Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/pirate-doom

Released the same year as Bioshock: Infinite, Pirate Doom is Doom 2 with pirates, because it's also Monkey Island.

THE CAST

THE ADVENTURE

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
What the heck? This is the first time I've seen this.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, I played through this just last week. It's a pretty good WAD!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
"I'm playing Jizzdoom 420"
-SelenicMartian, 2021

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
I wasn't planning on playing this for a long time, since I've a mountain of other WADs to do, but you've forced my hand. I'll play this as the LP goes so I neither spoil the WAD for myself, nor do I have to skip a Selenic Martian LP. Anyway!

I really appreciate how either HP for everything thus far has been dropped, or weapon damage increased. Dropping pirates, often in a single shot, is really satisfying, so is taking out imps in only two or three shots, and it only takes like ten bullets to kill a demon? Cool. The basic melee swing is pretty strong too, compared to the fists, even before you pick up some spinach. The shotguns butt doesn't seem to do much damage at all though.

You pointed out on the first map that you can't shoot at enemies on the upper floor through the grate, and that's true, but it's also because technically there's nothing there. To fake true 3d room over room, Arch/Darch (he apparently goes by both) uses a silent teleport linedef or a pass-through portal on the stairs to sneakily teleport you from one area of the map to another separate staircase.

It's why there's no view of either floor from the stairs, or any enemies on the stairs because live/dead enemies would be an immediately giveaway. You can often detect silent teleports/pass-through portals if you're paying close attention. There'll be slight shifts in textures as it happens. If you have the map open when going down/up the stairs, you'll also see yourself on the map blinking over to a new area.

The one secret and enemy you missed were both in the one spot I've timestamped in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UpqEIhJjlc&t=148s

Speaking of which, the demons in skin tight blue pants makes me wonder. I'm surprised those monsters even know how to dress themselves. Are they pirates so evil they turned into slavering murder monsters or is someone pulling those pants onto every single one of them? Or are they from the Piracy layer of Hell?

Also, most WADs will have a little bit of a snippet of story in the .txt file to give some context and even help establish a Mood, which can be surprisingly effective in subtly changing how a WAD feels and plays, IMO. This WAD has none of that whatsoever, so I've been left to construct the idea that LeChuck has pushed Guybrush Threepwood Too Far For The Last Time.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 16, 2021

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Doomguybrush Threepwood

Always nice to see LPs of Doom mods, there's so much cool stuff to showcase from that community :)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's not all Monkey Island; I'm fairly sure the skull and crossbones logo on the boat's sail in the first map comes from Rayman 2. Anyhow, really glad to see this LPd, I've been hearing about it here and there but had no idea it had a singleplayer component.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

Doomguybrush Threepwood

Doombrush Threepguy?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

NewMars posted:

Oh, I played through this just last week. It's a pretty good WAD!

Who doesn't love a good wad.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Now I want to hear At Doom's Gate on the concertina

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Fun fact: when the first versions of this WAD came out years ago, there was a small period of time in which the WAD was only available as "Corsair Doom".

Why? Because most automated sites and search engines don't want anything to do with copyright violation, and "pirate Doom" just set all the alarm bells off.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The environmental sound effects in these two levels are pretty impressive.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
It's nice to see the Dopefish make a return. Such a cute little fishy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Some of those weapon models look pretty familiar... I think the double shotgun is from Outlaws?

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
These two maps were a definite improvement over the first two, but I still think they're being carried by the atmosphere and novelty of the conversion. Not that any of the four have been -bad- but you wouldn't call them great either if they had been regular doom 2 textures and all. Since I did pistol starts, I had to kill the revenant with the regular shotgun, which was shockingly easy compared to vanilla.

The secrets that you missed this time were mostly inconsequential in terms of what would matter to carryovers. In Trezer Cove, the end of the cave tunnel leading to the first large open room that has both the armours in it and the tracks passing though, there's a big golden panel on the wall. Use it, and you can get an invul.. to uh... make dealing with some imps and lost souls as you use the lift a lot easier?

One of the secrets you did find, though was the one that just has one beer mug behind it... and that's it. As far as I can tell it's like a joke secret.

Also you made the same mistake I did. When you jump down to the mega-armour, and the floor raises you out of the chest... it will actually keep going up until it's as high as the tracks so you don't need to run through the map again. You cans ee the pillar there as you run by it.

On the Sunken Ghost Ship, if you shoot the pirate flag in the same room you found the map secret, a niche on the far wall opens to reveal a partial invis. That makes dealing with the big main room fight a bit easier as there's a bunch of hitscanners, but its not huge.

What would be very helpful to get right off the bat, is in the room with the green armour that the grog barrel hallway leads to has a secret. There's more grog barrels directly in front of the green armour and blowing them up reveals a small area with a spinach.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 23, 2021

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Some of those weapon models look pretty familiar... I think the double shotgun is from Outlaws?
The regular shotgun and the pistol are from Outlaws as well. I know that at least one of the other weapons is from a different and quite unexpected source, though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's time for a big bar fight, some gambling, a concert and… uh… I don't remember.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The two-eyed cacodemon is wonderful.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Loving the creativity of this mod, especially that trippy circus level

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure what a circus has to do with pirates but I was getting some serious... Serious Sam vibes, when Serious Sam gets a gimmicky, from that level. Just too much of it at once.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
The soulsphere you couldn't reach is attained by a secret in the blue key suite. There's a patch on the wall marking where you can open it. It was like the one spot on that wall you didn't try to use. You can also get the dual flintlock pistols from behind a big sign in the bar near the stairs and also a spinach behind a pirate skull flag (with kitchen knives instead of cutlasses) behind the bar. As you said, Pirate DOOMs secrets don't really matter much to carryover playthroughs, but that's because most WADs (with some exceptions) are balanced for pistol starts, so finding the one instance of a good weapon on a map or a powerup in a secret can be a huge deal. And that's how it should be. Carryover players get some goodies, pistol start players get crap that might be lifesaving or transformative to how the map plays out from there.

I think it was a Memento Mori II map I once played that was a brutal grind with just the shotgun and chaingun until on one run I found that the only SSG is hidden in a secret really early on, and it completely transformed how the map played.

The Highway to Hell fight was probably the big moment of this WAD for me so far. A really fun and chaotic battle in an otherwise so far decent series of maps. The Circus! map though, I really loved. I've always liked gimmick maps provided they don't get drawn out way too long, and none of these are.

It was on the Circus! map that I discovered that you can swing your cutlass while using the super shotgun, which just makes an already tremendously useful weapon all the more useful.

An ammo saving habit of mine has always been to melee demons whenever possible if I have the chainsaw or berserk, but I've been doing it without exception in this WAD due to the high power of the cutlass even before you find a spinach. That discovery only makes it even easier to do in the middle of an all out brawl.

Stacking enemies and standing on top of lost souls (which also happened to me!) are not vanilla behaviour, it's something added by the source ports. GZDoom has it on by default I believe.. In vanilla DOOM enemies and the player have infinite height. Most infamous for allowing lost souls and cacodemons to hurt and pen you in sometimes without you even being able to see or shoot them (also enemies cheating and being able to melee you from 100 feet above/below when you cannot do likewise. Also sometimes just messing up a maps progression if a ledge you're meant to jump down from is being blocked by some jerks. Hate it when that happens.)

Anyway, one secret that would be really useful going forward both for carryover and pistol starting, to survive the magic trick room, is that when you land on the first platform in the trampoline room, and turn around to face the entrance, you'll see that lion head switch texture, and if you jump to it and press it, a megasphere appears!

There was also a really minor secret in the tightrope room. When you take the elevator up, just jump back onto the blue fence that acts as the perimeter of the room.

I didn't find anyway to stop the magic trick room from getting out of hand myself, besides just letting the monsters in-fight without you, and I hate leaving things alive when I've plenty of ways to kill them.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 2, 2021

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We are so not done with gimmick levels.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- That bandana on the Cacodemon should have a skull with one centered eye socket, not two. Missed opportunity.
- You're running short on shells in part because you're using the double-barrel on even enemies which can be one-shot by the single-barrel.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The ship level is a very cool idea, but it seemed a bit short for what it was trying to do.

The dynamite sprite is from Outlaws as well, but the cannon is from Moorhuhn Piraten, of all things.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

The bit where you were able to close the door and listen to the infighting for a few seconds was just so satisfying to me. :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Increasing the cannonball speed on the ship level would be a 1:1 % increase in how enjoyable the level is.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Increasing the cannonball speed on the ship level would be a 1:1 % increase in how enjoyable the level is.

I agree. I liked it, but thankfully it was short.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This game continues going places. And gives us the single best gun.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

well that first level was horrible to look at.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

well that first level was horrible to look at.

Yeah, no kidding.
I was relieved to see the 2nd level knew what light was.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Wait till you see the levels actually taking place at night.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hey so if you're still trying to find a way to make the game a bit brighter, try this is the GZDoom options:

Options > Display Options > Hardware Renderer > Sector Light mode

Try setting it to Bright or another mode. There are a bunch to choose from, and I always feel most of them are too dark for my liking. Yeah maybe you lose some of the intended effect but darkness effects are always hit or miss for me personally. Hope this helps.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

FPzero posted:

Options > Display Options > Hardware Renderer > Sector Light mode

Try setting it to Bright or another mode.
That's the thing. The option does not affect Pirate Doom lighting at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There are other implications about reskinning Nazis into bad Native stereotypes but I choose not to think too hard about a Doom wad.

Lighting or not I liked the fort a lot better than the temple but that might have just been the enemy variety. The archvile's a neat surprise but not exactly exciting otherwise.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I personally prefer to think that the reskin isn't actually doing that and is simply using what is available and possible within the constraint of the medium, a Doom wad, to make a commentary on colonialism, colonialism is an act of plunder and murder done in the victims' own land and home, perfectly represented by piracy.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A cyberpirate is nuked, and another candidate for the Best loving Gun is obtained.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they tweaked the weapon mechanics here. In regular Doom, Cyberdemons are immune to splash damage which makes the rocket launcher a pretty bad weapon against them. The TNT seemed to make pretty short work of the Cyberpirate though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even more Serious Sam vibes from that cannon. I was also thinking it seemed your arsenal was pretty lacking when it comes to a Cyberdemon at this point but I guess you're "supposed" to find the cannon while fighting him.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The final gun wasn't there in the original release of the mod, but its a good thing it got added!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The term for that article of clothing is A-shirt or (more crudely) a wifebeater.