Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The novel Shadespire is half from the perspective of a Khorne worshiper and while he's an antagonist it shows him as fundamentally still being a person who is doing the right thing from his perspective, and hell given the events of the novel you can understand why Khorne wants him to kill the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
AoS is a better setting for a wargame then the Old World. The setting is more malleable so you can feel more free to create your own dudes without worrying where they fit in the map. It also makes it easier to explain why any two armies are fighting where in the Old World they might be on separate continents. Since it's also not as tied with a historically inspired setting it's also more diverse racially and gender wise where in the Old World nonwhite races were more just of the side of the map and not a playable faction. For all that people make fun of Stormcast as being sigmarines they give a showcase faction that lets you be more of a straightforward good guy rather then fascist child soldiers.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm only on Daemonslayer but that seems about right, why does he get a buff vs death tho?

I think the Death unit were Zombies or something that can come back if you don't wipe them fully out, so he killed a bunch, some came back, then he killed a bunch more until they were all dead.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It's super weird. Gloomspite Gitz got 4 WD articles, then those got consolidated/updated in Broken Realms, then most of that got removed with 3rd edition, and now what, we're waiting for another WD?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Yeah ossiarch and gitz really need new books.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Cessna posted:

They were tied to the Old World.

Rats that dig tunnels under rotting sorta-Holy Roman Empire cities are great, but they seem out of place in the high fantasy vibe of AoS.

I think it's more the opposite. In the Old World having bizzare guns and tech was their thing, but now they are just one of many factions with it in AoS. They lost the thing that made them seem special and are just another band of weirdos among a whole bunch of weirdos.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Thanks for the heads up with the bundle. Has anyone run the Secrets in the Mist adventure series before? Seems kinda like high powered CoC in a jungle with pirates?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Inspired by the Bundle of Holding I have a recruitment thread up for a Soulbound game, set in Brightspear. So if you are interested in playing avoid reading the Brightspear adventures/secrets. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3998489

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are you looking for experienced players specifically? Picked up the bundle because it looks interesting but I have never played before.

Yeah no familiarity with the rules required. The system isn't too complex but you can let me know if you have any questions.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mors Rattus posted:

Okay, hang on, shadow daemons from the moon?

Can we get more about that?

We don't know much about them. They live on Ulgu and come from it's moon of Dhareoth and Morathi hangs out with them. When she first got there they sheilded her and she was making some sort of pact with them when Malerion found her. Besides that I don't think we know much more a out them.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Aren't the origins of albino skaven mysterious since they are exclusively loyal to the Council of Thirteen? Maybe this is how they make them so big and loyal.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Winklebottom posted:

Didn't one of the recent-ish short stories hint at the White Dwarf/Grungni coming back and wanting to unite the dwarves?

He wants to yeah but basically all the dwarves are mad at him and not eager to follow his lead.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Deep kin vanguard box seems cool, but the fyreslayers just looks like 50 of the same dude. No clue how viable it is but just looks really unappealing to build and paint.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I like the new gitz models but like everyone else I'm worried how they'll fit into the army, my hope is that they basically kill the current sub factions and just make most of the buffs and stuff universal, I have all squigs stuff right now and would like to be able to throw in some trolls and these wolves.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
To be clear Gloomspite, while a good book is not from the Gitz perspective. It's basically a disaster story with the Gitz being portrayed as an almost unstoppable force of nature. There is also Gitslayer in the new Gotrek series but once again not from their perspective.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

GreenBuckanneer posted:

seems like there might be this too?

Guy Haley’s Skarsnik

That is a Warhammer old world book, not Gloomspite Gitz. Haven't read it but Haley is usually decent.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
There's a part in soul Wars where a new Stormcast Eternal says something like "We don't need to understand why Sigmar wants us to do this we just need to follow orders!" And her boss says that's dumb and Sigmar wants them to question him and follow of their own free will. Sigmar befriended Gorkamorka and Nagash and worked with them for centuries before it broke down. He still basically rules by divine right of being king, but compared to the Emperor who was explicitly either you do what I say or I kill you he's running a utopia.
Like the Knights Excelsior are hard core but even the nicest space Marines will murder helpless aliens who've done nothing but exist or kill every human on a world that refuses to follow the Emperor.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

War and Pieces posted:

I'm sorry I called your benevolent sky daddy and his buff Bois fascist
Did you ask a question just so you could get mad at everyone who didn't give you the answer you wanted?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Fyreslayers especially feel like you should be able to include 500 pts of them in other armies as mercenaries like giants.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Huh, have they always been Moonclan? Good to know either way!

Yes, but the loonboss used to only work on moonclan grot units and they dropped the grot part from what the reviews have said.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Gloomspite and Dark Harvest are both good horror type books. Soul Wars is a decent introduction to the setting and has a Stormcast focus. Also liked Plague Garden for more SCE action.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Do the new books even talk about where skaven come from? I thought the whole breeder thing was the old world. I always thought that if conditions allowed for it in the mortal realms, skaven just appear.
Yeah, it's mentioned in a Fyreslayers short story where they invade a Skaven warren and find some breeding females and in the novel Stormvault there is a Skaven POV character who remembers being a baby and having to trick his siblings into eating eachother instead of him.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Talas posted:

My favorite "thing" is better than your favorite "thing"!
Whiskers on kittens are way better then brown paper packages tied up with string and you are an idiot if you think otherwise.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Geisladisk posted:

The realms aren't infinite. We dunno how big they are precisely but judging from the maps, not very. Like, smallish European country size, not entire planet size.

They're way bigger then that, GW hasn't given exact sizes but each realm has a a livable area larger then the Earth. The core book says traveling from one end to another would take longer then someone's entire lifetime.

The same thing means you don't really need to wrap your head around the whole setting, you can just think about specific areas. Some random person in Aqshy doesn't need to worry about what's going on in Chamon unless it's going to impact their life somehow.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I need gobblapalooza so I'll be picking up that Gloomspite box for sure.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Kruelboyz are fine as a model and faction they just don't belong in warclans. The Warclans book really suffers from being the release book as they have figured out how to do subfactions better.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I love it, it's grounded and over the top at the same time which is what the cities need to fit in. Regular people teaming up to shoot a demi god in the face.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It looks more like the Cursed City Ogre leaner then the other ogres.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Dreki Flynt novel has them fighting sky pirate feots and I would love that as an army or a few units to add to gitz.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Warhammer has good meta stats, here is their latest: https://woehammer.com/2023/07/30/aos-meta-stats-w-ending-23rd-july-2023-new-ghb/?amp=1 puts SCE at the bottom.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
That was 8th when they did a double space marine codex. LRL got two in second but I think the second one just added units and didn't change anything. But yeah, GW overestimates how much they can change things with just points.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
CoS they kind of wrote themselves in a corner. There are multiple all elf and all dwarf factions but no all human faction, so they want to let people have an all human army. At the same time a lot of people like CoS for the multiracial aspect of it so they want to provide ways to have those other races but keep them distinct. I think having mixed race units would be cool but I can see why it would also annoy some people so whatever they do someone won't like it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Geisladisk posted:

So in order to charge up your Bigpig you need to have it do donuts in your deployment zone for a round or two before smashing it into something. That rules.

They got the zoomies.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Most factions can do a monster heavy list that will have few models if that's what you are after, but depending on why you want a small army monsters might not solve the problem.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I haven't painted seraphon but gitz are my favorite army that I've ever painted. Weird little Jim Henson villains. Squigs especially are fun, I probably wouldn't enjoy painting a bunch of stabbas.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I remember talking to my catholic mother about souls and she was like "if you believe that you don't have one, isn't it horrifying and lonely to feel you don't have a soul and it all ends when you die" and like yeah but I'll take that 10000% over the horrors of existing after death as some sort of eternal disincorporated sentient thing, drifting and vulnerable to the whims of inscrutable inhuman entities. loving horrifying. Incomprehensible cosmic horror sounds like a bad vibe. Can't even off yourself to escape the terrors of the aos universe, it just gets worse from there.

Good news, the raven priests of Morrda can ensure that your soul safely passes out of the control of any god or force in the mortal realm. They take cash or several years of service in the under city of Lethis.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

AnEdgelord posted:

I think they did it for Space Marines towards the end of 40k 9th with the Strike Force Agastus box but this is the first time I've ever seen it done for anything other than Marines.

They did a PDF one for Ironjawz when the big pig and his friends came out, but I don't think they've done another for AoS.
Model and flavor wise those look great, love to see some less obviously corrupted chaos worshippers and I like the Franzetta aesthetic.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Chaos stormcast don't really fit in, we already have plenty of beefy chaos warriors, like maybe one as a special character but I don't see a unit if them.
The rumor is a flagellant type stormcast on their last life is coming with 4th, so I'm guessing it's Stormcast aren't really immortal. I'm not really clear on how long it's been since the realm gate wars though, so how old are the oldest stormcast right now?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Most AoS novels don't have to deal with the main meta plot, which is usually on the website and the campaign books, currently the Dawnbringers books. There will presumably be a new novel with the new edition but there isn't a current novel that has like, the rite of life being cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It's interesting, after 10th edition of 40k basically got rid of most army building rules I was expecting something similar for AoS 4th, instead it's becoming more complicated if anything. I like it though, helps makes things feel like a real army then just throwing the best units in. I do worry about that Teclis mention means that Special Characters will be even more vital for the list building flexibility.
Not surprised they got rid of in universe sub factions in favor of army composition based ones, lots of AoS armies already worked like that and who knows what the Big Yella color scheme is supposed to be.

neaden fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 3, 2024