Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How do people in this thread deal with the constructed nature of Christianity? So much of what Christians take for granted theologically is the result of centuries of discussion and argument from people who based their thoughts on their assumptions.
One thing that helps in Orthodoxy is that it's a tradition where the Ecumenical Councils and the people who took part in them are regularly discussed, commemorated, and celebrated. When I look at the development of Christian doctrines, it's not really so clear that they were constructed so much as they were clarified. For example, the divinity of Christ was well entrenched the time of the Council of Nicea; the question was how to properly describe that divinity. If anything, most of the Councils are about trying to find exactly the right Greek word for something.

But more broadly, I can look at St. Irenaeus, St. Basil, or St. John Damascene and recognize the same faith as St. Porphyrios, St. Silouan, or St. Maria of Paris. This is part of why I no longer take Elaine Pagels seriously (since she came up earlier); in her book on Revelation, she portrays St. Anthony of Egypt as some kind of crypto-Gnostic based on his letters, when if anything, nothing he says would be out of place in the entirely Orthodox Philokalia.

And the ascetic practices of the Orthodox Church, the beliefs about prayer, sin, and theosis, and the overall framework of salvation quite simply make sense to me as a framework for Christian belief. Plus I am reasonably convinced that the Virgin Mary has answered a few of my prayers. Nothing earth-shattering, but still meaningful to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

What is the latter based on? My knowledge on Jesus' life is just the highlights really (curing people, Lazarus, etc) but the whole idea of "render unto Caeser what is Caesers" doesn't seem to be based around an immediate apocalyptic vision per say.
There is definitely a heavy eschatological outlook throughout the New Testament, but especially in the Gospels. They're all written to show how Jesus fulfills the Jewish expectation of the Messiah, who will usher in the end of this age. Jesus' Incarnation, earthly ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection are the turning point. Jesus himself is continually preaching about the Kingdom of God. The first things he says after coming back from his baptism and temptation in the desert are "Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand" and telling a synagogue that he's fulfilled a prophecy of Isaiah. Most of his prophecies are about God's judgment as he brings about the Kingdom. And even that teaching, "render unto Caesar," makes sense in an apocalyptic point of view: he's always saying in the Gospels to let go of attachments to wealth, family, comfort, or safety, and taxes are part of that. Those coins belong to Caesar; just let them go.

And even if the end didn't come within the Apostles' lifetime, this is still important for Christians, especially Catholics and Orthodox. Every Mass or Divine Liturgy is considered to be a visit to the Kingdom of God. In the Divine Liturgy, we even have a few temporal paradoxes--commemorating the Second Coming as if it's already happened. We're still called to live as if our kingdom is not of this world; I think that's part of the purpose behind our asceticism. Whether it's preparing for death or the second coming, we're going to a place where food, sex, anger, and money simply aren't going to matter anymore, so fast, be chaste, give freely, and forgive.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

How much of this was contemporaneous with Christ himself? I don't remember where I read it but some people argued that his life was more moulded to fit the Messiah ideal post death, rather than something done by Christ himself during his lifetime.
*Shrug* I dunno. I've long since given up on any consideration about the "historical Jesus." The one in the Gospels and proclaimed by the Church is the one we've got, and all of them have them declaring it in some way, as well as depicting him as aware of his coming death and resurrection. And one of the clauses in the Nicene Creed does say "I believe in one holy catholic and Apostolic Church," so in some ways it kinda comes down to whether you trust them as well.

In one sense you're right, because one thing the Gospels do agree on is how enigmatic he was before his death. Even the Apostles who told him "You are the Messiah" didn't understand what was really going on until his resurrection. Of course, the difference is that "post death" doesn't mean much if he did rise from the dead, in which case Christ himself would be the one putting his life into perspective. The other thing is that in a lot of ways Jesus doesn't fulfill the role of Messiah as expected by Jews at that time. They expected a fully human David-like leader who would take charge of Israel, drive out the Romans, and establish a new kingdom in Israel. The Virgin Birth, death and resurrection, and divine Sonship don't enter into it at all, even in modern Judaism. For the Apostles and the Church, Jesus completely reinvented the concept of the Messiah, and of God himself, and so the Apostles and the Church reinterpreted the Hebrew Scriptures in light of Jesus, and wrote the New Testament in light of that new understanding.

Josef bugman posted:

And how do Christians square this point of view with the lack of apocalypse?
In two ways: first, that even if the Apostles believed the world would end within their lifetimes, Jesus himself would have known it would take a while. Then there's the even more eschatological take: that the resurrection is the beginning of the Kingdom of God; death has been trampled down, God has united with Man, the end times have begun, and even if they kill us, the Roman Empire won't have the last word.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Nessus posted:

You probably could sell a lot of copies of a book with something like "God: the Ultimate Police Commissioner" though. You might have to get a ghost-writer to include bible citations...
Reminds me of when the last season of 30 Rock had Jack starting a crime drama called "God Cop," starring himself as God, as part of his plan to tank NBC.

But as far as trial metaphors go, it's worth remembering that forgiveness and permission are not the same thing. Forgiveness means you acknowledge what happened, but are willing to let it go. It does not mean you approve of it. This is something that infests every argument about the death penalty. "I don't think x deserves to die." "But he killed 6 people." "I know, but killing him would be wrong." "But he killed 6 people." "I'm not saying that wasn't wrong, just that this is also wrong." "But--"

I would also say that there's also a big difference between self-punishment and humility, the latter of which is a virtue.

It's also worth remembering that one of the literal meanings of the word "Satan" is "Accuser." Satan is basically a corrupt, hyperzealous prosecutor.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

zonohedron posted:

To be fair, I think "dedicating [one's] life to being poor and annoying" is a pretty good description of a lot of religious orders!
It's pretty much the job description for every Fool For Christ.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

edit: the historical background of the Hutterites and others on the northern Plains is they're largely Germans from Russia. Catherine the Great (German herself) invited German settlers to farm the Volga region with guarantees they wouldn't be conscripted into the army and would have freedom of religion. Quite a few Anabaptist groups took that offer, they were often not welcome in much of Europe because they refused to serve in the military or pay taxes that would fund the military. The exemption from conscription and freedom of religion didn't last and most of them emigrated starting in the 1860s. Many settled in the northern Plains because they were experienced in dryland agriculture and familiar with steppe climates. German Russians have a reputation for being more conservative/traditional than other German immigrant groups.
There's even an Orthodox saint who was a German-Russian on his father's side: St. Alexander Schmorell, who was martyred by the Nazis for being a member of the White Rose.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

One thing that tweaks the standard interpretation of the Fall is theosis. If the goal of the Christian life is to be deified by grace, then of course there's nothing necessarily wrong with Adam's desire to become Godlike. That's what Jesus tells us to do! The issue is wanting some other source for divinity besides God.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Fair warning: Bruenig auto-deletes all her tweets, so here are some screenshots so this discussion still makes sense in the future:

I already replied in the comments yesterday, but my thoughts are basically thus:

1) Forgiveness isn't necessarily earned; you can be proactive in forgiving people. Jesus didn't wait for anyone to repent before he forgave his executioners. You can also pray for their repentance. Repentance is still essential, but more in the sense that without repentance, they can't benefit from forgiveness. God can forgive me--and I believe he always preemptively forgives everyone--but if I don't turn my life around, it'll be like if he never forgave me at all.

2) Forgiveness does not necessarily mean you have to trust the person, or continue to give them your time. It's perfectly fine to cut yourself off from toxic people, or bad influences. My mind often turns to this comment from Fr. Stephen Freeman's blog (specifically, from this post).

3) The holiest saints lived as if everyone else deserved to go to heaven except themselves, and prayed for others based on that. There's a story about St. Silouan, who, hearing a hermit gloat about the idea of atheists burning in hell, asked the hermit how he'd feel if he could see that from heaven. When the hermit said he'd feel fine, Silouan said, "Love cannot bear that; we must pray for all."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I believe the one on the right is supposed to be Gabriel. I found a more modern one on Google with Gabriel wearing the exact same outfit. He's supposed to be holding a disk, and his name would be over his shoulder, but that's been eroded away.

As for what it's for, I think it's specifically for their shared feast day: the Synaxis of the Holy Archangels.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Bourricot posted:

I self-identify as a Reformed Protestant, but more due to heritage/cultural inertia than theological grounds (to be honest, I often struggle with some parts of Reformed theology).
I'd appreciate this thread insight on something that's been bugging me: I've been reading James 2 recently, and how do you explain sola fide next to James 2:17 "Faith that doesn't lead us to do good deeds is all alone and dead!" (and the next verses continue in the same spirit).
I keep thinking about it and I can't find a satisfying answer. So I welcome any and all viewpoints on the subject.
One thing to consider is that both Paul (we are saved by faith!) and James (faith without works is dead!) support their statements with the same verse about Abraham, "He believed, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness." Paul gives credit to the faith that informed and motivated Abraham's actions. James clarifies it by pointing out that he still acted on that faith.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Also, the Orthodox likes boat metaphors as well--the Church is the new Noah's Ark, Christ is the captain, who helps the Saints with steering, and the canons are the Rudder.

Slimy Hog posted:

My understanding of the Orthodox view is similar to this: we are constantly working out our salvation in cooperation with the holy spirit.
You would be correct.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

first read this as "cannons" and was trying to figure out what Orthoboat is shooting at, maybe demons or something??
There's an "Ark of Salvation" icon that depicts the ark being shot or stabbed at by various persecutors of the Church, though it doesn't show anybody shooting back. Older versions have Satan and the Whore of Babylon. More recent versions I've run across on Google include the Pope, Luther, Lenin, and of course, ecumenists. *ptui ptui*

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Theologically, there's no difference. The style of worship varies a bit between Greek and Slavic, but it's still the same basic liturgy. The main difference is just which bishops that parish is connected with. The Greek Archdiocese is under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Antioch is under Antioch. ROCOR is under Moscow. OCA is autocephalous (self-governing), though originally under Moscow. At present, Moscow is out of communion with Constantinople, and I think that carries over to ROCOR, but I'm pretty sure it's just them. It shouldn't matter too much which jurisdiction you go with. In the end, I figure the community at that parish, including the priest, should be the deciding factor.

Beyond that, ROCOR tends to be the most rigorous. IIRC, you have to go to confession *every* time you expect to take Communion. In the OCA it's required only once a month, and in the Greek Church it's between you and your priest. Greek churches are probably going to be the most likely to use the original language, though every one I've been to has been convert-heavy and uses plenty of English.

In an ideal world, there would just be one American Orthodox Church, because under the canons bishops aren't supposed to have overlapping territories, but this is what we have.

quote:

Greek churches are more likely to have heretical "modern" "innovations" like pews and instrumental music.
Also this. Trust me, the hymns sound much better without instruments.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 5, 2021

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I can’t believe I don’t know/remember this: do the Orthodox have a concept of “worthiness” for the Eucharist? To put it another way, do the Orthodox recognize certain sins that makes one ineligible to take Eucharist until they confess them?
Regarding worthiness: Informally, yes. For a long time a lot of Orthodox have practiced infrequent Communion, out of fear of profaning the sacrament. Officially, no. You're never "worthy" to partake of the Sacraments. The main private pre-communion prayer even has us praying for ourselves as the chief of sinners, so if anything, recognizing our unworthiness is exactly what makes us worthy. Fr. Alexander Schmemann especially fought against the idea of "worthiness" when he was alive.

I've seen advice that it's generally a bad idea to excommunicate yourself from the Eucharist. That said, while I'm not 100% positive what they are, certain grave sins do seem to require confession before receiving Communion. I have one book on Confession that quotes a Father as pointing to Murder, Adultery, and Idolatry as the big three. He connects them to the ruling of the Council of Jerusalem in Acts, where Christians are forbidden from food consecrated to idols (idolatry), adultery/fornication, and blood (murder). These tend to get the strictest penalties in the canons as well (though again, one should not be their own canon lawyer). Some people also abstain when they have an ongoing conflict with somebody. Also, breaking the Eucharistic fast without good reason.

That's as much as I'm aware of.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

1: Who created humanity?
a) The one God of the Israelites.
b) Prometheus.
c) Some demiurgic idiot.
d) Aliens.

2: How many gods are there?
a) One
b) Three
c) A whole bunch
d) both a and b
e) both a and c
f) all of the above

3: Who was Jesus?
a) liar
b) madman
c) The organizer of Woodstock
d) Donald Trump's protege
e) The Son of God

4) Was Jesus divine or human?
a) Human
b) Divine
c) Yes

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

St. Nikolai Velimirovich takes a similar approach to enemies in his prayer.

quote:

Enemies have driven me into your embrace more than friends have.

Friends have bound me to earth, enemies have loosed me from earth and have demolished all my aspirations in the world.

Enemies have made me a stranger in worldly realms and an extraneous inhabitant of the world. Just as a hunted animal finds safer shelter than an unhunted animal does, so have I, persecuted by enemies, found the safest sanctuary, having ensconced myself beneath your tabernacle, where neither friends nor enemies can slay my soul.
And it keeps going from there.

There's also the novel Laurus, which includes a sequence in which the main character, a Russian Orthodox fool-for-Christ, goes on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem with an Italian who can see the future. Along the way, they join up with a Franciscan monk who expresses gratitude for the donkey his fellow monks gave him to ride. It's so ornery and stubborn that he figures it can only be for his spiritual benefit to put up with it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pershing posted:

My read of it is Paul not out and out saying that speaking in tounges is bad/sinful/etc. but he sounds deeply uncomfortable with the practice. He definitely holds prophecy to be the better utterance from the Spirit.
Further than that, his discussion of the Corinthian charismatics leads directly to his discourse on faith, hope, and love in 1 Cor. 13, calling it a "still more excellent way." It's something that comes up in a lot of Orthodox and Patristic spiritual literature, that if we're more focused on spiritual gifts and special powers, then we're more susceptible to prelest (spiritual delusion), which will harm our relationship with God.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Nessus posted:

This seems to be trying to manipulate God, but I am having a hard time narrowing down exactly why. I can see why having some kind of objective or semi-objective feat that you can connect back to your faith giving you strength would be validating, both for you and as a missionary tool, but putting a snake in the mix seems like a bad call.
I'm not sure about manipulation, but it is basically trying to dare God into something. It's like, yeah, Jesus says you'll be able to handle snakes, though he also, when tempted by the devil to jump off a ledge so the angels will catch him, told him that you shouldn't put the Lord to the test.

I could imagine St. Seraphim of Sarov picking up a venomous snake and handling it and even chatting with it like an old friend. The man befriended a bear, so why not? But I myself am not as holy as St. Seraphim of Sarov. And he almost certainly would not have done it just to prove how holy he is.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

zonohedron posted:

Beyond the obvious issues with putting the Lord your God to the test, your predecessor (who literally did pre-decease you!) obviously trusted the Lord's promises, because he handled snakes (right up until his faith failed him or whatever), right? Are you not man Bible-believing enough to do the same???

Which is probably prelest, but I can totally imagine some guy's parishioners congregation not fully trusting him if he didn't, too, and if you know that this is what people with true faith do, you're going to be aware that you're failing at this basic obligation, right?

For some reason, I'm now imagining a snake-handling version of Biff Tannen saying, "What's the matter, McFly? Chicken?!"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Ya got me. Like, the Church does exalt chastity and celibacy, but the only references to semen I'm familiar with are a few canon laws on wet dreams, and those sections of St. John Cassian's Institutes and Conferences where the monks talk about wet dreams. IIRC, the canon is basically "Not the biggest deal in the world," and I'm not sure what the monks had to say, because the most easily accessible public-domain translation left those parts out, I guess so as not to scandalize late 19th-early 20th-c. sensibilities. But it might be safe to assume that their take was also "Not the biggest deal in the world." I think St. Athanasius even compared it to a sneeze.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I guess the main question I have is: what are these instances of "We" like in Arabic?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Aληθώς ανέστη!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Archbishop Damaskinos of Athens was regent of Greece for a couple years. He's the one who had previously basically dared the Nazis to execute him. Also, Bishop Makarios served three terms as the first president of Cyprus.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The second one.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

In Orthodoxy, the fires of hell is generally understood as the same fire of God's love that illuminates and deifies the saints. It's a fire that burns away sin, so if sin is all one has, if one is still attached to their passions even after death, then the fire is going to torment rather than glorify. St. Isaac the Syrian describes it as everlasting remorse, like being with someone you know you've wronged.

Fortunately, hell--that is, gehenna--technically doesn't exist yet, but is a state that will only come about with the Last Judgment. Until then, sinners go to Hades, where the torment is more the anticipation of future punishment than of one being carried out right now. And since the Last Judgment hasn't happened yet, the eternal destiny of these souls hasn't been settled yet. So it's entirely possible and even promoted in the Church to pray for the dead, do good deeds on their behalf, and commemorate them at the Liturgy, even those who might be in hell (as we do on Pentecost during Kneeling Vespers). And according to Tradition, it really does help. St. Macarius once spoke to a skull who described his torment as being in total darkness and isolation, and when people pray for the dead, they can begin to see each other. St. Gregory the Great is said to have prayed the emperor Trajan out of hell. And St. Xenia became a fool-for-Christ for the sake of her deceased husband. St. Mark of Ephesus taught that it will definitely be temporary for some people; that they'll be purified by their time in Hades, or by the prayers of the living, or even by the experience of death.

There's also the question of whether the future punishment will be everlasting or temporary. A lot of it depends on how you understand the use of "eternal punishment" in Matthew 25. Origen understood it to refer to the source of the fire (that is, God), but not the duration (there's a separate Greek word that definitely refers to duration, but it's not the one used). After the 5th Ecumenical Council, the standard teaching of the Church is that it is the duration. I personally take a paradoxical view: both universalism and (for lack of a better term) infernalism are true. The punishment will be temporary and corrective, like an emergency surgery. But since our relationship with time will presumably be different, the past won't necessarily be past anymore; it'll still be part of the one punished. Like how one tends to keep the scars after a surgery, or how the effects of an amputation never really go away. And until then, I can still pray that they'll be saved.

As for experiencing hell in this life, that happened to St. Silouan the Athonite, as he was preparing to join the monastery. His ultimate lesson was "Keep your mind in hell, and don't despair."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder why chastity became a virtue. It's unknown to many civilizations and while I'm no great lover of sex, I cannot fathom why an all-powerful God cares where you stick your penis. So there must be something in the culture around the Abrahamic faiths that led to this odd belief.
God cares how you handle your money, treat your employees, wield your weapons, and manage your speech. Am I really supposed to believe he's completely indifferent to the parts He made for us to make new people?

Plus I'm pretty sure chastity is a thing in Vedic cultures as well. "Right action" is part of the Noble Eightfold Path in Buddhism, and that includes proper sexual conduct, which is basically the same as it is for Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 1, 2021

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Also, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" is a direct quote from one of the Psalms. It's not simply an outpouring of grief, it's a prayer from his liturgical tradition.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I never noticed it until I was Episcopalian. I think in Catholicism and Orthodoxy, it's traditionally supposed to be a priest who says that part, though I've seen it in some prayer books for laypeople. In Orthodoxy it's modified to "For Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory, of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages."

docbeard posted:

There are a whole bunch of minor variants that are really funny when you get a bunch of Christians who were raised in different places/from different denominations together and go SURELY WE ALL HAVE THIS IN COMMON.
This is one of the more frustrating things about Orthodoxy in America. So many different translations. A few years ago I went to a pan-Orthodox conference where at one point, we stumbled over the Nicene Creed.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

In Orthodoxy, there's even a term for thinking you're closer to God than you actually are: "prelest." Turns up all the time in the Philokalia. If you hear a voice or see a vision, it's perfectly reasonable to ask "Are you sure you're God?"

That said, I've gotten good results from asking the Virgin Mary for help.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

But still, original sin does take different forms depending on which tradition you're dealing with. A lot of these negative views of children seem bound up in Total Depravity, which is why people brought up Calvinism. With Catholicism, Original Sin is washed away with baptism, which of course is not long after one is born. Orthodoxy also practices infant baptism, but views original sin as more ontological, with no implied guilt. Neither one as far as I know holds a child fully responsible for sin until later in childhood. Plus the Romantic poets come from an Anglican milieu, which traditionally avoided the extremes of Reformed theology, whereas the entire purpose of the Puritans was to oppose the more Catholic aspects of Anglicanism. Are there any passages about childhood among non-Protestants?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Fair_Winds posted:

I have a statement that is a precursor to a question, Please bare with me. I recently have entered into a new stage of life and one of the problems facing me whilst all my friends are out self-actualizing, is the topic of religion. I grew up in a household that was never more than casually religious, my father was a die hard atheist and my mother belongs to a heavily baptist family. I don't belong to either, my father insisted I not have religion forced upon me and even bought me a bible when i was younger as a gift and explained that if I wished to read it and follow it I was allowed to. The question of religion was just left to me. Now that I am a fully grown adult, it feels like a church or at least religion should be a part of my life. Spirituality is a big part of many people's lives. How does one figure out what part of Christianity they should follow? What questions do I need to ask myself to figure this out? Is there some sort of specialist out there that does nothing but plugs people into the right church or belief? Any help is appreciated.
This is hard for me to answer, because for me it was never really a matter of picking from several options. There's the church I was raised with and lapsed and burned out on (Catholic) then the church I started going to because it resembled the old one closely enough (Episcopal) and then the church I joined because its theology and praxis appealed so strongly to me (Orthodox).

If you were to really boil it down, my main question was which one made/makes the most sense of the Gospel.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I quit porn over five years ago, right before I became Orthodox. Partly I got sick of having this aspect of my life that felt out of my control; sick of the assumptions and ideology baked into it, and never being quite sure how ethical any of it was, or could ever be; and the feeling that it was holding me back in various respects.

One thing that helped me was keeping the right mindset: focusing on what I had to gain from quitting. This is also what helped me get my mind around fasting. It's not necessarily a limitation, it's an opportunity.

The other thing was treating it as a distraction, and using prayer to redirect my attention when I'm tempted. In particular, this prayer, from the Ancient Faith Prayer Book:

"O Lord Jesus Christ, Sovereign Master, help me and do not let me sin against you. Incline not my heart to words and thoughts of evil, but deliver me from all temptation."

Followed by three Jesus Prayers ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son if God, have mercy on me, a sinner")

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

My priest has talked about how some teenage girls in our congregation get made fun of by their friends for dressing more modestly, even if only on Sundays.

One thing that's become clear to me about modesty is, it's not necessarily about protecting the opposite sex from temptation. Men wouldn't have come up with nun fetishes if that were the case. Rather, modesty is about not showing off. Of course we're not supposed to make ourselves an object to be lusted after, but someone covered from head to toe in garish, attention-grabbing clothes is in a way just as immodest as someone who shows up to church in a Vampirella costume.

Captain von Trapp posted:

In our culture, thinking porn is bad is weird at best.
A few weeks ago, in the brief span when OnlyFans banned explicit content, I saw some people in the mentions of a certain former Jeopardy contestant saying that if you don't support OnlyFans you support eugenics. Sex makes people weird.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

So one thing I had in mind in my post earlier was a thread on an Orthodox forum where one guy was accusing Orthodox women of being immodest because, even if they make an effort to be modest, they'll still wear high sleeves and low collars and such, and become a temptation to him. He was comparing them unfavorably to Muslim and Mennonite women.

The entire rest of the thread is the women on the forum shooting him down, explaining that they don't dress the way they do for people like him, making similar points to what everyone else here is saying (hence also my comment about fetishizing nuns--again, sex makes people weird). I wish I could find it--it may have gotten deleted.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I've always wanted to rewrite a Chick Tract into weird Orthobro nonsense, but I've never been quite bored enough to do it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

???????

An evangelical dude tried to contact and convert north sentinel island which is completely forbidden by the Indian government because its islanders will try to kill any non-islanders they see and was killed because he was a non-islander they saw like two years ago. they give great thought and effort to it as seen by the chick tracts on urinals we were just discussing.
I think Tias is speaking more in a European, especially Nordic, context. I'm guessing Modern Christians in Europe aren't quite as proselytastic as American ones.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I think where people are stuck is that there's someone off to the side holding little rods that the crowns are hanging from, so it looks like they're floating.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

It's a pre-Christian (as in, pre-the existence of Christianity) custom popular in the Greek world. Originally it was mostly just for royalty like the Byzantine emperors, but over time, as the Church gained more authority over marriage customs, crowning spread to all Orthodox faithful, with the meanings described above.

At first, most weddings were civil/social ceremonies, even well after Constantine, but Christians could still get a blessing from a priest if they wanted, usually during the Liturgy. Eventually weddings became their own ceremony, which is how things stand today. Here's Fr. John Meyendorff on how marriage developed in Eastern Christianity.

Also, IIRC, there are no vows.

Also also, Byzantine emperors tended to choose their wives sort of like The Bachelor.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 2, 2021

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

My assumption is that even if you're in a different state and passing from glory to glory, your personality is still in continuity with who you were when alive. If nothing else, I've never gotten the idea that St Basil or St Nicholas or the Mother of God are all that different in heaven from how they were on Earth. If anything, they may even be more like themselves.

EDIT: "passing," not "losing." I hate phone posting.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Notahippie posted:

It really seems like a pre-Christian story that was Christianized or otherwise a call back to pre-Christian beliefs because of that angle. But I think the Christian version leans into the idea that Satan or evil spirits were working against the church, and it was Oran's self-sacrifice for his faith that vanquished them. So less a question of a demand by God and more a martyrdom to conquer evil. Having said that, I don't think that Oran's story is seen as a mainstream or accepted story in the Irish church, I think it's more a local legend or side story attached to the story of St. Columba. My comment above was more a reflection on the idea that there is something of potential spiritual value in the story after all, when I had always seen it just as a ghost story with a church attached to it.
I'd heard a version of St. Oran's story, including his burial, from Fr. Seraphim Aldea, who's been working to re-establish an Orthodox monastery in the Hebrides. He did not include any part about reemerging to talk about the afterlife. It certainly goes way beyond anything Origen was ever condemned for.

There's actually a similar story about John the Apostle/Evangelist/Theologian/Revelator:

OrthodoxWiki posted:

"Account of the miracle that occurred at his grave: When over 100 years old, St. John took seven disciples outside of Ephesus and had them dig a grave in the shape of a cross. St. John then went into the grave, and the disciples buried him there, alive. Later on, when his grave was opened, St. John's body was not there. 'On May 8 of each year, dust rises up from his grave, by which the sick are healed of various diseases.'"
I'll admit, I'm not sure what to think of this, either.