Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ditto, the blackout should be 24/7. Televised football should be Match of the Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Otoh, football should be free to watch on TV, gently caress Sky and BT

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I could go for - you can only watch football in the ground or a pub ( no fan parks)

Cup finals allowed on the BBC.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
should be illegal punishable by jail time + addition to a football offender registry to attend OR WATCH a football game played in a stadium that is not the mathematically closest stadium to your parents registered address at time of your birth, imo

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

fwiw the main argument in favour of the 3pm blackout is not that Old Trafford is suddenly going to be half-full if you put the games on TV, it's the worry that people would sack off lower-league football to watch Arsenal vs Norwich (if you can get someone to charge you £4 for a pie and to soak the very foundation of your house with the scent of urine, it's about the same)

of course, you could just have all of your Premier League games on a Sunday and let you pick the one you want to watch, but that's some Tomorrow's World poo poo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Insurrectionist posted:

should be illegal punishable by jail time + addition to a football offender registry to attend OR WATCH a football game played in a stadium that is not the mathematically closest stadium to your parents registered address at time of your birth, imo

As I was born in Mile End (closest ground Upton Park) but my parents lived in Wapping which is slightly closer to the Den (geographically, obviously the Thames represents a Grand Canyon-size psychological chasm between them) I need to suggest a couple of improvements to what is otherwise a fine plan.

Also the closest stadiums to both where I was born and where my parents lived have both now been demolished, what's the ruling there? There's gonna be a lot of people in Romford extremely annoyed they now have to go to Brisbane Road now that the Boleyn is gone.

e: Huh, Mile End is *also* closer to the Den than Upton Park (although it is closer to Stratford than either). Also the Valley is also closer to Wapping than Upton Park, TIL.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 11, 2021

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also the closest stadiums to both where I was born and where my parents lived have both now been demolished, what's the ruling there? There's gonna be a lot of people in Romford extremely annoyed they now have to go to Brisbane Road now that the Boleyn is gone.

I'm sorry but I'm afraid you will have to turn in your football card. Have you considered rugby or some horse sport?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm sorry but I'm afraid you will have to turn in your football card. Have you considered rugby or some horse sport?

My nearest cricket ground is Lords and I'm sure they won't let me in there, and the only horse anything near me is Bow nick where they keep the police horses.

Playing around with the "old stadium" rule I've just arbitrarily decided applies - Hermit Road, where Thames Ironworks played, is *very slightly* closer to Mile End than Millwall Park, where Millwall first played. Phew.

Also all Charlton fans now support Arsenal, thems the breaks.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

:getout:

You cannot force me to watch Raith Rovers.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some sacrifices must be made

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

fwiw the main argument in favour of the 3pm blackout is not that Old Trafford is suddenly going to be half-full if you put the games on TV, it's the worry that people would sack off lower-league football to watch Arsenal vs Norwich (if you can get someone to charge you £4 for a pie and to soak the very foundation of your house with the scent of urine, it's about the same)

of course, you could just have all of your Premier League games on a Sunday and let you pick the one you want to watch, but that's some Tomorrow's World poo poo

I know but I feel the ease and prevalence of illegal streams shows that's not true. People go to their local team because they enjoy it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jose posted:

I know but I feel the ease and prevalence of illegal streams shows that's not true. People go to their local team because they enjoy it

True but I bet there's a lot of old lads with no idea about the possibilities of streaming who'd watch on sky sports if they could.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Banner day for Ron.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

congratulations, TyChan, you're getting noticed: The Cold World of the Extremely Online Liverpool Fan

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That bit about people who spend all their time consuming something but get no joy out of it is pretty astute.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

quote:

Club doctor, Dr Jim Moxon – who, along with first-team physiotherapist Chris Morgan, was first on the pitch to treat the midfielder – explained: “Harvey sustained a fracture dislocation of his left ankle during the game.

That sounds pretty awful

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My nearest cricket ground is Lords and I'm sure they won't let me in there, and the only horse anything near me is Bow nick where they keep the police horses.

Playing around with the "old stadium" rule I've just arbitrarily decided applies - Hermit Road, where Thames Ironworks played, is *very slightly* closer to Mile End than Millwall Park, where Millwall first played. Phew.

Thames FC?

Denashes
Jul 20, 2001

Buenos dias, children.
D

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
bad news everyone

quote:

The Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has been urged to stick to team matters after sparking another debate about attendances at the Etihad Stadium.

Guardiola called on supporters to turn out in force for the champions’ Premier League fixture with Southampton on Saturday in a TV interview following Wednesday’s victory over RB Leipzig. His unprompted comments may have been well-intentioned, but they have irked some City fans who feel they have led to an unfair questioning of their loyalty.

“I would like more people to come to the next game on Saturday,” Guardiola told BT Sport after the 6-3 win, which attracted a crowd of 38,062. “We will need the people next Saturday, please, because we will be tired. I invite all our people to come next Saturday, 3pm, and watch the game.”

My new friends from the middle east are telling me that posting 'emptihad lol' is actually an attack on fans and now a probatable offence, im sorry

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Badfester lovely: Unable to Fill the Emptihad.

:blaster:Scathing personal attack. Southampton has already won the war.:blastback:

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 16, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

biglads posted:

Thames FC?

Nah they were over in Custom House, but Clapton Orient *might* have been closer depending on exactly where on Homerton High Street their ground was (I suspect right over at the eastern edge by Hackney Marshes but daren't look because Brisbane Road is the most irritating ground in the country and I refuse to pay money to enter a stadium where they've not managed to fix the position of the club name after a hundred bloody years).

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

bad news everyone

My new friends from the middle east are telling me that posting 'emptihad lol' is actually an attack on fans and now a probatable offence, im sorry

lmao

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

They give loads of tickets away and still can't fill the place.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why aren't people attending City's CL games anyway? CL games are usually pretty good. Surprised the supporters aren't getting in on them.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Are city's ticket prices insane or is it just a case of supporter apathy

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Gigi Galli posted:

A lot of City fans don't like UEFA/Champions League, I think. They have booed the CL anthem before.

Rememer this gem?

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Gigi Galli posted:

City actually have the cheapest tickets in the Prem lmao

Relative lack of supporters is definitely a big part of it, another part of it is a newfangled phone-based ticketing system they've implemented that makes it a) harder to transfer tickets and b) harder to understand by the olds actually living in Manchester who make up the local fanbase.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mickolution posted:

A lot of City fans don't like UEFA/Champions League, I think. They have booed the CL anthem before.

Rememer this gem?

As if City need external help to gently caress up in the CL

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Why aren't people attending City's CL games anyway? CL games are usually pretty good. Surprised the supporters aren't getting in on them.

They don't have many fans, OP

Izzhov posted:

City actually have the cheapest tickets in the Prem lmao

And they give them away by the bucketload, and still cant fill the stadium.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mickolution posted:

Rememer this gem?

Where were you when we were poo poo?

You weren't in Europe so UEFA didn't care about you, obviously.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

city fans throw a tantrum every time they remember that uefa don't bend over backwards for them to financially dope their way to winning the CL every season

edit: and i say this as if uefa actually stopped them, lol - they've basically gotten away with buying the cup but they refuse to actually finish the job

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
It'll never happen, but this would be hillarious

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1438845470202335237

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the sun shines on a bald fraud twice a day

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Man City Supporter's Club General Secretary Kevin Parker: "Thanks to a bit of football tribalism our stadium is well known as the 'Emptihad', but the reality is our support is very good.. we're more hardcore and local. We certainly don't have 4000 tourists every game like Man Utd/Liverpool."

cucking myself to own the prem

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
'im not owned!!' I cry as I shrink and transform into an empty seat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if pep wanted more people in the stadium maybe he should suggest to the owners who have unlimited money that they lower prices

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

if pep wanted more people in the stadium maybe he should suggest to the owners who have unlimited money that they lower prices

They literally already give away thousands if not tens of thousands of tickets every game lmao

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
"We certainly don't have 4000 tourists every game like Man Utd/Liverpool."

yes, we agree that people don't come to your games

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Massively bloated contracts, buying up all the superstars, having to basically pay people to turn up. Manchester City are the WCW of football *everything goes black and white and pep comes out doing air guitar*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

the sex ghost posted:

Massively bloated contracts, buying up all the superstars, having to basically pay people to turn up. Manchester City are the WCW of football *everything goes black and white and pep comes out doing air guitar*

New World Frauder