Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
If there's a strategy that always works 100% of the time and costs minimal resources, what incentive would I ever have to change it up? Draining resources like CP or Overdrive means I need to waste time grinding them back up, and experimenting with new strategies means letting enemies have opportunities to whale on me and force me to heal up over and over again after each one. Besides, it's not like it's ever been the gameplay that enticed me about this anime.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Delphisage posted:

If there's a strategy that always works 100% of the time and costs minimal resources, what incentive would I ever have to change it up?

Getting bored with the strategy?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, the idea that someone didn't wish to finish the game because they were bored with using the same strategy they were using all game... at the exact time the game gives you THIRTEEN additional party members to mix things up if you care to seems contradictory. But it's fine, no skin off my nose.

I said that very wrong. What I meant was that if Delphisage considered this dungeon to be a waste of time, he would probably have those thoughts about the first three chapters of CS 3.

My apologies, then.

Delphisage posted:

If there's a strategy that always works 100% of the time and costs minimal resources, what incentive would I ever have to change it up? Draining resources like CP or Overdrive means I need to waste time grinding them back up, and experimenting with new strategies means letting enemies have opportunities to whale on me and force me to heal up over and over again after each one. Besides, it's not like it's ever been the gameplay that enticed me about this anime.

I believe it was Vonnegut who wrote: "We are here on Earth to fart around."

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

:negative:

Oh no, how many videos?

Two left until credits, then one bonus to wrap things up, but,

Level 1 Thief posted:

It's pretty much just all long ones for the epilogue.

edit: I've instituted a mandatory 2h cutoff for Zero videos because it seemed like a much better idea to go long a bunch of times in a row with a 7 video backlog than it does currently

Delphisage posted:

As much as I want to say "you do you" in terms of how you play games, I do think there's a lot of enjoyment to be had from interacting with all of a game's systems and seeing how they all work together. Even if I end up spreading myself too thin by doing so, it opens up a ton of options and presents situations that I wouldn't get to experience otherwise. This can of course go awry (see CS1 chapter 2 boss video, one of the most miserable we've ever done I think) but it's a lot healthier to approach things that way than turning the game into self-inflicted tedium. This is why I usually don't just go in and tweak all the numbers in Cheat Engine, or look up optimal playstyle guides, or whatever.

I'm also not above just modding out tedious things either. I recently played FFX on PC and used a mod so that the whole party just gets experience without having to perform an action in battle first. This probably saved ten hours. Maybe a no-combat mod would just be the right move for you in this case?

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ The number of people who play this game I've seen that never even touch their reserve/support party members actually wounds me. I switch characters constantly.

I do like to think we were pretty good about this one, for the most part. Not a lot of switching in the middle of bosses but I always tried to be open to it.

Cyouni posted:

- Arts Support can in fact pop infinite times.

I think this did happen a few times in a later battle but it's very strange that it would go off only once in a battle as often as it did. The RNG in this game is really screwy sometimes.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 17, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
God, two long videos until credits, huh? Going to be real interesting seeing what you did given it's pretty possible to speed through this dungeon. Especially if you just sell off all your sepith to get Phantasmal Mirrors - between Ice Crown and general stats, they're all very competent. Even Altina, who I think I place at the worst by a solid margin.

Delphisage posted:

I...wasn't? I don't think I've ever talked about stuff from CS4 on this thread.

I've definitely seen you make comments on CS4 things in the Falcom thread.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Level 1 Thief posted:

I do like to think we were pretty good about this one, for the most part. Not a lot of switching in the middle of bosses but I always tried to be open to it.

Believe me, you more or less are. I've seen quite a few people play, though who literally never touch it.

What's even worse is how many drop Machias entirely, when he's probably on average the best in battle character in the series, never being outside of the top 3 in any game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Veryslightlymad posted:

What's even worse is how many drop Machias entirely, when he's probably on average the best in battle character in the series, never being outside of the top 3 in any game.

Yes but he's annoying

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

278. Corridors & Cryptids

Action, intrigue, romance -- this epilogue's got a little bit of everything.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ Rean telling someone there are other fish in the sea is the single most infuriating sentence in the series, if you stop and consider it too hard.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Big fan of the Game Over theme being cued up as soon as Anton declares his love.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Classy Hydra posted:

Big fan of the Game Over theme being cued up as soon as Anton declares his love.

This is even funnier if you know the name of the track, which is "Failing Marks..."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rosine did talk to Thomas at least once; at the start of the first game, she was handing in a permission slip to go be an apprentice nun :v:

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Rean telling someone there are other fish in the sea is the single most infuriating sentence in the series, if you stop and consider it too hard.

Plenty of Reans in the mean machine

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 23, 2022

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Veryslightlymad posted:

What makes it even more infuriating is that it's delivered without a complete hint of self-awareness or irony. Class VII suffers without a Horny Florida as part of the team. (Crow used to fill that role, but...you know) If Lloyd had dropped a line like that, Randy would have immediately called him out on it.

Hwurmp posted:

Rosine did talk to Thomas at least once; at the start of the first game, she was handing in a permission slip to go be an apprentice nun :v:

Plenty of Reans in the mean machine

She was also present in the library from time to time helping him whenever he was doing research. At the time, we didn't think much of it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I meant to attach these to my last reply to a video, but I forgot.

Veryslightlymad posted:

-Claire reaches for Rean here not out of love or a crush, but out of approval. She correctly sees Rean as a giant of human compassion. Losing his approval is devastating to her.

The more I think about it, the more I'm going to disagree with that interpretation. Here's what she said right after reaching out:

Claire: "That wasn't the only reason I worried about you, you know. Not that I could possibly tell him that."

"That wasn't the only reason I worried about you" doesn't fit with "I want you to approve of me in a platonic fashion." Additionally, Toval, Elise and Alfin seem to be picking up a vibe as well.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Finally, the real heartbreak here is, as crazy/stupid as the "get Crow back" plan was, and the whole "we're a third faction" bit.... The fact of the matter is that Class VII very nearly pulled it off and only Deus ex Machina stopped them. They were, in the end, beaten by the side they were "allied" with. No one grocks that and it drives me bananas.

No, they didn't "very nearly pull it off". Not even close. That was the point of the Finale chapter's ending. Osborne so thoroughly rigged the game that Class VII had lost from the very start. That's why the reveal of Rufus-the-Ironblood and alive-all-along-Osborne hits so hard. Class VII, and Prince Olivert were played for total suckers and fools.

- I was wondering where you were going with the long intro. Oh nooooo, you were expecting the game to explain things! Oh dear.
- Yeah, engaging as little as possible with the final dungeon is a good idea. It's a lot.
- I'm fairly certain that you explicitly do not need to fill out ANYTHING in the "Extra" category to get the achievement, that's why it's the "Extra" category. I certainly didn't fill out the entire Reverie Corridor stuff with all four shuffles, and I got all the achievements. In fact, because of the tiers and the one-time-bosses, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a full notebook without like 3 replays carrying over the notebook.
- "Will we ever learn what Casper's hometown in the west is called?" No. At least, not in CS 3/4. Probably never.
- Colette's second note was the night of Dec 30th, you didn't talk to her in the park. Which is a little ironic because of all the time you spent there playing with the Margerita "heart" shape.
- Levels are I think just an RPG balance mechanic and don't really reflect in-universe story power, despite "number goes up".
- The Pantagruel was, naturally, seized by the Imperial Government.
- "If a Fie gets some actual love and care, you have her grow into Fie, if not you get a Lechter." Mmmm... no. If a Fie does NOT get some actual love and care, you get something very, very different and unpleasant in a very different way from a Lechter.

- Beryl's gimmick is basically being mysterious and unexplained.
- The problem with most of the guest characters in the Reverie Corridor is that they only tend to have 3 crafts, and they're not usually better than the crafts your regulars get.
- I like the No Nonsense Curry for a 1-turn +50% ATS boost, useful for the magic-type S-Crafts.
- "I noticed that if you're hitting with like 9 [stat downs], it'll still check every single one." Yep. That's why these games have the infamous AT Delay builds for Rean which is a game-breaker to the point of making it unfun.
- I can't recall orbal prosthetics being a thing. I'm pretty sure those don't exist with the current level of technology.

- This scene is one reason why playing Sky the 3rd before this game is a good idea. If you ha only played the Cold Steel games, you wouldn't have as much context to understand this scene.
- I think that to the people on the outside, that probably looked like a glitch in the matrix, like Thomas seemed to be moving, then suddenly his body was in a slightly different position, or something.
- If Ries is an example of the kind of squire which gets assigned to a Dominion, then simple, sweet Rosine is most likely a very formidable fighter even on her own. She could probably take on any four members of Class VII by herself and put up a solid fight.
- Cold Steel 3 assumes you saw that scene and just flat out reveals that information, which came as a surprise to a lot of players who hadn't seen the CS 2 bonus scene.

Blasts from the Past:

"CS 1 LP, Episode Friendship F7-3 posted:

"Millium - if you count weird lab children, is probably the youngest."

You called it, all right.

"CS 1 LP, Episode 88 posted:

"I am so suspicious of you, Instructor Thomas." "He might not be Bleublanc, but he is suspicious as hell." "He is smarter than we give him credit for."

Yep, there were little hints at Thomas being more than expected. Credit to Makarov for also picking up on it. He wasn't chosen by Schmidt to be a disciple for nothing.

"CS 1 LP, Episode 92 posted:

On Class V: "Rosine's a little normal." "Yeah, she's the straight man of the crew."

So yeah, Rosine being normal, not so much!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 24, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No, they didn't "very nearly pull it off". Not even close. That was the point of the Finale chapter's ending. Osborne so thoroughly rigged the game that Class VII had lost from the very start. That's why the reveal of Rufus-the-Ironblood and alive-all-along-Osborne hits so hard. Class VII, and Prince Olivert were played for total suckers and fools.

We're not in disagreement with what happened. That would be the deus ex machina part I referred to. "Secretly not dead guy shows up with his long con partner" is something that can't be accounted for. Class VII beat everyone else.

That and Crow dying at the end anyhow is all that stopped them from achieving every single one of their goals.

So the criticism I see all the time is that they had unrealistic goals and weren't really a third faction that was distinct from the imperials, and both of those statements literally can't be true simultaneously.

Osborne's secret alliance is what ultimately thwarted them. And he was, more or less, the imperials. So if they were crushed, they were crushed by the side everyone says they were allied to.

In a universe where Osborne is still gone, class VII has a much more profound say in the aftermath. They proved themselves here as a legitimate force, even in defeat. That they rallied and came up with the discussed plans to all work hard at the things they individually can is a bit of a promise for future highs. The teaser here is "what can a totally prepared, ideal version of Class VII pull off?"

The more I think about it, the more I'm going to disagree with that interpretation. Here's what she said right after reaching out:

Claire: "That wasn't the only reason I worried about you, you know. Not that I could possibly tell him that."

"That wasn't the only reason I worried about you" doesn't fit with "I want you to approve of me in a platonic fashion." Additionally, Toval, Elise and Alfin seem to be picking up a vibe as well.

I would agree that "platonic" love isn't nearly deep enough of a meaning, but at the same time, I would insist that romantic love is just as erroneous a conclusion as platonic love. (Side note---kind of hate labeling love these ways, but it's less confusing to borrow the terms then to go on a lengthy rant about my personal feelings toward love, as though we were Olivier and Bleublanc.)

I dunno how much of this, if any, spoils CS3. I don't talk about anything directly, but my conclusions draw heavily from that game.

At any rate, to put my explanation another way, Claire seeks her own absolution, and Rean is the/a person that she feels might be able to provide it. Those are certainly feelings deep enough to be hesitant to tell someone. A lot of it is built up in her head, but if I had to describe it as [x] love, then my answer for "x" would be "spiritual".

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I mean the question of if Class VII were "beaten" is sort of irrelevant; the issue was that they were being played for the benefit of the Imperial faction to an extent that none of them were actively aware of. Osborne arranged the situation such that he could marginalize half of his enemies and safely absorb the other half, all while minimizing damage to the national character from the civil war and establishing a solid casus belli to invade Crossbell, and this would've happened regardless of who survived as long as the Noble Alliance was stopped by the apolitical symbol of the Ashen Chevalier.

The issue isn't that Class VII was manipulated into doing things they didn't want to do; the issue is they were manipulated such that the things they wanted to, were in fact the the things Osborne wanted them to do. This applies to Olivert's faction of rogue nobles as much as it does the kids; the trick was that the existence of a "neutral" third party was used to delegitimize the Noble Faction as a rogue element, which of course paints the Reformist faction as the safe, status-quo preserving, pro-Imperial party who can safely consume yet another nation without internal blowback. The Reformists are political in nature, so trying to grab power normally would be opposed. Trying to grab power from the insurrectionist Noble Alliance, who were rightfully stopped by the Ashen Chelavier? Well that just seems like the kind of reasonable move you'd want any good politician to do. Of course Osborne should have more power, did you see what happened the last time the Great Houses had any real say?

As that "third party" only existed in the context of a civil war, and only to oppose the Noble Alliance, it can be safely dismantled and integrated into the Reformist faction simply by Osborne taking the peacekeeper role; after all, if everyone's willing to get along (under Osborne's rules), what purpose could a "third way" have? There's no threat to Erebonia anymore, after all.

It's a neat storytelling trick; I like it a lot, because not only is it a rather comprehensive plan that actually resembles real political maneuvering, Olivert and Class VII were snared by their natures as much as by any practical consideration. Even if they knew in advance Osborne was alive and planning to benefit off of their success, they wouldn't be able to do much about it; after all, protecting Erebonia is more important to all of them, even Olivert, than trying to score points on a political opponent they don't have a full grasp of how to contend against.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- The problem with most of the guest characters in the Reverie Corridor is that they only tend to have 3 crafts, and they're not usually better than the crafts your regulars get.

On paper, several of them actually are. Elise's Holy Squall is a copy of Elliot's Holy Song, except it heals a larger percentage of HP and unlike Elliot, she can aim it wherever she wants. Alfin's Royal Cheer is a copy of Jusis' Noble Command, except its effects last for 5 turns, rather than 3 and her Detector Y also has the largest delay value of any attack in the game. (a whopping +50 AT Delay, compared to Arc Slash' +25; not that this matters in practice when Alfin's slow as molasses and Rean can get two Arc Slashes off in the time it takes Alfin to cast her Detector once) Claire's Flawless Leadership is a copy of Machias' Burst Drive, except it's full-screen AND gives an offensive and defensive buff. Sharon's Tea Time is a copy of Alisa's Blessed Arrow, except it's full-screen, heals a larger percentage of HP, CP and also removes status ailments to boot. Toval doesn't have any spectacular crafts, but his Quick Caliber accessory is stronger than any casting reduction Class VII can equip. Towa's Weakener craft is a completely unique mechanic that no other character up to Cold Steel IV has ever replicated.

So most of the guest characters have at least one craft that's better than the variation that Class VII has, the main issue is that with their smaller craft list, they're much less versatile than the Class VII members, who have more tools at their disposal even if none of those tools are overtuned.

- I think that to the people on the outside, that probably looked like a glitch in the matrix, like Thomas seemed to be moving, then suddenly his body was in a slightly different position, or something.

Of all the people you can take along, Sharon's the only one who casts a suspicious glare at Thomas instead of merely being confused by what just happened.

- If Ries is an example of the kind of squire which gets assigned to a Dominion, then simple, sweet Rosine is most likely a very formidable fighter even on her own. She could probably take on any four members of Class VII by herself and put up a solid fight.

Given that Thomas isn't just any Dominion, but actually the number 2 in the order, that's very likely. For full context, Scarlet, who used variations of Ries' attacks and was not exactly a slouch in combat, was a squire-in-training.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

spoilers: Elliot does end up enlisting, not in the Imperial Army, but the World Brothers of the EDF

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
  • I've actually played Root Double, so I know exactly the part you're talking about. God, I can't imagine some of those Xtend episodes being in the flashbacks in Routes B and D, that would have just been slow. Especially the D parts, which were already pretty flashbacky.
  • I kinda like the three Phantasmal Mirrors that let you access characters you couldn't otherwise access. Otherwise, gently caress the Reverie Corridor.
  • I don't actually think it bars you from using Class VII members with Phantasmal Mirrors.
  • Interesting that Rainbow Shot supposedly uses all seven elements, but the animation only shows the four primaries.
  • The Legend of Humans doesn't have the same ring to it.
  • Honestly, between Phantasmal Mirror characters and Even More Zemurian Ore, I never found the cryptids to be too bad. Even the worst Phantasmal Mirror character is still statted out and geared to a high level.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

279. A Hollow Trial (CS2 End)

Following Osborne cutting the brakes in the finale, Class VII's adventure rolls to a gentle stop, where it will await repairs.

Thanks to everyone for hanging out with us through these long-rear end games! Hope you all had a good time! We've got one more bonus video where we give our concluding thoughts, and then it's off to Crossbell. Everything got pushed back a bit because I got sick for a week for Christmas but the CS2->Zero gap won't be anywhere near as long as the CS1->CS2 gap; everything's just about ready to get going on it. Stay tuned!

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
So, Geofront patch, or the recent Steam release?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The latter. We figure we're not wrapping the whole game in under 3 months so we can keep pace with the official ones.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, no real reason to roll it back to the fan patch, especially since the official release is largely based on it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

secretly best girl posted:

The latter. We figure we're not wrapping the whole game in under 3 months so we can keep pace with the official ones.

I mean this one only took you, uh, two? Years?

Jeez. That's crazy to think about. It's been a blast. Thanks for showcasing some of my very favorite games. I'm glad that, a few warts of the games aside, you still generally really enjoyed yourselves.

EDIT:
(Added a quote, so I was more obviously responding to the right person.)

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Level 1 Thief posted:

Yeah, no real reason to roll it back to the fan patch, especially since the official release is largely based on it.

There's one reason, and that's for the handful of chest quotes that XSeed didn't keep.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

white darkness is what you see inside all the other doors

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
So, you already started Zero? Just in case you didn't know about it, I strongly suggest installing this mod. It adds dialogue portraits for 15 more characters. Some of them have character portraits in Azure (like how in Sky SC the non-Clem orphans and the Ravens suddenly got portraits), some of them should have had character portraits from the get-go and some of them still have no business having portraits, but have them anyway. (looking at you Fernand) Most of them got their portraits ported over from Azure and Falcom's Gacha game, a handful of them got new ones.

Anyway, congratulations on finally finishing the game. It's been quite a few years between these games, but I did enjoy your playthroughs and commentary. My own in-thread comments faded away a bit when your videos made the jump from 30 minutes to 2 hours, since I can usually watch 30 minute videos in one sitting and remember what specific remarks were made, but I usually have to spread 2-hour videos over 3 or 4 sittings and micro-commentary gets lost as a result.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Wow! This took almost exactly two years! Considering how long these games can be, that's ridiculously quick! Thanks for LPing this game!

Edit: Exclamation marks!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 1, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Congratulations on finishing the game. There's a lot of it after the "Finale" (I think your videos totaled about 13 hours of post-finale content), but you didn't let it break you.

- I think Fred sold Pizzas in CS 1, but everyone's menu changes between games because the characters base health changes.
- You don't like it when there are unexpected forced characters at random? I have some bad news about future Cold Steel games. But at least those games auto-level even unused characters to keep pace, and upgrade material can be acquired fairly easily without combat.
- I imagine that Rean would be in the white next year.
- I don't recall any quests for LeSage in Trista, but there was a quest for LeSage in Heimdallr.
- Re: Crossbell Fishing - Narses is only in Azure.

- I think that every item which grants immunity to all status effects is ungrindable - you can only get ones explicitly granted from chests/quests/characters.
- I don't think the Trails Series really does "short" final dungeons, ever (CS 3 - CS 3's final dungeon is the closest thing to a "short" final dungeon). There are some parts of CS 3/4's endgame dungeons which you might like, but others you might not. Neither have puzzles.

- I will say that the endgame dungeon of CS 3 is straightforward and CS 4's endgame, while incredibly long, is structured to encourage breaks.
- That big power "reduce to 1 HP" is just something the boss does, not related to summoning Valimar.
- I forgot that this boss inflicts confuse as well.
- I did specifically warn secretly best girl (behind spoiler tags) about this boss having Vanish.
- Staggering of things like holstering weapons is done because it can feel artificial if everyone does them in perfect sync. It breaks the illusion.
- Not sure why so many people aren't in the proper CS 1 casual outfits... but I guess that's intentional for whatever reason since the pre-rendered movie had the same outfits.
- The final boss is there so that Class VII can go out in a way which feels like an emotional high, instead of the crushing outcome of the Infernal Castle boss which left everyone in a bad place.

- The "Part 1" of story arcs are the ones which usually end on lots of explosions, to set up the stakes for Part 2. Part 2's tend to come to a conclusive finale. CS 2 is an oddball in that because Cold Steel is divided into two arcs of two games each, so the Finale chapter had the big conclusion to the first arc, and everything after that - the Divertissment and Epilogue - is largely setup for the second arc.
- About the Fiona rescue feeling like padding, and something which could have been cut... The "padding" issue gets worse.
- Machias and Elliot live in the same city, so sharing a picture makes sense.
- It is possible that they didn't do much with Zio because that would be retreading ground covered with Sieg.
- Re: Emma's photo. That's Emma's hometown. There are a few reasons why you didn't visit there, one of which is that it's in western Erebonia.

- In that group photo at the end, there are a lot of great little touches, but personally, my favorite is Rean holding Alisa's hand.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 1, 2023

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I mean this one only took you, uh, two? Years?

Jeez. That's crazy to think about. It's been a blast. Thanks for showcasing some of my very favorite games. I'm glad that, a few warts of the games aside, you still generally really enjoyed yourselves.

Thank you! It's been a hell of a ride for sure, warts and all.

Delphisage posted:

There's one reason, and that's for the handful of chest quotes that XSeed didn't keep.

The chest messages can be fun, but it's an extra thing that wasn't even in the original game so I don't see that as a big incentive or anything.

Hwurmp posted:

white darkness is what you see inside all the other doors

I see, I see. We spent so long with The Box as part of daily life that I forgot we are all trapped in it, always.

Erpy posted:

So, you already started Zero? Just in case you didn't know about it, I strongly suggest installing this mod. It adds dialogue portraits for 15 more characters. Some of them have character portraits in Azure (like how in Sky SC the non-Clem orphans and the Ravens suddenly got portraits), some of them should have had character portraits from the get-go and some of them still have no business having portraits, but have them anyway. (looking at you Fernand) Most of them got their portraits ported over from Azure and Falcom's Gacha game, a handful of them got new ones.

Good news, I already have it installed! As soon as I saw someone mention it I knew I had to have it, haha. I do see it's updated since we last recorded so I'll make sure to grab the new version, thanks for bringing it up.

Erpy posted:

Anyway, congratulations on finally finishing the game. It's been quite a few years between these games, but I did enjoy your playthroughs and commentary. My own in-thread comments faded away a bit when your videos made the jump from 30 minutes to 2 hours, since I can usually watch 30 minute videos in one sitting and remember what specific remarks were made, but I usually have to spread 2-hour videos over 3 or 4 sittings and micro-commentary gets lost as a result.

Thanks a lot! I know a lot of people have to split viewing sessions for long videos, but if I had to do metadata for like 190 45-minute parts this all would have taken significantly longer and been a lot more stressful for me, I think. I felt a lot better about going long once Youtube added support for the timestamp chapters and I tried hard to keep those up, I hope it helped!

Prowler posted:

Wow! This took almost exactly two years! Considering how long these games can be, that's ridiculously quick! Thanks for LPing this game!

Edit: Exclamation marks!

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on finishing the game. There's a lot of it after the "Finale" (I think your videos totaled about 13 hours of post-finale content), but you didn't let it break you.

- I think that every item which grants immunity to all status effects is ungrindable - you can only get ones explicitly granted from chests/quests/characters.

Thanks for watching and all the notes passed behind my back! I'm aware I'm pretty stubborn about using guides and the like, and it took a bit to find a good rhythm with all of it but it was very helpful and I appreciate it a lot.

Regarding the Grail Lockets and the like, can those be passed on with NG+? Getting enough for everyone in the Reverie Corridor would be a bit much but if those can carry over, and you're already inclined to do multiple runs this way, it doesn't seem like it'd be too odious to get a set of 7.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

The chest messages can be fun, but it's an extra thing that wasn't even in the original game so I don't see that as a big incentive or anything.

Especially since many of the chest messages were carried over from Geofront, and only some were replaced. It's certainly not significant enough to be worthwhile for a separate playthrough.

Level 1 Thief posted:

Good news, I already have it installed! As soon as I saw someone mention it I knew I had to have it, haha. I do see it's updated since we last recorded so I'll make sure to grab the new version, thanks for bringing it up.

Bad news is that the actual game has since updated, and since those changes touched at least some scenario files, that broke the mod, and as of now there isn't an update to the More Portraits, although the mod author did note that an update's time is TBD. It's probably a little worse for me because in addition to the update to More Portraits, I'll also need to wait on the Inevitable Zero (with More Portraits) update. I think I might need to restart Chapter 2 from the beginning.

Level 1 Thief posted:

Thanks for watching and all the notes passed behind my back! I'm aware I'm pretty stubborn about using guides and the like, and it took a bit to find a good rhythm with all of it but it was very helpful and I appreciate it a lot.

Regarding the Grail Lockets and the like, can those be passed on with NG+? Getting enough for everyone in the Reverie Corridor would be a bit much but if those can carry over, and you're already inclined to do multiple runs this way, it doesn't seem like it'd be too odious to get a set of 7.

I've started passing some notes for Crossbell, although the Chapter 2 ones will likely be delayed until the mod patches are out.

When loading a clear save, there is an options to carry over items, but that includes loads of stuff which would make the game really easy if you used it, and really, it's not that difficult enough to warrant it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I see a youtube comment already covered this but yeah Narses is just a 'randomly use English words mid-sentence' guy.

Still going to post this so I can mention Annie calls Lakelord III 'The Third onii-chan'

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Bad news is that the actual game has since updated, and since those changes touched at least some scenario files, that broke the mod, and as of now there isn't an update to the More Portraits, although the mod author did note that an update's time is TBD. It's probably a little worse for me because in addition to the update to More Portraits, I'll also need to wait on the Inevitable Zero (with More Portraits) update. I think I might need to restart Chapter 2 from the beginning.

Well, if all else fails, PH3 puts all their previous game versions up as Steam betas so it'll be easy enough to roll back if the mod hasn't been updated before we record next. Even if I end up having to remove the mod entirely it's not a big deal, and it doesn't seem like it'll come to that.

Polsy posted:

Still going to post this so I can mention Annie calls Lakelord III 'The Third onii-chan'

That's delightful.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Polsy posted:

'The Third onii-chan'

oniii-san

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

oniii-san

I want you to know I choked on 2:45AM coffee reading this, thanks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Level 1 Thief posted:

279. A Hollow Trial (CS2 End)

Following Osborne cutting the brakes in the finale, Class VII's adventure rolls to a gentle stop, where it will await repairs.

Thanks to everyone for hanging out with us through these long-rear end games! Hope you all had a good time! We've got one more bonus video where we give our concluding thoughts, and then it's off to Crossbell. Everything got pushed back a bit because I got sick for a week for Christmas but the CS2->Zero gap won't be anywhere near as long as the CS1->CS2 gap; everything's just about ready to get going on it. Stay tuned!

hold up

why does Crow still have a green shirt if Millium's there, they joined Class VII on the same day

series ruined forever

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I don't know if you're aware of this but Crow is kind of an rear end in a top hat and it was his way of going "I already have friends, freshmen."

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Also he didn't get his red coat until chapter 6, myth busted

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 4, 2023

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

shame that weird cat got in the photo but we're not retaking it. probably shouldn't be giving her so much milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Level 1 Thief posted:

Also he didn't get his red coat until chapter 6, myth busted

neither did Millium, Chapter 5 was still summer and they're all wearing the long-sleeved winter shirts in the photo

just how deep does this go