Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Finally, we've reached Summer and some personality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

And remember, the one who drops the bread in the fondue pot gets thrown into the river.

For those wondering, Sally is referring to Cheburashka I believe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheburashka

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 3, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've always found it baffling that they locked all the pets behind the pet shop, given that a)you have to unlock it b)it's a huge pain in the rear end to actually find a day it's open. At least have the classic dog show up like it used to so people can do the Fetch Fest with something. :argh:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Even though they tried to make Rick more handsome in his redesign I appreciate he still looks like an idiot doofus while yelling at Kai. I think in general I like almost all the redesigns except for probably Rick and Carter, though apparently given Carter's personality (which I didn't see much of in the original) this design fits him more than the fatherly figure he looked like before.

So what I always assumed about why Rick hates Kai (assuming he isn't just a racist) and is okay with you flirting with Popuri but not him (besides "you're the player character") is because of their father. It's mentioned that Lillia's husband left home to go look for a cure for her, and Rick doesn't seem happy with it. Since Kai only shows up in summer and is gone most of the year, I think he's mostly just worried that if Popuri and Kai got together, Kai would end up leaving her like their father left them.

It still doesn't make Rick good, but it at least gives him a motive for why he doesn't like Kai.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Even though they tried to make Rick more handsome in his redesign I appreciate he still looks like an idiot doofus while yelling at Kai. I think in general I like almost all the redesigns except for probably Rick and Carter, though apparently given Carter's personality (which I didn't see much of in the original) this design fits him more than the fatherly figure he looked like before.

So what I always assumed about why Rick hates Kai (assuming he isn't just a racist) and is okay with you flirting with Popuri but not him (besides "you're the player character") is because of their father. It's mentioned that Lillia's husband left home to go look for a cure for her, and Rick doesn't seem happy with it. Since Kai only shows up in summer and is gone most of the year, I think he's mostly just worried that if Popuri and Kai got together, Kai would end up leaving her like their father left them.

It still doesn't make Rick good, but it at least gives him a motive for why he doesn't like Kai.

That does justify Rick! You can then place blame on the writers/artists for making the sole black guy be on the receiving end of all that anger.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm pronouncing Van as the vehicle.

With some of the portraits its hard to shake the feeling that this whole thing is a bunch of children playing farm with supervision.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

a bunch of children playing farm with supervision.

You've basically just described the Harvest Sprites.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Twelve by Pies posted:

You've basically just described the Harvest Sprites.

Their point is that I don't have to supervise them though

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

In theory but you know if you don't check up on them there'll be one square that they didn't water from taking one too many union mandated jazz flute breaks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Who gave the idea of unions to the sprites? It's kneecap time :toughguy:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's less 'cockfighting' and more 'encouraged bullying', but still, woof.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

In the original FoMT placing a flower of the current season in the vase would help you recover either stamina or fatigue depending on what kind was put in it. I assume it does the same thing in the remake but since you're using the hot springs to restore everything before you sleep then yeah the vase is effectively worthless aside from looking nice.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's a reference to my first-look stream of the game. And also to this great piece of fanart by Brenna Okazaki:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 16, 2021

azren
Feb 14, 2011

"The Night Cow" just sounds so adorably sinister. For some reason it brought to mind the villain from the one episode of the Tick cartoon, "The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight." Probably because I'm a geek

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/when-herbivores-arent-poor-chicken-got-eaten-cow-180951115/

I think I actually found the video in question. Obvious :nws: warning for a cow eating a chicken.
But yeah, cows can eat meat but only in rare circumstances.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I didn't really get "he plans to scam Karen later" out of that Super Special Bargain Time scene. Felt more like "hey, player, this is the prettiest girl in town and all the guys want her" to me; might've been how Huang flat-out told you to go away so he could talk to Karen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There's also a different video of a cow (or at least something like a cow, I don't remember) just eating a pigeon or something while it grazes.

So you really don't even get to see your own cow in the festival?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CptWedgie posted:

I didn't really get "he plans to scam Karen later" out of that Super Special Bargain Time scene. Felt more like "hey, player, this is the prettiest girl in town and all the guys want her" to me; might've been how Huang flat-out told you to go away so he could talk to Karen.

Yeah, this was my impression. It felt much more like "I'm gonna be really nice to her so that she'll like me."

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I had to wear the cow suit because the relationship won't last if Marie doesn't know exactly what she's getting into.
Also included: a pretty good punchline to Summer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty sure Van is just buying stuff for himself and sending them to random people so they'll gift it back to Van.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Welcome to our first Fall, wherein I will flood the farm with crops

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

You mentioned the name weirdness and I'm reminded how that extends to the Pioneers of Olive Town DLC, where the draw is that you get new villagers/marriage candidates from three other games: the 2014 3DS game (just called Story of Seasons in English), Trio of Towns, and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. The description of the first two specifically mentions the games by name "New characters from Story of Seasons/Trio of Towns!" whereas the ANB pack says "a previous entry in the series/a previous 3DS title."

Also with Best being just assigned the ocarina without even being asked if she could play it, the only thing I could think of was this.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ThornBrain posted:

Welcome to our first Fall, wherein I will flood the farm with crops

Well of course pumpkins aren't a fall crop, you gotta sell your pumpkins before fall, before!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

A nice, hefty episode this week featuring an excess of crops, cooking, dates, horse race rigging, and Cliff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That marriage 101 feather did not look like a feather!!

I also don't think anybody ever has described the taste of cheesecake as "subtle."

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Another hefty part for the final third of Fall.
Rabbits: :barf:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Desperately need to see Van, Gotts, Harris, and Duke cram themselves into the same bed.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
That Slumber Party was absolutely hilarious, and that the game's dialogue agreed with the "Are you a coven?" question was just the icing on the cake.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I can't get over the fact that this videogame has you artificially inseminating your livestock.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AltaBrown posted:

I can't get over the fact that this videogame has you artificially inseminating your livestock.

They let you use the turkey baster but you still can't keep turkeys.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
For anyone watching who also enjoyed our Harvest Moon: Animal Parade LP back in 2017, I put together a Best Of compilation for it! Part 1 premieres at 12PM Pacific, 3PM Eastern, and Part 2 premieres on Wednesday, same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5LaHx94CJM

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
And now part 2 today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOw0Ht3JFUM

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The Animal Parade LP had some of the best Thorn/Skippy/Yami riffing ever, and these two videos have been a wonderful treat!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Returning to Friends of Mineral Town, we begin a very eventful Winter! Where I might have to start earning money honestly.
Right?
:buddy:

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Alexandrite actually does change colors between green in daylight and red in incandescent light in real life.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Carter is at least aware of the existence of the Harvest Sprites, since he mentions them in a conversation in the previous episode. He even seems to know they live behind the church, though he never actually says if he can see them or not.

Also the reason why diamonds aren't worth that much is obvious. De Beers doesn't exist in the SoS world and thus there isn't a monopoly on diamonds or the artificial scarcity that they created. Pink diamonds on the other hand are actually genuinely rare in the SoS world, which is why they're worth much more.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This is what everyone has been referring to when they talk about the golden lumber causing everyone to scream at you for flaunting your wealth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48gRrKAIVE

I never get tired of watching the endless torrent of abuse being hurled at the farmer at 6 AM. :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sasha seemed extremely angry at learning someone liked Jeff's paintings.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wedding and credits day! :love: :buddy: :love:
But don't go anywhere. We still have 8 more parts of the LP. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The water mill being used for feed storage makes a lot more sense from a usefulness angle than what BTN(and maybe the original FOMT? it's been so long since I've played either that I can't remember which things are exclusive to what) did with it - namely, let you mill corn into chicken feed. Which was more realistic, but a complete waste of time since chickens can eat for free 75% of the year and the feed is cheap enough that you're not going to sweat paying for the rest of it. I assume it's only in this version at all as a nod to that.

On a different note, as a kid I actually lost the horse when Barley came to evaluate it, since I'd put off getting a brush(which is one of two things that actually raises its affection in BTN, the other being whistling) for a while since a)little kid b)'well I can't do anything with it so I guess I'll just ignore it lol'. You can get another one by planting 200 squares of grass, at which point Barley shows up with another pony that you can keep with no strings attached.