]
Scenario 85: Pingarron Hill [SCW-04] [1]
Scenario 86: Italian Brothers-In-Arms [SCW-11] [1]
Scenario 87: Italian Brothers [ASL-137] [1]
Scenario 88: Mussolini's Soldiers [EP-97] [1]
Scenario 89: Foreign Legions [HazMo-12] [1]
Scenario 90: The Road to Torija [SCW-09] [1]
Scenario 91: Brihuega Disaster [SCW-06] [1]
Scenario 92: A Civil War, Not A Gentleman's War [PBP-11] [1]
Scenario 93: Ring of Iron [SCW-12] [1]
Scenario 94: The Beleaguered Capital [HazMo-11] [1]
Scenario 95: Falangist Pride [SCW-10] [1]
Scenario 96: Jarama Proving Ground [FrF-01] [1]
Scenario 97: Full Immersion Baptism [YASL-01] [1]
Scenario 98: Il Palacio de Ibarra [A256.1] [1]
Scenario 99: Los Ejercitos Nuevos [WCW-06] [1]
Scenario 100: L'Inferno Fascista [HazMo-16] [1]
Scenario 101: Vertice Mocha [FT-26] [1]
Scenario 102: An Italian Civil War [RPT-54] [1]

Thread Votes
Vote #1 (Red Russians or Czech Legion - 1918)
Vote #2 (Bolshevik Partisans vs US Expeditionary Forces - 1919)
Vote #3 (Red Russians vs Bolshevik Partisans - 1920)
Vote #4 (Russians vs Polish - 1920s)
Vote #5 (Mongolians vs White Russians - 1921)
Vote #6 (The Long March - Choosing Sides)
Vote #7 (Spanish Civil War - Choosing Sides for LFT#6)

Additional Bits and Bobs
A small primer on ASL
A great summary of the different nationalities by LatwPIAT
How to read ASL counters

ASL Armoury *Updated 29-Jan-24*

Microprose's Avalon Hill's Squad Leader
Part 0 - An introduction to the game
Part 1 - Boots on the ground, lead in the air

Twitch Channel - For Live Games Tuesdays [8pm EST] + Saturdays [8pm EST]

My deepest heartfelt thanks go out to the following people:
Hypnobeard
Stew
Gary
RootinPutin
Sean

Without you, this dorky project would be far more lifeless for me, and less enjoyable.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Reserved

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'll probably need two

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FT-116: Meet The Madsens

Location: Argun River, East of Manchouli, Barga Province, Manchuria

Date: 27-April-1908

The Northwest Manchurian province of Barga, bordering Russia and Outer Mongolia, had been ruled by the Chinese for several centuries. Russia, looking to expand towards the Pacific, was allowed to build the Chinese Eastern Railway through Barga which drew thousands of Chinese. A conflict arose over the immigration of Chinese farmers taking land from the Mongolian ranchers. The Qing (Ch'ing) Dynasty, or Manchus, dispatched infantry and Loyal Guards with the new Madsen LMG to take care of the problem.

Above is the full map in play (future scenarios may have this image cropped heavily, or timg'ed). The victory hexes have been marked in coloured hexagons. The different colours is to indicate that each building must be controlled entirely, and only counts for 1 point each.

Victory Conditions
The Chinese win at the end of Game Turn 5 if they amass 15 or more CVP (Casualty Victory Points) as well as earn 3 or more LVP. or;
The Chinese win at Game End if they earn 7 or more LVP (LVP is calculated as one per Blue Hex controlled, and one per building controlled).

The Chinese lose immediately if there are no Good Order Elite or 1st Line Chinese MMC (Multi-Man Counter) in play.

Mongolian Setup/Strategy

The Chinese (not yet shown) start at the bottom of this view, and have to take control of the buildings as mentioned. I prefer a forward defense here, as there are options to break Line of Sight while still heading towards to the rear to remain active at the objectives. Additionally, the placement I have is focused on the center, with weaker wings. This is mainly so that if I have to retreat, I have a more powerful core, rather than two weak sides, which could be caught out individually. Additionally, I want to maximize the open ground to punish my opponent, and have at least one trap ready for them.

Our forces comprise 9 Partisan units, with a 10th as a half-squad (instead of full squads). To support this, I have two leaders, and 7 concealment counters. Concealment counters are essentially fake units meant to fool your opponent. This trades strength for time, which is very useful in what is often shorter-than-expected games. I also have reinforcements coming in on Turn 4, provided I survive that long.

The surprise in store for my opponent is the shaded Partisan unit on the left, in the woods of hex 44O8 [Map, Row, Digit]. That is what's called a HIP (Hidden Initial Placement) unit. Entirely invisible to my opponent, this squad will take a powerful, if cheap, shot at the first juicy target that approaches. Once that's done, it becomes a choice of staying in that hex to annoy my opponent, or retreating to keep my strength.

As for my opponent, I don't know their full compliment of units. I know they have Elite, 1st Line, and Conscript units, as well as several leaders and some support weapons.

Turn 1 - Chinese

This is post-setup from both sides. My opponent seems to have split their forces in two, with some emphasis on staying in concealment terrain in order to remain concealed. My opponent is a newer player, from what I understand, or at the very least rusty. Not an issue, per se, but I hope my comments don't come off too strong while I judge their moves as they are made.

Of note, I believe they should have had more units in hex N4 (the uppermost occupied hex on the left). If those woods were meant to be used as a base of fire, might as well get there on turn one without running through open ground.

Into Turn 1 for the Chinese (German Blue Center on Russian Brown Border), and moves have been made towards the aforementioned woods. Technically, some of those stacks (groups of units together in a hex) should probably have lost their Concealment [?] counters, but no big deal. My goal is to delay and frustrate here, I won't be looking to shoot too often at the start. That and I don't have much in terms of long-range firepower. All my Partisans are a maximum of 3 FP (Firepower), which is not good.

Turn 1 - Mongolians

No actions for me, save moving a few ? stacks around. My opponent chooses not to shoot, which admittedly I was confused by.

Turn 2 - Chinese

Oh yeah! This is exactly what my HIP unit was made for. I wait until the stack of two squads move together before the Partisans appear out of nowhere and blast em! The 6 I rolled is modified to a 4 instead, on the 6 Firepower column (Normally its 3, but if the target is adjacent, you double the FP!). The result is great for me.

Both squads break, I get to leave Residual Firepower (An effect that attacks any unit that moves into that hex), and now those two squads will have nowhere to rout away.

A third Chinese squad is thrown into the mix, moving into the P7 woods via P6, and my shot pins them. They won't be able to move for the rest of their turn, and their FP is halved!

In a change of pace, the Chinese player only moves right-side units for the rest of the turn. This is, again, strange to me, as some units have done next to nothing for two turns on a seven turn scenario. 30% of your time with no moves or attacks is not an effective way to take objectives. Pictured in the top right is my reveal of a real Partisan unit to claim LOS on the Conscripts that moves into E6 (The 3-3-6 C squad). On the positive side, using Conscripts to spot enemy units is a good idea. This should never be done in tandem unless you have a leader, because there's no benefit to moving as a group otherwise.

As the Chinese player's turn draws to a close, the 2 squads on the left were refused as prisoners and eliminated. Initially 1st Line Infantry, reduced to Conscripts when they ELR'd (Experience Level Rating, a means to determine how efficient or combat-worthy a squad is) to a lower rating. This occurs when you fail a Morale Check [MC] over a pre-determined value on the scenario card.

:siren: No Quarter now in effect! :siren:

No prisoners can be taken anymore. (This is due to my refusal to take prisoners, the two broken squads, as they could not legally rout to the woods to the south in the screenshot.

To Be Continued...

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 1, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Since this scenario features Madsen LMGs, how does this game represent different kinds of machine guns? Is a water cooled, rifle calibre, tripod mounted machine gun a MMG or HMG?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

Since this scenario features Madsen LMGs, how does this game represent different kinds of machine guns? Is a water cooled, rifle calibre, tripod mounted machine gun a MMG or HMG?

So the way things work is that there are 3 categories of Machine Guns:

LMGs

MMGs

HMGs

Typically, Light Machine Guns are man-portable machine guns that may or may not have a bipod, something like the MG-34 for the Germans, the Madsen machine guns seen in this scenario, the DP-28 used by the Russians, and so on. They also typically represent lighter calibres. The values of Squads in terms of FirePower is also representative of the inherent availability of such weapons to the soldiers.

Medium Machine Guns is the (obvious) middle ground between the two. Heavier barrels, heavier calibres, tripod mounts. The heavier setups used for MMGs mean that they also have dm counters (for Dismantled) which requires a player to re-assemble them during play.

Heavy Machine Guns are the big kahunas of ASL. Boasting the highest FP value and the longest range, they are also the heaviest Machine Guns to move.

The other defining trait between various Machine Guns is the fact that they increase their "Rate of Fire", a trait that, if the Coloured Die in an attack is equal or less than the RoF #, the Machine Gun may attack again, if possible.

These are the American Machine Guns available in the base game. We can see that the LMGs all sport 2 Firepower and between 6 and 8 hexes for their range. As well, the Rate of Fire is limited to 1. The LMGs are represented by the BAR, the Lewis Machine Gun, and, I think, the Johnson LMG. The MMG available is likely the .30 cal M1919 Browning Machine Gun. The heavy tripod adds an extra PP (Portage Point), doubles the Firepower, increases range to 10, and also now has a RoF of 2. The HMGs are the M1917 water-cooled Browning Machine Gun, and the .50 Cal M2 Browning Machine Gun. Both guns are heavy, the former due to the large and heavy water jacket (esp. when filled) and the latter from the weapon's heavy weight and the heavy tripod used. Both have high FP values, at 6 and 8, but only the M2 Browning has the dominating presence of 16(!) hexes for range. The RoF of 3 is almost monstrous.

To give an idea on odds, an LMG portrayed above has a 1 in 6 chance of getting Rate (of Fire) per attack. The MMGs is 1 in 3. The HMGs is 1 in 2. This should make it clear on how these weapons should be placed as well, as you will want to maximize their potential Rates of Fire while covering the largest amount of space, or the most likely avenue(s) of attack.

quote:

Game Pieces

A quick disclaimer - ASL uses a lot of acronyms. I will do my best to explain the acronym the first time I use it, but if I fail to do so or if you're confused, please ask!

SMCs (single-man counters)
(front)
(back)

Single-man counters are easy to remember, there's only a single man on here! These represent leaders and heroes (which I'll explain if we see them). These guys only have two numbers on them. The first is their morale value. If something bad happens, or if they need to figure out IF they can do something, they roll against that number. Lower than that is good, higher is bad. The second number is their modifier, in this case a -2. Any unit stacked with the leader gets to subtract 2 from most any roll their make. This would be read as a "nine neg two leader".
When the unit is flipped over, that means they're "broken". Their morale has failed and they're cowering. They can't do anything but hopefully rally during the rally phase. The only number here is their morale number, they can't modify anyone else's roll now. BUT, the box around the number means that they can SELF-rally during the rally phase. Normally, a unit would need a leader with them to get them back in the fight, but these guys muster their own courage.

MMCs (multi-man counters)
(front)
(back)

Any unit with three men on it is a FULL SQUAD. Any unit with two men on it is a HALF SQUAD (except for crews, I'll explain later). The letter in the upper right designates their quality. E = elite, 1 = 1st line, 2 = 2nd line, C = conscript. The numbers, from left to right are (using the blue counter as an example):
8: their firepower
3: their "smoke exponent", what they have to roll less than in order to successfully use a smoke grenade. No exponent, no smoke.
3: their range - they can fire at full firepower up to 3 hexes away, half firepower up to 6 hexes away.
8: their morale
On the back, again, is their broken side. As I mentioned before, these units need a leader to rally them, as designated by NO box around their morale number.

The three colors above are our three nationalities. Blue is German, brownish-orange is Russian, and green is Rumanian.

SWs (support weapons)
(front)
(back)
(front)
(back)

SWs are carried by MMCs (remember what that means??), and I'll get to the actual firing rules when I actually use them. The acronyms here are:
HMG, MMG, LMG - heavy, medium, light machine gun
FT - flamethrower
DC - demolition charge

The numbers are (I'll use the HMG as an example):
5PP - 5 "portage points". A MMC can carry 3PP normally, and each additional PP they carry lowers their movement by one. Guns are heavy.
[3] - The boxed three is the weapon's "rate of fire". If the colored die is a 3 or less, the weapon can keep firing, instead of the one-and-done that most firing is.
6 - firepower
12 - range (the beauty of machine guns)
And on the back (malfunctioned) side:
R3 - if the weapons is malfunctioned, it would need a 3 or less to repair
X6 - if you try to repair the weapon and roll a 6, it's eliminated. Crumbles into dust, as most Russian equipment does.

Radios, DCs and FTs have their own rules, but for now suffice it to say that the only difference is that the Radio has three different success numbers, depending on which year you're playing. Technology got better later in the war.

Guns
(front)
(back)

Manned guns (noted by the bigger 5/8" counters, not the 1/2" SWs) are somewhat different looking than what we've seen. And, they use a different system of firing. Whereas most firing just rolls for effect, guns (and AFVs) first roll to hit, then designate a type of ammo, then roll for effect. So, all that is rolled into the counter. I didn't get a screenshot, but they must be manned by "crew" counters, or suffer a penalty.

MTR = mortar, and AT = anti-tank gun. Here are the values:
M11/M10 - the "manhandle" value. These guns can be pushed around, but it's not easy. I usually never even do it unless I really need to.
[3] - as before, this is the ROF (rate of fire)
82* / 57LL - the mortar is a 82mm short barrel (* = short). The line above the number means it can fire ONLY HE (high explosive) ammo. The AT gun is a 57mm extra-long (LL) barrel.
[3-78] - most guns have a really, really long range, so it's not even listed on the counter (and I don't even know it off the top of my head, it's so long). The mortar can only fire between 3 and 78 (ha!) hexes away. So, basically it can't fire closer than 3 hexes.

The back is the same R/X values as we saw on the SWs.

AFVs (armored fighting vehicles)
(front)
(back)

Oh, AFVs. I've been playing for a long time and still haven't mastered AFVs. There are tanks, half-tracks, trucks, landing vehicles, weird little ski-vehicles... almost every type of vehicle has its own set of rules. Literally - each vehicle (each nationality has 25-50) has its own paragraph in the rules book.

Luckily, this scenario only uses two. The Russian T-26S M37, and the German Stürmgeschutz (StuG) IIIB. I'll just explain each one.

The T-26S M37:
The upper right number is the movement allowance. It is in an oval because the vehicle is fully-tracked. The number is red because Russian vehicles had notoriously bad transmissions - you have roll a die when you start the vehicle, and a 12 causes it to break down.
The thick box around the counter means the it has a "restricted slow traverse" turret. This means that the main gun can only fire if the tank is buttoned-up, and the turret turns very slowly.
The "3" and "[1]" on the right are the vehicles armor values. The top is used when the tank is hit from the front. The bottom is used when the tank is hit from the sides or back. The square means that the upper structure of the tank is stronger on the back and sides than the lower structure of the tank.
The "[1]" on the left is the rate of fire number
The "B11" means the main gun breaks down if I roll an 11 or higher.
The main gun is a 45mm long barrel.
The "-/4" means that the vehicle has no bow machine gun, but has a 4-firepower coaxial machine gun, which fires in the same direction that the turret is facing.

OKAY, on to the StuG IIIB:
14 movement allowance, fully tracked.
No box around the counter means that the vehicle is NOT turreted. It can only fire in the direction the vehicle is facing.
6 frontal armor, 3 rear/side armor. The white circle means that the tank is a small target, which is a defensive bonus.
1 rate of fire
75mm short barrelled gun
On the back of the counter (which VASSAL doesn't show), there are numbers to use for HEAT (high explosive anti-tank) ammo, smoke rounds, AP (armor-piercing) ammo, smoke dischargers, and crew survival. I'll address those as I come to them.

Snipers

Snipers are very abstract in this game. You don't move them around the board yourself. I'll get into the actual mechanics if and when they happen, but here's the gist:
Each player has a "SAN" (sniper activation number) defined on the scenario card. VASSAL lets me mark it on the counter itself, so you see above that the Russians have a SAN of 4.
If the Germans roll a 4 during a firing phase, the Russian sniper is activated. The Russian player rolls one die, and if it's a 1 or 2, the sniper hits something.
The Russian player rolls two dice, one is the direction (along the edge of the counter), and the other is the distance in hexes. The sniper gets moved, and shoots the closest target.
That's the TL;DR version.

Foxholes

Foxholes are given by the scenario card, and add a defensive bonus for the units in it. The "1S" means that only one squad can be in it at a time, in addition to single-man counters. The other numbers are defensive bonuses.

Roadblocks

A roadblock is basically a Wall terrain that the player can place anywhere. Vehicles can't pass it, but infantry can.

Terrain (at least what's on this map)

Open Ground

Nothing special about open ground. But, if a unit is walking through open ground, the other player gets pretty sick bonuses when firing on them.
Cost to move into for infantry: 1 MF (movement factor)

Shellholes

Shellholes are treated as open ground, unless an extra movement point is spent, in which case it hunkers down in the shellhole and gets a defensive bonus.
Cost: 1 / 2 MF

Woods

Woods provide a +1 defensive modifier, and cost 2 MF to move into. Also, blocks line-of-sight through.

Grain

Grain doesn't block line of sight, but each hex between the attacker and the defender that it passes through adds +1 to the roll, making it worse. It costs 1.5 MF to move through when in season (which it is).

Hedges/Walls
(hedge)
(wall)

Hedges and walls are complicated with regards to line of sight, which I'll address if it comes up. A wall has a +2 defensive bonus, a hedge has a +1. They cost 1 MF + whatever the cost of the hex their moving into it.

Marsh

A marsh doesn't block line of sight, but is a hindrance (just like grain). It costs all your MF to move into a marsh, and vehicles can't enter it, AND you can only fire light machine guns from it, not medium or heavy. I'll probably stay out of this.

Buildings
(wooden)
(stone)

Buildings that are in one hex have only a ground floor, 2-hex buildings have a ground and 1st floor, 3+ hex buildings have ground/1st/2nd floors.
Buildings provide a +2 bonus for wooden, +3 for stone, and cost 2 MF to move into.

The terrains have other little details here and there, which I'll address as they come up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Chinese inaction probably stems from a reluctance to take the casualties that lose them the game.

Anyway, a truly impressive undertaking! I applaud you and hope you don't drown in a tidal wave of cardboard.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

Chinese inaction probably stems from a reluctance to take the casualties that lose them the game.

Anyway, a truly impressive undertaking! I applaud you and hope you don't drown in a tidal wave of cardboard.

That is always possible, I had initially missed the loss condition for the Chinese, but ASL is also very much a game about speed. You never truly appreciate the time limits until you start losing because of it, and you will lose because of it!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

This is the some outlines of the setup for this map. Essentially, nothing in the grayed out portion matters. The Chinese start with 1 of the necessary victory hexes in their possession, are pretty close to one of the Railroad hex they need, and the third RR hex is easily within their grasp before Turn 5. Meanwhile, I can only start on the Teal line and north.

I assume that my opponent would take the Purple lines into my side, with the Yellow line as a potential. Having a concentration focused on the middle of the map means I can catch the Chinese in Open Ground or, at the very least, without any good ground before getting to the buildings. Additionally, since the Chinese player needs to control an entire building to get the LVP from controlling it, I need to maximize the delaying tactics at play here and/or ensure I have a unit lying about in any of the building hexes that make up the multi-hex structures.

Lastly, my reinforcements coming in on Turn 4. They come in either from the north or on the side with the thick black bar. This lets me have a valuable flanking force, but they are still Partisans, so I can't just throw them away. At worst, I have the cavalry come in on the other side of the river and have them all gallop across and straight into buildings.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also I'm putting this out there for Page 1 because it will likely be absolutely necessary.

When we get to campaign games, or very large "monster" games, I will be looking for friends and foes to help supplement our play live.

Case in point, see exhibit A

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Well, your enemy can learn to be more aggressive over the next 8000 scenarios. ;)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DTurtle posted:

Well, your enemy can learn to be more aggressive over the next 8000 scenarios. ;)

Yeah that's the idea, initially I wanted to start in the 1930s, but these earlier scenarios will allow us to fight off any rust we've accumulated and get in shape for the main event (WW2)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I applaud your dedication.

Could you explain the dice rolls a bit more?

quote:

The 6 I rolled is modified to a 4 instead, on the 6 Firepower column (Normally its 3, but if the target is adjacent, you double the FP!). The result is great for me.

This for example means nothing to me. Why is it modified? What is the firepower colomn? Where does 3 come from? What does any of this mean?? :psyduck:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Machine Gun rules.

Thanks for answering every question I'll ever have about this game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pharnakes posted:

I applaud your dedication.

Could you explain the dice rolls a bit more?

This for example means nothing to me. Why is it modified? What is the firepower colomn? Where does 3 come from? What does any of this mean?? :psyduck:

Already, so short hand there's a few modifiers to look for whenever an attack is made. This'll be more for Attacks Against Infantry By Infantry (AAIBI - Just made this up) rather than other possibilities.

Generally speaking, whenshooting at an opposing infantry unit, you determine your FirePower, then how many Modifiers apply to said shot.

These Modifiers can be grouped into MOVEMENT, TERRAIN, and OTHER

Movement posted:

Regular Movement

Regular movement that provides no benefits or hindrances to a units abilities. The upright posture offers a welcome target for enemy soldiers.

Assault Movement

Hard to represent. You only get to move 1 hex, however it it assumed that the Unit uses available cover, and cautious movement, in order to not offer as easy a target as Regular movement does.

Dash

Reserved specifically for movement across a road, Dash exposes the unit much like Regular movement, but due to the increase in speed, the resulting incoming fire is lessened.

For TERRAIN, it changes wildly. Terrain like Woods or Buildings offer a flat modifier, but a WALL will only protect the unit if the firer's LOS goes over the wall hexside. There are also Hindrances, something that would reduce a firer's ability to see its target, while not presenting a hard surface to protect against incoming shots. Think of a Farm and a Field of Wheat. It can be hard to spot someone walking through the field of wheat, just as it would seeing someone in an open window (esp. if they are taking cover), but Wheat doesn't stop bullets as well as wood, cement, and steel.

Lastly, there is OTHER. This can be due to Weather, such as Fog or Falling Snow, a unit's current condition, such as being Counter Exhausted (Tired and gasping for air) or stunned/shocked for a vehicle's crew.

In the instance above, the two Chinese squads moved in Open Ground without using Assault Movement. This allowed my Partisan unit to shoot at them for 3 FirePower (The counter is expressed as Firepower - Range - Morale ||| 3-3-7) with a -1 DRM (Dice Roll Modifier) for First Fire Non-Assault Movement (FFNAM) and another -1 DRM for First Fire Movement in Open Ground. Because they were in the Adjacent hex to my Partisan unit, their Firepower is doubled, to reflect the close range, and thus larger/easier target they represent. Thus it would be written as a 6FP -2 DRM shot, or 6 down 2 (6-2) shot for shorthand.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 1, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So can infantry only shoot units adjacent to them if they lack a support weapon?

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013

White Coke posted:

So can infantry only shoot units adjacent to them if they lack a support weapon?

no, they can have an individual range (3 on the 3-3-7 MMC), and can double that range at a cost in firepower.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

Nope, any infantry unit can shoot up to their designated range, and up to twice their range at half-firepower.

Looking at the above we have Assault Engineers, Elites, and Partisans.

The Assault Engineers start at 6 FP but 2 range. They can fire at 12 FP at an adjacent target, 6 FP at any target 2 hexes away, and 3 FP at targets 3 or 4 hexes away.

The Elites start at 4 FP and 5 range. They can fire at 8 FP at an adjacent target, 4 FP at any target up to 5 hexes away, and 2 FP at any target 6 to 10 hexes away.

The Partisans start at 3 FP and 3 range. They can fire at 6 FP at an adjacent target, 3 FP at any target up to 3 hexes away, and 1.5 FP at any target between 4 and 6 hexes away.

This also applies to LMG, MMG, and HMGs! So a 6-2-8 squad with a 8 FP HMG delivers a phenomenal 28 FP at an adjacent target! (The max displayed on any chart is 36).

And speaking of charts, there are actually two Infantry Fire Tables in the game, with a divisive split in the community between which one to use. The regular IFT has 11 columns: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 30, 36. This causes some problems, in a sense. Let's say we go back to the 6-2-8 with an 8 FP HMG. What happens if you shoot at a target at a range of 3 hexes? The 6-2-8 is halved for Long Range Fire, so it now only provides 3 FP, whereas the HMG is still at normal capacity because it is within its max range. You now have 11 FP, which is 1 short of a better column (12) and 3 higher than the HMGs own column.

Basically, it means that their is no reason to shoot with the 6-2-8, as you cannot get a better result with it than without. The IIFT (Incremental Infantry Fire Table) was created in an attempt to rectify this by having... 40 columns, as it includes some very common "X and a half" denominations. Very few numbers are actually different from the IFT chart, but they are different nonetheless, and makes it feel a little more valuable to have men shoot because they can actually make a difference.

Also, it won't come up in this scenario, but calibres is also represented in the charts (for reasons that will get explained at a later date), and the IIFT allows for some added leeway for calibres that weren't as common, but shouldn't be dragged down because of that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How does the game model Italians needing extra water for pasta? Or to be more serious, are there special rules to representing things like doctrine that can't just be expressed by different equipment, or numerical values like morale?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

How does the game model Italians needing extra water for pasta? Or to be more serious, are there special rules to representing things like doctrine that can't just be expressed by different equipment, or numerical values like morale?

There's a few things. For one, the Russians get the ability to start a "Human Wave", which is exactly what it sounds like. Similarly, the Japanese can Banzai charge. The Japanese are also the only ones who can get Tank Hunter Heros (which we'll get to some day). Some units, like Ghurkas, are just straight up better in Close Combat, and so on.

Essentially, there's a few parts of the rules, like Close Combat, that have modifiers that are specifically tied to nationalities, based on historical precedent and doctrinal/tactical mindsets at the time.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Why do some infantry tokens have a box around their quality designation? E.g. [E] infantry in your range example, or the two Russian [1] squads in your sample MMCs.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

For one, the Russians get the ability to start a "Human Wave", which is exactly what it sounds like.

Isn't squad level a bit too small to represent Human Wave attacks?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Why do some infantry tokens have a box around their quality designation? E.g. [E] infantry in your range example, or the two Russian [1] squads in your sample MMCs.

Because there are multiple types of Elite troops. The Americans have like 3 versions of Elite troops, meant to represent stuff like Airborne or battle hardened veterans, because one type of Elite unit may have had more automatic weapons in their TO&E or better long-range capabilities.

"The Rulebook posted:

1.25 CLASS: Every Squad/HS contains a letter or number in the upper right-hand corner which defines its Class, ranging in descending order from: E (Elite), 1 (1st Line), 2 (2nd Line), G (Green), to C (Conscript). Occasionally a circle or square encases the letter/number to differentiate between different types of the same Class (see A25.: National Capabilities Chart). These Classes are important in that they affect a unit's capabilities and also determine what units can be substituted for them during Deployment, ELR Replacement, or Battle Hardening.

Edit: This is also why the Russians have those 6-2-8s. Their doctrine of lots of PPSH's and grenades is VERY good at short range, but those pistol-calibre submachine guns suffer a lot of fall-off in terms of effectiveness the further out you go in range.

White Coke posted:

Isn't squad level a bit too small to represent Human Wave attacks?

Each squad represents something like 9 to 13 men (It varies depending on which nationality we're talking about). [Edit: Chinese also get Human Wave capability] A Human Wave requires 3 hexes with 2 MMC (so at least 1 squad in the case of 2 Half-Squad counters) per hex. 30 to 60 men is a pretty adequate Human Wave for how the game tries to portray them.

Its also not that great to use because it makes a lot of people vulnerable to shots, BUT it does allow you to overwhelm an opponent in the event that you have a large lead in terms of available Manpower.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What kind of objectives are there for scenarios? Are they all some variation of: attacker has to capture certain victory point spaces before the time limit?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

What kind of objectives are there for scenarios? Are they all some variation of: attacker has to capture certain victory point spaces before the time limit?

It can range from just killing dudes, to capturing specific locations, to crossing through a map and exiting a number of units off, destroying a specific thing. If its been an objective of/in a World War 2 movie or novel, it likely has a counterpart in ASL.

There are also cases of multiple objectives or hidden objectives, so the attacker/defender can choose whether they may try for kills or exits, etc.

There are also some less-than-serious scenarios that have interesting objectives as well.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Has anyone made a scenario of the time German soldiers helped Americans protect French prisoners from the Waffen SS?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Looks like yes: https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=62603

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

This is the one I have
https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=60606

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I'm working my way through the SKs and I've played few full ASL games with local ASL club members with a lot of help with the rules. Great system! I don't even know the full rules and I already own Beyond Valor, Factories, and Croix de Guerre with For King and Country on the way. I'm pretty confident I will stick with it.

ASL is a big investment in time but I think there's a big payoff because:

1) The community is large, invested, and organized.(But sort of aging out. We need new blood!)
2) The strategy is endless. There are tons of different ways to tackle various situations. In a lot of ways ASL is a competitive puzzle.
3) The game builds a strong narrative. This was sort of hard for me to get at first just looking at relatively non-descript 4-4-7 squad counters that look the same. But drat this game tells an interesting story of soldiers braving the perils of WWII combat. I really get the feel of guys desperately fighting house to house or panicking and breaking when beloved SGT Steiner takes a bullet to the head and nobody knows what to do.

Good luck with the AARs and don't be too hard on yourself if you have to abandon it these things can be hard to sustain!

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

What do the lines under the numbers mean?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

VKing posted:

What do the lines under the numbers mean?

Under Firepower, it is ASSAULT FIRE, an ability that allows the squad to add a +1 to their IFT shot in the Advancing Fire Phase, as well as rounding fractions UP. It's powerful, and is very useful if you are on the attack, or have to move/close in with your opponent.

Under Range, it is SPRAYING FIRE, an ability that allows the squad to split their fire between two hexes when attacking, at halved firepower per hex. (So a 6-2-8 could fire at two separate hexes at 3 FP each)

Under Morale, it means that the squad is immune to ELR, has an ELR rating of 5, and is always replaced by two half-squads instead of being replaced by a lesser squad when broken over that limit.

Additionally, any superscript number over the Firepower number is a Smoke Grenade availability number. It requires the squad to declare it as an action, costs MF (Movement Factors) to do, exposes the squad doing it, and requires a dr (single die, as opposed to DR - two die roll) to successfully place it. Its temporary as well, the smoke that is, but it can be very useful if placed properly.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm really interested in this, but I feel like I could use a breakdown on what the phases are, how deployment works, how rolls work, how firepower tables work, that sort of thing.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are there rules for body armor? I know the Soviets equipped some units with it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nea posted:

I'm really interested in this, but I feel like I could use a breakdown on what the phases are, how deployment works, how rolls work, how firepower tables work, that sort of thing.

I'll try to get a write up for this in the coming days hours if I can't find one from older threads.

White Coke posted:

Are there rules for body armor? I know the Soviets equipped some units with it.

I don't believe so. It might be factored into the 6-2-8's higher morale, but that seems unlikely.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 2, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ASL Phases - A General Overview

I wish to preface this by saying that what I mention here is but a small overview of the various actions one can take during each phase. Many actions rarely ever apply, if only because they are incredibly situational (IE: Amphibious Landings, Air Support, Night Paradrop, etc.) If you have access to the rules, you can see what I mean if you check your "Advanced Sequence of Play Aid"

In ASL there are 8 distinct phases.

Rally Phase

Essentially your recovery phase from whatever occurred during the previous turn. Starts with rolling for weather to determine if the wind changes or if it might start raining/snow/etc. This is the phase where a unit can attempt to repair a weapon, a leader can attempt to rally a broken unit, a squad can deploy (going from 1 squad to 2 half squads), etc. Importantly, each unit can only perform one action. Thus, a leader cannot rally a squad and repair a weapon, nor can that squad be rallied and then repair a weapon.

Prep Fire Phase

This is the first phase where anything can shoot. Specifically, this is for the ATTACKER only. SMOKE must be fired first in this phase; units fire at available target, but doing so means they will not be able to move in the next phase. Units can attempt certain labor tasks, like digging foxholes. It is possible to declare OPPORTUNITY FIRE, which allows a unit to retain its normal firepower for a future phase.

Movement Phase

Finally, time to stretch your legs and get moving! Only units who have not fired, are not marked as an Opportunity Fire, or otherwise occupied (still digging that foxhole, eh?). As units move, the DEFENDER can attack them. Attacks in this phase (unless otherwise stated) ONLY attack moving units. Any of the DEFENDER's units that shoot are marked by a First Fire counter, unless they retain Rate of Fire.

Defensive Fire Phase

The DEFENDER may fire any of their units that are capable of fire, and not yet marked with a First Fire counter at enemy units within their LOS. Any units that shoot are marked with a Final Fire counter.

Advancing Fire Phase

The ATTACKER's units that didn't shoot, or perform an involved task (Foxholes!) in the Prep Fire Phase can fire at half FP at available targets. [EXC: Opportunity Fire marked units fire at full FP]

Rout Phase

Broken units from both sides may attempt to find cover, with the ATTACKER routing first. Units need not rout unless ADJACENT to an unbroken, Known enemy unit [EXC: Passengers; D6.1], or if in Open Ground and in the LOS and Normal Range of a Known enemy unit.

Advance Phase

The ATTACKER may move any of his Infantry units capable of movement one (1) hex, even if that hex is currently occupied by an enemy unit, or change Location within a hex. It is not possible to change Location and change Hex.

Close Combat Phase

Units of both sides occupying the same Location resolve their CC attacks; any survivors that are not withdrawn are considered in Melee. The ATTACKER places ? counters on eligible unconcealed units.

quote:

Recovery
Attacker Shoots
Attacker Moves\Defender Shoots
Defender Shoots
Attacker Shoots
Routs
Attacker Moves
Close Combat
End Turn

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The ATTACKER may move any of his Infantry units capable of movement one (1) hex, even if that hex is currently occupied by an enemy unit, or change Location within a hex. It is not possible to change Location and change Hex.
What are locations within a hex?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DTurtle posted:

What are locations within a hex?

Say you have a building in a hex. If the building has multiple levels/floors, you can have a unit be on an upper floor and a unit in the ground floor, they are in the same hex, but not the same location.

The same applies to, say, a pillbox. A unit inside a pillbox is not in the same location as a unit in a hex, but outside the pillbox.

There are considerations to be made as well, as a Building can block Line of Sight to things behind it. A unit on the 3rd floor of a building can't shoot at units on the ground floor, because the intervening floors of the building itself block LOS. (There's an exception or two to this but not important to the example)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

quote:

Recovery
Attacker Shoots
Attacker Moves\Defender Shoots
Defender Shoots
Attacker Shoots
Routs
Attacker Moves
Close Combat
End Turn

When you say attacker and defnder like this, do you mean the two sides, or does it vary depending on what each counter is up to? If the former how does the game model meeting engagements? And when can the defender move? If the later how is it decided who is attacking and who defending?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pharnakes posted:

When you say attacker and defnder like this, do you mean the two sides, or does it vary depending on what each counter is up to? If the former how does the game model meeting engagements? And when can the defender move? If the later how is it decided who is attacking and who defending?

Knew I forgot something, so the idea is that there is a Game Turn and a Player's Turn within that GT. There is a Scenario Attacker, a Scenario Defender, and then there is the Player's Turn, where they are considered the ATTACKER.

As the manual puts it - "ATTACKER (the player whose Player Turn is currently being played)" compared to Attacker.

This is why there's some distinction that also needs to be made with a Location.

"Location (a hex as well as any of the following sub-divisions of that hex: sewer, upper or lower building or bridge level, pillbox, cave)"

Here's a scenario card I found on the web:

[I have never played this one so I don't know how fun it is]

Note that the card states who sets up first [The Scenario Defender] and who moves first [The Scenario Attacker]

On Game Turn 1, the Americans would move first, meaning that the series of phases they would play treats the Americans as the ATTACKER. Once the Americans end their turn, it then becomes the Germans turn within Game Turn 1 to be the ATTACKER. I personally don't really attribute ATTACKER after playing enough times, but thats how the game/manual treats it.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Oh cool, I'm glad to see you picking this up again. I still remember your previous one, and I look forwards to getting to see more ASL. If you really need more help with those... jesus, those monster campaign maps I can try to learn the game and help out.