Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Problem description: 10 year old laptop model, in notably otherwise good condition has stopped running it's cooling fan. Owner mentioned it was running badly and noticed heat and lack of airflow. Checked fan on another 3pin connector and adhoc USB direct wiring and confirmed fan is functional. Checked 3pin on laptop with another spare fan, no joy on operation. Checked 3pin connector, reading of 0.08v, undetectable amperage. I can see no corrosion or cracks in the solder on the side of the motherboard open to me. Contacted manufacturer, reply simply stated laptop was far too old and they would not be able to fix as they carry no parts or otherwise for it. Mostly throwing this at HTS to see if anyone's dealt with similar and if there's anything else I can do before splitting it to do potential soldering work on the interior face, as I may pass on to a different tech due to me lacking workspace and equipment I'd feel confident using.

--

System specs: Clevo W25AES/Sager NP3260

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

E: Have done the disassembly necessary to look at connectors on the other board side. No corrosion or damage seen. Ruling out this particular I'm at a loss for fixable things that could cause this fan connector to die.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

On a lark I decided to attempt to reset solder on the volt feed side on the bottom face of the board. Had a gut feeling, was less shiny. Fan now works... ish. Seems to sit at really low RPMs, but does spin up if the temps go too high. I'm not considering this finished quite yet, but I'll update and close the thread if I manage to fix completely.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Clevo fans are pretty aggressive generally. Don't know about yours specifically but did you hear any noises out of the ordinary?

One pin should deffo get a solid voltage 3 or 5v usually. One should be ground, and one should be variable voltage like .200 or 1.5 or something.