Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Zion is becoming the hill of Jerusalem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Morey is going to land Lillard isn't he?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That seems like a reasonable decline. CJ + 3 FR for a 1 year rental seems like not a good deal, and that's factoring in that CJ with his contract is probably under water value wise.

Holiday is great but I don't think that turns Portland into some no-doubt contender.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

skipmyseashells posted:

why the hell is dame still in Portland then lol

morestuff posted:

• "Lillard wants a two-year, $107 million extension in July…beyond his $48.8 million in 2024-2025 to pay him $51 million at 35 years old and $55 million at 36 years old"

The money, honey.

Good for Dame. Give loyalty, get loyalty.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

lol this makes the Mavs worse.

Maybe, but with probably an easier pathway to get better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Finnish government apparently doesn't like Cleveland's playoff chances, they are calling Lauri Markkanen to start his military service April 11th.

(It's the "sports science" training and I am pretty sure they can delay the start if the Cavs are in the playoffs)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Estimated birthrate is about 4.5 people per second, so that's a LOT of infants who can effectively guard Michael Beasley.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm not correcting anything. I've watched a lot of Michael Beasley, I have a cat that I named Beasley in honor of him. I think he's right.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

John Stockton constantly coming by and harassing you about his anti-vax opinions that are bolstered by bis untouchable assist record seems like a proper punishment for being rich.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Isn't that just Precious?™

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I sorta assume they'll start with Riley as a broadcaster which more or less matches:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it easier to shoot threes in Mexico City (or Denver) because of the altitude? Or is altitude neutralized by playing indoors?

Not directly, but maybe having defenders adjusting to the altitude might open things up a bit? Either way, 43% is a good number and not likely significantly impacted by playing in Mexico.

Closouts in the NBA happen way faster than in the G-League though so I'd expect anyone's shooting to be better in the G-League.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They probably should shut things down for a couple weeks but at this point I don't know if that would help all that much.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, wtf. Ray Allen gets slandered by people who think he came into the league at 32 years old for Boston.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Cryptocurrency and NFTs might be the two most annoying topics/communities on the internet, but machine learning is a close third.

Machine learning has actual application though, even if it is overused and overwrought. 3rd is fine but there's a big gap imo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Actually that's a really good point. They cut down the testing of vaccinated players, but the shot is really now better at making Covid not be as bad, it's only somewhat effective at having you not catch it. Putting the testing back at last season levels will help catch people quickly to prevent spreading.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He was just unconscious. He's a streaky shooter but when he's dialed in he is just absurdly good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Does it, though? If he took seven fewer shots a game, would defenses suddenly say "oh, well, we can play off DLo now, where we couldn't before!" It's getting kind of hard to argue that he has some kind of defensive impact as they are one of the best defensive teams in the league when he's on the floor (100.8 ppp) and mediocre-to-bad when he's off (108.3 ppp). But, like, can't he just shoot a little less?

Well, he probably shouldn't shoot less. He's historically a good scorer and abandoning that because of a slump is a bad idea. His november splits were already looking better before he missed time and been slow in december again. However, in particular Russell is a really big threat as a step-back & off the bounce shooter which creates a ton of gravity. If he keeps shooting crappy eventually that will subside but right now he has such a risk of killing you with the ball in his hands he is opening things up. In particular, that threat makes it harder to shut down Towns, and if teams do that the Wolves lose.

I mean, basically D'Lo will never be a 60% TS guy, but if he's not shooting this team is going to go nowhere, so let it fly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Why is Sac worth so much? More than Denver?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

if the players union doesn't say no to this, they are a horrible union.

Keep in mind, the players are much different from other unions, they only make money if the league makes money. If they do a shutdown or any other action that impacts revenue, it comes out if the players pockets the same as it would owners. The players union and the league have largely been aligned through this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Trying to use lineup on/off like that across the entire season is not a great stat. Patrick Beverly is +5.7 in that metric, which is like a 55 win season. Every team has players and lineups that would be "the best in the NBA". Jokic is having a MVP-type season again for sure but there's way better ways of showing it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Damnit, will suck to miss Ant and this almost certainly means the whole team will be out soon enough.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kinda amused and befuddled that Giannis is more popular in MN than in WI

5th grade geography just not your thing, huh?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Testing and masks should get this exponential graph to 0 in no time.

I mean, testing and masks actually do make a big difference if you actually do it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

lol Brooklyn folded.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Aaaannnnndddd the new adjustments won't even apply to everyone

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1471689018182365191

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 17, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also don't read any of these tweets comments, jfc

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes it is, because Kyrie is vocally sowing doubt about the safety and efficacy of the vaccines while being unvaccinated.

And furthermore, unless they're using fake vaccine cards, no there aren't, because they legally wouldn't be able to play the Nets or the Knicks or, if I'm recalling correctly, even enter Canada unless you're talking about like, some end of bench guys who don't really play in the first place in which case yeah I guess maybe but IDK where your actual evidence to that is. Can't use infection as proof of non-vaccination anymore. If anything, guys clearing protocols quickly (Russ springs to mind) points to the fact that they ARE probably vaccinated.

Of the vocally anti-vax superstars, LeBron and Wiggins got the jab by their own admission, and I'm honestly not sure about Isaac because from what I could find he's injured?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.nba...cs1jqdv718s2zi8

Out of town teams are exempt from the mandates in the us. Only Toronto requires away teams to be vaccinated, and that's a new requirement (or will be a new requirement, I don't remember when it's supposed to go into effect).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Timberwolves are going to be a .500 team on the back of nothing but 5 game winning and losing streaks, opponent completely irrelevant.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

incredible content

the nflpa is currently agitating for this (at least the rank and file are) so i wouldn’t be surprised if nba players felt the same way despite, well, [gestures vaguely]

Yeah the "vaccinated players still don't need to test as often" is absolutely a NBAPA thing, not the league. Cancelling games means no money, players don't want that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I think they should shut down while there are teams barely able to put a roster together because the product they're putting out is embarrassing, but I don't think it's as bloodthirsty to keep playing while people are getting Covid as some others do. This isn't spring 2020 anymore, and it's not clear at all that vaccinated players are at significantly greater risk than they would be from other endemic diseases like the flu. Players catching this thing from their teams were going to be exposed elsewhere anyway, just like everyone else. I think drawing the line on playing sick is still a very good thing, and testing is still good, but unless we end up in a situation where delaying getting exposed until we have new and imrpoved vaccines is a clear target to aim for, I think it's appropriate for the response to be very different than it was in 2020.

A big thing is they stopped testing players like they did last year. Last year it would be 1 guy with covid and it'd get caught early (which while not eliminating the chance of spreading, it severely decreases it). Now 1 guy has it for days and spreads it amongst the players on the court, bus, plane, etc. The Players Union is resisting going back to daily testing, and if you aren't going to do that I am not sure what else will have any effect.

The stadiums shouldn't be packed but thats probably more on the city than the league, and no politician will ever put in pandemic restrictions again so

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shut it down for two weeks, come back with testing on all game and practice days, and figure out reduced/no capacity arenas (though honestly that should be the cities regulating that). If that doesn't work you can't run the league but by then the majority of your players probably got it so.

This won't happen because the league doesn't want to give up Christmas and the nbapa doesn't want to go back to full testing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Trey hasn't gotten enough minutes to really qualify for this discussion, imo, and has actually been getting pulled due to losing track of his man off-ball too many times.

e: but, yeah, this rookie class has a lot of quality defenders that are good enough offensively to get heavy minutes right away and make a positive difference to their team

In particular a 7 footer having that impact is rare. Not unheard of, but most of the time guys that size take a couple seasons to get good. Mobley came into the league moving so well though. 6'8 swingmen coming in and being good defensively is more common.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

NBA needs to back to the bowling alley animation aesthetic.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah that was like almost a week ago? Dec 15th?

Both of those numbers are much higher.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I wonder if Naismith was more of a hooper or a baller.

The only person who was truly both.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BWV posted:

Ignoring their size and speed and race which NBA player plays the game most in the manner Naismith intended? Precious Achiuwa? Ben Simmons?

19th century sports were way more physical than today, field sports usually involved lots of guys getting injured, bloody, etc. So probably some of the more goonish guys, Oakley or if you mean today a Morris twin.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Two words: Virtual HORSE

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Freedom's just another word for no one else to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Not that I was trying to avoid straying from the Celtics thing, but Joe Johnson was strong and had some size. I think Jaylen Brown or Tatum are pretty close, with Brown being closer probably. Ant-man isn't an awful "small ISO Joe" comparison.