Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Today, we're going to remove all roles. Only Crew and Gnosia, nothing else. I bump the number of Gnosia up to 4 to compensate a bit, but I also make my role random in the interest of fairness.

Looks like Cassidy is a Gnosia today, along with their allies Remnan, Otome, and the human ice cube.

Music: Suspicion

Trust me, without the roles, things are a lot more streamlined. More accusations flying around, and more of a reliance on easy targets like Raqio. As usual, I started off trying to avoid lying.

And, well... Tonight, I think we should eliminate Shigemichi.

Well, if it's in the name of Gnosia friendship, how can I refuse...?

I feel like a lot of my games end up with me allying with Kukrushka and Otome. Kukrushka is an incredibly loyal and stubborn ally to have, and Otome...well, how can I not be friends with Otome?

Without any roles to put pressure on people, things end up being more chaotic, naturally.

Funnily enough, Otome and Setsu got the focus on the second debate, yet it's Chipie who goes to the fridge.

As usual, my plan if there's nothing better to do is to take out Yuriko if she's not on my team.

The main problem with this set-up is there's no real narrative popping up here, at least from the Gnosia perspective. It's just a bunch of people accusing each other with little information to go off of. I probably should've saved this until everyone had more skills to work with, Cassidy included.

Anyway, good to know Remnan is the type to throw a Gnosia ally under the bus. He acts like a wallflower, but he uses that to hide how shrewd he can be.

Anyway, Stella's generally a medium-level threat, so she makes the most sense with the other major targets gone.

Anyway, I wanted to take out Comet because she's starting to get aggressive, but I also prefer to go with my Gnosia allies for recommendations if they don't suggest something stupid. I generally find the AI Gnosia suggestions to be pretty drat solid. Perhaps those characters notice things that Cassidy doesn't...?

Anyway, it was dumb of me to want to eliminate Comet, as she seems fixated on Gina.

She does try to go after us, but as usual our BFFs Kukrushka and Otome come to Cassidy's aid.

The nice thing about no roles is that anyone can take charge if they really want to, and for once Cassidy's starting to control the flow of this game.

No argument from me!

Otome starts off getting a good bit of attention...

...but all the suspicion on Gina catches up to her in the end.

And would you look at that, we've already won!

Music: Shooting Stars Go Away

It's a happy ending! All the Gnosia are happy!

I took out Yuriko at the right time. Otherwise, we know now why Comet was going so hard on Otome.

Notably, Cassidy did not get caught lying once! They even had some rounds accusing humans and defending Otome, but they got away without a single lie caught. As close to a clean sweep as a team with Raqio can have!

Let's go back to default, but this time let's go back to playing as a Bug. There's actually some incentive for doing so...

We start off fake-claiming Engineer so we can have some fun. Setsu and Sha-Ming were on Guard Duty. I don't know how the hell those two managed to share a ship by themselves without Setsu murdering him again.

Let's get some new Small Talk!

Music: Back Street Cats

OMG food? I like, literally love food... I wish the Gnosia could like, just get rid of my fat... right?
Food... I really want to eat some raw fish...
So, you're a foodie, are you? Supplements are sufficient for both essential nutrients and appetite control, aren't they?

Raqio's response is incredibly Raqio.

Jonas got a bit of suspicion and ends up being the easy target here.

The first time you can choose to play as a Bug, you get an event with Yuriko.

...? Yuriko doesn't say anything further...

Music: Eyes on You

Compared to the stars, humankind is so insignificant. However... even the stars themselves are not so special.

It is simply a matter of perception... The universe is within mankind. And so, it is all up to you.

You told her that you want to change yourself.
Hm... alright. I shall help you.

For an unstable existence such as yours... It could be changed and reformed infinitely. Like this...

Aaaaand this is how we can respec our stats. We just need to play as a Bug and visit Yuriko during the night.

I decide to nerf Intuition for now since it's really an all-or-nothing skill, and borrow a couple points from our already-high Stealth to buff up Logic and Charm a bit.

That foolishness... heh. It is almost something to be envied.

Yuriko's not all-bad. Well, probably not, anyway.

Comet's always a massive threat when you're an enemy. It doesn't matter to us whether she's Gnosia or not, the risk of her being human is too great.

This is fine too. Take out the people who tend not to get targeted, leave the big targets around to get frozen instead of us.

Reports:

Cassidy (B.E) - Comet is Gnosia
Gina (?.E) - Otome is Human
Stella (?.E) - Yuriko is Gnosia

Well, then. Yuriko may or may not be a Gnosia.

So naturally Yuriko goes after Gina, not the Engineer claim that said she was Gnosia, and neither Cassidy nor their Gnosia claim of Comet.

This would be dumb from almost anyone else, but this is Yuriko, so I think she simply does not give a poo poo.

Since we've been bumping Performance up, we can now use Exaggerate, which basically increases the amount of suspicion/defense someone gets from your words. It's really hard to tell how effective a lot of these skills are since I don't think there's hard numbers out there right now on any of them. A lot of this stuff is still unknown.

You joined in, talking about your first love.
The mental function of the mating instinct has long been understood. IS there something about it you don't understand?

You can contribute in Small Talk as well, throwing out a vague line. Raqio, of course, gives a perfectly Raqio-esque response which works fittingly well for Shigemichi.

Cassidy's becoming a decent-sized target, but fortunately our plan worked, and Comet gets taken out.

Raising your stats makes a big difference in this game. The beginning may have been rough, but now we can actually execute plans effectively and stick around without getting killed or frozen.

SQ claims Otome is lying. This is the fun thing about Bug, you don't have to care who's lying about what, all this information is only useful in as far as causing chaos and gaining allies.

Let's throw a curveball and claim Stella is Human. We don't want to out too many Gnosia early on since we could get logicked out on bad luck, and it might actually take a bit of heat off us if we do something as outlandish as claim Stella's the AC Follower. Plus we might get really lucky and the Gnosia might try to kill her, making her look like a Bug.

Of course, the latter is too unlikely to happen, and the Gnosia go with the other easy target in Setsu instead.

Reports:

Cassidy (B.E) - Stella is Human
Gina (?.E) - Kukrushka is Gnosia
Stella (?.E) - Chipie is Human

This is a reckless move as a Bug, as this means if Cassidy was the true Engineer, Stella must be the AC Follower and Gina must be either Gnosia or the Bug. There's several ways to get proven wrong, though fortunately there's no guarantee the Doctor's still around even if they do claim at this point.

Anyway, if you do believe Cassidy, that means that Stella is not really a threat while Gina is a huge one regardless of what side she's on, so naturally she's the target today.

Wait what?! Why?

Music: In the Unknown Ship

I think we should get rid of the Bug before the Gnosia. I feel that might be the safer route...

*SQUEAK!* Really?

Well, it was a nice try.

Remnan is such a killjoy, and also doesn't trust us in the least.

It doesn't matter, because Gina's getting iced.

Following her suggestion, we can chat up Otome about it.

Music: A Ray of Hope

I, um... Did I say something wrong?

I mean, as the Bug, we should be telling Otome that no, her plan to take the Bug out is a terrible idea and she's a fool for even suggesting it.

But even if we're going to destroy the universe, I can't bring myself to be mean to Otome. Besides, she's right.

Thank you, Cassidy. I thought really hard about it! I just sort of thought that... Maybe simply voting for suspicious-looking people wasn't good enough...

So I have to take the goldfish out before I get in to swim. It's a shame to let them go to waste like that...

You asked Otome what she means.

Apparently, if a Bug is allowed to survive, the universe will get destroyed. So I think we should take care of the Bugs before the Gnosia. Even if someone looks suspicious, sometimes it's better not to get rid of them right away. I think this kind of order is important for the vote.

You and me both. We have a universe to destroy, after all!

Otome has a gentle heart, and a solid logical mind.

Not sure how effective this is, but it doesn't seem to pop up much.

Anyway, let's do Otome a solid and say she's human.

Not bad, Chipie can be a solid all-rounder and sometimes ends up a threat.

Reports

Cassidy (B.E) - Otome is Human
Stella (?.E) - Otome is Gnosia

Oh, well then...

Also we have two Doctor claims. On Day 4.

Though we really learn nothing from this other than the humans are probably screwed.

Kukrushka makes a push for Raqio, but in the end everyone decides to take out Stella. At least people seem to think we're the true Engineer, or potentially the AC Follower in the Gnosia's case!

I still don't want to get too reckless here, so I opt for SQ being Human.

Aaaaand a good thing I did!

Reports:

Yuriko (?.D) - Stella was Gnosia
Raqio (?.D) - Stella was Human

Cassidy (B.E) - SQ was Human

This day becomes a showdown between Yuriko and Raqio. Otome and Cassidy are solidly in Raqio's camp.

Also Remnan is an observant jerk.

It doesn't matter, as Cassidy avoids the fridge yet again. Remnan is the only person that seems to doubt them at this point, so we should be good.

And of course, Raqio is Raqio.

And with that, the Gnosia Cassidy wins! Bug Power!

Turns out the Gnosia were Kukrushka, Otome, and Yuriko. Gina was the AC Follower and just happened to accidentally nail Kukrushka, not that it mattered.

Understandably, Remnan caught us lying early on, which is why he doubted us the entire game. So did Comet, but that's expected and why I tried to take her out early on.

Otherwise, only SQ caught us, though Gina did a pretty terrible job in general, which is probably why she got caught. She's really not cut out for all this lying stuff...

It doesn't matter though, as the universe is destroyed! We're 2/2 in destroying the universe! Go Cassidy, the Cosmic Terror!

It's fun messing around with various roles, but let's settle back down a bit. Back to a regular set-up, this time as plain-old Crew. Let's see if we can sus out the Gnosia and Bug using only our skills!

Pretty standard stuff so far. Chipie and Shigemichi are Guard Duty, and weirdly no Engineer or Doctor claims. Otherwise, the theme of this first day is "Dogpile on SQ".

Anyway, we have another night event to check out. This time it's with...

Music: Remind Me

You asked Gina whom she was speaking to.

To be fair, this is pretty much how any conversation with Gina goes.

You replied that you honestly don't know how things will turn out.
Yes... I have no idea either.

Um... alright then. Yeah, that certainly was a conversation with Gina.

We lose Chipie this time.

We finally get Engineer claims in Raqio, Comet, and Otome, but the real Engineer still could've been SQ. Otherwise, there's a bit of suspicion around Jonas, you know, just the usual-

Well I mean, honestly, hell yeah! You just kinda go *POOF!* and you're gone, right? That's super scary!
Yes... But don't be too afraid. The Gnosia eliminate humans. But it isn't because they hate us.

Hm, that's interesting. And do you have any evidence to back this up?

Well, that certainly took a turn.

Music: Voting

I'm fine with this. Thank you... Please, proceed as usual.

The results are unsurprising.

We follow up with Gina before she's frozen, because there's one big question on Cassidy's mind right now.

You asked Gina why she came forward as Gnosia.

Music: Remind Me

Eliminating people causes me no pain. Because that's what I'm supposed to do.

Lying and deceiving people to get what I'm after... I can't do that. So I'm fine with this.

Even after becoming Gnosia, some people just can't escape their true natures.

And in Gina's case, she simply doesn't like playing the game.

In an already-eventful day, we have a chance to chat with Raqio, since they've managed to last two whole days without getting iced.

Music: In the Unknown Ship

I had expected you to behave a bit more logically. I'm somewhat embarrassed to have even held such high expectations.

Let me ask you a question. A sort of riddle, if you will. If you get the answer, I'll accept you as, well... acceptable. Here it goes.

This is an easy one if you notice the information you're given, or rather, the information you're not given.

Considering the possibility that the true Engineer may not even be around anymore, there's no guarantee that Gina is definitely Gnosia.

Even if you mess the question up, you'll still get these wonderful skills. This lets you point out characters who must be Definite Enemy or Human based on the logic using the information available to everyone. Not very useful if you're Gnosia, but fantastic if the enemy makes a big mistake.

The way it works is that the abilities will show up only when someone can be called out as Definite Human/Enemy, but you have to specify who this applies to, which isn't always that obvious. We'll probably see it in action once we get our Logic high enough to access these skills.

Too bad you weren't smart enough to not get eliminated.

Reports:

Otome (?.E) - Raqio was Human
Comet (Enemy.E) - Otome is Gnosia

Very interesting information there. First, did Otome discover the Bug? Second, we caught Comet in a lie, so she's definitely an Enemy role, though not necessarily Gnosia. In fact, it's still perfectly possible Otome is Gnosia, since Comet may simply not know Otome's role, and Otome may have cleverly investigated the Gnosia's target.

So right now, Comet's definitely suspicious, and Otome is probably good but she could definitely still not be.

Remnan's the sole Doctor claim. The Gina report is a freebie, obviously, so we've got nothing to work with here.

It seems Cassidy's not the only one to catch Comet lying, while Yuriko has decided we're her next target.

Also, more small talk lines.

We're starting to get a little heat, but Comet's still an easy target.

Sha-Ming's not really trusting us.

Eh.

Reports:

Otome (?.E) - Kukrushka is Human

It seems we're getting some focus this time.

Naturally we go after Yuriko, then shift to Stella since Yuriko seems to have more support.

Unfortunately, we get a pretty solid majority for the fridge, though at least Otome has our back.

Turns out Raqio was the Bug after all, and Otome the true Engineer. Comet was indeed Gnosia, and the remaining Gnosia was Yuriko. It's tough to say how this game would go, as Yuriko can run circles around most of the crew. I think Setsu might have a chance, and it depends on how Otome fares as Engineer, but Yuriko's fearsome for a reason. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

And yeah, Comet's still a bad liar.

Next time, more of the usual shenanigans! Even I don't know what weird things we'll learn about our weird shipmates next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Mega64 posted:

It's fun messing around with various roles, but let's settle back down a bit. Back to a regular set-up, this time as plain-old Crew. Let's see if we can sus out the Gnosia and Bug using only our skills!

I know it's easy to spell it like this given how ridiculously common that particular word has become, but it's actually spelled "suss" in this context. The more you know!

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
Hilariously, I think I recall in my own playthrough the loop where Otome did the "guys I'm worried about the Bug" event for the Don't Vote skill unlock... she was the Bug.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Play around with a Doctor but no Engineers. And no Bug.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Huh. I didn't expect to relate to Gina, but here we are. I stopped playing Werewolf because I hated lying. I think I actually got scared because I discovered that I was kinda good at it, but I don't want to be that kind of person.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So Gina's event implies that Gnosians have some sort of verbal connection with an "other". Direct communication with "Gnos"?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
That certainly rocketed Gina up the ranks in terms of sympathetic characters.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, I feel like I'm a cross between Shigemichi and Gina; bad at reading people and not fond of the game in general.

My first time playing Mafia was not a fun experience for me, and I've basically avoided it like the plague ever since. I'll happily spectate other people's games, and I'm okay with stuff like the Battlestar Galactica board game, but actual Mafia is something I have no desire to subject myself to ever again, and is the main reason why I haven't joined the list of goons who have picked up Gnosia because of this LP.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Gina is one of my faves; I find her events humanizing. Gets the point across that this stuff really isn't a game for her.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I can see one significant use for Definite Enemy even as a Gnosia- if you figure out who the Bug is but are having a hard time getting them voted out, pinning them with a Definite Enemy is a nearly guaranteed kill.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I think Definite Human is a pretty big likability/trust boost, too, so you can use it for some free cover if it would happen anyway (ie Raqio is still in the game), to bolster the arguments of someone you've already duped, or if it's someone you're about to night kill anyway.

It's probably not a good idea to Definite Enemy your teammates unless you're really desperate to throw someone under the bus, though. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it would go over with regards to getting people off your back.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ryanbomber posted:

I think Definite Human is a pretty big likability/trust boost, too, so you can use it for some free cover if it would happen anyway (ie Raqio is still in the game), to bolster the arguments of someone you've already duped, or if it's someone you're about to night kill anyway.

It's probably not a good idea to Definite Enemy your teammates unless you're really desperate to throw someone under the bus, though. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it would go over with regards to getting people off your back.

I mean, it's a decent plan in real life Mafia-type games too, since if you can logic it out then someone else probably can too, and beating them to the punch makes you seem more trustworthy.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ah yes there is always a Gina for these types of games the "i don't like this game i don't want to lie to my friends" type of person :v:

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
This new information about Gina puts her interactions with Cassidy in loop 2 under a new light. She appreciated Cassidy trusting her so often then hesitated at the end of the loop before lying to them (followed by Cassidy spotting the lie when it was too late to do anything about it).

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Gina is fine with killing people but not lying about it.

Do the non Setsu characters realize they're in a loop?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Gina is fine with killing people but not lying about it.

She said herself she doesn't think Gnosia actually kill people.

All we know is that they disappear.

I'm pretty sure the connection to Gnos warps their perception of the eliminations anyway - when Setsu was gnosa they were fully in control of their faculties and in the same mindset as ever, just with an irresistable urge to make people vanish.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't remember there being anything stated in the LP one way or the other but I do suspect that Yuriko remembers events that occurred outside of the current loop. Yuriko's already displayed the ability to dispel Cassidy's plot armor along with the newly displayed ability to reset Cassidy's allocation of stat points when the circumstances are right so her retaining knowledge of past loops wouldn't be a stretch.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Nobody but Cassidy and Setsu, and Yuriko is Yuriko :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't think Yuriko is that omniscient, otherwise reallocating your stats gives her ample ammo to pin you down as the Bug for that loop, and good luck surviving that when she has guaranteed evidence against you.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 9, 2021

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Araxxor posted:

I don't think Yuriko is that omniscient, otherwise reallocating your stats gives her ample ammo to pin you down as the Bug for that loop, and good luck surviving that when she has guaranteed evidence against you.

Yeah, that's true. That is, I now get the feeling that Yuriko isn't omniscient and that her being able to reassign your stats only reaffirms in her mind that something about you is unusual as opposed to it being a sign that you're the Bug. Looking at loop 23 again, Yuriko never really did put any suspicion on Cassidy and always voted for someone else even after Cassidy dropped by to get their personality reset.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It could also be that Yuriko knows, but doesn't care. She seems the sort of be okay with the universe getting destroyed if it's interesting enough.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
My experience with Don't Vote is that it's a really effective skill at what it does and can even get people to hold off on voting for a confirmed Definite Enemy, but the number of situations where you actually want to do that is kind of small (mostly if you want to keep somebody around for an event).

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Okay, time for Plot Speculation! This speculation assumes a lot of things that we have no real proof for, but it makes sense to me.

Last I remember, the current theory was that this is a computer simulation for A.I.'s to figure out the best strategies for preventing Gnosia attacks while minimizing human casualties. My theory is somewhat reversed: This whole situation is a test for Gnos to figure out the best strategies for it's Gnosia followers.

'Gnos' comes from the Greek word 'gnosis', which, depending on who you ask, refers to either 'intellectual knowledge' (as opposed to practical) or 'spiritual knowledge'. Knowledge is important. Knowledge is power. Powerful enough that simply possessing a true understanding of certain principles allows you to make fundamental changes in reality. Gnos desires to gain more knowledge. Why they desire this is uncertain, but the fact remains that they do not yet know everything and they wish to rectify this. The root of their conflict with humanity is that Gnos wishes to learn the totality of the 'human experience' to further their quest to gain all knowledge.

However, their current methods are not working. Humanity is tenaciously resisting. For every ship and planet given over to Gnos, more are destroyed, by military suppression or ship-scuttling. The current methods Gnos uses often end up killing many humans, Gnosia-infected or otherwise, and thus are detrimental to the goals of Gnos. Thus, an experiment was devised. A ship with 15 souls on it, all unknowingly Gnosia-infected. A time-loop wherein Gnos can alter the starting conditions as they see fit and see what results may occur. In doing this, Gnos will learn how it's Gnosia followers may succeed, or perhaps even find a way to convince humans to co-operate of their own free will. On this ship, the only difference between a 'human' and a 'Gnosia' is that the latter know that they are infected, and the former do not.

However, Gnos's plan could not account for everything. Enter Yuriko.

On a technical level, everyone on the ship is a looper, as whenever the current 'loop' is finished, their minds are sent back to the start. Yuriko is, however, the first Aware Looper. She has been Aware for a long, long time. Long enough that she has acquired some 'Knowledge' herself.

quote:

Compared to the stars, humankind is so insignificant. However... even the stars themselves are not so special. They are but the playthings of the gods. The insane gods who created this universe... It is simply a matter of perception... The universe is within mankind. And so, it is all up to you.

The universe contains an almost unlimited number of truths and possibilities. Yet it is also true that everything is composed to the same fundamental building blocks that one can find anywhere. Gnos is akin to one who explores every hidden corner of the universe to gain fragments of understanding. Yuriko is akin to one who studies and learns every facet of a single grain of sand, and thus understands the universe. Being trapped on this ship, in this loop, Yuriko has learned nearly everything there is to know about her shipmates, their secrets and how they react to various stimuli, and thus about humanity and their place in the universe. It helps that she, along with everyone else, is Gnosia-infected and thus linked with the unfathomable intellect that is Gnos. She's not anywhere near the level of Gnos, not quite yet, but to a human, the difference is hard to discern.

Above all else, Yuriko just wants the Loop to end. It does not matter how it ends, only that there is a final end. In my theory, Yuriko was the creator of the Bug, an attempt to corrupt the means by which Gnos resets loops and end her own existence (even if it destroys the universe as well). However, it seems that not only did she fail in her aim, but her Bug was co-opted by Gnos and used as an extra variable to garner more behavioural data.

However, this served as something of a wake-up call to Gnos. There was a rogue element that could jeopardize it's experiment, and could eventually pose a threat. To counteract this, Gnos made one looper, and eventually another, Aware: Setsu and Cassidy. Moreover, it gave them the power to alter conditions as they saw fit, allowing them to reverse anything Yuriko might try to do. It gave them plot armour (however shortlived that might have been). This may yet be it's downfall, however: Yuriko may have failed with her Bug gambit, but she still has some power of her own and, more importantly, she has Setsu and Cassidy. Not only are they now Aware (and thus, people she may be able to have an intelligent conversation with someday), but they, in some ways, were given more power by Gnos than she ever managed to wrest for herself.

The fate of this ship, and thus humanity, and thus the universe, lies in their hands...

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I feel like I'm a cross between Shigemichi and Gina; bad at reading people and not fond of the game in general.

My first time playing Mafia was not a fun experience for me, and I've basically avoided it like the plague ever since. I'll happily spectate other people's games, and I'm okay with stuff like the Battlestar Galactica board game, but actual Mafia is something I have no desire to subject myself to ever again, and is the main reason why I haven't joined the list of goons who have picked up Gnosia because of this LP.

I would note that Mafia is a really imperfect game to play IRL: the dead people sit around and do nothing, taking records of voting and conversation is pretty much required to make actual deductions but is super clunky, and it often drags on way too long. Gnosia solves pretty much all those problems by virtue of being a PVE experience. I think it came up earlier in the thread, but by giving each player a unique stat spread and personality, it explains away 'suboptimal' play in a narratively satisfying manner. Since the player is biased towards survival and unlocking story content, the player also has a justification for suboptimal play as well. It's a very neat solution- I similarly despise playing Mafia with real humans but have had a ton of fun with this game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

archduke.iago posted:

I would note that Mafia is a really imperfect game to play IRL: the dead people sit around and do nothing, taking records of voting and conversation is pretty much required to make actual deductions but is super clunky, and it often drags on way too long. Gnosia solves pretty much all those problems by virtue of being a PVE experience. I think it came up earlier in the thread, but by giving each player a unique stat spread and personality, it explains away 'suboptimal' play in a narratively satisfying manner. Since the player is biased towards survival and unlocking story content, the player also has a justification for suboptimal play as well. It's a very neat solution- I similarly despise playing Mafia with real humans but have had a ton of fun with this game.

I'm way more used to forums Mafia, so the few times I've been able to play a Mafialike irl have been a cool novelty for me. Maybe I've just been lucky to have had good people though. Irl it doesn't work as well to take major time to analyse everything. If you just keep it light and keep it moving, flying by the seat of your pants, you don't get to make super serious deductions but people also have less time to plan out their lies. Having good snacks prolly helps, so dead folks can just have a nice break and grab some munchies.

But imo a really super easy way to make Mafia fun for everyone irl is to stick with One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Everyone gets to debate all the crazy role interactions and laugh about it, cause even the scums might not realise what the gently caress is going on, and each round is over too quick to stress too much.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There are also Mafia-likes where people don't have to sit out, like The Resistance.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I always liked the dead guys can chat with themselves and only themselves thing the sc2 version did. Made for some great moments despite being knocked out.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FoolyCharged posted:

I always liked the dead guys can chat with themselves and only themselves thing the sc2 version did. Made for some great moments despite being knocked out.

I'm told that in Among Us, dead people can join in chat with everyone else, but only other dead people can _see_ their chat. The messages are interleaved properly and can be seen when... you die, basically.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Quackles posted:

I'm told that in Among Us, dead people can join in chat with everyone else, but only other dead people can _see_ their chat. The messages are interleaved properly and can be seen when... you die, basically.

Something similar happens in Town of Salem, but there there's a role that can communicate with dead players, Medium.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

archduke.iago posted:

I would note that Mafia is a really imperfect game to play IRL:

My first Mafia experience was a forum-based game, using Something Awful's general ruleset, but not on this site. The experience was extremely stressful and mentally draining for me, and in the end I realized that I got way too caught up in the game and took things way too personally. That's a me problem, not a problem with the game itself, but either way, I've come to the conclusion that mafia and I don't mix and I keep my distance from it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

W.T. Fits posted:

My first Mafia experience was a forum-based game, using Something Awful's general ruleset, but not on this site. The experience was extremely stressful and mentally draining for me, and in the end I realized that I got way too caught up in the game and took things way too personally. That's a me problem, not a problem with the game itself, but either way, I've come to the conclusion that mafia and I don't mix and I keep my distance from it.

Yeah, this is why games like One Night Ultimate Werewolf are so much better. The rounds only last a couple of minutes, so you don't get invested in anything, and you just have fun with the chaos that is caused by various roles.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If you're not claiming godfather/mafioso day one, regardless of your actual role, are you really playing mafia?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
So, if the Gnosia are just blooping their victims into another reality, and the Bug is just unconsciously rebooting/deleting the universe, does that mean the only person shown to be capable of actual "I am ending the life of this fucker right here" murder is Setsu?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Tendales posted:

So, if the Gnosia are just blooping their victims into another reality, and the Bug is just unconsciously rebooting/deleting the universe, does that mean the only person shown to be capable of actual "I am ending the life of this fucker right here" murder is Setsu?

So far...

We still haven't seen everything.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What's the difference between Sha-Ming and Remnan if they're both the "High Stealth, fly under the radar" characters?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Remnan is quiet as a mouse. Sha-Ming is such a putz he doesn't have to be quiet to not be taken seriously.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

remnan is pretty good at seeing through bullshit, he just won't say or do anything about it. if he decides to speak up it can be worth paying attention to

sha-ming is completely checked out of the whole thing

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Introvert vs Extrovert basically. If you're only going by stats SQ and Kukrushka are almost identical but play very differently too.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Stat-wise, Sha-Ming is harder to target because in addition to his higher Stealth, his high Performance makes him better at lying and his slightly higher Charm blunts attacks against him. Remnan's Stealth makes it unlikely for the rest of the crew to start actively targeting him (unless they catch him in a lie), but once a dogpile on him starts he's usually sent off to cold sleep in fairly short order.

Personality-wise, Sha-Ming is completely disinterested in playing the game. He doesn't care about anyone or anything other than his own survival, and he doesn't mind acting as obnoxious and irresponsibly as possible to ensure he's overlooked, or throwing others to the wolves if that's what it'll take to get the heat off him. Remnan does care about the safety of the crew/the Gnosia in general (depending on which side he's on) and tries to contribute positively to his team, but his naturally shy and quiet nature means he's afraid of speaking up even in situations where it would be beneficial.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Sha-Ming is also a lot more active in using skills. He tends to Exaggerate a lot, along with a bunch of other skills we haven't seen yet. On the other hand, I literally can't remember what skills Remnan has because he uses them so infrequently (granted, part of that is that he just talks so infrequently in general).