Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

What is this?

The Conquest of Elysium series is the sister series of perennial goon favorite Dominions, the flagship products of the lovable pair of misfit Swedes known as Illwinter Game Design. It may not look like much, but what it lacks in aesthetics it makes up for by being annoying, arbitrary, and unbalanced.

Honestly it's not so much a game so much as it is a random bullshit generator. If it took itself seriously it would probably just be obnoxious and not worth anyone's time, but Illwinter is fully aware that this is the dumb game where deer randomly murder your militia and lean into the goofiness of it all. It's still very much an acquired taste, but can be amusing to gently caress around in.

Any other questions you may have about the game will definitely not be answered by the breathtaking trailer.

What's new in CoE 5?

The previous game literally expanded the CoE universe by adding several extra dimensions that you could travel to. CoE5 fleshes out some of the existing planes and adds several new ones, most of which are largely pointless except as places for various summons to hang around until they're brought into play.

This time around there are boats, allowing factions that don't have naturally amphibious units to explore the oceans (and possibly beyond.)

Also, you can now occasionally buy random magic items, making it much easier to get your hands on special equipment. Mercenary troop offers are also more common and scale with the number of towns you control.

The UI has also been rearranged and slightly improved, with new features like autorecruit and a "battle reports" option that gives you a Dominions-style start-of-turn summary that lets you view battles at your leisure.

There are also three new factions: Kobolds (D&D-style), Cloud Lord (Caelum knockoffs), and Scourge Lord (Dark Sun defilers with... unique fluff.)

How will this LP be run?

I will be showing off screenshot summaries of several playthroughs to show off a good portion of the game. I do ask that readers please avoid spoiling content that has not shown up yet. If you want to talk about random cool stuff in the game, there's an active thread in Games.

List of updates

Senator Bernicus Sanderius

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Epilogue

Sidebar: Combat mechanics

God's Perfect Himbo

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Epilogue

Pun-Pun

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bernicus Sanderius, part 1

For this run, I'll be playing the Senator. It's not new or flashy or complicated, just a strong straightforward faction to bludgeon my way through the game with.

Most factions are based around spellcasters harvesting special resources to fuel their magic. The Senator doesn't really use any of that, just buying armies with gold. Lots and lots of gold.

(Note that I recorded this a couple of versions ago, there have been a few new features for the Senator since then. Nothing terribly earth-shattering, but there are a couple goodies I'm missing out on here.)

I'm playing on a Huge map, during the Empire era for thematic reasons, with a decent population of AI factions that have been cranked up to moderately high difficulty. At Marquis, every AI gets 233% as much income as a human player; the AI is quite bad, so this is not actually much of a challenge. It turns out that the AI income bonuses have been ratcheted down since CoE4 and in retrospect I probably should have bumped it up another notch or two. Marquis is still plenty enough to pressure weaker factions, of which the Senator is definitely not.

Speaking of which, let's meet our Senator, the lovable populist Bernicus Sanderius. He is not a physically imposing figure but his enlightened economic policies will reform the hidebound plutocracy of the Empire and bring prosperity to all.

The Senator has a very strong start, holding a fortified outpost and a town. That might not sound very impressive, but Elysium is designed as a gritty dark ages fantasy setting and a real town is a big deal. Even in the heavily settled eras like Empire, most of the settlements on the map are going to be tiny villages. With Bernie's income bonus I'm getting 9 gold/turn from the start, which is many times what most factions would start with.

Looking around, there's an island (probably?) off the coast with a few juicy looking mines. Mines supply iron, which is important for recruiting troops of any quality, but I'm probably not going to be able to get over there without finding a port and sinking a lot of resources into building ships (which wasn't even possible in previous Conquest of Elysium titles.) Closer to home, there is an apparently undefended hamlet although it looks like it might be on the tip of this peninsula.

Here's a look at our starting army. Most factions get less than half this many troops, although they also start with 1-2 mages, so it's not a huge edge for Bernie. Still, they're mostly quality troops and the mage factions tend to run out of meatshields a lot faster than the Senator does. I've got two commanders, so I split the army in half, taking an even mix of troops for each (there are 3 different grades of legionary here and I don't want to leave either commander with all the dregs.)

Bernie takes the nearby hamlet without resistance and spies both a full fledged city as well as a port. Looks like I'm not on a peninsula after all, and having port access means I might get to those mines faster than I thought. It's still a fortified location with plenty of defenders, though, so I can't just roll in. I can absolutely roll over these tiny settlements in the way, though, and that income adds up quickly.

Our centurion explores to the south. Not much of interest over here, just another tiny hamlet.

Next turn brings this announcement. Very few factions have the option to buy commanders whenever they want, you generally need to wait for random recruitment opportunities like this one. I could theoretically hire him and set him exploring, but with no troops to back him up he would be liable to die pretty easily and leave me out a big chunk of change.

Speaking of which, let's look at our recruitment options in general.

Thanks to the hamlet Bernie liberated last turn we already have enough money to recruit 5 more Velites, our weakest troop. They don't have any armor and they have very average human stats, but they do have shields and javelins. Most factions' basic recruitment is Spearmen that cost 50 gold for 5 with basically the same stats and worse equipment, and also their income is so much worse than ours that it takes most of the first year before they could afford any troops at all. In the long run they more than make up the difference with summons, but the Senator can snowball very quickly compared to most factions.

If we had some iron and a tiny bit more gold we could recruit Hastati, who have much better stats with more armor and better shields and are still slightly cheaper than the vastly inferior generic troops that most factions are saddled with. They're going to be the Senator's bread and butter troop for much of the game. Princepes get a slight stat bump in exchange for more gold and iron; they're noticeably less cost effective than Hastati, but at some point we're going to be swimming in money so in the late game there's often no reason not to spam them. Triarii have better stats, better armor, and better weapons, but in addition to the massive iron premium they have the Slow tag and take forever to get anywhere.

If you're going to spend a lot of iron on slow troops, ballistas are a better investment. Siege weapons in CoE have a unique mechanic: when fights occur in forts siege weapons get a bunch of devastating but inaccurate free attacks before the fight starts. The default siege engine is the catapult; as with the Senator's other troops, the ballista is superior in a number of respects:

-You get twice as many for the same price
-Ballista are smaller
-Ballista get to keep firing (very slowly) during the battle proper, whereas catapults are too unwieldy to do anything outside of the siege phase

They're still slow and cost ridiculous amounts of iron, but they're such a huge force multiplier when attacking or defending a fort that they're worth it. This is especially true for the Senator, who doesn't have a lot of ranged troops.

Case in point: here's a detailed look at that city that Bernie spotted. That's about 30 arrows in my face every turn and other than one javelin shot per legionary I can't really do anything about it until I chop my way through the gates with shortswords. I'm definitely not going to be able to do much about this city until I get some ballistas.

In contrast, here's what the hamlet north of it is defended by. These are about as bad a troop as you're going to see, at least for humans.

They're so weak that Bernie's half of the starting army simply deletes them without a fight. This is a more or less new mechanic for CoE5; previous games had a few scouting-only units that were autodestroyed if any enemies attacked them, which has now been expanded to cover any ridiculously lopsided fight against a couple weak units.

At this point I could move on to the pirate port, but although the defenses aren't as ludicrous as the city it still has crossbows on the walls and I don't have enough troops to batter my way through. So Bernie is just going to continue exploring up the coast.

Meanwhile the centurion attacks the hamlet to the south. This one has real defenders, so I have to actually fight. It's not really much of a fight, though. The opening javelin salvo practically wipes out the defenders and the survivor gets stabbed to death in short order.

The centurion goes on to discover a second hamlet, with no defenders this time. My income is starting to really ramp up.

I still don't have any iron, which it occurs me I should probably do something about. Bernie's starting town gives 1 unit of trade, which lets you effectively reallocate some of your income. It's not much, but trading for 1 iron/turn still means a batch of Hastati every 5 turns which is better than most factions are managing this early.

Next turn Bernie pushes on to attack yet another hamlet, and spots a pirate-free port.

This one's not really any more feasible than the pirates right now, though.

Our centurion spots the first roaming animals we've seen all game. CoE is infamous for populating the world with wandering wildlife that will randomly conquer your villages and murder troops in small numbers; we're pretty fortunate that we started in an area without any, although it helps that the Empire era is a bit less wild than most.

The brown savannah to the south also tells me that we're approaching the warmer souther portion of the continent. Warmer climates mean less snow, which is good, and more deserts and jungles, which is bad.

The crows have too much HP for me to overrun them but unsurprisingly a large flock of birds is not a real fight for a loving Roman Legion. I didn't even get a chance to get a mid-battle screenshot before it was over.

Three stout peasants with weapons are also not a real fight for a Roman Legion.

I also got some extremely interesting recruitment offers. The Reveler is a special commander for the Senator faction with some extremely useful abilities; I'm very tempted to pick them up as I don't know how long it will take to get another one, but they're not particularly relevant just yet. More importantly there are two batches of mercenary archers available, one at the standard price of 50 for 5 and another at the extremely good price of 61 for 10. I absolutely can't afford to pass up this sort of firepower at this stage in the game, with some legionaries in front that's probably enough to take one or both of those ports.

The newly recruited archers show up all the way back at the outpost and are going to be stuck there until I can get a commander to pick them up. Having archers on your starting fort is a good way to deter wandering deer or bandits from unceremoniously conquering your faction too, although our starting neighborhood seems pretty safe right now.

Bernie seems to have discovered the northern coast and is going to have to double back down south, but I decide that it's important enough to bring the centurion back up to join forces with Bernie. Winter will be falling soon, too, which will gently caress up most of the map with snow and make movement agonizingly slow.

Bernie steamrolls through another coastal hamlet and discovers a minor gold mine. I would have preferred something with iron income, although that's a very decent chunk of change even before Bernie's income bonus.

These guys are tough enough that I don't really want to take them on with Bernie's force anyhow. That's enough damage to oneshot most of my troops, and that sweep attack means overkill damage gets spread around. On an unlucky roll they could kill 2 legionaries a turn.

I try to go around and run into a moose. With more forests come more wild animals.

Moose are pretty tough, but with a 10:1 numerical advantage they go down pretty quickly, and I'd rather not have this wandering around my territory.

I also get some other interesting and highly relevant recruitment offers. Theoretically I could have just bought another centurion and saved myself the turns marching my starting centurion back, but more interesting is the mercenary catapult. While catapults are generally awful I can hire this one with absolutely no iron cost, a huge boost at this stage of the game. With 10 archers and a catapult I can roll those ports easy; the city is still going to be a tough nut to crack but this will definitely give me a leg up towards taking it.

The moose charges into Bernie's line and scatters them with its trample attack, but a dozen javelins take a huge chunk out of it and it gets mopped up quickly.

On his way back home Bernie spots a graveyard haunted by spoopy ghost warriors. Graveyards will poop out wandering undead enemies until you capture them, so I'd definitely like to take care of this, but ghosts can be rough for mundane troops and there may be even nastier defenders that I can't see. Meanwhile the centurion has picked up the ranged troops from the outpost and is ready to head to the port. Theoretically I could have hired some more hastati to bulk up his line but I'd rather save my money for now.

While I work on maneuvering my stacks together I get the first mage offer of the game. Renatae are one of the Senator's special mages and they... kind of suck. There is a special use for them later on, but until then they're stuck as 1st level spellcasters with a weak type of magic.

Instead, for 68 gold I get 10 of these guys. They're definitely worse than my legionaries, but not by much, and the length of their pikes lets them hang out in the 2nd row and still attack in melee. Triarii can do the same thing, but they're vastly more resource intensive and slower and the extra defense they have is not super relevant for guys hanging out in the back of your melee formation. I definitely prefer the mercenary pikes.

It's time.

The catapult does its thing. The targeting could be better, but it does take out two crossbow pirates before they can even move.

After the catapults go another crossbow dies to arrow fire, at which point the defenders say gently caress it and throw open the gates. I'm not 100% sure what triggers this; there are still a few crossbows that can take potshots from the wall, but with Bernie having several times the volume of fire available that's probably a losing battle.

Not that there's anything resembling a winning battle for them either way.

It wasn't a free victory, but all in all pretty cheap.

Bernie is now the proud owner of a port. It's worth a decent chunk of income and adds another point of trade (which Bernie's common-sense trade policices boost even further), and in addition to being another recruiting site I can buy ships here. They're very iron-intensive for a unit that doesn't fight, but with the extra trade I should be racking up a decent amount of iron going forward. For being 1 year into the game this is a pretty fantastic income base in general.

(I also have some random gladiator recruits on offer this turn. Gladiators are somewhat better than standard infantry troops and cost like twice as much. They do get around the limit of being able to only recruit 1 batch of standard troops per turn, so they're occasionally useful for squeezing some extra troops out in an emergency, but generally if the situation is dire enough for you to contemplate that then a couple gladiators is not going to unfuck things for you. They feel less attractive than standard mercenary offers, which in CoE5 scale with the number of towns you have and generally seem way more common than they used to be.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 10, 2021

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I have to say I greatly appreciate this game embracing the best font, Black Chancery.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

May your world be free for the loving ant storm.

And mystical cubes hovering over a crater on turn 30.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Ant storm is.. well, it's unlikely in empire. It usually happens in dark ages. The real thing you have to watch out for is the portal. That thing can strike on like, turn 20.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
One of the upshots of bumping up AI difficulty is that they tend to do a better job of pruning world-ending threats like demon cultists and ants. I've still yet to see a full antpocalypse, at worst I've just seen a cluster of 3-4 hills.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ant storm? Haven't had that yet

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

It's not an official event, just the repercussions of having ants that can multiply indefinitely if left unchecked.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
If anyone's skipping the unit descriptions, I suggest reading them. There's some real gems there.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Slaan posted:

Something is seriously wrong with the spawn logic for ant queens. Even a single nest will lead to the entirety of the map being covered in ant nests if not stopped very, very early.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
I'm very interested to see your run of CoE5. I've played dozens of hours in CoE4 and I've always liked that series more than the related Dominions games. While much more simplified in the battle planning, I think the gameplay is really fun as it unfolds.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bernicus Sanderius, part 2

Next turn another one of the Senator's special mage recruits shows up. The Leo is another low level dead end mage, but their spells tend to be a bit more useful than the Renata (setting your enemies on fire is just a good policy in general.) They're also physically stronger, and having a Leo around gives you access to a new type of recruit:

These guys costs 10% more than standard Principes in return for partial fire resistance. It's not a great deal but it is a good way to cut down on friendly fire from your Leos and other mages, and later in the game you have more money than you know what to do with anyhow.

The new leo picks up some mercs and heads westward while Bernie's combined stack works its way towards the other port.

I get an offer for another one of the Senator's special commanders. Augurs are not mages per se but get a remote scrying ritual that lets you reveal a tiny chunk of the map in exchange for a few coins. It's theoretically useful but it's honestly kind of a hassle and I usually don't bother. I need my money for more important things anyhow.

For example, immediately afterwards I get another offer for a reveler. This time I've got plenty of money for them.

The new leo has reached the more distant farm and found that it's already been claimed by an enemy faction in blue. This may complicate things, but at this stage of the game most factions are walking around with barely more than their starting army, so bumping into them is probably worse news for them than me.

Meanwhile, Bernie has reached Ravenharbor. I get lucky on my javelin rolls and manage to wipe out the archers on the wall before my infantry even reaches the gates, allowing the legion to take the port without losses.

At this point I have no immediate need for my catapult, so I have Bernie advance with the rest of the troops while the centurion drags the catapult back to base by himself. Unfortunately it looks like something has gotten into my territory and stolen a farm. I'm not the only one having issues either: something unflagged the blue faction's farm too. Judging by the proximity to the graveyard some manner of ghost is likely; the problem in my own backyard is probably just bandits.

Next turn I go to get the reveler some troops to deal with it and get a particularly opportune offer. The Senator gets rare offers of 10 Hastati for 65 gold/5 iron. Getting 5 of them for 45 gold/5 iron is already a fantastic deal, 10 for 65 gold is just stupidly good. This offer doesn't come around often but it's a must buy when it does.

As the second winter sets in Bernie moves in on the ogre-occupied mine. The leo spots our first ancient forest, so it's a good thing a reveler showed up when they did. Ancient forests spawn wandering wild animals that will stumble around and mess up your infrastructure (like the farm that's literally right next to it) and most factions cannot capture them so they have no way to shut the spawns down. But that's what our reveler is for.

Bernie's troops badly wound several ogres in their opening salvo, but there's a lot of work to be done still.

The ogres quickly delete most of the legionaries in reach, but we're still getting a few good stabs in and the arrows are piling up.

We went in with a 4:1 numerical advantage and still lost almost as many troops as they did, most of them from our higher grade troops too. Thankfully at this point I'm already earning enough to replace these losses within 2 turns tops.

By the time the reveler is able to recapture the farm whatever is wandering over there has stolen the hamlet next door. I risk an ambush by rushing in to catch it, figuring I can probably take whatever bandits stole it. Bernie is just hanging out next to the graveyard while I bring the leo up, since I don't really want to fight ghosts without some kind of magic support.

Whoops! Looks like the hamlet thieves are ghosts, not bandits. Blundering into a stealthy enemy's ambush fucks with your formation, so my troops are out of position here.

These things are the weakest form of ghost. They're not terribly threatening, but they're ethereal, meaning that nonmagical damage rarely affects them. If you attack them enough eventually something will land, but they can soak a lot more attacks than their 1 HP implies and they're loving you up with their touch attack in the meantime.

gently caress! Since ambushes tend to cluster enemies against the "back" of your marching line, the shiny new reveler got sniped by a spirit. That sucked, but it does go to show why I really want magic support to take on the graveyard.

Just the ghost we can see is noticeably stronger than those spirits. And as we've seen (or didn't see) with the dispossed spirits, a lot of ghostly undead are stealthy.

Sure enough, the real boss of the graveyard was hidden from view. This could get ugly.

Luckily, it doesn't! The leo's sun spells do a lot of bonus damage against undead and can also blind enemies, which prevents the wraith from loving up our formation by zombifying legionaries. Between the chip damage from the sheer volume of missile fire and the big chunks of damage the leo is doing, the wraith goes down before the melee starts.

Looting the graveyard actually turns up a couple magic items. You don't always get bonus stuff from graverobbing, but it's nice when you do. As a human faction I don't have a ton of use for a magic weapon since individual infantrymen won't live long against real enemies, but it doesn't hurt.

I also grab this which I have even less use for, since its main effect is specific to Iron Wizards and I have exactly zero of those. It's possible we might be able to recruit one at some point, but unlike Dominions there is no handy universal magic item storage; if you want to transfer magic items you need to walk across the goddamn map and hand it over in person.

Next turn an Old Wizard shows up as a recruitment offer. gently caress! This is our very first generic wizard offer and it's the best one by a mile. Most factions need to capture magic libraries to even have a chance for these to show up, but Bernie's aggressive pro-education platform attracts extra mages above and beyond what we'd normally get for libraries. These guys are absolutely amazing and are vital to the Senator's late game, but way too expensive to buy at this stage. That will change soon enough, but even with the Senator bonus they're very rare and who knows when the next one will show up.

In better news, at least I'm ready for a ship now.

The Leo manages to track down the stealth enemy over by the forest, which turns out to be a lone brigand who immediately gets owned. This is more of what I was expecting when I sent the reveler to investigate the stealth attacks on our turf.

There turn out to be even more of them next door in the ancient forest itself, who also immediately get owned. Through some weird quirk the pikes wound up in "behind" the archers, putting them in place to stab the ambushers right away while the archers provide support fire from safety.

Oh thank christ another reveler showed up. I'd rather have bought another round of pikes, but I really want to do something about that forest.

While the new reveler slowly works his way over there, Bernie finally sets sail and crosses the strait to the island.

There's limited room on the boat, so I can't take all my troops and definitely not the catapult (not that it would be able to do anything, since siege weapons are only able to attack if fortifications are in play.) Still, this should be plenty against a handful of wild bakemono.

The small goblins die instantly. The big ones have real weapons and armor and are quite a bit tougher, but they're still not as dangerous as the ogres we faced and there aren't nearly as many of them.

This thing is hanging out in back. Getting cursed isn't great for the long-term health of the legion, but it can't really hurt us right now.

The other mine has another batch of bakemono. Just like before, the big ones chop down a couple of legionaries and then get swarmed.

That's two mines in the bag, and now we finally have a native source of iron. It's still dwarfed by what we're getting from trade, but it doesn't drain our gold income. As an added bonus, the gold output of mines is not affected by weather so this gives us a steadier supply of income during winter (when farms & towns suffer.) Bernie also spots a guard tower! These don't contribute any resources, but they're fortified recruitment sites and having a source of reinforcements on this side of the channel that doesn't require ferrying troops over would be handy. Unfortunately there are enough crossbows that it might get more expensive than I'd like, so Bernie will need to spend several turns sailing back to pick up more firepower.

Meanwhile, the leo takes his troops and incinerates the roving pack of ghouls hanging around the forest. Ghouls aren't particularly threatening, but you don't want them wandering around killing things as they can create more ghouls that way. Hopefully there aren't any other wandering undead left over from the graveyard.

That clears the area for the reveler to come in and get his party on. By spending 25 gold to throw a massive rager, the reveler can convert the ancient forest to the power of partying. Now instead of spawning hostile wild animals, the ancient forest will produce our own freespawn. Terrible and useless freespawn, but occasionally they might kill a deer for us or something. Between this and securing the graveyard our home turf should be pretty secure, barring amphibious critters wandering ashore.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

I get an offer for another one of the Senator's special commanders. Augurs are not mages per se but get a remote scrying ritual that lets you reveal a tiny chunk of the map in exchange for a few coins. It's theoretically useful but it's honestly kind of a hassle and I usually don't bother. I need my money for more important things anyhow.

What? Augurs are INCREDIBLY good. :psyduck:

You don't use them for their ritual, you use them as a scout that sees out two tiles instead of one. You stick one with your army and you now have both a much larger view area (really useful!) and no longer have to worry about spirits/bandits/horrors/etc. ambushing you (as helpfully illustrated by your Reveler without a scout) or hidden on a location. And again, the larger field of view makes it much easier to find nice targets to attack, as well as avoid that doomstack hidden in the fog of war.

Sure they're generally expensive, and early game you might need the gold for something else, but it's really nice to have a few around.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh hell, I never realized they did that, I just thought they were there for the ritual.

Oh well! It's not like the Senator needs the help.

e: I still don't know if I would have shelled out the money for them at this point in the game. Maybe that's a bad habit left over from earlier CoEs, since ambushes are a lot more dangerous this time around (in CoE4 ambushes just scrambled positions at random, so outcomes like that reveler were less common.)

e x2: really, even if they weren't super-scouts it would be worth it later on to shell out an extra 40 or so gold for a scout that hid in the back instead of the middle where they get themselves sniped

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 11, 2021

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Question about the reveler I see that there is now two rituals. One creates the frat party what's the other one do?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

tankfish posted:

Question about the reveler I see that there is now two rituals. One creates the frat party what's the other one do?

It will be shown off next update, but basically: summons a house spirit that defends/improves a farm

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am glad that you can throw a party so wild it makes a forest a friend.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
The one and only time I played one of these games (CoE3), I played a Voice of El, flailed around, got pushed back by something or other (probably wildlife), and won the game by unleashing apocalypse and hunkering down.

I look forward to seeing what the game is like when played by someone competent. :v:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Senator faction is hilarious because they are basically incompetent romans straight out of Asterix comics.

There is a slavish devotion to an ancient bureaucracy that is in the process of falling apart from within as the scribe, clerk, and lawyer-backed sun cult starts taking over. And wealthy merchants sons are joining the sun cult to gain access to a military career previously unobtainable due to their bloodline.

And they're still using the same sort of gear that was used centuries ago, before the empire fell.

You should show off the unit descriptions of the basic senator units, they're hilarious.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

OneWingedDevil posted:

The one and only time I played one of these games (CoE3), I played a Voice of El, flailed around, got pushed back by something or other (probably wildlife), and won the game by unleashing apocalypse and hunkering down.

I look forward to seeing what the game is like when played by someone competent. :v:

This is basically the voice of el gameplan in a nutshell though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

OneWingedDevil posted:

No no, you did that right, thats kind of the Voice's whole game plan.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pharohman777 posted:

The Senator faction is hilarious because they are basically incompetent romans straight out of Asterix comics.

There is a slavish devotion to an ancient bureaucracy that is in the process of falling apart from within as the scribe, clerk, and lawyer-backed sun cult starts taking over. And wealthy merchants sons are joining the sun cult to gain access to a military career previously unobtainable due to their bloodline.

And they're still using the same sort of gear that was used centuries ago, before the empire fell.

You should show off the unit descriptions of the basic senator units, they're hilarious.

They're not the most outrageous descriptions that CoE has to offer, but they do have a certain droll quality.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bernicus Sanderius, part 3

I really don't feel like backtracking with Bernie, so I decide to push on and see if there are any softer targets to grab. There's another port, but it's definitely not a soft target.

Not only does it have way more crossbows than the two ports I knocked down already, it has its own catapult backing it up. That's ~7 very lethal shots at my forces before I can do anything.

The reveler has a second ritual, which I believe may be new from CoE4? It can only be cast in farms.

It spawns this guy as a stationary defender, who also doubles the farm's income. Thanks to Bernie's income boost they break even on investment in about a year and a half... not great, but it's something, and the Lar is a decent spellcaster who is also moderately beefy and ethereal. Making these is not exactly going to be a cornerstone of Bernie's strategy but why not, I guess.

I'm up to 50 iron in the bank, so it's ballista time! They do slightly less damage than catapults, but in return you get twice as many of them for the same price and they get to keep firing slowly (once every 4 turns) even outside siege phases. More crucially, unlike catapults they only occupy a single space which means they fit on boats.

Scouting ahead, my leo goes to cull some hostile deer and spots yet another port. I also see that the ancient forest has given us a new friend.

Satyrs are some of the better freespawn that come out of ancient forest revels. They'd actually be sort of OK except that they have the Stupid tag, meaning they just wander about randomly and cannot be controlled. They're basically indies that fight on your side, which are much preferable to indies that don't.

I go ahead and buy another mercenary catapult. Even if I can't take it on a boat there are good targets for it on the mainland.

My leo continues to clean up wandering indies, finding these guys hanging around. Interestingly they've already lost some HP; different types of indies can actually bump each other and fight, so these guys must have run into some undead or big animals or something.

This is good news for us, because these guys are extremely tough. Despite having a 5-to-1 numerical advantage this would probably go very badly for us.

Or at least it would, if we didn't have magic on our side. We lose one pikeman but no more.

Bernie's back in port to pick up the ballistas, although there's not enough room on the boat for any real reinforcements. I probably should have left more troops on the island and picked them back up later, but it's not a real big deal; I've got more than enough firepower to roll the guard tower and then I can buy all the infantry I want. This time I also bring the centurion along, which means I'll have someone around to drive the boat even after Bernie disembarks.

The leo finds a watch tower, which is like the guard tower's lovely little brother. For most factions they're pretty worthless, but the Senator (and only the Senator) gets to use them as recruitment sites just like proper guard towers. Only Bernie has the plan to reinvest in the empire's crumbling infrastructure!

Beyond that are a few smaller settlements and another town. It will take a while to get enough firepower to crack it, even with the leo's magic his dwindling force is going to have a hard time on hardened targets.

Serpent Priests are another one of the Senator's unique mage recruits. They're ok; they're 2nd level casters (and there are only 3 "real" levels of magic in CoE), which is nice, although I'm not entirely in love with their spell pool. Unfortunately I get distracted by the shiny troop offers and miscalculate my ability to buy all the special offers, so I get a ton of reinforcements and no serpent priest.

A trio of giant ants wander into my farm, which is bad news for the lar. Ants are very tough units in general, but also most of the lar's survivability is based on being ethereal. The ants' acid spray attack does not count as mundane damage so they just completely gently caress up ethereal troops (and also mundane troops, but those are usually numerous and expendable so it's not a big deal.)

Spellcasters start with a couple random spells of each magic level they know. The lar's Forest Magic list has like half a dozen ways to charm animals and this one didn't know a single one of them. He summons a wolf on the far edge of the battlefield which completely fails to accomplish anything before the ants take him down. Poor lar etc. etc.

Bernie slowly advances on the guard tower while the centurion picks up some more troops in port and sets off to explore the north. There was a pearl bed just sitting in view offshore all game and now that I have a spare ship it's free money for the taking. From here I figure I can sail into the western bay and drop off some troops for the leo to expand westwards with.

The ants continue their reign of terror, killing the satyr freespawn and reconquering the ancient forest. Dammit.

Bernie takes the guard tower. The ballistas' aim leaves something to be desired and fail to soften the defenders up as much as I would have liked, but I still have the numbers to win the archer duel even with the defense bonus the ramparts give the defenders.

Coincidentally, I'm back at 50 iron and can pop out another pair of ballistae to immediately reinforce Bernie.

Now Bernie has a 4:1 siege engine advantage against the island port. The catapult does take out two archers, but the ballistae handily win the siege battle; those walls were packed with crossbowmen to start with, and several of the footmen got taken out too. Since the catapult stops firing after the siege phase I clean up the rest of the fight without additional casualties.

I get a scout offer, which I use to supplement Bernie's army in the newly taken port. Unlike Dominions scouts are not commanders, instead they're specialist troops that you bring with your armies to spot stealthy units and avoid ambushes.

The centurion's ship gets ambushed at sea as it rounds the northern point. Positioning is a bit weird for sea ambushes, but it does mean that all my archers are on the front of the ship, and these kelp men have 20 HP apiece and a resistance to piercing damage, so...

We win, but ouch. I had been hoping to join this force up with the leo, but without any ranged troops there's not much point; 9 hastati are not going to beat the watch tower. And another sea attack is likely to wipe us out.

The reveler heads back to the ancient forest with reinforcements to put an end to the giant ants' reign of terror. Several legionaries are lost, but the ants are dead and the forest secured. The leo begins trudging back towards the forest to take some of these troops further west.

Bernie expores a little further and discovers the lost imperial capital, less than a screen from his starting outpost. I guess you can't blame him, Illwinter only invented boats a couple months ago. This does beg the question of how Bernie got across the strait to begin with.

The capital takes the form of a giant city spread across four tiles. Despite the various graphical upgrades CoE has received with each iteration the capital is still just a lovely 90s rear end pixel sprite that's been upscaled to cover four tiles and then chopped up.

The trade district has a few gladiators and exotic animals from the coliseum, but is otherwise a fairly standard city. Bernie could probably take it right now, except I dropped off the ballistas at the port.

The temple district next door is much tougher. Those paladins are bad news and there's several high ranking priests who can potentially have some nasty spells. This is to say nothing of the Old Wizard hanging out on the wall; with a city wall and several dozen arrow catchers to keep him safe, he probably has enough firepower to mulch an army.

Since Bernie is going to have to return to port to pick up his siege weapons, I go ahead and start pumping out as many reinforcements there as I can. To some extent it's probably redundant; fighting my way into the capital is going to be ballista work, there's no real number of footsoldiers that can realistically take something defended that well. There's likely to be some attrition though and I'd rather not run out of meatshields halfway through.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

To note, the old wizard is a level 3 caster and can casually toss out battlefield wide nukes, best option is to hope a ballista bolt mulches him before the battle phase starts since he is just a squishy human.

Highlords are even more dangerous in COE5 than 4 because armor is buffed to a flat reduction versus a die roll and they are armor 3, which means they take 3 less damage period. He also has a small shield which further reduces damage but luckily on a die roll rather than a flat reduction. But it means most of the time he will flat out ignore a hastati or veles attack and mulch them in return with his two attacks per turn from his broadsword.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Somebody invisible is probably in front of the old wizard.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

the holy poopacy posted:

While I work on maneuvering my stacks together I get the first mage offer of the game. Renatae are one of the Senator's special mages and they... kind of suck. There is a special use for them later on, but until then they're stuck as 1st level spellcasters with a weak type of magic.

I've forgotten how to read this and at first I thought this was a mage that only casted Fist, which is much cooler.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Neat. I like CoE 4 so I will be following this thread to see what the new version adds.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I've forgotten how to read this and at first I thought this was a mage that only casted Fist, which is much cooler.

important question are there Muscle Mages in this game

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bernicus Sanderius, part 4

Bernie gathers his forces, even going so far as to pick up some gladiators to have some extra bodies on hand. Even with the ballistae this isn't going to be nearly enough to take the whole capital but it should at least get us a foothold.

The reveler gets his party on, summons the lar back, and meets up with the returning leo to shuffle troops around.

Step one is to secure the neighboring port before moving on the capital proper. Not every section of the capital acts as a recruitment point and I will want a closer source of reinforcements for the siege.

Four ballistae is kind of overkill for these chumps, Bernie rolls the port without losses.

One iron short of another pair of ballistae :argh: I opt to pause for a turn and go ahead and hire some hastati while I wait.

Meanwhile, the passive vision from my holdings in the west get the first glimpse of the enemy. Looks like the dark blue faction is an illusionist. I don't actually have a lot of experience with illusionists, but they seem... kind of bad? Their main gimmick is enchanting magic mirrors to "store" spells or summons, which is what we're looking at here. They've got a few very cool tricks but they seem to have some holes in their toolkit and I'm not sure the rest of it is strong enough to compensate. On the other hand, with the senator's reliance on mundane human troops we're vulnerable to most of their tricks.

Next turn brings some more archers in addition to the iron for the two new ballistae.

The artillery barrage kills most of the crossbowmen on the walls, prompting the defenders to immediately open the gates.

The gladiators are kind of tough and take out several legionaries, which is more damage than I expected to take. But that's why I decided to play it safe.

New to CoE5, you can now get random offers to buy magic items in addition to troop offers. Like mercenaries, the more and bigger towns you have the more offers you get--and we just took a slice of the biggest town there is. This armor adds a decent chunk of HP and armor and also makes the wearer berserk, which is not great for longevity but at least magic items always get recovered if you win.

With the trade district in hand Bernie has a ridiculous 16 points of trade, all of which goes straight into iron every turn. I also have eyes on the other two districts, the Capitolium proper and the slums.

#NotMyEmperor

The reigning Emperor comes with a surprisingly wimpy retinue. He has a level 2 white wizard and a couple siege engines, but hardly any ranged troops. He's got some magical loot on him but nothing that would change the outcome of a melee. Still, I didn't get this far by being reckless.

Nah gently caress it WE'RE DOING THIS

One of my ballistas goes down during the siege phase but in return I manage to snipe both of the emperor's, leaving him only with a catapult that is now useless. The High Lord manages to limp away from a ballista shot but he's not long for this world.

The white wizard demonstrates why higher level spellcasters are such a big deal. This is like a dozen archers' worth of damage all at once, plus it stuns most of what it hits. And this guy is only level 2. I wasn't really expecting him to be packing this kind of firepower since white wizards mostly have protective and support type spells.

More Storm Wind spells tear up the back line, but the fighting at the gates is going our way.

Once the wizard goes down, the rest of the fight is an afterthought.

This is almost as many losses as the rest of the game so far put together, but it's worth it.

Bernie decks himself out in the assorted loot from the empire and his entourage. In addition to the flail and (mostly useless) crown from the graveyard he now has a vest that gives him HP, armor, and poison resistance, plus a charm for even more HP and strength, and a necklace that gives cold resistance and retaliates melee attacks with cold damage. He's actually not too shabby as a melee combatant now, although he'd still be equivalent to like... one heavy cavalry troop, tops. Suffice to say I'm not planning on doing any fighting with him.

The senator has a special interaction with the capital, although it costs a whopping 600 gold. Buying iron is turning into a significant drain on our income so I turn off trading for now, I'll be able to get another ballista pair soon anyhow.

In less exciting news, the leo takes on the watchtower to the far west. I don't have as many archers as I would like and lose a couple troops, but the leo's solar magic carries the day again.

I spot this guy wandering around outside the capital. These merchants occasionally spawn at ports and other similar locations; they're programmed to head to the other side of the map but I guess being stuck on an island there's nowhere for him to really go. They're usually escorted by a dozen or so troops and maybe a mage.

This one has no mage so I'm able to take them out easily, netting some extra contributions to Bernie's campaign fund.

The capital slums put up surprisingly stiff resistance, Bernie's front line is getting a little bit thin.

Although Bernie could really use more firepower for the eventual assault on the temple district, now that I have a watchtower to recruit from I allocate my iron to getting some siege weaponry for the leo to take on some of the harder targets. This area of the map is not very secure, so I leave a couple archers behind to man the watchtower; this gives me some passive vision over the region, and should be enough to keep the riffraff out.

The town's defenders are almost all archers, and even with the ballistae backing him up the leo loses 10 troops. Ouch.

Once winter is over, money starts pouring in from Bernie's holdings. Between the capital and the recently seized towns and ports our income is starting to get silly and the price tag on coronation doesn't look so daunting.

Having seized the capital, Bernie orders an investigation into the previous administration and discovered that due to unprecedented voter suppression measures, such as being installed by the Praetorian Guard without a vote, his predecessor was declared Imperator with a shocking 0% of the popular vote. Organizing a free and fair election is an expensive undertaking, but once that is arranged the outcome is obvious:

Hail Emperor Bernie!

Promoting to Emperor doesn't actually do a lot. His stats have improved slightly but mostly that's due to picking up an extra experience level from recent fighting. He does get a few extra rituals, which we'll see in due time.

Bernie does have the option to recruit these guys now. Theoretically you could get a line or two of Praetorian Guards backed up by a line or two of Triarii and have the best human heavy infantry formation in the game, just in time to get rendered irrelevant by everyone else's endgame summons. I'd rather spend my iron on more ballistae with lighter meatshields.

I've got what I want from the capital, so I hire an expendable centurion and throw the remainder of Bernie's forces at the holdout temple district. I figure even if I don't win, my odds are better attacking in waves to successively thin out the defenders as opposed to building up and going in with everything all at once. If I came in with twice as many ballistae now they would all go in the same siege phase, but hopefully by throwing in the foot soldiers I can get some extra kills in for the next batch of ballistae to work off of.

This guy is the main reason that I'm not optimistic about my odds. He can literally set my entire army on fire every turn. Also, that Invulnerability spell is not loving around: this is not Dominions "oh you have good armor vs. nonmagical weapons", when it says invulnerable it drat well means invulnerable.. Magic weapons still pierce it but short of that you're not going to get around invulnerability by hitting people really hard or getting lucky damage rolls.

A quick note on how spellcasters work: mages typically come with 2 spells of each spell level they know (this guy has a few more than most), and are required to have at least 1 more spell memorized than their current level, which the AI will choose among semi-randomly (although it won't deliberately cast useless spells.) So higher level mages are usually going to be forced into equipping some of their lower level spells, although that can work out OK; higher level casters get extra castings of spells below their maximum level, so this guy could get two Poison Mist castings instead of a single Flame Storm. That's usually a pretty decent consolation, and depending on what spells you roll sometimes it can be preferable to spam lower level spells.

Bernie only knows one spell, and it's Power Word: Ballista. Save vs. having a tree trunk shoved through your skull, nerd.

The ballistae manage to snipe both of the bishops, although their spell rolls weren't particularly threatening. Their spell list includes charm effects but I got lucky and neither of them rolled their conversion spell.

I still have to deal with these guys, this time without mage support.

It's pretty rough going. The only thing that reliably gets through their armor is ballista fire but they only get to shoot once every four rounds and their attack is inherently inaccurate.

I gradually whittle them down, but it's a very close fight. This attack probably wasn't really a great idea, if I did this badly after killing all the mages I doubt I would have done any real damage before getting wiped out by wizard spells. If I hadn't gotten lucky and immediately sniped the old wizard I would have thrown away like 40 troops for nothing.

But I did and I won! The temple district gives another very decent chunk of gold and trade, plus it counts as both a temple and a library. Being a temple will increase the number of offers for our faction-specific casters like renatae and serpent priests, being a library will increase the number of offers for generic mercenary mages. Mages can also pay here to unlock additional spells of levels that they know, although this one only has level 1 spell access. It's usually not really worth it outside of very specific key mages.

Bernie celebrates the occasion by erecting a statue of himself in a stunning likeness. For 100 gold and a turn's worth of action points the emperor can build these in any settlement larger than a farm. It's basically the big boy version of the lar, increasing income by +1 and giving you an extremely beefy stationary spellcaster to defend the town. The upfront cost makes it fairly useless as an economic booster, although it does help defray the expense.

Unlike the lar this thing will easily solo even the nastiest wandering monsters and even some decent size armies, so it has some use as a pop-up garrison. The risk and opportunity cost of having your emperor on the frontier building statues probably relegates them to a gimmick, but later patches let your emperor appoint governors that can do the statue-building for him (and can also raise small stationary militias to defend for free.) Which would be a nice perk, but I'm not too disappointed to miss out on. You don't need to plant defenses on your holdings if you annihilate every threat before it reaches them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

God I love our idiot bureaucracy romans. These unit descriptions are :discourse:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
"Bernie has the gold, so he is the man," the Dean, probably

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The different independents are a new thing. The usual grays are monsters, bandits, and tribals that we are used to. The ones you noted are new, denoted by a fuller bluish gray. They're sometimes referred to as 'kingdom' or 'empire'. Basically human-centric independants that most towns, ports, and the imperial city itself belong to.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
The latest patch lets the Emperor hire governors who can go around building statues in his stead.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Does this game eventually ramp up to the madness that is late game Dominions for the factions or does it kinda stay low key?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I am kinda surprised how well javelins help with things like Moose or other massive monsters. But it makes sense as it allows the whole legion to contribute against such beast (for at least single turn).

WarpedLichen posted:

Does this game eventually ramp up to the madness that is late game Dominions for the factions or does it kinda stay low key?

Pretty much. On some terms the late game effects are more visible on the world level.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bernicus Sanderius, part 5

Now that the coronation is over I start buying iron again. At this point I'm getting enough iron that I'm basically averaging 1 ballista/turn.

I may need it in the near future. Another AI faction shows up and very rudely starts stealing some of my smaller settlements.

Balance in Conquest of Elysium corresponds in many ways to balance in Dominions. Here, as there, centaurs are extremely busted (or at least the centaurides are; the centaurs are just broken.) Thankfully they have a fairly low spawn rate; this is a squad of 5 upgraded centaurs backed up by a mage, which is still a noticeable investment at this stage of the game.

One other neat feature of the Senator: your guard towers and watch towers gradually freespawn Velites. They're not very good, but it's hard to beat free, and unlike your ritual-summoned garrisons you can move them around and use them however you see fit. I hire a centurion at the imperial guard tower to pick up the velite and clean up some of the remaining settlements on the island.

There's an unclaimed graveyard out west that I haven't had a chance to capture yet, and some of the wandering undead popping out of it are colliding with the reveler freespawn from our ancient forest. The satyrs may not be good for much, but punching zombies is right up their alley.

Part of CoE5 having more distinct indie factions is that some of them will be a bit more active. Towers and castles will actually send out troops that will attempt to reconquer nearby settlements. Since I'm already hunkering down from the roving centaurs, this attempt goes rather poorly for them.

The leo seizes the guard tower they presumably came from, revealing more centaur-infested forests. Since the senator has no special use for forests we can't claim them ourselves, but moving over them will unclaim them from the dryads and cut off their income.

Their stack seems to have picked up several more centaurs from somewhere, although they're the unarmored type. I can get reinforcements from the guard tower too, so I decide to nip them in the bud.

It goes... worse than I would have hoped. RIP to the leo, he was the MVP of my westward expansion.

Really I should have been diverting more reinforcements to the frontier, but I've been building up a stack to take the unconquered city that's been sitting next to our starting outpost all game.

This message appeared and briefly made me panic that I'd hosed up. Leaving troops sitting in the mushroom circles you periodically see on the map can occasionally get them teleported to random (usually hostile) ancient forests and I was worried that I just got one of my armies dumped halfway across the map, but of course this is just some random reveler freespawn.

Maenads are a bit worse than satyrs, and also worse than most other things, but I guess they're not quite as bad as I'd remembered. They still manage to get massacred by 5 bandits, which considering how weak bandits are is pretty bad.

On to the city. The walls were literally packed full of archers at the start, so the siege weapons did a decent job thinning them out.

I still lose half my frontline troops fighting my way in, but I'll take it.

The first AI faction is eliminated. I'm a little surprised it took this long, even at moderately high difficulties the AI is very capable of stupidly getting itself killed, usually by indies wandering into an undefended citadel. There are two loss conditions: if you have no commanders left or no recruitment sites left, you lose instantly.

Warlocks are a pretty scary magic-heavy lategame faction, so this is good news for us. Unfortunately, so are demonologists.

I hire all those mercenaries and the centurion to the frontier guard tower so that I can pick up the troops stranded by the death of my leo. They're sitting ducks right now and more centaurs are approaching.

Some random spirits managed to wander their way into the watch tower. Thankfully my freespawn velites are enough to take care of them.

More freespawn vs. freespawn battles. I really ought to do something about that graveyard, but my hands are a bit full right now.

With the city finally secured and my home turf completely under control, I finally get around to sending a force southwards to explore the savannah. The tropical region of the map is home to various vaguely problematic tribes, who tend to be fairly tough due to having spellcasters around.

The centaurs are back in force. There are even more armored centaurs this time, plus a bunch of other dryad spawn. The harpies and unarmed satyrs are basically worthless, but satyr spearmen are probably a match for velites.

That's a hell of a list of offers. I definitely need the extra troops against the centaur menace, and I also have the opportunity to trade 66 useless gold for an extremely valuable magic bean!

It does exactly what you might expect.

Welcome to the sky! It's a bit tough to get around up here if you don't fly, but you can walk around on some of the more stable clouds. That storm demon is a pretty nasty customer so I'm just going to try to walk past and hope I find something easier to kill.

I decide I probably have the numbers to take on the new centaur stack. Our front line is no match for theirs, but we have vastly more firepower to concentrate on them.

The rocky outcroppings keep the center at a near stalemate, but the flanks turn bloody quickly. The satyr fodder dies almost instantly, but the merc swordsmen can't hold up against the centaurs either.

Still, as tough as they are the centaurs don't have the defense of armored knights and our massed archer fire wears them down at a decent rate. We lose almost all of our front line, but that's cheap compared to the stack they just killed.

After picking up some replacement troops it's time to reclaim what was stolen from us. The ballistae stay behind to hold the tower.

It looks like the clouds above the capital might actually go somewhere after all. Some of the clouds aren't exactly stable, though, so units that don't fly need to watch their step; it is entirely possible to have them give way and dump you to the ground below.

Meanwhile, down south the centurion continues to mop up the native villages.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Magic Bean being used to build ladder to clouds is both surprising and also makes total sense. What a neat feature.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The thing that stands out to me about CoE centaurs is that, while there's a lot of unit overlap between Dominions and CoE, most units have had their hp halved. A normal human has 5 hp instead of 10, for example.

Centaurs, meanwhile, have the exact same hp in both games, at 21.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arcvasti posted:

The thing that stands out to me about CoE centaurs is that, while there's a lot of unit overlap between Dominions and CoE, most units have had their hp halved. A normal human has 5 hp instead of 10, for example.

Centaurs, meanwhile, have the exact same hp in both games, at 21.

It's a little fuzzier than that since CoE has no defense stat and is very stingy with armor, so a lot of stuff that would have increased defense/prot in Dominions show up here with HP boosts. Heavy cavalry units have like 12-15 HP here, which corresponds closely to what they have in Dominions where some of that bulk would be modeled with def/prot scores. But the centaurs' extra HP definitely seems excessive since Dominion's centaurs generally don't quite have the defensive stats as heavy cav to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I am enjoying this silly game so far, thank you for doing this LP :)