Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Donkringel posted:

Well that is interesting. Setsu knows there is a loop going on (since Set gave us the loop ability, no surprise) but also does not like being a gnosia and is looking forward to the next loop.

I'm putting my money that this game is going to have a mindfuck twist like Doki Doki Literature Club or something like that.

I get the feeling that this whole thing is a training exercise for the next generation of ship AI.

The current AI can't consistently figure out who is Gnosia on actual ships and it's become enough of a problem in the real world that this test with all of the loops has been devised. Everyone that has showed up so far are each different AIs coded in certain ways and then mashed together to determine the approach that can best figure out how to spot Gnosia. Cassidy's AI is a new model and is being built from the ground up via the EXP/level system the player has access to. Meanwhile, someone like Comet is a finished product destined to never tell a lie but always be able to tell when someone else is doing as such. Similarly, Raqio will always be 100% logic and 0% People Skills even as that approach continues to end in being flash frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

wologar posted:

That's a good idea, but what possible drawbacks would an AI with full scores in all categories have? Unless they're also trying to figure that out and the 100%-in-everything-AI is Yuriko.

My guess is that Yuriko is the AI of an admin and is there mostly to make sure no funny business is going on that would fudge the outcome. That is, if Cassidy didn't have their plot armor then Yuriko would participate with stats on par with the other AIs and Cassidy wouldn't have had a target on their back for the entirely of loop 5 (for as long as it lasted before cold sleep in the LP's case).

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

So if Setsu remembers the events of previous loops does that mean that how they treat the player before/during/after a loop depends partly (mostly?) on how they've been treated by the player up to that point? That is, has being nice to Setsu all of this time meant that Cassidy was less likely to get thrown under the bus by them during a flash freeze vote and/or less likely to be targeted for death whenever Setsu was Gnosia?

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

I appreciate that the game acknowledges that while you can eventually do quite well during a loop once you've learned the general playstyle each character has, sometimes the RNG will give you a palm strike to the liver in the form of starting as Gnosia with someone like Comet as your sole ally.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm getting the feeling whatever is trapping Setsu and Cassidy in the time loop is a much bigger threat than the Gnos, as Setsu seemed to be self-aware when they were turned Gnosia rather than being overridden by...whatever that was.

That's quite possible but I suspect that a combination of Setsu being around for more than a hundred loops so far and remembering what happens in previous loops has allowed them to build up a solid resistance to doing Very Gnosia Things. Then again, aside from Stella every time so far that Cassidy reached the end of a losing loop as a human the Gnosia that confronted them was at least trying to not act like a slavering murderfiend. Setsu was aware enough to state their distaste of killing people before deciding to get the loop over with, Raqio was more interested in chewing the scenery as a cartoonish supervillain and Gina kept playing nice (followed by Cassidy realizing too late that she'd been lying).

Time will tell if someone else has a Stella-like reaction, although that will require that Mega stops getting Cassidy turned into cold cuts. :haw:

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Yeeeah I'm definitely getting 'everyone is an AI' vibes now. A role has been introduced (for the first time ever?) that causes the loop/simulation to crash if the owner survives until the end. As an aside, I'm sure Yuriko is absolutely thrilled that yet another exploit can be traced back to Cassidy.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

This isn't the first time that someone has been insensitive (to put it generously) towards a non-binary character either.

Sha-Ming's introduction starts off with him perving on Setsu which, when combined with Shamey's approach as Guardian Angel (protect women and only women) doesn't really paint him in a positive light. I get the feeling that when Setsu is talking with Cassidy afterwards and implies that they've killed Shamey at least once in previous loops that it's not always been in a 'Gnosia targeting Human' way.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

whitehelm posted:

As far as I understand it, Stealth is only for helping against Gnosia attacks...you need high Charm to avoid getting yelled at.

That's the impression I got too. My general understanding after referring back to the How To Play Gnosia update is:

- Stealth is the stat for reducing how much suspicion you get from (not) speaking up during a debate alongside making you a less interesting target to the Gnosia. It works in tandem with chiming in during debates so make sure to be chatty but not TOO chatty. Raqio is on the low end Stealth-wise and very chatty so it's no big shock that they get frozen or killed a lot. Shigemichi on the other hand has excellent Stealth so he has an easier time getting away with talking too much.
- Charm is the stat that reduces how much trust/favor is lost when someone accuses you and in turn increases the odds of others coming to the rescue when you defend yourself. Jonas is on the low end when it comes to Charm so if he gets caught in a lie by someone then Jonas' day will quickly go sour unless he's built up support with others beforehand. On the other hand, someone like Kukrushka or SQ have Charm for days and have no problem winning people over even if some of those same people had accused them earlier in the questioning.
- Intuition is the stat that determines how good of a lie detector you are, working directly against Performance. So, if someone like Shigemichi (abysmal Performance) lies when Comet (flawless Intitution) is around, Comet can and will spot that lie 99.99% of the time. If someone like Yuriko is lying though then even Comet might not catch on right away since Yuriko has no peer when it comes to Performance.
- Going off of the above, Performance is in part how good you are at lying through your teeth without anyone noticing. Performance is also the stat you want in order to make your statements more effective when it comes to currying favor with emotional people. Everyone pays attention when Yuriko defends or accuses someone but similar declarations from someone like Shigemichi (terrible Performance) won't have nearly the same impact.
- Logic is similar to Performance in that it makes your statements more effective when it comes to challenging how trustworthy someone is or isn't. Raqio may be incapable of spotting a lie but when they say that someone is a Definite Human or Definite Enemy then that's the end of that particular discussion. SQ however is terrible at connecting the dots so she's probably not going to trap someone in a logical conundrum.
- Charisma is the stat for making it easier to get people to trust what you say along with making it more likely that people on your side will pitch in when you accuse or defend someone else. Setsu is very charismatic so if they have people on their side then they're in good shape. Remnan on the other hand is a charismatic black hole so odds are anyone who pitches in after he says something were going to attack/defend Remnan's target even if he said nothing at all.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

It's a nice touch that Remnan is apparently so much of a non-presence that his face isn't shown on the screen when he gets killed by the Gnosia. Similarly, it was nice of Setsu to rib Cassidy about blowing up the universe at the start of loop 17. I guess not even the end of everything can get us on Setsu's bad side.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

How good of a Gnosia is Sha-Ming? He's definitely got the stats to survive for a while (excellent stealth, good to great performance and charm, decent charisma) and he's the closest to Mega64 in terms of play style (survival above all else even if it means throwing a fellow Gnosia under the bus).

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

ChaceRider posted:

Also, I find this train of discussion hilarious because, in a series of 6 or 7 Gnosia runs, every time I had Sha-Ming as a buddy, he'd go and get himself iced early. Usually for counter-claiming someone like Kukrushka, but sometimes just for no apparent reason. :downs: High stealth, my rear end.

Well, high Stealth only goes so far. Sha-Ming has high performance (about 8/10) but he can still get caught in a lie by the super intuitive people; Yuriko in particular can make Sha-Ming miserable since, aside from Stealth, her stats are either better or considerably better than his are. As for Kukrushka she sacrifices Charisma and Stealth for superior Performance and Charm (especially Charm) compared to Sha-Ming. If Krush ever gets a reason to dislike Sha-Ming then it seems that she can make him squirm almost as well as Yuriko can.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Omobono posted:

By the way, who are the intuitive characters apart from Comet? Can't check the stat spreads right now.

Obviously Yuriko because she's everything, then I think Gina, Otome and Kukrushka, in no particular order?

Going off of a zero to ten scale (working under the assumption that learning about a character increases their stats based on their circle graph distribution instead of softening weak points) I'd rate the amount of intuition characters have as:

- Gina is 1.5/10
- SQ is 4.5/10
- Raqio is 0/10
- Stella is 4.5/10
- Shigemichi is 3/10
- Setsu is 5/10
- Chiple is 8/10
- Comet is, of course, 10/10
- Jonas is 5/10
- Kukrushka is 7/10
- Sha-Ming is 0.5/10
- Yuriko is 9/10
- Otome is 6/10
- Remnan is 8/10

Basically, Gina, Raqio, Shigemichi and Sha-Ming will consistently have a hard time spotting lies. SQ, Setsu, Stella, Jonas and Otome aren't great at spotting lies but you can't underestimate them either. Good luck fooling Yuriko, Chiple, Kukrushka, Remnan and/or Comet though.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

This new information about Gina puts her interactions with Cassidy in loop 2 under a new light. She appreciated Cassidy trusting her so often then hesitated at the end of the loop before lying to them (followed by Cassidy spotting the lie when it was too late to do anything about it).

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Do the non Setsu characters realize they're in a loop?

I don't remember there being anything stated in the LP one way or the other but I do suspect that Yuriko remembers events that occurred outside of the current loop. Yuriko's already displayed the ability to dispel Cassidy's plot armor along with the newly displayed ability to reset Cassidy's allocation of stat points when the circumstances are right so her retaining knowledge of past loops wouldn't be a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Araxxor posted:

I don't think Yuriko is that omniscient, otherwise reallocating your stats gives her ample ammo to pin you down as the Bug for that loop, and good luck surviving that when she has guaranteed evidence against you.

Yeah, that's true. That is, I now get the feeling that Yuriko isn't omniscient and that her being able to reassign your stats only reaffirms in her mind that something about you is unusual as opposed to it being a sign that you're the Bug. Looking at loop 23 again, Yuriko never really did put any suspicion on Cassidy and always voted for someone else even after Cassidy dropped by to get their personality reset.