Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Football without fans is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pleased that Villa weren't in a relegation fight this year, that's all I wanted really but it's a shame we weren't able to build on such a great start to the season. We weren't really the same side after our COVID breakout, and also Grealish being injured for like a third of the season hasn't helped. I'm positive if he wasn't out then we'd still be pushing for a top 6 finish.

It's lame that relegation was settled about six months ago when it was clear just how poo poo Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield Utd were going to be this season.

Other pluses were how poo poo Liverpool were and the 7-2 thrashing.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Leeds owned and still might finish above a former ESL side so can't have too many complaints

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1392419957376528385?s=08

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

I'm sad for him, happy for Liverpool.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Xabi posted:

it’s this

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

sourdough posted:

They're saying "a Haaland" to specify the approximate class and type of player they're talking about without saying it needs to be Haaland himself. Instead of "a top, top forward" or something which is much more ambiguous and invites the question "like who?" with the answer "like a Haaland or a Kane." There's nothing weird about it.

i mean this is slightly different than my point, but who else is out there in that tier of player and is gettable?

but it's really the "a" part of it

"someone like haaland or kane" vs. "someone like a haaland or a kane"

the latter is just clunky in my ears every time i hear it

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

i mean this is slightly different than my point, but who else is out there in that tier of player and is gettable?

Oh, yeah I get you on that

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Same with talking about clubs- your Chelseas, your Man Uniteds, your Barcelonas. It's irritating as hell.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

We need more players like an Akinfenwa or a Frimpong

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Same with talking about clubs- your Chelseas, your Man Uniteds, your Barcelonas. It's irritating as hell.

How do you feel about the Wayne Rooneys of the world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entup0bSYjw

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

A Ronaldo or a Januzaj

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Xabi posted:

leave man city alone haha

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

vyelkin posted:

A Ronaldo or a Januzaj

:hmmyes:

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Breath Ray posted:

leave man city alone haha

haha

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
steve bruce just won manager of the month for the first time and he does in fact get a trophy for that

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
What in the heck

https://twitter.com/benmendy23/status/1393174569838596101?s=19

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

steve bruce just won manager of the month for the first time and he does in fact get a trophy for that

Steve must stay.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

If he can keep Newcastle up, imagine what he could do for Arsenal

keep them up

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Looks like he just needed time

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

well deserved

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

vyelkin posted:

well deserved

versus where we were after brighton it's hard to argue

good on him, but still hope he fucks off

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

vyelkin posted:

well deserved

Took us all the way from 17th to 17th during that month

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Bruce must walk

to the mailbox to collect his Premier League Manager of the Month trophy

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If he can keep Newcastle up, imagine what he could do for Arsenal

keep them up

german managers seem to do well in the prem, lets get klinsmann back to north london

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Jose posted:

Took us all the way from 17th to 17th during that month

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

A quiz: which of these stories about Brendan Rodgers is true? Story A: when he was a youth-team coach at Chelsea he once tried to cheer up an out-of-form John Terry by commissioning a bespoke motivational poem, which he then had framed. Story B: when his Swansea side won promotion to the Premier League, he celebrated by going off to climb Mount Kilimanjaro with Chris Kamara. Story C: when he meets young players for the first time he draws them a little stick figure with a crown on its head, in order to illustrate that they are “king of their own destiny”.

Of course, they’re all true. This is the inimitable legend of Rodgers: people person, friend to the stars, all-round wit. For some this is the sort of stuff that renders him ripe for ridicule. And yet, let’s examine the evidence. A visibly moved Terry scored in his next Chelsea game and dedicated the goal to Rodgers. The Kilimanjaro jaunt was a longstanding charity commitment, raising almost £400,000 in the fight against cancer, the disease to which he lost both his parents. And when your record of youth development includes Raheem Sterling, Philippe Coutinho, Kieran Tierney, Harvey Barnes and James Maddison, perhaps it’s fair to say his methods have some merit.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Rodgers is cool and good and it's a shame that he didn't get his league win and then it broke him.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
would watch a twitch stream of chris kamara climbing kilimanjaro tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ffs

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1393482829812600833?s=19

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jewish Chronicle pay it no mind

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bundy posted:

Jewish Chronicle pay it no mind

Is that the same one that said Corbyn was an anti Semite?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Yes it's the rag that makes poo poo up out of whole cloth if you have anything to say about the apartheid going on in Israel that's not "yes more of that please". Imagine The Sun with a more religious bent.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

I think it holds the record for most libel convictions in the UK. Mostly due to Pollard.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

I think it holds the record for most libel convictions in the UK. Mostly due to Pollard.

Private eye still comfortably holds that title.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Private eye still comfortably holds that title.

Doesn’t Private Eye hold the cases and JC hold the upheld?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/1393645557659361290?s=20

Lol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Amazing

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

a bad case of upartheld. keen to see liverpool overtake chelsea idiot race be damned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

Nah, PE lost *hundreds* of cases. They went almost 40 years between their first writ and actually getting a win in court - the Jewish Chronicle under Pollard probably had a much higher run-rate, but the Eye is a marathon runner, not a sprinter.

Incidentally the firm that got the majority of the big wins against the JC under Pollard (and another big payout from the Spectator for one of his articles) is Bindmans, the same firm that represents Private Eye pro bono, so Pollard is actually partially funding the defence of Private Eye.

e: If it comes to it I'm willing to bet any given tabloid editor has lost way more libel cases than Pollard can ever hope to.