Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mighty Steed posted:

Enjoyed, you built up a strong economic lead quickly and that seemed to make the outcome inevitable.

How long did the match take to play in real time and how long do you get for each turn? Also how did your ranking change as a result?

I think the early traps played a crucial role too. He had two tanks earlier than me, but they both got avoidably killed (along with both his recons) after he took bait I'd left for him.

I think the match took about 2 hours in real time. I had set the match rules so that we could take days for our turns if need be since I had no idea how frequently people play and I didn't want to get stuck if I had a busy workday, but as it turned out we both just played with only a few minutes between turns and finished about 2 hours after starting.

As for my rating, I don't think it changed at all. Possibly there are official vs unofficial games or something and only the former affect ranking, I'm not sure.

anilEhilated posted:

That was really cool (also, AWBW is still going, wow), wouldn't mind seeing more multiplayer videos like that.

I'll probably do a few more in the future, we'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Say, I know this isn't my thread, but... I do have some pretty neat S-Rank speedrun videos for the Advance Campaign of the 1st game. Would this be the appropriate place to show 'em off?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

Say, I know this isn't my thread, but... I do have some pretty neat S-Rank speedrun videos for the Advance Campaign of the 1st game. Would this be the appropriate place to show 'em off?

It's alright with me. I certainly don't plan to play any AW1 since I never liked that game.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
13: Foul Play

Both Sensei missions are very well-designed maps. This one is quite creative in layout and has some interesting gimmicks that lead to several separate battles going on at once.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't think it's fair to say that Kanbei would have been better on a map with a massive pre-deployed army. Of course he would be, 30/30 Kanbei is already cheating before pre-deployments.

Apart from that, impressive showing with Sensei. That enemy tank in the NE must have been so frustrated.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Omobono posted:

I don't think it's fair to say that Kanbei would have been better on a map with a massive pre-deployed army. Of course he would be, 30/30 Kanbei is already cheating before pre-deployments.

That's true, but it's also partly my point. What I've been saying on every yellow comet mission so far is that pretty much no matter what the mission is, Kanbei would be better than Sonja or Sensei. Even when maps are supposedly designed to play to their strengths.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
14: Duty & Honor

The introduction of laser cannons! This is another mission which I used to not like, but became very fond of when I got better at the game.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was wondering if you would get an episode released today, and sure enough you did. I did get Adder's tank to get in range of my mech at the start of the mission, and that caused him to get and use his regular power. It ended up with him capturing cities sooner, but getting less of them overall. Also, he retreated his APC. and that was really annoying having to follow it to kill it. Still got a 300 following your strategy.

Oh, and for the record, I hate the next mission.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

General Revil posted:

I was wondering if you would get an episode released today, and sure enough you did. I did get Adder's tank to get in range of my mech at the start of the mission, and that caused him to get and use his regular power. It ended up with him capturing cities sooner, but getting less of them overall. Also, he retreated his APC. and that was really annoying having to follow it to kill it. Still got a 300 following your strategy.

Oh, and for the record, I hate the next mission.

I've had a similar experience with Adder sometimes moving into range of the mech, and thus getting his power earlier. The strategy seems to work just about the same regardless. Maybe even a little better, as you mentioned.

The APC is a real problem! I've had to run it down occasionally too. For some reason, it does usually stop running before reaching the edge of the map at least.

As for the next mission, I hate the randomness and used to dislike the mission a lot, but it's grown on me. I've got a creative new strategy I just tried, which I'm looking forward to showing.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Advance Wars By Web, An Opponent with 100x More Experience!

My second-ever game of Advance Wars by web, going up against a vastly more experienced opponent playing a stronger CO.

Melth fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 12, 2021

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Good video. Edge of your seat match indeed.

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg
Yes good video, fun to watch

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mighty Steed posted:

Good video. Edge of your seat match indeed.

Thanks! I don't think I've often been that on-edge about a game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So are units like Bombers just too expensive for competitive play? The only really costly unit in that match seemed to be the ill-advised Missile.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

anilEhilated posted:

So are units like Bombers just too expensive for competitive play? The only really costly unit in that match seemed to be the ill-advised Missile.

I'm pondering whether my opponent was saving for either a bomber or neotank on the last turn.

I think that this game ended fairly early, before either of us had much income. Last game (which went a turn or two longer) I was going to build a bomber shortly to wreck the enemy's MD tanks.

I've been cautious about investing a lot into an easily countered unit though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

anilEhilated posted:

Pretty much, and some other issues. The design for the Bomber is that it's a powerful 1 shot unit that can't take much in return. However the issue is that enough of a terrain bonus, like say cities, can remove that one shot potential because of the way defense worked in the pre-days of ruin games. So if Bombers can't insta delete units, then what's the point? Why not just use cheaper 2 shot units like Battle Copters and whatnot? Which is what players do. There's not exactly a lot of use for Bombers in PVP since they're pretty inefficient and outclassed by other units.

Note that Days of Ruin changed a lot to make them more viable situational units, so they're a lot better there. The much needed defense nerf really helped them out for one, letting them OHKO units far more often, and there's more situations where they can shine if you have the funds.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

How did Days of Ruin change defense? Multiplicative instead of additive, so (for example) two different 20% reduction come out to a 36% reduction instead of 40%?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Omobono posted:

How did Days of Ruin change defense? Multiplicative instead of additive, so (for example) two different 20% reduction come out to a 36% reduction instead of 40%?

In the cartoon era games, defense worked like this: 20% more defense meant that defense is multiplied by 0.8. However this actually meant that the unit had 125 effective HP, as it would need to take effectively 125 HP of damage to die. (100 / 0.8 = 125.) Meaning that the unit was 25% more durable, not 20%. +1% more defense was just inherently worth more than the same amount of offense, as 20% more offense was not equal to 20% more defense since 20% more offense cannot cancel out a defense bonus of 20%. This would result in 100 * 1.2 * 0.8 = 96 damage. 4 points of damage lost. And this got worse the higher the defense was, meaning that 100% defense meant complete invulnerability since it would multiply the damage by 0.

This is also why low defense COs are very bad if they don't have an amazing upside, as their units will be torn through very easily due to how valuable defense is in the cartoon era games. A defense penalty of 20% is giving the other side a free 25% attack boost for one.

Days of Ruin changed it so that damage calculations make attack and defense completely equal. 20% more defense will be completely cancelled out by 20% more attack. To simplify things, in such a scenario, the damage formula amounts to (base damage * attack) / defense = final damage. So (100 * 1.2) / 1.2 would result in the bonuses cancelling out and leaving the 100 damage alone. This also means that 100% defense is no longer complete invulnerability, as instead it means that damage is halved.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Days of Ruin was by far the best-balanced game in the series I think and did a great job in general fixing a ton of problems that had been rotting since famicom wars.
One of my favorite video game stories too.

The only thing it needed was a hard campaign and a more CO variety (Making Davis, The Beast, and The Fanatic playable would have been obvious ways to do that).

Regarding bombers- my newb perspective is that they could probably still be very good as counter units. Wonderful counters to something like an MD Tank, Rocket, or other expensive ground units. Heck, they can even instant kill Anti-Airs sometimes. If my opponent deploys something like that, I would probably use a bomber. Particularly against MD tanks, a battle-copter doesn't really cut it unless they stupidly stand around on roads.

I am also thinking that a bomber could be a good choice if I'm ahead economically and have a decent number of tanks (to shut out anti-airs). That could force an enemy who can't afford it into a fighter arms race.

And of course the mere existence of bombers in the game is one of the reasons why ships are unplayable on most maps I think.

In this first game as I mentioned I was considering building a bomber because my opponent had MD tanks (and he'd avoided the artillery that I had pre-emptively built because I expected MD tanks). In this second game, it ended before either of us had a lot of funds coming in. I probably would have built a big unit on my next turn, and I bet he would have too (hence he saved money on his penultimate turn, whereas he usually saved everything)

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Is there, by any chance, any kind of Advance Wars by Web discussion/community on these forums? I've done a few cursory searches and only found mentions of it on old AW2 or AW:DS let's plays.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Melth posted:

Is there, by any chance, any kind of Advance Wars by Web discussion/community on these forums? I've done a few cursory searches and only found mentions of it on old AW2 or AW:DS let's plays.

You could probably go start one in Retro Games.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I had a last few videos somewhere in the pipeline before my current hiatus began. Here's my third-ever Advance Wars By Web game.

Advance Wars By Web, Co-Commentary with AdvanceWarrior

For this one, I went with lower tier COs and picked one who is bad with tanks in order to try to get myself to play in a different way.

This is also my first time ever doing a co-commentary with someone else, in this case the other youtuber I played the match against. Certainly an interesting and new experience.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
That was very interesting. It was nice to have commentary from both players (and I've always found two commentators works much better than one in general). Also interesting how the early push in the center didn't achieve its immediate goals to take cities, but then allowed you to break through in the end.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
15: A Mirror Darkly

The second Sonja mission, and the last time I'll have to play her!

I've got a new strategy this time, and it worked out interestingly.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think this was by far my least favorite stage when I played this as a kid. However, with making the choke point on the right, it didn't suck. Also, not losing the mech on the first turn to AA also helped.

I did do the choke point at the very end of the pass, not where the AA stopped moving. It let me block more units on the right, but it also exposed my blocking tank to a flanking attack that killed it. Managed to get the 300, so I'm happy with it.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

General Revil posted:

I think this was by far my least favorite stage when I played this as a kid. However, with making the choke point on the right, it didn't suck. Also, not losing the mech on the first turn to AA also helped.

I did do the choke point at the very end of the pass, not where the AA stopped moving. It let me block more units on the right, but it also exposed my blocking tank to a flanking attack that killed it. Managed to get the 300, so I'm happy with it.

Nicely done! Perhaps a compromise position for the blocking tank, not quite at the top of the pass but not as far south as mine, would be the best place for it. Alternatively, perhaps one can just create distractions on the left for any big units which threaten to flank.

In any case, it does seem like this strategy makes the mission suck much less.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Why do I get the feeling that Kanbei could have held the center with just three medium tanks?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Why do I get the feeling that Kanbei could have held the center with just three medium tanks?

Something like that would certainly have made for a very interesting mission, holding a front as Kanbei with just a few strong units. I guess we do get some of that (usually) in the hard campaign version of the second-last mission, where the game just tells you to use Kanbei for the defense against the giant army.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Kanbei kanbe quite a lot of fun to play as! Max too.

16: The Hunt's End

I guess Kanbei gets payback for Olaf pretending to help by not actually doing anything till the end of the Blue Moon campaign.

This is one of my favorite missions, and I think the video turned out pretty well too.

I'm especially looking forward to the one I'll release this weekend though!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The first Blue Moon chapter begins the rehabilitation of Olaf

17: Toy Box

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Melth posted:

Kanbei kanbe quite a lot of fun to play as! Max too.

16: The Hunt's End

So I know there are at least two versions of Advance Wars 2, and I think you have the older version. I just fired up this mission and Nell is the one that speaks with Kanbei. I have a save state so I can record this for you once I get home mid-week.

Edit: Just played this stage. I got a 95 on my power. It's because Adder's missile on Max's side made me take too long, and he produced enough units to push me out of perfect power territory. I'm going to be stupid and replay it, even though 295 is an S rank.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 6, 2022

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Advance Wars By Web, First Ranked Match

I think this latest video is, besides being my first attempt at a ranked multiplayer match of AW, also the most ambitious in terms of editing. I had a lot of fun making it.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Enjoyed the battle and the editing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It baffles me that Sturm is even allowed in ladder matches.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I think in AW2 he had +20% offense rather than -20%, so they kind of did some balancing.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
AWBW still lists him in Tier 0 in standard, even with that nerf. Fog knocks him down to Tier 1 (and "high funds", which I think is 2k income per property, down to tier 2).

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Cythereal posted:

Me too!

I've noticed that a lot of COs are in very different tiers in fog games compared to non-fog games. One of the craziest at first glance is that Grit drops from banned tier to high tier in fog. I think it's pretty obvious that fog actually makes Grit stronger, so dropping him a tier seemed pretty weird.

And as I mentioned in my game with Advance Warrior, Sami drops two whole tiers from mid tier to the bottom of bottom tier in fog. But intuitively, she's probably stronger in fog since she can do nasty surprise captures or ambush tanks with mechs and whatnot.

I've asked around about this and it's because of the current map design meta. Apparently almost all fog maps being made right now are
1) almost devoid of forests
2) Very wide open with no chokepoints anywhere
3) Structured so that there are very few infantry vs infantry fights (Allegedly. I've seen plenty of inf vs inf fights though)
4) Set up with a 2 base side vs a 1 base + 1 airport side

And these things happen to make Grit and Sami less powerful. And therefore the decision was made to mark them as universally lower tier in fog, even though they are actually disadvantaged only by the current map making culture rather than by fog itself.

I have no idea why in the world Sturm would drop a tier in fog regardless since none of those things seem bad for him.

I can't say I'm fond of the idea that all fog maps should adhere to that structure to begin with. And I definitely don't like the idea that those current design culture mores should be treated as so fundamental that the entire tier list should be built with them in mind. But that's the rationale.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Perhaps the rationale for Sturm dropping a tier is that there aren't a lot of forests (or mountains?) on the maps, so his tread units don't benefit as much from his movement bonus?

Also wrt Sami dropping to bottom of bottom tier in fog, that's just alphabetical order, unless that's just a massive coincidence. Not sure why she drops at all though—indirects being weaker due to map design, like Grit?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Staltran posted:

Perhaps the rationale for Sturm dropping a tier is that there aren't a lot of forests (or mountains?) on the maps, so his tread units don't benefit as much from his movement bonus?

Also wrt Sami dropping to bottom of bottom tier in fog, that's just alphabetical order, unless that's just a massive coincidence. Not sure why she drops at all though—indirects being weaker due to map design, like Grit?

You're probably right that the assumption is that there aren't many forests or mountains in fog maps. Even though those are the two terrain types which make fog maps most interesting.

I just found some stats on CO win rates in fog, and Sami apparently is the absolute worst CO (among the ones allowed in global league that is, so Flak and Jugger are excluded). Weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Introducing Colin, the opposite of Kanbei but almost as broken!

18: Neotanks?!