Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This looks like a loving trainwreck.

Tell me about the Finch mod though, is it a similar epic spanning mod, or is it limited to bg1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's incredible just how much work's gone into this mod

and it's astounding just how awful it is.

god wasn't there that one tob mod that made irenicus a *romanceable party member* ?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm honestly speechless about how awful this is.
Who thinks like this, who thinks this is romatnci? who thinks this is a reasonable way to act?

I'm legitimately blown away by the scale of this mod.

Jen'lig seems pretty cool! so much so that I'm not at all surprised by the fact that Jen'lig leaves if you don't take all devouring black hole.

God this is making me want to go back and make a mod as well coded but not as awful as this.

e: and no one says anything at all when she just wanders around loving everyone outside the party. Jesus christ.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The "your formidable mate" is giving me big flashbacks to the last megamod that fizzled out. Which is unfortunate cos I loved that playthrough, it ruled.

Deadset though, I'm just in awe at this mod - did someone pay money for this to be made? can they get that money back?

The continued use of really bad old english is destroying my psyche one word at a time.

It seems to me that this mod is all about changing the real protagonist to Sandrah, Charname is just (one of) the vehicle(s) she rides to conclude the story.

Also Jez'lik has officially overstayed their welcome.

e: jfc there was another page

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You know, I'm loving the concept of a mod like this as a creepypasta that just start slowly breaking down and breaking the fourth wall

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

jesus loving wept

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

There's always more

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cythereal posted:

Yep. Every map in the Infinity Engine games was hand-drawn. So most mods that add new areas to BG2 reuse areas from the series or from Icewind Dale.

There actually is one mod I can think of that adds a legit new area or two, but you can tell it's new and doesn't quite gel with the look of the games.

Also I've reinstalled BG1 and modded it up, and I blame this thread for it. Sandrah does not feature.

I know there's a bunch of mods that basically roll bg1&2 into one big game

but are there any megamods that are explicitly only for "good" content?

Ramc posted:

sandra gaining 7000 quest xp for imoen's quest

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Midnight Voyager posted:

I went to look up some mods and see what was around and ran across something totally by accident.

Innocent newbie: Hey, so the version of your mod here is 1.4, but there's a version in this installer that's 4.0.
Someone on the forum: *very politely worded* Yes, 1.4 is the author's version that was updated last month. The 4.0 is edited by Roxanne to feature Sandrah.

So she just... she just takes other people's mods, edits them to feature Sandrah, and redistributes them unmarked in her installer as if they are the originals??? That's more of a "gently caress no" than I even knew!

Wait what?

As in, she's updating Sandrah's mod to feature cross-mod banter with those other mods?

Or specifically, she's taking the authors work, and editting them to add in Sandrah seperately?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Midnight Voyager posted:

No, she does it by having her own mod site, from what I can tell. Who's gonna take her down when it's her site?

https://baldursextendedworld.com/

Seriously, here it is.

The layout on this site is awful, elements underlap stuff that's already on there, so god forbid you want to see anything.

That being said, if she's doing it on her own site, short of lodging a cease and desist there's very little anyone can do to stop her.

It strikes me as profoundly lovely thing to do though, to take someones work, gently caress it, and try to present it as the original author's work.

edit: christ, do not read her forums

tithin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 31, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I seem to remember in the old megamod lp, Sir Billy Bob had a bit of work done to him, including making him literally invulnerable, even to console shenanigans

I can't recall if he's vanilla or modded now, I assume modded based on the portrait

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The bg novelisation is horrible in its own right. Charname is a monster.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

One of the things gnawing at me is the weird language that imoen's using, the quickest word sticks out at me, as does ending every other word in "a" like she's attempting bad italian

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I sincerely hope someone shows Roxanne this thread.

Cythereal posted:

Could be worse. If you romance Saerileth she pumps out something like sixteen kids in the epilogue.

Cross mod content between Saerileth and Sandrah?

because holy gently caress that's gonna be awful

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bg2 intro, Sandrah's gonna save all your gear, isn't she.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thunderclan posted:

Honestly at this point, I would be less then surprised if this mess ends with Sandrah taking over as the next Mystra...which would probably doom the world even more then it probably already is with a mortal Sandrah in it.

Before or after she fucks it?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ramc posted:

what is the point of this baby

Same point as Aerie's

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thunderclan posted:

Are we sure there is even going to BE a fight? Or is Sandrah just going to end things without any need for Vichan to do anything but stand in a corner and remember the brief moments when he was the focus of the adventure?

You joke, but Vichan has never been the centre of this adventure.

Don't forget we OPEN with discussion about an alluring priestess of Mystra looking for Vichan. First five minutes of the game and already supplanted.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I kinda figured sandrah's bhaal half sibling was sarevok tbqh

then they pivotted hard into eww territory

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

are you loving for real

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mitochondritom posted:

Is Roxanne going to edit all of Imoen's dialogue in BGII because I absolutely utterly loathe how she is written in this mod. If I have to to read "Besta" one more bhalldamn time.

Don't forget quickest.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Updates on my adventures in Infinity Engine mods and running across the wreckage of Roxanne everywhere I turn:

Roxanne's EET installer includes some things you can't turn off that are labeled as EET Fixpacks. They are not. They tweak poo poo for her mods. Dead serious, I ran across a warning about this.

Her installer doesn't include the original version of some mods she stole or altered on her own AT ALL, namely that Balduran's Tower mod. You can't pick a non-Roxanned mod from that installer.

It is by far the easiest and most convenient mod organizer to use for newcomers. The interface is excellent, and it easily lets you download and install any goddamn Baldur's Gate mod you can think of, even ones that just spring up new on the forum. The alternative, Project Infinity, is really clunky, has a terrible interface, and isn't remotely as newbie-friendly. This isn't like Vortex vs Mod Organizer 2, to use a Bethesda game example. Honestly, Project Infinity barely outranks just figuring it out yourself and running the Weidu installers. Too bad the really handy one is written by a jerk and forces bad edits on you!

...Oh, and I just realized: We have it confirmed that Imoen is NOT Sandrah's sister. So... US being her brother is still an uncomfortable option!

Wait x2: IT'S NOT US EITHER. We know our mother's name from later games. Alianna.

NGL, I have no idea how to spoiler tag in this LP, Sandrah keeps spoiling poo poo left and right.

I'm not sure I follow this. She wrote her own mod installer or something else?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Midnight Voyager posted:

Okay, modding Baldur's Gate is a little complicated because it's old as poo poo. Let me try to go through it.

First, Baldur's Gate mods. How do you install them? Portrait replacements and very simple overrides go into the override folder, easy. Anything else, you're using Weidu. Guy named Weimer came up with it. I can't really tell you how it works, just that it literally uses a command prompt, that's how old we're talking here. They pretty much install themselves with some y/n input from a user, but you need to pay close attention to what order you install things in, what's incompatible with what, etc. EE has made things slightly easier, I hear, but Weidu is still what people use.

Now, basic EET: There used to be this thing called Big World Project that would merge Baldur's Gate 1/2/TOB into the same game so that you could play them through without having to import saves across games. Also Baldur's Gate 1's engine worked differently, so it meant you could use 2's engine. This evolved into EET, Enhanced Edition Trilogy, for the new games. Same principle. Run everything on BG2, don't have to keep hopping from game to game between them. Even Siege of Dragonspear is started like a "new game" imported from BG1, I hear.

Now, modding for EET: It's not tremendously newbie-friendly as a process to figure out what's compatible with it, what's not, what order to install things in. You basically have to hope people have marked incompatibilities on their mods themselves. So the EET Install Tool (just like BWP before it) tries to help with that. It gives you a GUI and the ability to download and update mods inside the installer, complete with compatibility warnings and errors and all sorts of useful things. This is almost certainly what Vichan used to install EET, Sandrah, and all the other mods. It would definitely be the easiest way.

The process of keeping this installer updated was SUPER time-consuming and draining, however, so guess who took the whole thing over? The endless font of free time, Roxanne. Since Roxanne's controlling the installer, she controls what mods it shows. On the one hand, it's super up to date and very easy to use. I was helping some Russian guy edit the English translation of his new mod, and I saw it pop up on that installer. On the other hand, you can never tell what poo poo Roxanne's sneaked into your game. You can't look at a mod by title and know that it's Roxanne's version. You can't look at a set of required fixes and know that it's just some edits Roxanne made so her own poo poo works better on it, even if that poo poo isn't something you goddamn have installed. You are at her rear end in a top hat mercy.

The alternative is called Project Infinity, and I am fighting with it right now. The GUI is sparse and updates... badly. Like I have a mod installed, I click it, it takes many seconds too long to see if there's any mod metadata, it changes the mod name if so to match it... this happens every time I install a new mod. Checks won't stay checked if I install a new mod either. It is clunky at best. It tries to have the download-mods-from-anywhere feature that EET Install Tool does and it's more transparent about what the mods are and where they come from, but it's got very limited options. Manually adding them in is awkward. It is worse in every way except that it doesn't force Roxanne poo poo on you.

EDIT: and just to clarify further, EET and EET Install Tool are different things. EET just merges the games, EET Install Tool helps you run EET and mod it.

I used to be into BG modding back in the day, like a very very long time ago, so I'm familiar with weidu and even the big world project, but I haven't look in almost a decade.

As I recall, the Big World Project was extremely non user friendly, because it basically downloaded every single mod it could find, with absolutely no compatibility fixes.

I just hadn't heard of Enhance Edition Trilogy, and the fact that it's been usurped by someone who's sneaking in all this junk is kinda disheartening.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I told a BG fan friend of mine about this thread and about how bad the mod is

"Worse than shar'teel romance mod?"
"mate, it has crossover content with it"

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 16, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

None of the people who made this mod, or contributed, have ever genuinely been in love or understand what makes a relationship.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You know I was gonna crack a joke about her half demon half angel heritage, but considering ~her lineage~ is even worse than that.

loving hell tho.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Someone explain the wall?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm pretty sure the name twinkle for that blade is canon

I vaguely remember him having it in bg2

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vichan posted:

They're included at the bottom there for a reason, we can only hope that it won't link to Sandrah at some point.

We need to get this updated with all the new "connections" that have been made.

Poor poor poor drizz't

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vichan posted:

Forgot to screenshot this but the basilisks in this area have been changed to medusas for some reason.

Titties, probably.

Can't remember if the Medusa's in this have titties or not

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vichan posted:

Addendum 2 - Murderer! You will pay for this!

Before putting BG1 behind us there was one more thing I wanted to show you guys. We're going to have to rewind a bit for this.

Give the wrong answer to Brage and he attacks us, we follow him to the forest and cut him down.

This triggers a cutscene where Sandrah leaves the party, it lingers for quite a bit so she can get some free hits in.

:gonk:

Sandrah really is the Maryest of Sues. :allears:

Aren't... aren't all of those mage spells? Extremely high level mage spells? Something Sandrah explicitly isn't?

What is the point of this other than the mod author punishing you for making a choice that they wouldn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Never seen siege of dragonspear, so this should be news to me