Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Darknet Diaries is a podcast with stories from the world of information security hosted by Jack Rhysider. I'm not a computer science whiz but this is one of my favorite shows for how he presents issues, does interviews, and the stellar level of research. It's so much fun to listen and wonder where he's going with a story then after a few twists be amazed not everyone knows about it.

I appreciate he does a great job presenting complicated tech in an understandable way without making the listener feel dumb, he'd make an excellent teacher. Also good that whatever his personal views he keeps the show politically neutral, not in a "both sides" smug way but in avoiding tangents and focusing on the topic.

For a show with over a 100 episodes I'd think there'd be a danger of including interviews or topics that haven't been properly vetted to have enough content but so far that hasn't been a problem. It's fascinating when he goes in-depth on something I'd never heard of before and then weeks later I see it in the news and have a framework for why it's important. I like how he'll cover stories with a global impact, then have anecdotes from penetration testers that are entertaining thrillers about sneaking into secure buildings and you have no clue if they'll get away.

Tons of great stuff in the show's catalog, with these standout episodes to recommend:
Ep 6: Beirut Bank Job: Story of a guy hired to sneak into a bank to test their security and what goes wrong.

Ep 21: Black Duck Eggs: Exciting tale of operatives sent to test security at a factory and what an odd menu item at a restaurant in that town meant for international espionage. Wouldn't be surprised if this was adapted into a movie.

Ep 26: IRS: Looking into how the IRS operates and why fraudulent refund claims are common. I included this as it had great tips on how to secure your tax return, I had no idea the IRS let you set up a profile and password to keep others from filing for you.

Ep 27: Chartbreakers: Ever wonder why shows you've never heard of climb the iTunes podcast charts when it seems like no one is listening? Jack learns about how easy and cheap it is to boost a no name show to the big league.

Ep 39: 3 Alarm Lamp Scooter: This story starts off slow then goes in such an insane direction I would have thought it was a hoax until I found multiple news articles confirming what happened.

Ep 99 & 100: The Spy and NSO: Two part episode about a security company that makes tools for hacking into iPhones they insist is only sold to governments that want to keep an eye on bad guys (gee what could go wrong), including a super powerful exploit that allowed iPhones to be taken over without needing to trick people into clicking links. After this episode aired about a week later Apple rolled out an emergency patch to fix this issue. Not gonna say the show made that happen but it was cool to understand why it was necessary.

https://darknetdiaries.com/

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This podcast is dope, it fell out of my rotation a while back but funnily enough I started it up again today. Some great reporting.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I got into this because of the Black Duck Eggs episode and I’m hooked. So much cool and interesting stuff in this series; I’m really enjoying the episodes about penetration testers. As someone with a background in physical and operational security this honestly sounds like a dream job.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Episode 99-100 are amazing

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've been working my way through the backlog. I'd like to throw in Ep 59 The Courthouse as another standout.

If you like this podcast, I'd recommend getting a hold of Sandworm by Andy Greenberg. It goes way more in depth for a lot of topics covered by the podcast like NotPetya, Russia's cyberwars with Ukraine, and Stuxnet.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I got into this because of the Black Duck Eggs episode and I’m hooked. So much cool and interesting stuff in this series; I’m really enjoying the episodes about penetration testers. As someone with a background in physical and operational security this honestly sounds like a dream job.

Oh yeah those are great, I’m in no way an expert but at MegaCorps I’ve been at it is fascinating to think about the entry procedures and how they compare to what the testers talk about. Like how important it is to prevent tailgating, make sure people without badges are properly vetted, and securing side entrances. One of the testers was fond of using the “fake pregnancy pads and carrying a large box, could you hold that door?” approach and it would take a professional security team to stop someone like that and demand proper credentials, especially if she began acting indignant.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I forget which episode it is but the one about Microsoft and the Xbox 360 hacking scene absolutely whips rear end.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

40-Degree Day posted:

I forget which episode it is but the one about Microsoft and the Xbox 360 hacking scene absolutely whips rear end.

Oh yeah that was great. Eps 45 & 46, Xbox Underground.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Episode 99-100 are amazing

For sure, after listening I saw this story further casting doubt on the idea the spyware company has any interest in really only selling their tools to stop bad guys.

quote:

Sheikh Set Israeli Spyware on Ex-Wife in Custody Battle, Court Says

The ruler of Dubai was found to have hacked the phones of his former wife, a Jordanian princess, and of her lawyers. One of those targeted is a member of the House of Lords in Britain.

quote:

LONDON — When the hyper-wealthy ruler of the Middle Eastern emirate of Dubai found himself embroiled in a British court case with the Jordanian princess who was once his wife, he did more than hire top-shelf lawyers.

He also deployed high-tech software purchased from an Israeli company to hack the cellphones of his ex-wife, two of her lawyers and three other associates, according to court documents made public on Wednesday.

One of the lawyers, Fiona Shackleton, a baroness, is a sitting member of the House of Lords — potentially adding friction to the close relationship between Britain and the United Arab Emirates, which includes Dubai.

It appeared to be the first confirmed case of the software, known as Pegasus and sold by the Israel-based NSO Group, being successfully used to hack the phone of a sitting British official, according to Bill Marczak, a researcher at the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto’s Munk School of Global Affairs, who examined the phones mentioned in the case and determined they had been hacked.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/06/world/europe/dubai-sheik-hacked-phones-ex-wife-uk.html

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

NSO group software has also been tied to multiple cartel killings. I think they touch on that in the episode.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Time to bump this thread, I know there's not usually a lot to post about DND, but does anyone else reckon that the latest episode on "Team Executor" was pretty worthless?

Jack doesn't seem to really know or care about the history of consoles, which is fine, but then he draws lots of conclusions which aren't supported by facts. He also conflates piracy with homebrew continually and seems to have a poor understanding of the "spirit of the GPL".

Then the subject of the episode is this poor guy who seems to have suffered a miscarriage of justice, but isn't actually involved in modding at all. He also can't really speak properly.

I was hopeful for a nice change from pentesters lying about their exploits but was let down.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh you’re right I usually enjoy the show even the longer eps, but got about halfway through that one and was too disinterested to continue. Yeah I’m not always in total agreement with Jack but it was confusing and naive when he seemed to advocate pirating all games, that didn’t work out well for Dreamcast. Got the vibe Jack should have binned this ep as just not working out but maybe he was low on content.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
There's not even a mention of how the guy being sued by Nintendo is called Gary BOWSER like c'mon

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I can't believe Nintendo would sue his own brother.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

The guy being sued by Nintendo and the ceo are both named bowser? That can’t be right?
It is right. What the gently caress. Someone needs to look into this. It’s not like they’re both called Cohen or Douglas.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

While there's recent traffic in this thread, I am happy to report that the latest episode about phone mercenary spyware is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

~Coxy posted:

While there's recent traffic in this thread, I am happy to report that the latest episode about phone mercenary spyware is decent.

Yep just listened to it. Its great he is still generating good episodes.