Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

[Listen to this lovely title screen music]

Hi!

CrossCode is, well, it's a lot.

Siliconera interview with game director Felix Klein posted:

Interviewer: Can we get an elevator pitch for CrossCode, for the kids?

Felix Klein: No, please watch a trailer. That's what the kids would do.

Lea?

To begin with, let's say it's a retro-aesthetic action-adventure/environment-puzzler/dungeon-diver styled after Zelda, mashed up with a retro-JRPG styled after Mana et al, set inside an MMORPG styled after Everquest et al, which brings together a great story, a lively setting and cast, dynamic real-time combat, plenty of RPG systems, a frankly astonishing number of bouncing projectile puzzles, enormous sprawling fully platform-able environments, and a truly top-tier reference game.

Lea?!

Right? Like I said, it's a lot.

Really, the thing I need you to understand is that developer Radical Fish went all out designing this thing. I've never seen a game go this hard, in so many respects, for so long. Honestly, CrossCode is kind of exhausting to play through. In a good way! But still. There's just so much, and it's all so much. Everything from the music to the combat to the nitty-gritty of the level design is intense. It's full power, zero chill, all the time, forever. And the puzzles! They're, like, good? There are some honest-to-god epiphany simulators tucked away in here, and yet everything flows and feels organic, the exuberance of the offerings belie an elegance and caution to their construction. It's wholly quite remarkable.

CrossCode is one of my all time favourite games. This is absolutely going to be one of those LPs where I'm constantly trying to get you to buy the game. I enthusiastically recommend it to anyone (not least because it's on everything), BUT I caveat that recommendation thusly; your mileage is going to hinge 200% on your tolerance for top-down platforming. CrossCode has lovely modern sensibilities, and can tone down both its combat and puzzle timers all the way to zero if you want, but if the jumping is too much for you, then, well.

CrossCode is, through and through, a labour of love. Radical Fish loving live for this poo poo. You'd have to, not only even to have come up with a project like this, but to have seen it from a 2012 inception to a 2015 IndieGoGo and then through years of episodic Early Access to a 2018 release (and 2020 console port, and 2021 epilogue DLC), and all for a game written entirely in HTML5 and JavaScript and cross-coded ported into C++ to run on consoles. God drat. But I digress. It's just one of those games where even though it has flaws and I will tell you about them, at the same time I just can't help but love it, because it's really obvious that the people who made it love it too.

Lea...?

No, CrossCode is not actually an MMO. It's a fully single player game, that just happens to use the fictional MMO CrossWorlds as its setting. CrossWorlds exists entirely (diegetically) inside of CrossCode, and provides its own second-order layer of plot, setting, and NPCs, in addition to other players and staff who are the first-order layer, playing alongside us in this game within a game which also is the game, no, wait, I mean--

--Look, what I mean that CrossCode spends a lot of time being what you'll call "in conversation with itself" if you're an art critic and "meta" if you're not, but it does so pretty gracefully for the most part. It wants you to laugh with it, not at it. It trusts you, and respects your investment, and knows the difference between poking fun at itself and pretending self-awareness is a substitute for quality. Its beats land, its jokes work, and it doesn't ever pretend to be something it's not. CrossCode makes a promise; to at all times either be completely true to itself, or on four levels of irony. Or both.

[nods]

This will be a video LP! Main story beats, significant overworld forays, dungeons, and the active part of sidequests will get the full video treatment from me and some Artix guy who for whatever reason I've come to associate with Zelda, Zelda-likes, weird JRPGs and questionable platformers (He'll be coming in mostly blind). Editing will be employed with relish to speed through or skip over repetitive or otherwise boring content, and grinding and collection where applicable will happen off-camera.

(CrossCode is, I still contend, always extremely fun to actually play yourself, but only mostly fun to watch someone else play.)

Videos on Mondays and Thursdays, sometime in the GMT-evening.

There've been some teething issues with capturing this game! The first, uh, eight(?) episodes might be very minorly miscropped and try as I might these never seem to want to capture at the perfect 60fps they show in on my monitor.

Lea!!

:ducksiren:No Spoilers!:ducksiren: Don't do it! Don't post 'em! Keep a complete lid on anything to do with the plot. If for some reason you want to talk about a mechanic we haven't seen yet, use tags for that I guess, but do not post plot stuff at all.

Lea?

Convinced you, have I? Like I said, you can buy CrossCode on basically every platform:You can also play the demo literally in your browser (preferably Chrome/Firefox) right now because freaking HTML5, like come on, what kind of madm--

Lea.

Mmm.

Each update in this LP is in a post alongside a selection of music and lore, the latter of which you won't be seeing much of in the videos. But, I also put the videos in a playlist, if you're sure you don't care about any of that stuff.

[nods Table of Contents question]

(Prologue + Cargo Hold)_________________________"Okay, where to start? How about... Welcome to CrossWorlds!"
(M.S. Solar + Newcomer's Bridge)________________"...Did ye just call me a 'mortal', ye nutcase?"

(Rhombus Dungeon + CrossCentral)_____________"It is a very involved process, actually."

(Rookie Harbor intro)____________________________"I suggest you go in right away and just get it over with."
(Autumn's Rise exploration 1)____________________"As if that one level would have made a big difference."
(Autumn's Rise exploration 2)____________________"Let me guess. You wonder how to reach this chest, don't you?"
(Rookie Harbor quests 1)________________________"So how about it, did that weirdness pique your interest?"
(Rookie Harbor quests 2 + Apollo)_______________"What. What is the deal with your stats."

(Bergen Trail exploration 1)______________________"Ye swatch loch th' cheerful lassie nonetheless."
(Bergen Trail exploration 2)______________________"Wow, that looked so taxing. But you pulled through."
(Bergen Village intro + First Scholars)____________"Oui, oui! The plot!"
(Bergen Village quests 1)________________________"[nods at hat]"
(Temple Mine 1)_________________________________"Ah... I just need a short breather, this dungeon is pretty long, non?"
(Temple Mine 2)_________________________________"WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS TO ME?! Sacrebleu! This dungeon is the worst."
(Bergen Village quests 2)________________________"I couldn't find the thing. Instead all I found were boxes and more boxes."
(Bergen Village quests 3)________________________ "There are explosives, you will love it!"
(Bergen Village quests 4 + The Quiz)_____________"I hope you read all those text tables next to the statue in the temple mine."

(Maroon Valley exploration 1)____________________"Hello, Human! You look puzzled!"
(Maroon Valley exploration 2)____________________"Okay THAT better be worth it!"
(Maroon Valley exploration 3)____________________"But it was so much fun, non?"
(Ba'kii Kum intro)________________________________"That is... why we play the game, Lea."
(Ba'kii Kum quests 1)____________________________"Our thanks are boundless. Rewards not boundless but still big."
(Maroon Tree + Apollo)__________________________"Seriously. This is stupid."
(Bergen Village quests 5? inc. bonus video)______"I know this comes out of nowhere, but could you help me?"
(Faj'ro Temple 1)________________________________"But man... this dungeon sure is full of puzzles."
(Faj'ro Temple 2)________________________________"Why? Why the Laser Moths?"

(Master Sensei + Ba'kii Kum quests 2) ___________"We wired a distillery into a puzzle!"
(Ba'kii Kum quests 3)____________________________"My sandwich! You'll pay!"
(Autumn's Fall exploration 1)_____________________"We all know it's gonna be annoying."
(Autumn's Fall exploration 2)_____________________"The least they could give us is a proper bunny explosion!"
(Rookie Harbor quests 3)________________________"Now that one was just mean!"
(Rookie Harbor quests 4)________________________"Al... please mind the immersion."
(Para Island)____________________________________"They seek the experience... of the challenge!"

(Vermillion Wasteland Day 1)____________________"That's got to be the laziest quest writing I've ever seen."
(Vermillion Wasteland Day 2)____________________"Just what exactly is the whole point of this place?"
(Vermillion Wasteland Day 3)____________________"...Oh... Oh Junge..."
(Vermillion Wasteland Day 4 + 5)________________"What a strange way to prioritize security."
(Vermillion Tower)______________________________"Hence, we shall honor it with an appropriate climax!!"
(M.S. Solar)_____________________________________"Sergey, ye've got some explainin' to do!"

(Gaia's Garden intro + Apollo)____________________"Hey Lea, is everything alright with you?"
(Basin Keep intro + quests 1)_____________________"You are a loose cannon, Seeker!"
(Gaia's Garden exploration 1)_____________________"You can't have an RPG without good-old blobs."
(Basin Keep quests 2)____________________________"Don't want to stress you, but this is getting a bit painful..."
(Gaia's Garden exploration 2)_____________________"This wasn't right! Why was I defeated?! This smells like cheating!!"
(Basin Keep quests 3 + V'rda Vil)_________________"Lea's expression says it all."
(Basin Keep quests 4 + C'tron)____________________"Instead... let me ask the most important questions."
(So'najiz Temple 1)_______________________________"That's right! Only lots of fish. Fish are ok."
(So'najiz Temple 2)_______________________________"Yes, Lea! I get it! You waited! Mon Dieu!"
(Zir'vitar Temple 1)_______________________________"They make my brain hurt."
(Zir'vitar Temple 2)_______________________________"I have to admit that huge electric stream up there makes me slightly nervous."
(Dr. Cretia)_______________________________________"This got me thinking: Where have I seen this before?"
(Basin Keep quests 5)____________________________"But let us say that this route is... not official."
(Basin Keep quests 6)____________________________"Well this is quite unsettling."
(Basin Keep quests 7)____________________________"The press would murder us for such a risky operation inside the city."
(Grand Krys'kajo 1)_______________________________"Ape guy!! Did you meet the ape guy?"
(Grand Krys'kajo 2)_______________________________"Now the end game begins!"

(Basin Keep quests 8)____________________________"DIE DIE DIE"
(Sapphire Ridge intro)____________________________"WHAT IS THIS? ARE THEY WALKING?! ARE THOSE SWORDS?!"
(The Cave Inn)___________________________________"Non, mamie. I do NOT want to catch a bug. No bugs."
(Sapphire Ridge trials 1)__________________________"Non non, Tronny. Spiders are fine."
(Sapphire Ridge trials 2)__________________________"That pipe... that doesn't seem physically correct, does it?"
(Sapphire Ridge trials 3)__________________________"Bug... Bug... Samurai... Bug... Samurai... Boss..."
(Rhombus Square)_______________________________"Are you FINALLY ready to go farming then?"
(Arena + Old Man)________________________________"Didn't even say goodbye. He'll never change."
(Henry)___________________________________________"W-w-well, well. I guess my cover is officially b-b-broken."
(Old Hideout)_____________________________________"Hello, again. Still kicking, I see."

(Endgame Grind + Kit Renaud)____________________"What the heck is this monstrosity?"
(Last Minute Heroes + Ba'kii Kum quests 4)_______"Faceroll it till you make it, right?"
(4 Visionaries)___________________________________"You might have heard of our company."
(D'Kar)___________________________________________"He can get very, very dramatic sometimes."
(Mr. Vestorovich)_________________________________"The future of Evotars may very well depend on this call."
(First Scholars)___________________________________"Yet all of this... suddenly became very real, didn't it?"
(Vermillion Wasteland)____________________________"Holy frigging lasers!!"
(Vermillion Tower)________________________________"Gautham, you cannot be serious..."
(Gautham)________________________________________"And thus... the experience is over."
(Sergey)__________________________________________"Bye!"

(New Game Plus 1)_______________________________"THIS IS CHEATING! AN UNPRECEDENTED LEVEL OF CHEATING!!"
(New Game Plus 2)_______________________________"And this time we are prepared for your damage level!"

(Homestedt)_____________________________________"Lea meet!! Why wait?!"
(Para Island)_____________________________________"No worries. The Worst Column Tackler understands."
(C'tron)___________________________________________"Who are you... again?"

(Rhombus Square exploration)____________________"Also it's probably used for another elaborate puzzle."
(DLC quests)_____________________________________"Owo, what this?"
(Azure Archipelago)______________________________"That's one of those long jump puzzles, isn't it?"
(DLC quests)_____________________________________"Upgrading this thing involved fighting monstrous incarnations of booze?"
(DLC quests + Apollo)____________________________"The path... of... JUSTICE!"
(Toby)___________________________________________"I've been feeling this incredible... dread."

(DLC quests)_____________________________________"Nope! No idea who that guy was, haha."
(Ku'lero Temple 1)________________________________"Are you by any chance wondering about my preferred dungeon length?"
(Ku'lero Temple 2)________________________________"Are you enjoying the dungeon?"
(Ku'lero Temple 3)________________________________"And... that will be it, I suppose?"
(Sidwell)_________________________________________"That's the thing. It felt wrong."

(DLC quests)_____________________________________"Guest characters. For crying out loud."
(DLC quests)_____________________________________"[sage, yet stern goat noises]"
(Vermillion Wasteland)____________________________"Let's have one last talk."

:lea:

Fedule fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:lea:

I suppose it'll be helpful to some later readers if I put the first (double bill!) update in its own post, so here we go! An audacious scheme is set in motion, and meanwhile, in the game, Lea learns about balls and offending God.

(Prologue + Cargo Hold) "Okay, where to start? How about... Welcome to CrossWorlds!"
(M.S. Solar + Newcomer's Bridge) "...Did ye just call me a 'mortal', ye nutcase?"

Notable Music:

Cargo Hold - Technically not the tutorial dungeon, but, the tutorial dungeon. Love that lo-fi bass opening.

Notable lore:

Fedule fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 22, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hi!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its an incredibly charming game and I willingly gave it 60 hours of time.
Would give more were there more stuff to do.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hello :)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh that's an exclamation point

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Lea!

I actually just picked this up myself during the last Steam sale and I am loving it. But I agree with your description of the game having zero chill. This is not a podcast game or something you can shut your brain off for. You're always either platforming, or engaged in combat (that you have to pay attention to or you will die!), or working your way through puzzles that require actual effort and brainpower. But if you're willing to put the effort in, by God will you get your money's worth.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Cross Code is a game that I have gotten extremely angry at before. This was before they patched in the ability to change the difficulty, mind. For some reason I keep bouncing off of it when I try to play it. So I'm glad it's finally getting the LP treatment.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

i played this game for like an hour but quickly realized it wasn't gelling with me for reasons already discussed at length in the very first video, which was enough to put me off it entirely.

but there was still a lot of other stuff about it i was pretty interested in. and now i get to experience the good bits without having to personally deal with all the stuff i didn't like, thanks to the magic of let's play! how nice.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have watched the first episode and this does look like a lot of fun to watch and I am very much enjoying how expressive Lea is.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This game really rules and I hope you'll have fun doing and watching this LP.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: projection types, a burning question on no-one's mind but happened to be mentioned in the first episode, this game isn't isometric, no. It uses a type of oblique projection.

Wikipedia, bless it, has a taxonomy of common projections:

CrossCode has the player's sort of looking down at a 45 degree angle, but the foreshortening doesn't correspond to any real observer. Floor tiles are drawn as though they're viewed straight top-down yet you also see the faces of walls at about the same angle. However, some elements seem to be drawn in a "real" 45 degree orthographic when it's important that the geometry makes real-world sense to the viewer, like the front of the ship. The design is very SNES; Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, etc. do much the same.

Bonus rant: my dumb and quixotic video game pet peeve is that almost no game called isometric is actually isometric. Isometric is specifically the orthographic projection where the 3 major axes are equally foreshortened. An isometric projection isn't possible in tiled pixel graphics and tends to look more top-down than you want in 3D, so your Civilizations, UFO: Enemy Unknowns and Final Fantasy Tactics use a more relaxed orthographic projection where the height axis is shortened more than the two planar ones so square tiles are displayed exactly twice as wide as they are tall on your monitor. That way the tiles can be drawn with a nice, whole number of pixels and the planar axes are easily drawn 2:1 pixel lines, neither of which would be true with isometric projection.

This is a completely unimportant distinction, yet I still gnash my teeth whenever someone talks about [enter video game here] as isometric.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Crosscode is a game that I love to pieces and will push at everyone if I can get a chance. And somehow the devs got it to fit into a mere 1.24 GB, which is smaller than the original version of Final Fantasy 7. It's even got a nifty soundtrack that people should buy and listen to regardless of whether they want to play the game. (My favorite track doesn't show up until after the halfway mark.)

What version of the game are you running? On the one hand I know there's tiny bits of content exclusive to each platform and I would like to see it, but on the other hand if you have a fix for getting PS4 button prompts on PC I would also like to see that.

Platforming in Crosscode is a weird beast, because if I want to get anywhere I just look around at elevations and grok the topology and wonder where the problem is. Cathedral of the Sacred Blood from Code Vein is the same way for me. But at the same time I understand that I'm probably not the norm for spatial ability. Part of my day job involves arranging weirdly shaped objects into a coherent whole. I can do that really well, but I dunno how to teach other people to also do it well.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Found this LP due to youtube, am pretty hype for it. A bunch of IRC (now Discord) friends played this a bunch but it might be too much for me to get far in, so I'm really looking forward to skipping the grind and stuff.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xerophyte posted:

Re: projection types, a burning question on no-one's mind but happened to be mentioned in the first episode, this game isn't isometric, no. It uses a type of oblique projection.

CrossCode has the player's sort of looking down at a 45 degree angle, but the foreshortening doesn't correspond to any real observer. Floor tiles are drawn as though they're viewed straight top-down yet you also see the faces of walls at about the same angle. However, some elements seem to be drawn in a "real" 45 degree orthographic when it's important that the geometry makes real-world sense to the viewer, like the front of the ship. The design is very SNES; Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, etc. do much the same.

Bonus rant: my dumb and quixotic video game pet peeve is that almost no game called isometric is actually isometric. Isometric is specifically the orthographic projection where the 3 major axes are equally foreshortened. An isometric projection isn't possible in tiled pixel graphics and tends to look more top-down than you want in 3D, so your Civilizations, UFO: Enemy Unknowns and Final Fantasy Tactics use a more relaxed orthographic projection where the height axis is shortened more than the two planar ones so square tiles are displayed exactly twice as wide as they are tall on your monitor. That way the tiles can be drawn with a nice, whole number of pixels and the planar axes are easily drawn 2:1 pixel lines, neither of which would be true with isometric projection.

This is a completely unimportant distinction, yet I still gnash my teeth whenever someone talks about [enter video game here] as isometric.
`
...Hi.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Lea!

This game has deserved an LP for so long and it's finally happening. Godspeed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got something like halfway through this game before literally petering out on the gameplay; the dungeons and their puzzles were good, they were just so goddamn long

Glad to see this LP; I'm looking forward to one particular line of dialogue showing up much later, so I can bawl like a little baby again (I wonder if anyone can guess what bit)

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I love this game, but it also broke me with its puzzles so much so that I can't do the later half without dropping the puzzle speed because god drat do the dev expect you to do some 4D mental gymnastics in some of those final dungeons.

Anyways, I did managed to test some stuff that was asked in the current update. Namely can you kill the enemies that spawn during the escape sequence? The answer is yes, but you'd need to do nearly 10k worth of damage, and doing so triggers some dialog only available in New Game+. (Or if you're a cool kid like me and pulled some kooky stuff with this game's save system.)They also don't respawn, there's only the scripted spawns and that's it.

Also I'm one of those players that face-button guards, because I feel it's just easier to time parries with, and dash jumping.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 15, 2021

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
From how Fedule is speaking about this game there seem to be only a few things in life he loved this much.
I will admit he game has some balls. :v:

Looking forward to more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I disliked CrossCode at first, but I've come around to thinking it's pretty good.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Cool game, but I really didn't like how long the puzzle-heavy dungeons were and when the game had two loooong ones back to back about midway through I couldn't keep going. It's a real shame, the attention to detail and non-puzzle gameplay was top-notch, the combat was cool, I loved the itemization and doing quests and stuff, but even the highly customizable puzzle difficulty slider just... Didn't really help with how horrid and long the dungeons felt.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So the game on that the TV, that is an unfinished German RPG Maker 2000 game called Velsarbor. Like many RPG Maker games it was never finished but it featured crazy levels of spritework and custom systems. No one else can claim to have remade FF10s battle system in RPG Maker 2000. Did I mention spritework? Yeah....

The guy who made that, Lachsen, is one of the founders of Radical Fish, and thus one of Crosscode's lead devs.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

KazigluBey posted:

Cool game, but I really didn't like how long the puzzle-heavy dungeons were and when the game had two loooong ones back to back about midway through I couldn't keep going. It's a real shame, the attention to detail and non-puzzle gameplay was top-notch, the combat was cool, I loved the itemization and doing quests and stuff, but even the highly customizable puzzle difficulty slider just... Didn't really help with how horrid and long the dungeons felt.

I cannot wait until the thread gets to hear my take on the dungeons. :allears:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So the game on that the TV, that is an unfinished German RPG Maker 2000 game called Velsarbor. Like many RPG Maker games it was never finished but it featured crazy levels of spritework and custom systems. No one else can claim to have remade FF10s battle system in RPG Maker 2000. Did I mention spritework? Yeah....

The guy who made that, Lachsen, is one of the founders of Radical Fish, and thus one of Crosscode's lead devs.
Oh wow. I gathered from some scuttlebutt that the devs are German nerds, but I didn't realize they were that kind of German nerds. It's nice to see them get actual budget and leeway as opposed to being stuck with the RPGMaker toolset. Vampires Dawn this ain't.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DoubleNegative posted:

Cross Code is a game that I have gotten extremely angry at before. This was before they patched in the ability to change the difficulty, mind. For some reason I keep bouncing off of it when I try to play it. So I'm glad it's finally getting the LP treatment.

I am told - and again, this is all in the steam forums - that a lot of people got quite angry with the game after the difficulty sliders were added.

Xerophyte posted:

Hi...? (I love this actually)

It's always bothered me that this instantly recognisable and evocative videogame perspective projection doesn't have a name. Well, I guess, I imagine it's because it's neither really a perspective nor much of a projection but a result of trying to cherry-pick a handful of perspective quirks and put them in a 2D side-scroller with no capacity for parallax. Nintendo famously had to resort to some hilarious trickery to recreate the look in a 3D engine. But yes, CrossCode does the LttP/FFVI/etc thing exactly right down to occasionally breaking perspective and just putting some straight up artwork alongside the tiles.

NGDBSS posted:

What version of the game are you running? On the one hand I know there's tiny bits of content exclusive to each platform and I would like to see it, but on the other hand if you have a fix for getting PS4 button prompts on PC I would also like to see that.

This is the Steam/PC version. I wasn't aware PS4 prompts was something that called for a fix, I just plugged in a DS4, pressed a button, and all the icons swapped before my eyes.

NGDBSS posted:

Platforming in Crosscode is a weird beast, because if I want to get anywhere I just look around at elevations and grok the topology and wonder where the problem is. Cathedral of the Sacred Blood from Code Vein is the same way for me. But at the same time I understand that I'm probably not the norm for spatial ability. Part of my day job involves arranging weirdly shaped objects into a coherent whole. I can do that really well, but I dunno how to teach other people to also do it well.

The thing with 3D environments in this artstyle is that they like to resist most people's quick visual scans (because they have no depth to speak of) and instead require you to parse them out in a series of inferences and deductions. Games in the LttP style generally also technically have this problem but don't feature environments this vertically dense and/or have exceptionally careful art direction to ensure environments scan easily.

CrossCode gives you some tools that help with parsing verticality but IMO one of the game's actual flaws is not taking this difficulty into account and compensating with art direction from the outset. It's not like the game's unplayable like this, it's just one of those things that feels more difficult than it's really intended to be.

OutofSight posted:

From how Fedule is speaking about this game there seem to be only a few things in life he loved this much.
I will admit he game has some balls. :v:

Looking forward to more.

Man this game got its hooks in me. It's one of those games that just feels like they had exactly me in mind as the target audience, it felt authentic to games of the past even as it correctly adapted them to modern standards, it was smart and engaging and had meta poo poo and was super game-y, but mostly it was just doing a couple of gameplay things that I like, over and over again, continuously. You'll note the most common objection raised by readers so far, and, frankly, by me in the OP; the game's just a bit much at times. There'll be discourse about this in, uh, 8 or 9 videos time.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

[googling "how to pin forum comment to video"]

Artix posted:

I cannot wait until the thread gets to hear my take on the dungeons. :allears:

We're gonna break up live on air and it's gonna own.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Fedule posted:

It's always bothered me that this instantly recognisable and evocative videogame perspective projection doesn't have a name. Well, I guess, I imagine it's because it's neither really a perspective nor much of a projection but a result of trying to cherry-pick a handful of perspective quirks and put them in a 2D side-scroller with no capacity for parallax. Nintendo famously had to resort to some hilarious trickery to recreate the look in a 3D engine. But yes, CrossCode does the LttP/FFVI/etc thing exactly right down to occasionally breaking perspective and just putting some straight up artwork alongside the tiles.

There is technically a name for it, it's a transoblique projection.

I've never heard anyone use that term after a decade of coding CAD graphics, though, and most of the search results are for a font. If at some point you want to sound extra pretentious when, say, contrasting the style of Chrono Trigger with the cabinet projection of Japanese 18th century woodblocks then it's there for you, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'd watch this LP but you're the second person I've heard say "you should really play CrossCode" this week so I'll probably just buy it next time I need a PC game to play. It was already on my Steam Wishlist so I guess that's 3+ people who have recommended it to me? :v:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I beat this game, and enjoyed doing so, but I'll echo the difficulty regarding the puzzles. It was pretty rough even with the speed turned down. Also wasn't the biggest fan of how itemization worked, but I halfway came around on it.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I beat the game months ago, and also dug through the game's files to find the switch-activation sound effect and convert it to an mp3 and make it my message tone, so that's going to make replaying it or watching these videos weirder.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Xerophyte posted:

There is technically a name for it, it's a transoblique projection.

I've never heard anyone use that term after a decade of coding CAD graphics, though, and most of the search results are for a font. If at some point you want to sound extra pretentious when, say, contrasting the style of Chrono Trigger with the cabinet projection of Japanese 18th century woodblocks then it's there for you, though.

I'm gonna forget this immediately but I wish I wouldn't, this sounds like a great "well actually" to have in the ol' back pocket.

A good poster posted:

I beat the game months ago, and also dug through the game's files to find the switch-activation sound effect and convert it to an mp3 and make it my message tone, so that's going to make replaying it or watching these videos weirder.

I once set my alarm to one of the Zelda sunrise themes but all I accomplished is giving myself IRL morning crankiness every time an in-game morning happened.

But realtalk, though, the switch sound is super satisfying for reasons I dare not analyse in detail. Why is it so good? Every time you end a combat wave in a dungeon and the last little orb lands on that counter it's just joy.ogg.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Fedule posted:

But realtalk, though, the switch sound is super satisfying for reasons I dare not analyse in detail. Why is it so good? Every time you end a combat wave in a dungeon and the last little orb lands on that counter it's just joy.ogg.
The whole switch activation sequence in the cargo bay looks and sounds immensely satisfying. The ball-throwing, too, whether the targets are enemies or switches or boxes.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

I have watched the first episode and this does look like a lot of fun to watch and I am very much enjoying how expressive Lea is.

her 'smug' expression is particularly choice

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This game so far reminds me of .HACK, but with actual good gameplay. And possibly less dumb plot, more on that later.

I'm spoiled a lot because I watched a "all bosses no damage" video one or two years ago, and Gellot likes to give some story context in their videos, so I have the compressed cliff notes version of major plot points and twists.

I do like that unlike some other game series I already mentioned, the in-universe devs here took precautions against NPCs developing delusions of grandeur and trying to take over the real world or whatever the fruitcake flying jerk wanted to do.
Yes, I'm talking to you .HACK, how hard would it have been to write del MORGANNA.EXE in an admin terminal?

I assume the captain delayed deploying the CrossWorlds neutralizer because it would have affected Lea too.

And holy moly Lea is fantastic. Her :smug: is simply perfect and so are the rest of her expressions.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CrossCode has some of the strongest writing I've seen in a game. The plot is perfectly good, but the characters, their interactions and their voices are just fantastically done.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omobono posted:

This game so far reminds me of .HACK, but with actual good gameplay. And possibly less dumb plot, more on that later.

I only know a tiny bit about .hack but yes, CrossCode absolutely is less dumb

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
This looks really interesting. I really like their take on the silent protagonist idea.
Current odds that lea will turn out to be secretly an AI: 80%

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Cross Code is one of my favorite games, and I'm happy to see the love it is getting here. I just recently started a New Game + run, and it is just a lot of fun.

I could gush for a long time about the stuff I like about this game, but will just go with the character interactions being my favorite. It feels very authentic, and I feel like they nail how actual people playing an actual MMO sound, instead of what you see in other types of media. I'm looking at you Manga/Anime/Manhuas.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hi!

I loved this game ever since I got it in Early Access. It's incredibly well-made and incredibly charming. I have some words about the balance towards the end of the game, but that's about it. Everything else about this game is fantastic. The presentation, the dialogue, the atmosphere, everything.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Omobono posted:

I do like that unlike some other game series I already mentioned, the in-universe devs here took precautions against NPCs developing delusions of grandeur and trying to take over the real world or whatever the fruitcake flying jerk wanted to do.
I really, really loved that. Comes flying in all JRPG final boss-like going "Tremble in fear, foolish mortals!", immediately gets chumped by one guy with a bazooka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Add me to the chorus of voices looking for a sheet of Lea's expressions on a transparent background for use as Discord emojis or whatever. :allears: This game looks charming as hell so far.