Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Welcome to the Jizz Hornkamp’s official thread covering the English men’s national team, ahead of the UEFA 2020 European Championships.

After a comprehensive qualifying display that saw nine wins out of ten, with 37 goals scored, England find themselves in Group D. Their opponents in the group stage are:

V Croatia (Wembley, Sunday 13th June, 1pm KO)

V Scotland (Wembley, Friday 18th June, 8pm KO)

V Czech Republic (Wembley, Tuesday 22nd June, 8pm KO)

Winning the group would see England likely face one of the sides from the so-called Group of Death, likely Germany or Portugal, in the last sixteen. They could decide to Russia 2018 it again, and finish second, where they would face either Sweden or Poland in all likeliness.

In any case, ahead of the June 1st deadline for the final 26 squad, here is the current provisional squad named by Gareth Southgate:

quote:

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Man Utd), Sam Johnstone (West Brom), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Sheff Utd)

Defenders: John Stones (Man City), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), Harry Maguire (Man Utd), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Kyle Walker (Man City), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Reece James (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Ben Godfrey (Everton), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Ben White (Brighton)

Midfielders: Mason Mount (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Man City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Mason Greenwood (Man Utd), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)

So, looking at that list, who do we all think the seven who will not be making the cut? Who is in your starting XI for the Croatia tie, a mere two weeks on Sunday?

Were it up to me, and sadly it is not, the following players in the provisional list above would be staying home: Ramsdale, Godfrey, White, Lingard, Ward-Prowse, Watkins, Saka. However, there could be a second chance for Godfrey/White and Ward-Prowse if the injuries to Harry Maguire and Jordan Henderson prove to be too much.

With that in mind, my XI for Croatia, if everyone is fighting fit, is as follows:

I do not think this is the side that will be picked, but really see this side causing problems for a lot of other nations in the tournament. Naturally I worry about the strength in depth at centre half, and Pickford always has that rush of blood to the head in him, but I do think the back four are all coming off good/great seasons.

Let’s use this thread to chat about Southgate’s merry band of brave, brave Lionhearts, and let us all enjoy the summer ahead as England’s captain, Sir Harry Kane, hoists the Henri Delauney Trophy into the summer air at Wembley on July 11th!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

britishbornandbread fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 27, 2021

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

doin some lols at the trex in over hendo mate

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Bundy posted:

doin some lols at the trex in over hendo mate

I'm not so sure about this to be honest. I get it's the in-thing and dead cool to dislike Pickford, but I will say this: Henderson had a HORROR show versus Liverpool in a big game against decent attackers, and Pickford, for the mistakes he HAS made at club level, never lets England down. Plus, his distribution is really good. I can't say I watch United all of the time, enough to notice how good Henderson is with his feet?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Henderson's distribution is very good and he seems much more comfortable sweeping up, granted this is in comparison to De Gea who seems to come out in hives if he steps out of his six yard box. Not sure what was so terrible about his match against Liverpool he got hung out to dry with a disorganised defence imo.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It's coming home

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Frankston posted:

It's coming home

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Line 'em up.

It's coming home

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Congratulations England on the It's Coming Home 20201 trophy

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Having spent an hour at work today going through the potential fixtures and rationalising why England could beat every side they might come up against I think I've got euro fever. England v Scotland on a Friday night in a competitive fixture phwooaarrr

its coming home

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bundy posted:

Henderson's distribution is very good and he seems much more comfortable sweeping up, granted this is in comparison to De Gea who seems to come out in hives if he steps out of his six yard box. Not sure what was so terrible about his match against Liverpool he got hung out to dry with a disorganised defence imo.

He went off to buy a kebab and left Salah with 97% of the goal to aim at tbh

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

There was also a defender almost back and by the time it was apparent the defender wasn't going to get the block in Henderson was in no man's land because if he comes further toward Salah there he gets chipped and if he drops off there's loving acres either side to hit.

The poo poo Henderson got for that goal was loving harsh and anyone that's played in net should know better.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nah his positioning was bad.

Source: I was goalkeeper for my primary school team

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Was looking at the squad again this morning trying to work out who'd get the honours when they win. Would you get a knighthood for winning the euros or is that strictly for world cups? Kane and Henderson would probably get one but I feel like the rest are too young and don't have enough caps and would be limited to OBEs at the most

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Rashford gets an upgrade and a seat in the House of Lords if he scores the winner in the final.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sebzilla posted:

Rashford gets an upgrade and a seat in the House of Lords if he scores the winner in the final.

Regardless of his campaigning, he’s been average this season and shouldn’t get on the pitch at all if there’s any fairness in selection.

britishbornandbread posted:

With that in mind, my XI for Croatia, if everyone is fighting fit, is as follows:

Yeah, no chance Bellingham starts any games unless there are injuries - but I rate him. Still hilarious that Birmingham City retired his number though.

Mount has played well and been consistent, but I don’t see how England’s best 11 doesn’t include both Grealish & Foden.

Grealish was killing Chelsea last week, and no one else can draw the fouls away from Harry Kane better than him.

I think Stones has been vastly overrated this season based on playing in the best team, with ~75% possession, next to the living God that is Dias. I’d start any of the others over him.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Trippier at right back.

Play every game with the supporting wide players getting 45 minutes each so they can keep the pace up.

Henderson if fit in the middle.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

wooger posted:

Regardless of his campaigning, he’s been average this season and shouldn’t get on the pitch at all if there’s any fairness in selection.

21 goals and 15 assists while carrying a foot injury isn't "average"

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bundy posted:

21 goals and 15 assists while carrying a foot injury isn't "average"

That includes all competitions, which gives him way more games against garbage European sides.

11 goals in 37 starts up front in the 2nd placed team in the league isn’t great, it’s average. Bamford got more goals in the premier league, plenty of other players reached that mark.

And I only make 12 assists including all competitions.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Man United are history's greatest monsters but I feel like young Marcus deserves to be in the squad. 12 assists in all comps is still quite good :shrug:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

wooger posted:

That includes all competitions, which gives him way more games against garbage European sides.

11 goals in 37 starts up front in the 2nd placed team in the league isn’t great, it’s average. Bamford got more goals in the premier league, plenty of other players reached that mark.

And I only make 12 assists including all competitions.

Bamford doesn't play on the wing you absolute bellend

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I love Rashford to bits but he looked completely spent versus Villarreal. Hopefully a good week rest does him good.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Prickford

Carrier
May 12, 2009

its coming home

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I want bamford and grealish personally. I feel like Kane up top on his own isn’t the way to go.

In conclusion;

It’s coming home

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
are people leaving Sterling out of their codetag XI's for real? cmon bruh

Sterling and Sancho either side of Kane would be the boss move but Southgate's probably too much of a coward to do that

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sterling strikes me as a flat track bully and a bit of a bottler on the big occasions.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bundy posted:

Sterling strikes me as a flat track bully and a bit of a bottler on the big occasions.

James had him in his pocket all night tonight. I guess it’ll help when they’re on the same team.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mason mounts already on that plane but idk give him a seat by the door for the extra legroom cause he did a sick pass tonight

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Bundy posted:

This is correct.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

You son of a bitch

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who the heck is even first choice at wingbacks/fullbacks. Shaw, Chilwell, Saka on the left. Trent, James, Walker, Trippier on the right.

Maybe they should redeploy some of them as shuttlers in midfield. Saka could do a job for sure.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Who the heck is even first choice at wingbacks/fullbacks. Shaw, Chilwell, Saka on the left. Trent, James, Walker, Trippier on the right.

Maybe they should redeploy some of them as shuttlers in midfield. Saka could do a job for sure.

Starters should be Chillwell and Trippier imo

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

trem_two posted:

Starters should be Chillwell and Trippier imo

Away, Shaw should absolutely be starting at left back especially if Rashford is wide left

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Play a back 5 and cram them all in.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
6-3-1 with Chillwell - Shaw - Stones - Maguire - James - Trippier, Foden - Henderson - Mount, and Kane up top.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The squad that will be bringing it home:

Delighted for saka

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Would have taken ward prowse or JLingz ahead of Bellingham but that's only because I haven't watched him play. At 17 it feels like a bit of a Walcott addition that could have been used more effectively but maybe he's torn up the bundesliga this season idk. Can't wait to see kalvin bring it home

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Yeah that midfield looks a bit sparse, unless the plan is a 4-2-3-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

the sex ghost posted:

Would have taken ward prowse or JLingz ahead of Bellingham but that's only because I haven't watched him play. At 17 it feels like a bit of a Walcott addition that could have been used more effectively but maybe he's torn up the bundesliga this season idk. Can't wait to see kalvin bring it home

Agree, I think ward-prowse set pieces might have come in handy.