Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Problem description: A secondary computer was working perfectly fine last week. Today, it will not power on, with light identical to this blinking if the PSU is connected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_iQ8PUlNKI

The thing is, it's not clear what that light actually "means." The AsROCK Killer Z370 manual is no help.

Attempted fixes: Cleared CMOS battery. Switched reset and power button headers to ensure it wasn't the power button being broken. Removed most components (video card, RAM...). No beeping noise when RAM is removed. Checked PSU wires were seated. I am about to try switching the PSU to see if that helps, but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas while I do so.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:

Motherboard: AsROCK Killer Z370 SLI/ac
CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 Coffee Lake
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850
GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS XTREME GeForce GTX 1060 6G REV 2.0
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, um:

1) Using another power supply (EVA Supersonic G5 Gold, 650) presents the same problem on this computer, plus the PSU's back green light blinks rapidly whereas it is usually solid.

2) Using this computer's power supply, the Seasonic Focus, successfully turns on another system.

So I guess it's not the PSU.

Is there some way to tell if it is the mobo or CPU, or do I just have to replace each one until this thing turns back on?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I totally parsed the thread title as user asrock z370 killer won't make posts on the forums. I apologize that this does not help you, but it amused me greatly. I wish you good luck on getting your chipset and or cpu to boot

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Voice of Labor posted:

I totally parsed the thread title as user asrock z370 killer won't make posts on the forums. I apologize that this does not help you, but it amused me greatly. I wish you good luck on getting your chipset and or cpu to boot

I enjoy your merriment, it gave me a chuckle.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Usually when lights are pulsating like that it means the motherboard has been damaged.