Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i bought this game and outside of the slightly moved around interface i can not actually discern any difference between this game and CoE4 so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

i bought this game and outside of the slightly moved around interface i can not actually discern any difference between this game and CoE4 so far

The non-Elysium planes have been expanded quite a bit including the addition of four entirely new ones, ports can recruit boats which let any armyhuman-sized unit travel by sea, and there's a lot more flexibility available to modders. Those are the only really major changes but there are smaller things like 3 new factions, new rituals/units for existing factions, different theme music for every class

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 3, 2021

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Can ant queens can spawn without a scourge lord? 4 AIs, two are dead and none of them where a scourge lord, the other two are a high priestess and an unkown, but it is on the other side of the map from where the ants seems to be coming from.

I have never actually had an antpocalypse before, so no idea how feasible it is to continue. On a positive note the anthills give one(1) fungi atleast! :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Noir89 posted:

Can ant queens can spawn without a scourge lord? 4 AIs, two are dead and none of them where a scourge lord, the other two are a high priestess and an unkown, but it is on the other side of the map from where the ants seems to be coming from.

I have never actually had an antpocalypse before, so no idea how feasible it is to continue. On a positive note the anthills give one(1) fungi atleast! :v:

I think the thing with the Scourge Lord is that he just corrupts ants that already exist to make Scourge Ants? There should be perfectly normal ants around even without a S. Lord in play.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Scourge lords have a chance to get a corrupted ant queen as a summon, who will then try to found a colony, those can spawn new queens and so on. Independent ant nests are there at the beginning of the game and also spawn ant queens, which is why they can end up covering the map if left alone.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, I have literally never run into them before and have played tons of games since release, I love how much poo poo there is in this game! :D

edit: Natural ant queens and anthills, normal Giant Ants I see every game of course!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Sounds like the ants should be a faction.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Repost from the Dom5 thread because I am a dumb and got confused about which thread I was posting in:

Huh. I've been finally making some progress as an Enchanter, but now an Infernal portal has opened up in the Far East of the map and is slowly flooding the world with evil demons.

Meanwhile, I can't do anything because I've expanded too far and all my armies are stuck whacking down random indies wandering into my territory. Well, well. Let's see where this goes. The question is: Can I get some new armies up in time before the demons get here? :getin:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Friend found New Empire's capitol. It's being ruled by a Malefic Kaiser, a hoburg ghoul with a crown and fancy cape. The scribe writing unit descriptions says that this is perfectly fine because new coinage has his face, as is right and proper.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well if he bothered to actually mint and distribute a new set of coins, that puts him above a lot of petty tyrants. Mints are hard.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes this game just wants to kick you in the nuts. Felt I needed a break from the hellwar against the ants so tried a new Witch game with more AI. Like 20 turns in some Mad Cultists stumble upon the inferno gate...Right next door to me!

But there is an ocean in the way, so I should be safe.

Except there was a land bridge just north my of vision and 5 roaming demon stacks show up and home in straight for my tower. First wave was an Ice Devil and some ice that my garrison managed to kill, only loosing an archer. Second wave is 10+ hellhounds and a devil that proceeded to burn away every poor archer on the walls. I guess it was mercifully short at least! :v:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Something kept uncapping the pyramids by my base and long story short we all got slaughtered by phase spiders

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

^^ - Lol

I would rather be a guardsman in WH40k than a spearman in this hellworld called Elysium. It's like a 50/50% chance if you get mauled horribly by some entity from beyond the stars or you get melted into sludge by the dipshit mage hiding in the back that pressganged you into service in the first place(without pay). Oh the enemy have 200 soldiers and I have 250? Better cast earthquake!

edit: I just watched a swamp ghost murder three of my own dudes, on after another, screaming at a gate.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's worth noting that the druid is actually classed in game as being more evil than the demonologist since he sells people out to the wildlife versus the guy who binds demon lords to kill those stupid deer.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Considering my enchanters keep destroying entire forests, lakes and swamps to fuel their war machine, I feel like I'm part of the problem

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Libluini posted:

Considering my enchanters keep destroying entire forests, lakes and swamps to fuel their war machine, I feel like I'm part of the problem

Nature can never kill you if there is no more nature.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Prism posted:

Nature can never kill you if there is no more nature.

Hear, hear. On that note, Warlock might become my favorite class since the fire kings set everything on fire by just moving into it, which is great for resource denial against druids and dryad queens, not to mention speeding up travel. Meanwhile, air warlock gets their own freespawn with Perpetual storm, and you can cast multiples. Be careful if you summon fire giants though since they turn every tile they move in into desert, which erased the right half of the infernal capital before I noticed.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Luck works against anything so get lucky or take 1-999 dmg.

e: ngl the Champion of X spells that CoE has is exactly what would make thugging in dominions fun

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 3, 2021

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

FrenchBen posted:

Hear, hear. On that note, Warlock might become my favorite class since the fire kings set everything on fire by just moving into it, which is great for resource denial against druids and dryad queens, not to mention speeding up travel. Meanwhile, air warlock gets their own freespawn with Perpetual storm, and you can cast multiples. Be careful if you summon fire giants though since they turn every tile they move in into desert, which erased the right half of the infernal capital before I noticed.

One of the things you need to be aware of when burning down stuff as warlock is that ancient forests can be converted into a fire gem spawner that also ruins them forever, but only if you don't burn them down the regular way first.

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

Grevling posted:

Scourge lords have a chance to get a corrupted ant queen as a summon, who will then try to found a colony, those can spawn new queens and so on. Independent ant nests are there at the beginning of the game and also spawn ant queens, which is why they can end up covering the map if left alone.

This can cause the eternal ant hellwar

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

In most strategy games autonomous units of your faction are annoying, but there's something I like about using a faction with autonomous spawns in the CoE series and I'm not entirely sure why. It's just satisfying somehow.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love the whole 'we developed this military tech because of the wildlife' stuff in the basic human unit descriptions.

And the Senator units are one long series of jokes about how stupidly devoted to bureaucracy the empire remnants are, to the point of never changing their units after centuries.

And the Dryad Queen unit descriptions are written by male centaurs so mysoginist and imperialist that the dryad queen looks more like queen victoria.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cloud lord has my new favorite unit descriptions. according to dipshit scholar guy airya archers are so stupid they often drown in the rain like turkeys

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
This remains my favorite description.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Are there any plans to make something for CoE like the Dominions Mod Inspector? Because with all the units, spells, items, and more, this game feels like it needs it even more than Dominions does since at least in the case of Dom5 you can always just go play the game to check since stuff isn't (nearly as) randomized.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

NewMars posted:

One of the things you need to be aware of when burning down stuff as warlock is that ancient forests can be converted into a fire gem spawner that also ruins them forever, but only if you don't burn them down the regular way first.

Yeah, saw that ritual a bit too late as there were two ancient forests left on the map by the time I found out. Oh well, turning every hill into a volcano does give a ton of fire gems anyways

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
OMFG I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY A VIABLE DRYAD/DWARF COMBO GAME.

I have started 5 new games and each one stuck my team on a frozen northern peninsula, usually trapped by a troll bridge I cant cross with my starting army.

Last two games they failed to generate at the trimming stage.

No real contribution to the conversation, I just wanted to bitch.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Dwarf Queen is loving excellent with a northern start, none of their units give a poo poo about snow. 3-cost movement in forests sucks rear end for Dryad Queen though :v:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
To follow up on my earlier bitching, I found out dwarf worker selection for promitions is completely randomized.

Summoned a Rune Smith and it chose a feebleminded and blind dwarf worker. That was a reload.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Summoned a Rune Smith and it chose a feebleminded and blind dwarf worker. That was a reload.

lmao that rules

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

To follow up on my earlier bitching, I found out dwarf worker selection for promitions is completely randomized.

We really need a "That's Illwinter, folks!"-type of smiley, like we have for other companies. :allears:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Libluini posted:

We really need a "That's Illwinter, folks!"-type of smiley, like we have for other companies. :allears:

A little bit after the Rune Smith debacle I promoted two blind workers into dwarven ballista.

Frankly I think the unit descriptions need to reflect this phenomena.

"Promotion to new dwarven castes is a ritual that makes sense only to the enigmatic rock chewers. A drooling simpleton can be selected to become a Rune Smith, leading to magic as powerful as a common peasant, while an armless worker was given a two handed battle axe and made into a warrior. One blind dwarf was given command of a ballista which led to a number of gruesome dwarven pin cushions.

Dwarf society is evolving it seems, as there have been reports of dwarven commanders quietly gathering invalid dwarves and taking them outside the home caves until the promotion ceremonies are over."

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

What even is a dwarf? We may never know.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Decrepus posted:

What even is a dwarf? We may never know.

Apparently a sort of ant. Or possibly an undersized olm.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Dwarf queen is the first time I've been able to make any headway in this game after bouncing off of CoE4. And dwarves are absolutely bipedal ants in this context.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pretty sure they're some kind of fungus

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Finally got back into the Witch vs Ants game and finally managed to push them back! There is not an unending flood of ants coming from the south so I don't think there are that many nests left, even ran into a few AI stacks! In the middle of pushing them into the eastern sea, some cultists managed to stumble into the inferno gate.

Luckily I had a hag with 3 different Old Gods and ton of normal summons within range so I shut that poo poo down fast. I have 5 Witches with large armies, 3 of them are Hags, 1 Mother of Monsters doing her thing and two manflayers using up my hands so in-field reinforcements are no problem. Still MVP goes to my mortal medusa, she acted as a fast interceptor all by herself for years up in the north, murdering over 300 ants before they finally got her, RIP.

Now in before a stray deer or worse, Disposessed Spirit, starts decapping all the anthills in my backlines :v:.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Witch is one of the scariest all-comers armies in lategame, simply because she has a really good mix of extremely tanky summons, regenerating summons, assassination attacks, extremely strong spells, access to an immortal main commander (!), and hordes of expendable chaff. She only seems to have trouble against enemies that are heavily poison immune and absolute assbeaters against massed units and big juggernauts alike (late Necromancer), or that are simply unstoppable in general (late Warlock).

I just finished a really good game myself as Druid. I didn't realize how baller that faction could be. Rush ancient forests, spam the Heart of the Forest and freespawn rituals to passively capture and defend forest nodes, do mid-level summons until you get a Sacred Moose to turn all your freespawned/charmed animals primal, and then work towards getting a fully promoted druid and filling out their top-level rituals. At that point you can calmly teleport between ancient forests, causing them to constantly freespawn Shepherds (Stupid, forest-stealthy roaming ents that continuously passively animate trees in combat and can calmly rip most independents to shreds) and occasionally summoning Beholders and other nightmarish multicasting commanders, all while your secondary armies endlessly scoop up free animal troops and scout around for enemy armies/citadels to drop your mage-heavy doomstack on. Plus you have constant vision of half the goddamn map due to all the flagged forest tiles.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If she's got hordes of expendable chaff sounds like it's time to park a pile of them on all the anthills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
After accidentally pathing the Pale One King of the Deep (somehow still alive and magically equipped) off the edge of Elysium and into the void, I ragequit.

Finally turning on auto save and renaming, because gently caress pathing into the abyss because Illwinter didn’t think you might prefer to stay on the same plane of existence.

Hopefully I’ll be back to enjoying the game tomorrow AND be more regular in manually saving.