Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Mourinho come home and fulfil Bobby's wish and manage newcastle. we'll love you despite being a bit poo poo because it can't be any shitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

can you imagine investing in a football SPAC and then learning that they were going to buy Arsenal

:chloe:

you can back out of a spac if you dont like where its going. actually its better to do this because you dont then lose money as you do when your share are diluted if you stay on. pm me for more info

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jose posted:

Mourinho come home and fulfil Bobby's wish and manage newcastle. we'll love you despite being a bit poo poo because it can't be any shitter

Mourinho would be a great Newcastle manager. He fits right in with the "what the almighty gently caress?" culture the team has.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Breath Ray posted:

you can back out of a spac if you dont like where its going. actually its better to do this because you dont then lose money as you do when your share are diluted if you stay on. pm me for more info

i know how a SPAC works, let a man make a joke

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

If you’re looking for spacs there’s plenty in this thread, hell there’s one making this very post right now!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i know how a SPAC works, let a man make a joke

ready when you are

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Stupid Proposal Against Championsleague

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Lol Jose's last 6 jobs

Chelsea
Inter
Real
Chelsea
United
Spurs

The first letters spell Circus

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Lol Jose's last 6 jobs

Chelsea
Inter
Real
Chelsea
United
Spurs

Ah noted club United Manchester

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Sottenham Hottpur

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Ah noted club United Manchester

:jerkbag:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CIRCMT just rolls right off the tongue

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

CyberPingu posted:

Lol Jose's last 6 jobs

Chelsea
Inter
Real
Chelsea
United
Spurs

Stfu

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

His last 6 teams don't need to spell CIRCUS for him to be a clown but he is a clown

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Southampton
Tottenham
Fulham
United

this is fun!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
bruce has unsurprisingly said he wants to sign willock permanently and there are rumours of him costing around £20m. considering his goals probably stopped us going down thats a decent price

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1385647755532673027?s=20

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I assume this means they're going to try and offload one of Jomez or Matip, but I can't see who'd be willing to pay for them in the current environment

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

tarbrush posted:

I assume this means they're going to try and offload one of Jomez or Matip, but I can't see who'd be willing to pay for them in the current environment

Kabak is also going back as he's only on loan

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

CyberPingu posted:

Kabak is also going back as he's only on loan

I get the feeling they'll keep him. Keep hearing rumours that they're squeezing Schalke on the fee, and he's young and seemingly injury resistant

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tarbrush posted:

imo we'd be insane to offload any defenders after the cursed season we just had. VVD, Jomez, Matip, Kabak, and Konate all in the team would be fine with me, especially given fixture congestion and injuries

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Well fixture congestion won't be an issue next year as we won't have European football to worry about

But yeah I imagine Matip goes into squad rotation until he can not stay permacrocked

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

vyelkin posted:

imo we'd be insane to offload any defenders after the cursed season we just had. VVD, Jomez, Matip, Kabak, and Konate all in the team would be fine with me, especially given fixture congestion and injuries

I guess. It seems un-FSG like though, particularly when they have to replace Winjaldum and possibly swap out one of the front three too

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56890624

Ignore the first part of the headline. Apparently Daniel Ek wants to buy Arsenal. Given that Arsenal's valuation is around 2bn, I have to imagine it would take a lot more than that to get KSE to sell. Feels like a non-starter and I imagine Ek would be the face of a consortium of venture capitalists and rich tech guys since he doesn't have the liquidity to just buy the club. Not saying Arsenal are in some great position, but I can't envision a scenario where Ek somehow manages to pry the club away from Kroenke that leaves Arsenal in a better position than the one they're currently in.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

tarbrush posted:

I guess. It seems un-FSG like though, particularly when they have to replace Winjaldum and possibly swap out one of the front three too

I think Matip will get sold. He's older and he's injured a lot. They'll have to keep a hold of Gomez for homegrown requirements (which is the only reason why I can think AOC has not been sold off yet either).

I think Davies has to get flipped on to Celtic or some Championship club at this point. There's no reason for him to be here if he has not played yet.

The value of Phillips is probably as high as it will ever get. I'm sure FSG will sell him.

Akileese posted:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56890624

Ignore the first part of the headline. Apparently Daniel Ek wants to buy Arsenal. Given that Arsenal's valuation is around 2bn, I have to imagine it would take a lot more than that to get KSE to sell. Feels like a non-starter and I imagine Ek would be the face of a consortium of venture capitalists and rich tech guys since he doesn't have the liquidity to just buy the club. Not saying Arsenal are in some great position, but I can't envision a scenario where Ek somehow manages to pry the club away from Kroenke that leaves Arsenal in a better position than the one they're currently in.

Barring the kind of economic collapse that no one sane actually wants, all of the big PL clubs are going to be at such high valuations that there are no realistic outside purchasers. Even if there were multiple people who could pool a large enough amount of money to spend, any man or woman with those kinds of means would want control and you would have an extra power-sharing nightmare on that side as well. This is a scale of money beyond the capabilities of crowd-sourcing or any financing vehicle available to your average fans or even any large supporter groups.

I guess you could pray for a forced taking of the clubs by the government and redistribution of them to some fan-controlled structure, but does anyone have the actual appetite for that? Bringing the whole 50+1 scheme to England is pipe dream stuff right now. From what I read, that structure only manages to stay alive in Germany because of historical roots and even the Red Bulls of the world can find ways to circumvent that.

I don't really know any ways to fix the sport. Various bubbles really need to pop.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 26, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

weird how spotify apparently doesn’t make enough money to pay artists but daniel ek still got rich enough to buy a football club

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think Matip will get sold. He's older and he's injured a lot. They'll have to keep a hold of Gomez for homegrown requirements (which is the only reason why I can think AOC has not been sold off yet either).

I think Davies has to get flipped on to Celtic or some Championship club at this point. There's no reason for him to be here if he has not played yet.

The value of Phillips is probably as high as it will ever get. I'm sure FSG will sell him.

Agreed. I just don't see who's going to pony up for Matip, he's on decent wages

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

weird how spotify apparently doesn’t make enough money to pay artists but daniel ek still got rich enough to buy a football club

Joe Rogan gets more money from Spotify than Lionel Messi gets from Barcelona.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Agreed. I just don't see who's going to pony up for Matip, he's on decent wages

I just checked. He's on contract until 2024, which is longer than I remembered.

Who knows? Liverpool might end up subsidizing part of his wages while he gets loaned out or something like that.

And if Liverpool put a low enough fee on him, I think some clubs will bite. He's a good player and if you're not wrestling with some insane fixture schedule, he's definitely worthwhile. I'm sure his reputation in Germany is still good.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Joe Rogan gets more money from Spotify than Lionel Messi gets from Barcelona.

Didn’t even realise they had a team

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what I read, that structure only manages to stay alive in Germany because of historical roots and even the Red Bulls of the world can find ways to circumvent that.

they got around it by buying the playing right from a 5th tier german club and became the members with the voting power

you can't really circumvent that if you're trying to buyout an already established club

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Kalvin Phillips marked Bruno Fernandes out of the match completely & should start for England at the Euros

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Karl Sharks posted:

they got around it by buying the playing right from a 5th tier german club and became the members with the voting power

you can't really circumvent that if you're trying to buyout an already established club

In any event, Red Bull had to do what they did because laws were already in place about how clubs were structured and owned. You’re talking about a country where almost all clubs had to be run as not-for-profit organizations until 1998. The Bundesliga was only formed in 1963 and Germany was late to professionalizing football as a whole.

The Guardian has a whole piece about why the model might not carry to other countries because of the historical difference. It’d basically have to be a legally forced sale and lots of organizational restructuring for the clubs involved.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...er-league-clubs

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

African AIDS cum posted:

Kalvin Phillips marked Bruno Fernandes out of the match completely & should start for England at the Euros

This was funny and United are absolute garbage without Fernandez involved lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fernandes has been garbage for months

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

When was his last penalty?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

When was his last penalty?

The Man City game in early March. It’s his only goal in 9 weeks with one assist in there as well

E: I guess he had a goal in the Europa league too

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 27, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Seems like a bit of a one trick pony.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I dunno that dummy against Burnley last week was fully sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

That should have counted as an assist