Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Friends of Mineral Town was originally Back to Nature, a popular if jankily isometric entry in the Bokujou Monogatari (AKA: Harvest Moon) farming sim franchise that took the base content and characters of Harvest Moon 64 and reshuffled them for the Playstation 1. FoMT, its updated remake on the GameBoy Advance, went on to be one of the most beloved entries in the franchise, giving the game some much-needed quality-of-life improvements and the benefits of portable gaming.
Now, years after the name Harvest Moon was left behind in favor of Story of Seasons, the game receives another remake for modern consoles and PC with a fresh coat of chibi paint, even more quality-of-life improvements, and controversy over what's no longer on marriage candidates' heads. But we can be lesbians now, so we'll deal.
Join myself, Skippy Granola, and YamiNoSenshi as we rediscover the "classic Harvest Moon" formula with our farming hero, Best on the Ew Farm.

The LP
This is not a 100% LP, whatever that even looks like for an old-school Bokujou Monogatari game like this. Rather, my goal is to show off as much of the game as I reasonably can in the span of two in-game years, on the way to my ultimate goal of buying the town villa for a whopping 10 million G.
In full transparency, this LP was originally released to my Patreon patrons in full before being uploaded publicly. I don't do this with all of my LPs, but I do for special ones like this as thanks for their support. Patrons also voted on who I marry and gave name suggestions for the animals.

---------------------------

---------------------------------------------
Fanart

(By BrennaOkazaki)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Oh I am 100% here for this. I played the ever loving crap out of the old school Harvest Moon games and even just watching this first part was like meeting an old friend for the first time in years.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
It's so good to hear Skippy and Yami riffing on a farm sim again!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Very wholesome. I'm hoping for a bit of petty small town bullshit that needs to be resolved though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Best rides again!

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh heck yes, I loved your previous farming sim LPs. Excited to hear more Skippy fawning over spherical animals :allears:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

How else to entice Skippy into a game besides adorable pet rodents

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The bit about tools improving as you use them reminded me of a fun book by David Brin called The Practice Effect, about a world where that very thing happens.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Those are indeed some extremely good cows.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Welp, less than half an hour for time to cannibalism.
Nature sprites/cannibals.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 18, 2021

azren
Feb 14, 2011

You're able to have same-sex relationships in this!? Awesome! I'm still so used to franchises aimed at kids/an E rating being too afraid to do that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I can imagine Stardew Valley's success got them to go for it. It was sorta in older games as a "best friends" mechanic, mostly for the girl versions, and sadly that's kinda what the game still does in Japan, but at least it's there. Thank XSEED for making the romance non-subtext here in the Western version though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Can't have a party without horse

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm surprised nobody commented on the different title screen for the female character back in the first episode--the penguin got replaced by what I'm pretty sure is a capybara :3:

Also your LP inspired me to pull our my old GBA version of the game. And holy hell, is it ever difficult starting out in that one (unless you can put up with the TV mini-game). Even if this LP wasn't being played in Easy mode, just the fact that you start with a reasonable amount of inventory space plus item stacking has to make starting out a lot easier.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cherry learning the important lesson that sometimes you have to sacrifice lesser chickens so the better chickens can succeed.

Personal note, remember to delete "butthole sunning" from google search history.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's kind of a good thing that Carter isn't hot anymore. Makes his weirdness harder to ignore.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Personal note, remember to delete "butthole sunning" from google search history.

I... what!? :psyduck:

Did I completely forget something from the previous update!?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

azren posted:

I... what!? :psyduck:

Did I completely forget something from the previous update!?

When Best is talking to Jennifer at 5:50.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Oh heck ground floor on a ThornBrain LP and it’s my fav Harvest Moon game?! Bookmarked so hard!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Can't believe you stole the goddess' boot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm pretty sure the "old buddy who moved out" and left the fishing rod is a reference to Greg from Back to Nature, aka 'this guy who existed to give you the fishing rod and was never relevant again':

He also lived in Zack's house.

Back to Nature had a surprising amount of weird barely-notable characters that the remakes quietly got rid of. Gotz's old roommate and the photographer who lived with the mayor for some reason are the others.

(BTN was my first Harvest Moon and I played it a lot as a kid, so all the weird details are etched into my brain)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's just everyday with you, isn't it Jeff

Haifisch posted:

I'm pretty sure the "old buddy who moved out" and left the fishing rod is a reference to Greg from Back to Nature, aka 'this guy who existed to give you the fishing rod and was never relevant again':

He also lived in Zack's house.

Back to Nature had a surprising amount of weird barely-notable characters that the remakes quietly got rid of. Gotz's old roommate and the photographer who lived with the mayor for some reason are the others.

(BTN was my first Harvest Moon and I played it a lot as a kid, so all the weird details are etched into my brain)

Right! I bring that all up at some point in the LP but I don't remember when. They were otherwise-irrelevant characters from HM64 too.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
You cannot tell me that this is anything other than a pair of Ken doll trousers glued to his upper lip:

Also the priest - Carter? - looks shockingly like Tim Buckley, I can't get over it

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

There's been a distinct lack of adorable in this LP so far, so let's fix that!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody who can't cook with chocolate and strawberry milk isn't trying hard enough.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
At the very least, you could make chocolate/strawberry Ice Cream, right?

Koumpounophilia
Aug 9, 2021

by Hand Knit
The addition of the flavored cows and alpacas and rabbits (and their various products) along with the changes to the breeding and affection systems... well it's still nowhere near HMDS levels of completionist spite, but I sure wouldn't want to guess how long a Harvest Goddess% Run in this version would take either.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This part has nothing to do with Kai, for the record. He doesn't show up for a couple more parts.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Ions can be negative (anions) or positive (cations). The only thing they can't be is neutral. This was covered in grade school physics.

also https://www.webmd.com/balance/features/negative-ions-create-positive-vibes

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 20, 2021

azren
Feb 14, 2011

NullBlack posted:

Ions can be negative (anions) or positive (cations). The only thing they can't be is neutral. This was covered in grade school physics.

also https://www.webmd.com/balance/features/negative-ions-create-positive-vibes

I... only got taught that in 11th grade chemistry.

I promise I had good schooling, but sometimes I get startled by when people learn things.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The whole ions thing is part of that health woo that gets air ionizers/purifiers sold.

Which yeah they purify air but do so (at least the ones that actually do something and isnt just a blinkenbox full of LEDs) by generating ozone, which isnt great for people with asthma or other respiratory problems.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
yeah, looking at a more recent article (after the studies the first one was apparently waiting for), there's some health benefits from negative ions, but you're better with natural sources (rain, rivers, fountains, apparently just water in general) rather than "ion generators" (which either have negative side effects, do nothing, or both).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doctors prescribing new age "wellness"? Now that's some premium small town bullshit right there.

But the real crime here is selling a kitchen without a refrigerator.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gotz is a carpenter, not an appliance salesman. :colbert:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The pacing in this game, with time being so rapid inside and frozen outside threw me like crazy.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

The pacing in this game, with time being so rapid inside and frozen outside threw me like crazy.

I think you got that backwards?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

azren posted:

I think you got that backwards?

Yes

Yes I did.

The pacing in this game, with time being so rapid outside and frozen inside threw me like crazy.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Gotz is a carpenter, not an appliance salesman. :colbert:

I mean, he does sell the fridge in this game :shrug: just not the other appliances.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to close out a hefty first Spring. Next week, new season and a new friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I only just found out about this and I'm almost up to date, but one thing stuck out to me in the one I just watched after you bought the animals, it looks like they'll bring themselves back into the barns at 8 PM? So that would mean no having to build fences and worrying about stray dogs attacking them, that's kind of nice at least.