Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's interesting how quickly the next generation of young players have learned and now go to youth focused European teams rather than fester on a beach somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tarbrush posted:

It's interesting how quickly the next generation of young players have learned and now go to youth focused European teams rather than fester on a beach somewhere

Honestly it was more odd how the previous generation of English talent was so averse to it. It's very common pretty much everywhere else.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

TheRat posted:

Honestly it was more odd how the previous generation of English talent was so averse to it. It's very common pretty much everywhere else.
It surely was a cultural thing, like how English players going abroad was pretty rare and usually a big deal. That's definitely seen a shift over the last few years.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s a funny old game

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Flayer posted:

It surely was a cultural thing, like how English players going abroad was pretty rare and usually a big deal. That's definitely seen a shift over the last few years.

Even now it’s uncommon, and it seems like most of the English players abroad come back pretty quickly

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Even now it’s uncommon, and it seems like most of the English players abroad come back pretty quickly

Premier league makes more money than any other league by a long way, and English players are worth more in England for marketing and sponsorship reasons.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Flayer posted:

The young players just wanted to take advantage of traveling in Europe before Brexit came into effect

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

tarbrush posted:

Not sure how people feel about Tifo, but their evisceration of Solskjaer here is pretty direct and brutal.

https://youtu.be/Epygwgr_x0Q

"That is too much for a human. It's definitely too much for Fred and McTominay."

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012
And because one member of the squad had played for a different manager in a very different system a decade earlier Wenger can't take the credit for his defense?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Good ball by Dixon posted:

And because one member of the squad had played for a different manager in a very different system a decade earlier Wenger can't take the credit for his defense?

It's pretty much a fact that Wenger's defence got worse the longer he was at the club. Its heyday was Dixon/Adams/Keown/Winterburn, quite literally one of the best defences the English top flight has seen. Lauren Campbell Toure Cole was of course decent and had a Leicester like season of success at the back in 2004. Cole hosed off though, Toure became a parody of himself and I don't recall the trajectory of the other two. Wenger assembled precisely one decent defence himself that lasted a couple of seasons. It's not a loving stretch to point out that his early success was on a bedrock of a defence he inherited and aside for a brief quartet mentioned above, has had middling to laughable defences over the seasons since.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Leicester like season of success at the back in 2004

i like having a lol at arsenal like anyone else but this is too much

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

It's pretty much a fact that Wenger's defence got worse the longer he was at the club. Its heyday was Dixon/Adams/Keown/Winterburn, quite literally one of the best defences the English top flight has seen. Lauren Campbell Toure Cole was of course decent and had a Leicester like season of success at the back in 2004. Cole hosed off though, Toure became a parody of himself and I don't recall the trajectory of the other two. Wenger assembled precisely one decent defence himself that lasted a couple of seasons. It's not a loving stretch to point out that his early success was on a bedrock of a defence he inherited and aside for a brief quartet mentioned above, has had middling to laughable defences over the seasons since.

I agree with this. And I loved Wenger. I drank the kool aid. But he's been mythologized way too much. And no, I don't want to give Wenger credit for poo poo anymore because hindsight exists. We can say that he built zero good defenses after the invincibles and that squad was made early in his tenure before rich owners/TV deals changed the league forever and before he was given full control over transfers.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So when are Arsenal gonna hire Simeone?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsenal made it to the Champion’s League final with a back four of Flamini, Senderos, Djourou and Eboue, beating Juventus and Madrid along the way. Lightning in a loving bottle, that back four.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Big Ron Koemans just come back on the market. Always thought he just needed to spend more money to really match his vision and ambition, would be a good fit for man u imo

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Big Ron Koemans just come back on the market. Always thought he just needed to spend more money to really match his vision and ambition, would be a good fit for man u imo

I know you're a Leeds fan, but this is too far

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Bape Culture posted:

The cars on fire and
There’s ole at the wheel

Ninpos clutching Taffs picked through the rubble
and pulled out their hair

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/status/1453713494096949255?s=21

Sparta Prague have decided to cut out the middle man and just buy part of West Ham

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/status/1453713494096949255?s=21

Sparta Prague have decided to cut out the middle man and just buy part of West Ham

Are there any other good Czech footballers for us to buy? Schick and Hlozek maybe?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

Are there any other good Czech footballers for us to buy? Schick and Hlozek maybe?

Hlozek is the one I’ve heard making the rounds. Especially since the guy owns Sparta Prague as well. Mickey and his terrible hamstrings may get some backup yet

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

T Bowl posted:

I read that Atletico made Simeone the best paid football manager in the world (at least in terms of on the books salary). How much would Arsenal be willing to spend on a manager?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

I read that Atletico made Simeone the best paid football manager in the world (at least in terms of on the books salary). How much would Arsenal be willing to spend on a manager?

£1 more I reckon

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Eric Cantonese posted:

Just a joke from when that was the narrative because Wenger was gone and the defense was terrible.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

sticksy posted:

It's telling how weak Ole's position is and how little he's respected by the players that Eric loving Bailly is telling him off in front of the others in the changing room.

lol that was my thought too. him? of all people?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

T Bowl posted:

when klopp leaves in 2024 i would love for him to be the successor but that will never happen

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/UtdDistrict/status/1453995867396980741

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Some of those players realising they would be sold by a manager with half an ounce of tactical ability.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just texting my boss's boss to say that I suck and please don't take it out on the guy who will never lose faith in me

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I reckon Van Der Beek was one of those players

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

greazeball posted:

Just texting my boss's boss to say that I suck and please don't take it out on the guy who will never lose faith in me

ok slab head

but seriously maguire's getting sold to norwich if ole goes

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eighty million pounds sterling.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I don't really watch utd often enough... Is Maguire genuinely poo poo, or just not a world class defender?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

I don't really watch utd often enough... Is Maguire genuinely poo poo, or just not a world class defender?

He's their captain and the most expensive defender in the history of world football, I'm sure he's a better defender than I am but that's not really the standard he should be measured by.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

i've always thought maguire was pretty alright, but

1) i think manu fans got rather spoiled by the likes of vidic/ferdinand for a long time and just sort of expect every center back signing they make to be a world beater

and

2) he's naturally going to be compared with VVD as their career trajectories and prices were similar and that's a tough comparison

he isn't worth what they paid for him but he also isn't the thing holding the team back from greatness.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Maguire doesn't really do much marshalling which is what you really expect from a a captain and your star CB.

He's very quiet and just kinda moans after the fact

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Maguire has a lot of comedy moments where he gets turned inside out by half-decent players and wrestles his own teammates out of the way. He's not quite Phil Jones tripping over his own feet but from a similar school.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The point about United fans being pampered is probably there. There are only a handful of top class central defenders available in the market. Maguire isn’t worth 80m but he fulfills the homegrown quota and there aren’t too many better out there.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Vegetable posted:

there aren’t too many better out there.

English CBs or CBs in general?

Because if it's the latter then ehhhhhhhhhh

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Maguire was right at his level with Leicester, which is not disrespectful to either.

Manchester United should never have sold Evans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Maguire has been really really good for Man Utd for most of his stay. He's been loving awful this season though. But not as bad as Shaw.

Reprisal posted:

Manchester United should never have sold Evans.

Also, 100% this.