Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

It is a lovely morning in the skies over Himmilgard and you are a horrible pilot. Join a squadron of equally horrible pilots in causing problems on purpose. Sometimes you get paid! Sometimes you fall in love! Sometimes you save the world! Mostly you get drunk and crash a primitive aircraft!

What is this thread, exactly?

This is a play-by-post implementation of Flying Circus. You will play pilots in the eponymous Circus, a mercenary squadron that wanders the land and generally works for the highest bidder.

What do I need to play?

The core book and associated supplementary materials are available on DriveThruRPG or itch.io. While many PbtA games are manageable for the PCs with just the playbooks, Flying Circus is not one of them. This is a complicated game with a lot of moving pieces and you will need the book as a reference. That said, plenty of help is available so don't be scared away by the crunch.

We have a thread here for questions and comments, haunted by the author herself!

What should I include with my character?

A completed playbook (I would prefer text in the thread but screenshots are fine too I guess.)
A picture of your pilot (optional)

Haven't you flaked out on running this game before?
Yeah. But it's like they say in Himmilgard: if at first you don't succeed, tri, tri a plane! :rimshot:

That's pretty much it to start with, I'd prefer to work out further details in a 'Session Zero' environment so I can make the players do all the work in a collaborative manner.

Company Roster:
  • Tricky as Lieselotte Katze, Wildleute Soldier. Flying: Theler Kobra MD.
  • Old Kentucky Shark as Hilda Wiedergänger, Stadter Survivor. Flying: Hugo’s Ganzmetall Wunderflugzeug!
  • Sathzur as Selig Sauer, Fischer Fischer. Flying: Teicher Möwe 13S-J.
  • Ningyou as Lilie, Bluhen (Wildleute?) Witch. Flying: Farman Living Grove.
  • Roman Reigns as Eloy Meier, Himmilvolk Farmer. Flying Ritter Cj Spatz.
  • Scruff McGruff as Hugo Schumacher, Stadter Student. Flying Gernsback Experiment 0012.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Lieselotte Katze, Wildleute Soldier

What is the military insignia of your holdout? What emotion does it inspire for you?

After the great war, a company took refuge in the great woods. You'll excuse me if I don't specify more with regards to the location. It is an operational secret. This company, the 3rd Aerial Cavalry 'Schwalbenschwanz,' took up with the Wildleute settlement near where they set up their airfields. There was... some intermingling, especially after the initial stresses of new neighbors shook out, and that is where my parents met. The company is proud, very proud, and it took extra effort for them to acknowledge my achievements. Significant amounts of effort. My... markings, were a reminder that they had lost. That they had fled. That they were no longer in their home.

Of course, you wanted to know about our insignia. I have drawn a copy for your review.

I still believe in it, even after all that's happened, but I will not rest until I have exacted the justice required by what occurred.

What rank did you hold? Did you earn it, or was it given to you?

Fahnenträger, a flag bearer. It is on the track for a full commission, though I was unable to secure my posting before I needed to leave the base. It is fair to say that I'd more than earned my position during that time, as well as to say that the delays inherent to the process were related to the aforementioned issue, but it does not behoove a soldier to question their leaders. Particularly not publically.

How were you harshly disciplined when you stepped out of line? What did you learn?

I questioned my commanding officer. Publically. There are... consequences, as you might imagine, and I drew the harshest I could imagine. There are parts, planes and weapons both, that can only be salvaged in the deepest parts of the forest where the fae run wild and hold court. I was not expected to return... and my return was not well received, either.

I learned then and there that I would never be good enough for my unit. Even a pristine engine wasn't enough to curry a modicum of favor.

What has to change before you would return home?

Well, the judging of physical qualities over competence and skill is certainly a part of it, but there is... something else. I was taught to fly by one Hauptmann Steinbock. He was something akin to a second father to me. While I love my family, it was he that saw my potential. He knew I could one day take his place in the squadron. I won't say that I loved him for it, but I respected him very much. I was serving as his attache when the betrayal occurred. The specifics of the operation are... immaterial. It was a job not unlike that which the Circuses take on.

What is material is that Major Wespe had cut a deal with the Goths. His plane led the entire flight into an ambush. There were... no survivors. I only know of the betrayal because I was working the radio at camp. I heard Hauptmann Steinbock's last moments. Those words are etched, indelibly, into my brain. I will carve them into Wespe's.

quote:

Name: Lieselotte Katze
Hometown: Classified, but it's near one of the fae-infested woods
People: Wildleute
Expectations: Female; proud, uncompromising; lean, fit, sharp gaze; a uniform, practical but bold.

Stats
Hard +3
Keen +0
Calm +2
Daring -2

Personal Moves
Stiff Upper Lip: Unless you are Stressed, attempts to Get Real with you automatically fail. You cannot initiate Get Real at all. The second time you Burn Out, cross out this move.

Marching Boots: Any group you’re in moves +1 Trek when you Explore the Wild, and you automatically score at least a Partial Hit on Seize the Initiative.

Steelheart: Even if you are Burnt Out, you can still fly. While Stressed, take +1 Results to Draw a Bead. While Burnt Out, take +2.

Last Mistake: When you’re suspicious of somebody and you keep an eye on them, get 1 Stress and hold 1. If they try to hurt you or your friends, spend that hold to kill them on the spot.

Dogfighter Mastery
Victories: Aircraft shot down, pilots surrendered, or probable kills.
Passive: Each move taken past the first adds a flat +4 Damage when you Open Fire at an Absolute Range of Knife.

Riding the Edge: Your plane counts as having +5 Handling, and you lose 1 fewer Speed overall when you Commit to the Turn (minimum 0).

Intimacy Move
In Shining Armour: When you hold someone close to you, hold 1. When they are in danger, spend that hold to arrive at their side. If you use this move in the air, when you spend the hold, your next Move is an automatic full hit, no dice required.

Character History
I was taught to fly by... a veteran, to replace them.
I left my home because I was... too independent and too opinionated.
I fly so I can... take revenge and be a hero.

Assets
A service rifle and bayonet.
A box of stick-bombs.
A clockwork Attendant and its key.

Baggage
A perfect dueling scar.
Tales of your regiment's last great battle.
The name of your old CO, who must pay.

Plane

Familiar Vices
Drinking
Dueling

Tricky fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 12, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I've been meaning to give this game a look, thinking about making a Survivor.

quote:

Name: Hilda the Wiedergänger
Hometown: Schrottlingen
People: Stadter
The Mask: military mask, rubberized suit, covered in tattered silk finery. Carries a battered autokassettenspieler, with a selection of vintage music spools.

Character History:
I was taught to fly by an old, instructional film.
I left my home because I was too lonely.
I fly so I can do more than survive.

Assets: A gas mask, a scrappy pet cat, improvised homemade armor, the location of valuable salvage

Baggage: A need to find the exits of every room, A little jump any time you’re addressed, A pathological need to avoid arguments.

Plane Hugo’s Ganzmetall Wunderflugzeug!

Vices: Drinking, Watching films

Questions:

*What was the nature of the gas that clung to your city? How was it a complex threat? Schrottlingen was a twice cursed city during the war; first, when it was occupied by the enemy and used as a munitions depot, and second, when it was bombed by its former allies. I was a child when the bombers started flying overhead, dropping their deadly payloads out of a bleak autumn sky. We never knew afterwards if the gas came from the bombs, or from the ensuing fire at the munitions factory near the harbor, but the choking, phosphorescent gas filled the streets all that day and sent pale, questing fingers into windows and basements all that night. Schrottlingen was in a low-lying river valley, and the gas, being heavier than air, refused to disperse. There seemed to be an endless supply of it. For months the wind would blow it from one end of the city to the other, sometimes catching the refugees as they tried to flee the city towards higher ground during the calm periods. The only absolute safety lay in the taller buildings, which rose like islands of calm amidst a deadly silver sea.

What did you eat? Where did you sleep? What resource was always scarce? That first winter of the gas, we ate canned food while we could, and when we could not, we ate unspeakable things. I lived in the upper floors of what had once been a grand hotel, along with a few dozen others that had rushed inside during the start of the bombing. When the winds blew our way we would send foraging parties into the kitchens and pantries, packing cans into a bucket on a rope in the mezzanine stairwell. Later some of the men threw ropes and built rickety ladder bridges to cross the street into the upper floors of nearby buildings. By the end of that winter, Schrottlingen had become an artificial tree village.

Water became the sole currency, and the buildings with rooftop cisterns became the heart of the community. The city's drinking water, we soon discovered, had become contaminated by the gas. The diluted gas didn't always kill; many who drank it became... changed. Within weeks after the bombing, people began to spot freakishly altered rats coming up from the gassed sewers; some were pale and boneless and could squeeze through key-holes, others had hundreds of legs, like a centipede. All of them were feral, and aggressive, and we climbed even higher to get away from them.

Who safeguarded you in your younger days? Auntie Muller looked after us children in those terrible years. She was not my real aunt, of course, but only a kindly old lady who loved children. Auntie Muller put on a school in the upper offices of a bank, reading to us from the few books that others managed to scavenge. When the weather grew warmer, she would put on movie nights; running a film projector, smuggled up from the bombed out cinema, and projected out onto a screen made of bed-sheets hung from the south face of what had once been city hall. All the survivors would crowd the windows of the north facing buildings to watch the flickering light show.

My favorite films were the ones about daring ace pilots; the irony that it was men and women like them who had brought the gas to our city was lost on my child's mind. It was after watching those movies that I build my first glider from scavenged parts, and used it to visit the parts of the city that weren't accessible by rope bridge, and scavenge food to bring back to the towers. And it was on one of those excursions that I discovered the broken down airplane that would eventually take me away from Schrottlingen forever.

quote:

Pronouns: She/Her

Masked: +1 Hard, +3 Keen, -2 Calm, +2 Daring
Unmasked: -3 Hard, +2 Keen, +2 Calm, +2 Daring

Personal Moves:

Masked: While you are wearing your mask, you are at Disadvantage to Get Real or Press the Issue. When you reveal a detail about the person under the mask, take 1 Stress. At 6, remove your mask in front of a comrade, and gain Comfort Object.

Comfort Object: When you are in a safe place, you may remove your mask. When you are not wearing your mask, whenever you Press the Issue, Get Real, or the first time you
talk to anyone new, roll 1d10+Progress. On a 1-8, you must put your mask back on, and suffer the Masked penalties. After each roll you make, mark 1 Progress.At 8 Progress, cross out your Core Moves & add +1 to all Attributes (max 5).

Expendable: While on Overwach you can choose to Take Fire for a comrade, giving them Advantage forward.

Tough it Out: You never pass out from Injury

Of Two Minds: Select a second statline from any playbook. While your mask is off, use that statline instead. When you increase a stat, the XP cost is halved, but you must also buy an advance for the other statline as well.

Intimacy move: Together: When you try to be intimate with others...
• If you only have Masked, it doesn’t happen.
• If you have Comfort Object, gain 1 Progress.
• If you’ve crossed both out, the participants all tell a secret about themselves and hold 1. These holds can be spent to reroll a move.
If you use the final move in the air, everyone gains 2 holds.

Bushwhack Mastery
Victories: Aircraft or balloons shot down.
Passive: Each move taken past the first gives a flat +2 Damage at all ranges

Ambush Predator: When you attack an aircraft which doesn’t know you are there, inflict double damage.
when you Open Fire.

I kind of want to fly the big metal plane, but I can't tell enough about the system to see whether that's a terrible idea or not.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 16, 2021

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

quote:

Name: Selig Sauer
Hometown: Regensee
People: Fischerfolk
Look: Masculine. Beyond pain and the fear of mortality. Robust tattooed body. Waterproof, concealing clothing, appropriate for your place in the community. Shark's teeth

Character history
I was taught to fly by a priest, to aid in ritual
I left my home because I was too faithful.
I fly so I can find my destiny.

Questions
How do your people dress and act to enforce a hierarchy?
Those who are closest to the Deep Ones wear a grey scarf wrapped around their lower face hiding their mouths and noses from all who look at them.

Who was the first person close to you who you lost to the sea?
The first person I lost to the sea was my older brother, Erroll, when a massive storm struck the fishing fleet and the balloon he was a crewmember on was the only one that sank.

Why do the patrons of the deep look out for you?
It is said that I will find a great treasure taken from the Deep Ones to where they cannot reach.

I will have to retrieve a relic of my people before I can even think of returning to Regensee.

Assets
A thick vest, blessed to ward off harm
A ritual filet knife.
A fishing spear, tipped in levithan bone

Baggage
Luminescent tattoos, recording your life.
A dark pearl, which whispers to you.

Plane: Teicher Möwe 13S-J
Used - Ragged (Reduce your Max Speed by 10%)

Familiar Vices: Prayer and music

quote:

Name: Selig Sauer (he/him)
Hard +0 Keen +2 Calm +3 Daring -2

Personal Moves
Creepy: When inlanders and apostates witness your faith’s practices or are confronted by your alienness, they must choose to Break Trust or take 1 Stress. NPC characters will be disturbed, offended, or overly curious. If a PC learns any Fisher moves, they negate this effect but gain Creepy.

Soul-Bound: When you paint a rune in blood on an aircraft, it gains twice your Calm in Handling. You take Stress when it runs out of Toughness, and Injury if the engine dies.

Deep Ones: When you call out to your patrons, they give +1 forward on your next roll.

Gifts from the Abyss: Your connection to the Deep Ones is physically changing you. Name the physically obvious mutation you have received and describe how it frightens or disgusts the unfaithful. It can be hidden, but not perfectly, and just seeing it will trigger Creepy. All XP advances now cost 1 less XP (minimum 1). {shark's teeth which invoke a primal fear in any who catch a glimpse of them}

Intimate Move
Suggestion: When you spend your time close with another, if you Trust one another, one person can lead the others in a trance, highlighting a stat for all of them. The entranced characters takes +2 to that stat, and -1 to another of their choice, until the leader ends it with a word or signal.

When you use this move in the air, choose 1: ignore the penalty, take a +3 instead of a +2, highlight two stats.

Bushwhack Mastery
Victories: Aircraft or balloons shot down
Passive: Each move taken gives +10% damage to aircraft weapons at all range bands.

Boom & Zoom: Count your G-Force as one lower for pilot penalties, and reduce your Energy Loss by 1 (minimum 1).

Sathzur fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 17, 2021

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

i am so excited to post a Flying Sadgirl

vaguely getting an idea for a witch?

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Oh, no. This looks really cool.

Well, I'll check out the books. If I manage to find some time, I'll definitely post an app.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

DeTosh posted:

Oh, no. This looks really cool.

Well, I'll check out the books. If I manage to find some time, I'll definitely post an app.

please do! apps will remain open indefinitely, because pilots die all the time.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I kind of want to fly the big metal plane, but I can't tell enough about the system to see whether that's a terrible idea or not.

Hugo’s Ganzmetall Wunderflugzeug! is perhaps most aptly described as a plane with a high skill floor. It's a terrible dogfighter and at first glance a rubbish energy fighter - poor handling, low speed, low boost, drop-off just above stall speed, low climb rate - but the high strain means you can pull off dive attacks very few planes can match and the good visibility helps with spotting aircraft far below you. So you can ambush and escape, but if you're caught at low altitude and/or low speed you'll probably get shot. Fortunately Hugo’s Ganzmetall Wunderflugzeug! is very hard to shoot down - an unlucky attacker could easily run out of ammo before meaningfully damaging the plane.

The Kreuzer Spinne V8 is more straightforward.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

i am [sorry/excited] to be back on my bullshit

quote:

Lilie, the Witch
Hard -1 | Keen -1 | Calm +1 | Daring +4 | Wild +2

hometown: Geholzblum
people: Bluhen (wildleute-adjacent plantfolk?)
expectations: woman; clever, brave, patient; caring of those who deserve it; unburdened by social expectations, yet feminine; skilled hands

I was taught to fly by a sister, so I could escape.
I left my home because I was too constrained.
I fly so I can see the larger world/find safety?

Assets:
a vial of pure spring water?
a jewelry-box containing sacred earth.
an elegant blade, which glows slightly.

Baggage:
an esoteric map to a mythical place

Plane:
living grove (used)

Vices:
hallucinogens
cannabis-refluffed-as-Weird-Drugs-Maybe? idk

in the depths of her hopelessness, our first foremother came here to sleep, and instead found herself in conversation with the Karminwald.

we are joyfully rooted to the soil and skies of our home, but even a grove as grand as ours needs nourishment.

The Bluhen are a people who blur the lines between flesh and flora. They've been blessed with long lives, sturdy constitutions, and a strange sort of beauty, but there's a catch. On a Bluhen girl's twenty-fifth birthday, the forest claims her as its own. To leave the Karminwald's embrace and cross the border into ordinary lands afterward is to wilt and wither away, awful and slow.

And of course, no one would ever *want* to leave. (Right?) But the garden must be tended and fed.

To those outside, a Bluhen bride is desirable, a perfectly-presented bouquet with just enough thorns to make things interesting. And the alliances and tithes secured by marriages -- before the bride's twenty-fifth, of course -- sustain everything else, allow their poppy-scented paradise to prosper. So it's everyone's duty, they're told, to make sure each new crop grows right. Not too loud, not too rough, not too brash, not too willful. Understanding of their obligations to never abandon their forest and their people, to do their part on the outside or maintain security on the inside.

quote:

how did the world of industry, the world of men, spurn or reject you?

First, they sold it to us as a grand bargain, a faerie's sense of fairness. The Karminwald has given you so much, so isn't it only fair that you give in turn? Isn't it reasonable, asking this one small thing of you?

They had so very little patience for any who wouldn't give back in the ways they wanted. Any who hoped for something different, any who even *talked* about seeing the outside. Any who strained against the delicate, presentable shape left by their pruning.

Then they sold it to us -- those of us still left, those of us less eager to take up arms, at least -- as something storybook. An adoring prince or princess to save you, to love you, to show you boundless kindness.

There is so very little kindness to be found in the hearts of those who would barter for you.

when you began learning magic, who guided you? what mistakes did you make?

Something in the forest whispered to me, a different voice than our teachers. ...I think it simply wanted to see what would happen?

i promised too much in return, grateful to simply have a friend, and my naivete stung.

it wove itself a shape out of vines and ruby sap, calling itself my sister, and no one seemed the wiser. and in the end, as she taught me how to escape, she said she simply wanted to see what would happen. her eyes and her voice told me all her words wouldn't.

to whom do you still owe a debt? what will you do if they come to collect?

I saw my betrothed only once. She was a bit like a deer -- skittish, unsteady, bottomless eyes wet with hope. She talked as though we were already married. (Because I was, wasn't I? They'd already committed aid, fed our forest. The ceremony in her homeland was a formality.)

I fled that night.

Sometimes I see her sad, starved face in my dreams. I wonder--I don't know. Perhaps she's just as much of a monster as the one Gretel was married off to, and I'll have to pen an annulment in blood and sap and thorns or simply run again. But sometimes....sometimes, I wonder if there's a kindred spirit under all the layers of froth and lace.

what has to change before you would return home?

I need to know that the forest has no hold on me. Assurances, protection, promises, something.

quote:

Personal Moves:
Bonded: When you invest yourself in a person, place, or thing, come to a consensus with the player most responsible for it (or the GM) about the Nature of that thing, and take 1 Stress. You may now use it in magic as a Focus. If a Focus is destroyed or lost, take another Stress. Start with a bond with yourself, your blood relatives, your existing lovers, and any elemental items you took as Assets.

Faerie Speak: When you show proper respect to the Fae, you can Press the Issue or Turn on the Charm rather than having to Parlay with the Strange.

Woods-Wise: When you exposit about flora, fauna, or fae, roll +Wild.
On a 16+, answer two. On an 11-15, answer one:
-What benefits it could provide
-what grave dangers it presents
-what will pacify it if needed.

Also, in nature, you may roll Explore the Wild +Wild instead of +Daring.

Out of Mind: When you shut off your engine or hide your face, you will pass unseen by anyone who hasn’t already spotted you.

Intimacy Move
Of Blood: When you share an intimate moment with someone, gain a bond of Blood with them, in addition to the bond you may already have. If you already have a bond, take +3 forward to use them as a Focus or target.

If you use this move in the air, the next time you use them as a Focus they are immune to the Injury they might take in the process.

i'll tidy this up and finish things today/tomorrow?

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 23, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Hugo’s Ganzmetall Wunderflugzeug! is perhaps most aptly described as a plane with a high skill floor. It's a terrible dogfighter and at first glance a rubbish energy fighter - poor handling, low speed, low boost, drop-off just above stall speed, low climb rate - but the high strain means you can pull off dive attacks very few planes can match and the good visibility helps with spotting aircraft far below you. So you can ambush and escape, but if you're caught at low altitude and/or low speed you'll probably get shot. Fortunately Hugo’s Ganzmetall Wunderflugzeug! is very hard to shoot down - an unlucky attacker could easily run out of ammo before meaningfully damaging the plane.

alright, screw it, I’m giving it a shot.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

OK, four is enough to get the ball rolling.

First things first: SAFETY TOOLS

Flying Circus p. 12 posted:

Flying Circus is a game for adults. It embraces a variety of adult themes and uses them to explore ideas surrounding identity, self-discovery, cultural histories, violence, and intimacy. It isn’t intended to be edgy or shocking, but to explore these themes in a textured and mature way. For more detail on how the game handles these issues, refer to page 290.

I respect that posters on SA are adults, but everyone has different levels of what they're comfortable with especially in a role-playing context. My instinct is to keep content around PG 13 - people are going to get shot and die, get drunk and do drugs, you might see a description of a boob or butt - but that's pretty broad. Please consider the following topics and highlight anything about them that especially bothers you so that we can know to steer clear of it (if you're not comfortable posting publicly about it please PM me.).

Culture, Race, & Identity

Violence & Death

Queerness, Sex, & Intimacy

Excess, Drinking, & Drug Use

Youth

In-game the Traffic Light system will be in play - communicate what works, what doesn't work, and what needs to stop immediately with me or other players. We're in this to have fun, not hurt each other.

TONE OF THE GAME

It's probably going to start relatively light and low stakes - drive off a bandit here, escort a cargo flight there. If people want it can get more serious. I've been thinking about a long campaign for fighting the Goths...but let's get one routine done first.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Forming a Company!

When play starts you're at 1500m and 140kph, so introductions might be tricky! Consider the following questions:
  • How did you all meet?
  • Why did you decide to form the company?
  • What is the purpose of the company?
  • What kind of missions do you specialize in?
  • Have you flown your first mission yet?
  • How is the company organized?
  • How is pay handled?

And post your thoughts on the answers.

Ah jeez, that might be a bit much in one hit. Let's start a little simpler.

Lieselotte, Hilda, Selig, Lilie:

How did you all meet?

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 16, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I think after Hilda escaped Schrottlingen, knowing only the things about the outside world that she learned from watching films, she would have sought out other pilots because that's literally the only point of reference she shares with anyone who didn't spend two decades living as a scavenger. It seems like everyone's backgrounds have a similar element of escaping from a weird, insular community that they can't return to, so maybe they just all met up while running away?

Hilda's trust move means that she basically trusts the first person who ever did anything nice for her, and no one else, so who wants to be best friends with a big, polite, awkward heavily armored girl and her mutant cat?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I think Lieselotte was probably hired on for a job that needed either a ground team, a trained dogfighter, or both. It went well enough that she's stuck around, even if she's had a hard time opening up to the rest of the circus.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Hilda was the first member of the company that Selig met when he had only just left his home to set out on his journey.

Selig's trust move means he only trusts people that his gods know, so which characters would be known to the Deep Ones?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Sathzur posted:

Selig's trust move means he only trusts people that his gods know, so which characters would be known to the Deep Ones?

That is completely up to Selig and entirely subjective, but some things to think about might be:
  • The Gods protect the souls of the dead - is that only the faithful dead, or are they all welcoming?
  • Are the Deep Ones jealous? if something else - the Fae, for instance - has touched a persons blood or soul does that bother them?
  • What do the Deep One think about those who kill for a living? What about those who fly for profane purposes?

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Okay, so Selig has a distrust of any people with a link to the Fae, so he'd distrust Lieselotte and Lilie. He sees the Fae as the opposite of his gods and is wary of any situation involving them.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

sorry for slow post it's been A Time a bit

Lilie's options are either 'distrust everyone who puts their faith in Modernity-adjacent things' or 'distrust the men' and the latter seems like it could be fun? Like her only point of reference for men is, uh....

(Maybe she's a little less distrustful of Selig/more curious 'cos he at least doesn't *look* like the princes her sisters were sometimes promised to, but...)

Idk if this works but I had an idea about like......maybe when she fled the forest, she flew right into the middle of the others' job and either ended up helping completely by accident or went 'oh somehow they seem like good people' and haphazardly Made A Contribution

and they found each other afterwards? (or maybe her plane was such a mess afterwards that she was very very easy to find.)

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 19, 2021

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Is it a different playbook per app or can there be, say, more than one Soldier in the company? I might be interested in playing, just trying to get some ideas together.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Roman Reigns posted:

Is it a different playbook per app or can there be, say, more than one Soldier in the company? I might be interested in playing, just trying to get some ideas together.

I'd prefer one of each playbook mostly for niche protection, but in theory different soldiers could play quite differently.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Ok trying my hand with a Farmer aka "Luke Skywalker but he smokes pot and hangs out with his dad"

quote:

Name: Eloy Meier
Pronouns: He/Him
Hometown: Wingendorf
People: Himmilvolk
Expectations: Masculine. Practical, humble. Robust, sun-kissed. Hard-wearing clothing.

Stats:
Hard 0
Keen -2
Calm +3
Daring +2

Character History:
I was taught to fly by my father, to tend to the farm.
I left my home because I was too restless.
I fly so I can find what was missing in my life.

quote:

Questions:

What kind of farm did you grow up on? What did you grow or raise?

Just a simple family farm, growing nothing but wheat. Easy money to be made there but the real awesome bit is it's where I honed my flying skills, once the old man allowed me to start crop dusting.

Who is your hero? How do you emulate them?

That would be my dad, Karl Meier. He was a war hero, y'know? At least that's what Mom says. She mentioned that he was some sort of top ace in the Gotha Empire and was kind of a big deal...but he never talked about it. Would always go quiet and ask me to leave him be whenever I brought it up. Thankfully, he got his old war buddy Gunther a job at the farm, and I usually can get stories from him about all the battles and death-defying stunts they pulled off in the war. Errr...at least after a bottle or two.

I mean, I didn't believe it for the longest time either. He was always so kicked back and lackadaisical about everything, unless it was work. With work he always busted his rear end and put everything into it (maybe even too much is what got him sick in the first place...). He was just a solid guy, y'know? Not anything you'd think a war hero would be made of.

I'm not sure how I do it, but Mom says I definitely take after my Dad. I always figured I was just being lazy and pushed myself to work to avoid getting into trouble. I honestly don't know if I have it in me to be a fighter pilot like my old man. But maybe...deep down...I know I do. And maybe that's I can't stay at the farm anymore.

What do you enjoy most about flying? Do you enjoy flying in combat?

Freedom, of course. To kick my feet off the ground and soar through a blue sky with the wind in my face...I imagine it's what heaven can be like, sometimes. And sometimes I honestly try to pretend I'm my old man fighting during the war.

Flying in actual combat, though? I'm not sure how I feel about it, honestly. I haven't done it yet so...I mean, I'm not naive about this. I know when I chose to follow this life that sooner or later it'll come down to violence, and I gotta the pull trigger on some poor bastard up there.

So I don't know...I guess we'll see.

I guess when I find whatever it is I'm looking for out there in the world. Whether it be in the sky or right here with my feet planted on the earth.

quote:

Assets
An antique shotgun or long hunting rifle.
A high-quality toolkit.
A close family friend as ground crew.

Baggage
The last words of your dying mentor.
A promise to return home safe.
A well-worn musical instrument.

Planes:
Ritter Model Cj ‘Spatz’ (Used)

Familiar Vices
Cannabis
Daydreaming

quote:

Intimacy Move

I Will Be With You, Always: When you hold those you care for close, they roll 4d10 and take the 2 highest when you Help them, ongoing as long as they Trust you.

If they’re an NPC, anything you do for them or help them with lets you roll 4d10 as well.

If you choose to Break Trust with one of these people, take 5 Stress.

If the Intimacy Move is used in the air, when you Help, you only take a hard move if both extra dice are 1s. A single 1 has no effect.

Personal Moves

Naive: You cannot try any unfamiliar Vices unless a comrade with that Vice as Familiar guides you through it. Guidance does not count as Help, and you must roll their Daring instead of yours.

Trust your Instincts: You get a new Mastery move every 3 marks.

One in a Million: Hold 1 each routine. When you let instinct guide an attack, with weapons or words, spend the hold for a perfect hit, right where you want it. If you target a person’s body, take 2 Stress. Then, you are left vulnerable from tunnel vision.

This Is Where The Fun Begins: After a flight, clear 1 Stress. If you didn’t fight, remove another.

Masteries:

Dogfighter Mastery

Passive: Each move taken past the first adds a flat +4 Damage when you Open Fire at an Absolute Range of Knife

Riding the Edge: Your plane counts as having +5 Handling, and you lose 1 fewer Speed overall when you Commit to the Turn (minimum 0)

Other Moves & Notes

Why Didn’t You Tell Me?:When you discover your true heritage, you may switch to the Scion playbook. If you reject it instead, take 15 XP.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 25, 2021

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

My trust question is: Do you find Lieselotte intimidating?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ningyou posted:

Idk if this works but I had an idea about like......maybe when she fled the forest, she flew right into the middle of the others' job and either ended up helping completely by accident or went 'oh somehow they seem like good people' and haphazardly Made A Contribution

and they found each other afterwards? (or maybe her plane was such a mess afterwards that she was very very easy to find.)
We’re a pretty motley crew, so maybe we all just crashed into one another.

Tricky posted:

The only thing Hilda finds intimidating is the threat of genuine human intimacy, and spiders.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Tricky posted:

yes gosh bully me

Maybe not? I think she associates fastidious military dress and bearing with the cruelty and callousness of nobles looking for Plant Wife's, but I think Lilie sees something wild in Lieselotte that reminds her of the thing in the forest, and maybe there's this sense of 'well i should watch my words with you, but forest folk don't have the same appetite for cruelty as the ordinary nobility, so maybe you're safe?'

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

Tricky posted:

Selig doesn't see Lieselotte as someone to be intimidated by.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
If there's still room I'd love to give this a try. I bought it when 1.0 released but I know there's pretty much zero chance of getting any of my DnD groups to give it a try. Looking to run a Student (Medical/Engineer).

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

OK, extrapolating a little:

• You met by chance, in the air or on the ground.
  • You've banded together for company and mutual protection in the face of an uncaring world.
  • You may not have flown any actual missions?
  • You're not an established company, with no specialization.
  • Maybe you haven't worked out a corporate structure or pay schemes yet?

Which is all fine.

Scruff McGruff posted:

If there's still room I'd love to give this a try. I bought it when 1.0 released but I know there's pretty much zero chance of getting any of my DnD groups to give it a try. Looking to run a Student (Medical/Engineer).

Please do! I still don't have a firm date for the first routine to start, but at least a week.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

(Assuming Eloy is joining...)

Establishing our base and how we all got together, maybe Eloy hears from his friend and father's war buddy Gunther about a mercenary company within driving distance of the farm. Arriving there he finds the company's been long since defunct, but they left an abandoned base and hangar semi-intact with some supplies. Eloy decides he needs to start somewhere and starts the process of moving himself, his plane, and whatever he can think of to the base.

Maybe driving back in his truck, he comes across some of our stragglers here on the way? Or maybe the base is known enough that the other pilots have the same idea of joining/moving over.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Tricky posted:

Being raised by an ex-soldier and friends with another, Eloy probably wouldn't be intimidated by Lieselotte and instead would be respectful of her. Definitely one of those "thank you for your service" types, even if he doesn't know what group Lieselotte is associated with.

For Eloy's Trust move

quote:

Ask the other players: Who among you judged me harshly for my inexperience or naivete, and how did you show it? Distrust those people, and trust everyone else.

Alright so who among you thinks I'm a wiener

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 30, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Ok, running a tinkerer student, specializing in Engineering and Medicine

quote:

Name: Hugo Schumacher, 25, Student
Pronouns: He/Him
School: Steinfurth
People: Stadter
Expectations: Masculine, gangly, awkward, ADHD, unkempt, tinkerer, wears utilitarian clothes: coveralls, gloves, apron, working/welding goggles

Character History: From a young age I was fascinated by anything mechanical and was constantly attempting to understand how objects of the world work (both mechanical and biological). I was eventually able to attend the Steinfurth Academy studying Engineering and Medicine where I was taught to fly by a physics professor in a classroom. It's a school I love because it's so progressive in both its facilities and it's philosophies. I'm pursuing my thesis so that I can challenge myself, putting my theoretical mechanical and medical knowledge to the test in a practical environment likely in need of both.

Questions:
-Did you seek out your school and education or were you born there?
I sought out my school knowing that it would be the best place to push the cutting edge technology and ideas rather than focusing on refining existing principles.
-How do the professors abuse their power?
The professors tend to appropriate their students' work as their own, using those breakthroughs and accomplishments to burnish their own reputations.
-To whom are you deeply in debt for your education?
I'm in debt to a wealthy industrialist who identified my talents when I was young and agreed to pay for my schooling if I work off that debt as an engineer/mechanic for his company after I finish my dissertaion. This also means I'm in no great rush to finish...

Stats:
Hard: 0 | Keen: -2 | Calm: +2 | Daring: +2

Assets:
-A set of high-quality engineering tools
-A collection of useful reference books
-Sterile and cutting edge medical tools

Baggage:
-Crippling Debt
-Extensive and updated world maps
-A set of blueprints for something special

Plane:
-Gernsback Experiment 0012 (used)

Vices:
-Procrastination
-Caffeine
-Napping

Intimacy Move:
Curiosity
When you put aside your work for somebody, each of you asks another a personal question. You do not need to answer, or answer honestly, but each question answered honestly gives everyone 1 XP. Nobody can be asked more than one question.

*If you use this move in the air, anyone who is honest gets +1 XP.

Skills:
pre:
	Physical Education: 0    |	Arts & Literature: 0
	Clinical Psychology: 0   |	Engineering: 3
	Politics & Law: 0          |	History & Mythology: 0
	Biology & Medicine: 2    | 	Economics & Business: 0

Personal Moves:
Thesis
Once per routine, if you give up on something the rest of the team is doing to work on your Dissertation, mark 1 Stress and tally 1 for Dissertation Progress. When you present your thesis, roll 2d10+Progress. On a 16+, you may choose to retire to academia as your Destiny. Your comrades can all use your Skills for rolls, providing they can contact you. Otherwise, erase all your Dissertation progress.
Tinkerer
When you create something (a contract, a map, a weapon, an engine) or fix something (a machine, a law, a person), state how it should work and roll +Calm. On a hit, it works. 16+, choose 1: accept a limitation or complication from the GM, or pay extra to get it to work right. On an 11-15, take both.

Sharpshooter Mastery
Passive: Each move taken past the first adds a flat +4 Damage when you Open Fire at an Absolute Range of Knife.
-Metal or Meat
When you Draw a Bead, the Open Fire +Calm result can be taken for free, in addition to other results you qualify for.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 31, 2021

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

Roman Reigns posted:

Ask the other players: Who among you judged me harshly for my inexperience or naivete, and how did you show it? Distrust those people, and trust everyone else.

Selig sees Eloy as a kindred spirit as both are searching for something.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Aside from hearing stories and tales, Eloy doesn't have any ties to the Fae, so Selig would trust him.

Anyone friend(s) with Hilda already? If not, maybe Eloy saves her mutant cat from a nasty predator with his old but still accurate lever-action hunting rifle.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

Anyone friend(s) with Hilda already? If not, maybe Eloy saves her mutant cat from a nasty predator with his old but still accurate lever-action hunting rifle.

That works for me. Hilda loves her evil-eyed mutant cat.

I don't think Hilda would judge Eloy harshly for being naive; she's mostly just resigned to everyone else being crazy profligate fools who take things like breathable air and edible food for granted, and it's not really polite to keep mentioning it all the time.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

OK, got a company sheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TY6i0OIJcPslVa8bcbykGSIKCnyGkiXpWpwDyED-SJ8/edit?usp=sharing courtesy of ClockworkOwl from the Flying Circus discord. I tacked on a Trust matrix, it's the bit that's ugly and sucks.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

OK, got a company sheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TY6i0OIJcPslVa8bcbykGSIKCnyGkiXpWpwDyED-SJ8/edit?usp=sharing courtesy of ClockworkOwl from the Flying Circus discord. I tacked on a Trust matrix, it's the bit that's ugly and sucks.

if we can finalize trust that would be great

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

if we can finalize trust that would be great

oh jeez, yeah, I should do that.

edit: I guess I would attempt to ask each pilot about the manufacturer history for each of their aircraft and leave it to them to decide if their pilot would care enough about that to have sufficient knowledge of it to satisfy my curiosity? Would that work?

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 9, 2021

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

edit: I guess I would attempt to ask each pilot about the manufacturer history for each of their aircraft and leave it to them to decide if their pilot would care enough about that to have sufficient knowledge of it to satisfy my curiosity? Would that work?

Eloy definitely would have that knowledge of his aircraft, so you can trust him.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Scruff McGruff posted:

Hilda's plane is an obscure, ungainly, and antiquated all-metal limited run wunderweapon, looted from a gas-choked display showroom in a bombed out city, so I'd say it would have the kind of pedigree that would interest Hugo.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Sorry! Yesterday was a medical emergencies and panickycrying kind of day so i'm only just now picking up the pieces. :ohdear: I added mine in!

Scruff McGruff posted:

Lilie would probably huff a little and insist that it wasn't manufactured, it was a gift grown by someone important? She knows next to nothing about whatever salvaged parts were used as a starting point, but she could go on for hours about the growths and strange flowers used to mend its wings and patch its holes.

So I guess.....maybe? Unless it'd be more fun to not trust her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Just need to know if Lillie & Hugo thinks Eloy's naivete is a problem and I should have my Trust filled out.