Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know, for how often shelard's toxic choices in romance are brought up choosing to save the person they want to boink and leaving the other squadmate to die is probably the most hosed up and least discussed.

On that note, I feel like the remaster achievements clearly weren't written for me, because there isn't one for leaving your blossoming romance to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I have finished all of the sidequests in the game on me1 and just started bring down the sky before as the last thing to do before I hit end game. I am still level 28 and with the rapidly scaling exp requirements to level I am beginning to doubt I will actually hit 30 before the end of the game. Which is weird that this is in doubt because I thought the express purpose they gave for the new leveling system was to be able to cap in one play through.

Also, I love how the reduced strain for using weapons outside your spec made the thorian even more comically trumped by Shepard whipping out a shotgun, regardless of skill, and just endlesy knocking all the creepers over with wrex and tali.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Woah, there hang on a minute. In bring down the sky there is a quest to go locate some missing scientists. The one in the southeastern corridor is dead inside her research shack with a voice recording saying the batarians blew her up by placing charges on the door. The door clearly blew outwards :tinfoil:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dramicus posted:

The building was pressurized, when the charges damaged the door, the atmosphere vented out bringing the door with it.

Nah, that's someone else's body. The asteroid was an inside job! Wake up sheeple!

Wolfsheim posted:

In my rose colored glasses he was chill turian batman, but now he seems more like a thin blue line punisher psychopath

I guess you really can't go back :sigh:

Yeah, coming back to the games after all this time makes the fact that you literally spend three whole games where Shepard has to constantly talk him out of extrajudicial murder stand out a lot more.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man I just started me2 and I'm already enjoying save editing legion in early. His interaction with csec customs was great.

Arrrthritis posted:

Near the end of ME1, and I did the Liara mission last.

The dialog was worth it, and all future ME1 playthroughs are going to be like that from now on.

"Hi there! I'm commander Shepard. Your moms dead. I killed her. Sorry about that. Also, I just obsoleted your life's work. Wanna go kill robots together?"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That's because Kyle ren was a bog normal emo kid from your high school days, now with super powers.

Kai leng was that kid sitting alone at lunch picking his nose and thinking about what an absolute power move it would be to break into the jock's house and eat their cereal. Yeah, that would show em!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Polaron posted:

It's this, if you care about civilian casualties. I had to reload multiple times because one civilian would get vaporized in the last seconds of the fight over and over again.

All you have to do is walk in, aggro everyone and then walk out to the entrance room. The cups won't chase you with the bad guys and you can gun the lit down without fearing collateral damage.

Fuzz posted:

For those struggling with 1's gameplay, I've found a hilariously fun way to play:

Go Vanguard, max Barrier ASAP.

As soon as you can do the Sol mission, do it. Go Shock Trooper. Max it.

Get a shotgun.

Set AI to use all powers.

Get Lift asap after the other poo poo.

Get Medium Armor when you can. Grab Adrenaline Burst if you want, fights should never actually last that long.

Run around bumrushing everything and blasting/meleeing it in the face while pure chaos erupts around you. It doesn't matter who you bring with you, just make sure between both of them you have Master Decryption and Master Electronics so you can hack All the Things. If you want maximum chaos, bring Kaidan and Liara/Wrex, speccing them for Lift and Push with the best cooldown stuff you can find. Duration doesn't matter, nothing will live long enough for it to matter. Give them fire and toxin ammo to add some variety to death effects. You should use cryo.

It's quite fun and bypasses any tedium of ever needing cover, caring about where your allies are/what they're doing, or basically even caring about tactics at all. Just pretend it's Doom 2 and you just picked up the Super Shotgun. :black101:

I tried an adept because I've never played one before this and boy howdy are you right that barrier is broken in all the right ways. It was a huge shock to me when I started 2 and died repeatedly because I was just wandering around out of cover out of habit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It was better than bring down the sky at least. I'm glad I never gave them money for that one because boy howdy was there not much bang for your buck there.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DourCricket posted:

They did say that, and put a whole new leveling system in to make it easier. They messed it up lol

Boy did they. The xp scaling just does not keep up with the requirements. 29-30 is 200,000 exp and you get something around 1k per quest and about a hundred per kill. It's just not happening.

TheGreySpectre posted:

I know in the original you generally didn't hit 60 in one playthrough you hit it on a 2nd or 3rd playthrough. I don't think it even allowed you to choose insanity difficulty on your first playthrough. You could do an early rendition of newgame+ though and use your old character. You could unlock one additional skill not normally allowed for you class on the second playthrough based on your achievements (ex playing a infiltrator trained in assault rifles).

Does the legendary version allow you to do this for me1? It was a feature I really liked.

You can still do this, and they in fact made it easier by lowering the number of casts required and letting manual casts from squadmates count. (If the ai casts the spell it doesn't count). I was able to get all the achievements on one run. The x kills with a weapon achievements are gone so I think those and a few skills are tied to the 5 missions with a party member achievements. I don't know if it was a bug or intentional, but those count side quests as well despite those being called assignments and the main quest being labeled missions.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I have no idea how I repeatedly missed this in the past, but Garrus totally still has his former team bodybagged downstairs in his ME2 recruitment mission.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The mako blows goats. Literally terrible and it's funny that the new one is "fixed". Makes me almost want to go back and see what the old one was like. Almost.

It was a lot floatier and bounced around a ton more. Honestly, it was a lot more fun than the new physics if you could handle the dissonance of the heavily armored troop carrier flying around like a balloon.

Of course, on the other hand the new physics never gave me a random death because I bumped the wrong pixel on the feros skyway and the mako took flight off of the highway.

Overall it's a land of contrasts.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

goblin week posted:

No units have a soul. If Shepard had a soul it’d leave his body upon death at beginning of ME2 and Cerberus wouldn’t be able to bring him back. Mass Effect takes place in a monist reality

The most expensive part of the Lazarus Project was figuring out how to get Shepard's new body to blast the hit song Baby Come Back on a medium the soul could hear it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I never really did that one before, but I'm trying to use cloak more on this run and I'm definitely going to be giving shotguns a try. It seems like a very nice synergy.

That was what I did my first run and it was fun as hell. Just stealth up to dudes, blast them away in one, point blank shot and run away giggling.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jenkins was a hero who sacrificed himself so that the space racist would take his spot and get blown up on virmire.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Is that a Cain on your back or are you just happy to see me?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

To clarify further, the text blurb is talking about how the ascension single handedly saved the council and just completely writes out it needing saved by the alliance.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh man I would have loved to let Liara die with her planet. Stupid Asari not coming to my summit.

Well yeah, but you also only got to kill one of the people on virmire and this would be a chance to finish the job....

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It was weird in 1 how you kill off a named krogan scientist on Saren's base without realizing it. Reminds me of how you can fight hostile ghouls with unique names in Fallout 4, since they used to be your neighbours.

Given how easy War Assets are to come by there's no way I'd let Balak off the hook a second time for his crimes.

The best way to handle that is to put off talking to wrex until after virmire so you can have him drop his "when was the last time you saw a krogan scientist" line at the worst possible moment

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Shirkelton posted:

Someone earlier suggested that Mass Effect is about exploring the galaxy and that's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Imagine Edmund Hilary reaching the summit of Everest and it being a pre-fab room with a bunch of 4x4 boxes spread about.

I mean, it's not the primary thrust of the game, but it has had a significant, if not terribly fun, presence in all 4 games. So yeah, I would agree with that dude that exploring the galaxy is a main feature of the series.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You know in your heart an upper left ending would have been Shepard saying a few lines about how this cycle is different, and the reapers say "gosh, you make a good point, we were so wrong" and they all fly away and everyone goes home for tea and medals.

Lower left would have been substantially the same thing in an angrier tone of voice.

Nah, upper left would be Shepard looking at the star kid, asking herself if he was really that dumb, and then picking control in order to command the reapers to destroy themselves.

It's like ptsd bot never watched people make their army shoot itself in RTS games or force people to ride death coasters in roller coaster tycoon.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are they a thing not in multiplayer? Because I don’t remember them and I do not care about something only in multiplayer

Omni tools literally turn into laser swords for your heavy attack.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

It is good, and I used it for my entire most recent playthrough, but for pure fun factor it's hard to beat smashing things with the krogan hammer.

Back on LE chat, it's crazy how much they changed the gear system between 1 and 2. One the one hand I like the idea of more customizable gear, but the always-on helmets suck (I've mitigated this by going with the headshot visor) and I kind of liked the idea of upgrading to different models of armor as I went along. Plus it's kind of odd that it goes "everybody can use every gun but only certain armor types" in ME1 to "everyone brings their own armor and there are no more types, but people can only use certain guns" in ME2.

In many ways I think Andromeda got the gear system pretty much right - upgradeable pieces with distinct playstyle-based stat bonuses, helmet toggle, and highly-customizable color scheme options.

Yeah, but in me1 practice your companions could only really use the 1 or 2 guns they were skilled in given how weapon skills were so strong and expected. Kaden and Liara defaulting to assault rifles was cool and it's kind of sad they didn't really let you do caster with a rifle for most of 2.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

I do find it funny how if you romanced the Virmire survivor in 1, then went for another romance in 2, you can explicitly call out Horizon as the reason you left them.

The best part is that kaiden even says he finally started seeing someone else before you showed up alive and traumatized him, so his rear end left you first.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

bobjr posted:

It is kind of funny with ME2 Insanity the main bad guy of the mission who would normally have shields/armor isn't the big threat at all, it's usually some Varren who if you don't take out will knock you out of cover where you get shot to death right away.

Nah the big bad I'd the increasingly numerous infinite enemy spawn sections where you have to slowly crawl forward, diving through bullets for cover once you've whittled enemy forces enough.

All the extra health bars turn those into giant slogs where God help you if you die at the end and have to slowly grind it out a second time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Levantine posted:

No, that's just it: he wasn't wrong. Everything he was doing worked perfectly except he couldn't control the end result. David did exactly what Archer set him up to do. David didn't malfunction, he used his immense new powers to make things "quiet". Archer doing what he was doing was incredibly unethical but the poo poo worked. In the final sequence when you're viewing events as they happened, David clearly is able to communicate with the Geth. It's loving weird and dumb, yeah, but it's what happened.

What I'm saying is I have no idea what Bioware was thinking when they wrote it.

Then why did it go wrong?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Animal Friend posted:

so glad I bought ME for the 3rd time to experience it in this level of fidelity.

Ah, that's the Mas effect 1 I know and love.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Their goal was to find a way to communicate with and control the Geth - they accomplished that.

The problem is, the person they used and abused for this purpose became panicked and stressed to a horrifying breaking point, screaming about overwhelming sensory overload. In this very unstable mental state, he could only think of, and work toward, one thought: "QUIET PLEASE MAKE IT STOP"

However, as stated, they did in fact find a way to communicate with and control the Geth. It was not an ethical or in any way anything-but-horrifying method, but they did find one. The Geth/Mechs/etc going nuts and killing everyone was not a failure of the system; it was a scared-out-of-his-mind individual trying to make the bad things stop using the functional system he had been plugged into.

edit: Crap, I meant to edit this into my previous post at the bottom of the last page, not make this a separate post. Sorry for the double-post.

"The theme park filled with dinosaurs worked, it's just a bunch of the monsters (that weren't real dinosaurs) got loose and ate everyone so the army had to come in and blow the whole place up. It wasn't a failure of the system, just the people involved"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Levantine posted:

I mean, my guess was that while David was largely in control, he was using that control to try to shut out the "noise". But the idea of using a person to interface with a VI to talk to the Geth totally worked. Archer wrongly predicted he could control David which was silly

I mean, there was the slight issue where it drove the human insane resulting in a not ai killing everyone. That would kind of qualify as "not working" to most people.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The overhead space battle cut scene concludes and the camera pans down to the ground team. As it slides behind their eyes you hear the PC speak to their squad:

"Geth do not *intentionally* infiltrate"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

In me2? More like Kramers into a room and cries because literally every enemy has shields and the only reason she got to cast things at all is because I was working on the biotic combo achievement.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I always read it as one of the writers had a wife that read one too many* mommy blogs during pregnancy.

*any of them. God those things are full of cancerous trash levels of bad ideas.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, these endings are massive upgrades to the ones ME3 shipped with and sparked all the outrage in the first place. I kinda feel like everyone who didn't experience them at the time ought to look 'em up after they beat the game, just so they can appreciate it.

I actually prefer the old endings because the new ones are still bad, but it completely wrecked the suicide charge(aka the one bit of the ending that actually worked and was in fact, pretty cool).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Meh I don’t like the sucidal charge with how the ending is constructed. If it was actually fighting the reapers sure but a suicide charge leading into a tallky ending feels hollow

Yeah, but I put that as a fault of the starched poo poo. "OK, we finished the macguffin we spent the entire game recruiting people to build, but the enemy found us. It's ride or die to push the button, everyone charge!" Is a pretty solid note. If the game ended with Shepard death stumbling to the button and whapping it before succumbing alongside Anderson without any of the star child poo poo it would have worked fine.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Android Blues posted:

The setting totally has FTL without the mass relays - it's occasionally a plot point, and the codex talks about it in every game. The Reapers use FTL to travel to the Milky Way after Shepard prevents them from teleporting to the Citadel in ME1.

The read that like, when there was the goofy cinematic where the space magic crackles through the cosmos and then the relays blow up, and then it shows Shepard's friends watching in wonder before cutting to an old man fondly telling his grandchild about how Shepard saved the galaxy, that secretly meant everyone died and Garrus starved to death (in a setting with advanced hydroponics and wrist-mounted chemical fabricators) is the definition of perverse. It was people being mad at the crummy ending and kicking the sides of it in spite.

As people pointed out at the time, it's like watching the ewoks dance at the end of Return of the Jedi and pushing your glasses up on your nose before going, "uh, actually, the debris from the Death Star falling into their magnetosphere would cause a calamity of immense proportions, these furry little guys are toast!".

Yeah, but the ewoks had their god with them to protect them :colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I don't really get why everyone keeps saying me2 is divorced from the reapers/the overarching series plot. It's main plot is literally that the reapers are using cyberzombie monsters to puree all of humanity into a reaper smack dab in the middle of citadel space. The literal entirety of the game's plot is about figuring out what the reapers are up to and sticking it to them before their plan B finishes. Yes, there is a lot of smaller scale personal stuff in there because it's framed as a heist movie where you assemble the best badasses in the galaxy to take on the collectors(because they are working for the reapers), but the big checkpoint missions that tell the primary story are all about stopping the reapers and their agents.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Man...ME2 is a loving slog. Way way way too much combat.

There are so many unmarked infinite spawning sections that I don't remember and they are such a slog.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Me2 Renegade interrupts are almost always amusing kills with cheesy one liners and they've got great reactions from surviving mooks to boot. I drat near always take them even on a paragon run, theres plenty of points.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

Bringing Legion when recruiting Tali is :kiss:

I hacked them in early and there are so many good moments that you never see. Kal reagar going "oh poo poo! Behind you!" was great.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This went on for an absurd length of time. I had to run out and get a picture of the ridiculous pile of thermal clips that accumulated.

I had the same feeling of fights turning into a slog in 2; after doing two play throughs of 1 and 2, I was kind of shocked to find that I actually prefer the overall gameplay in 1 now, at least in terms of replay value. The actual shooting and cover mechanics in 2 are tighter, but they stripped away so much of everything else that it's less interesting in the long run. With MELE1 combat getting a massive improvement which brought it up to the level of "okay-ish" I ended up enjoying that more.

Oh God, I remember that room. I actually one shot it this time, but I remember I used to just blast a dude or two and loving book it for the button before too many dudes could spawn in.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fai Dan is great. Easily the dumbest character in mass effect:
"It wants me to stop you, but I'll kill myself instead!"
*Shepard awkwardly looks around at all the safely neutralized colonists and raises a finger opening their mouth to speak*
"Noble. Sacrifice!"
*shoots self*

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's kind of impressive that "the murder/suicide on noveria" has provoked a "which one?" reaponse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

why would Anoleis murder Parasini and then immediately commit suicide

Never run the scene, but presumably he kills himself because he knows they're on to him and he's boned, and he kills her because he's a petty vengeful rear end in a top hat who wants to take her down with him.