Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I mostly play single player games like rimworld or Crusader kings or games where jank is part of the charm (hello kenshi). If im doing MP im mostly playing things like TF2 or rocket league, i guess established games. I don't pay attention to big box games very often.

. I play early access indie games fairly often but you know what you're getting into with early access and often the price point is not $60.

I just downloaded the new halo infinite F2P multi-player and like many people comment it is definitely unfinished. I heard other big box games like cyberpunk are also released unfinished.

What the hell is the deal with releasing unfinished games? Just finish the drat game before releasing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Gamers are largely younger than average consumers with poor discipline. They reward companies for cranking out garbage and focusing on marketing over quality, and if that's what you reward, that's what you'll get more of.

I think the growing success of games either self-published or small-published has amplified it Those games have drawn an increasing amount of the attention of more discerning consumers, further biasing the consumer base of big publishers to people who care more about advertising and hype and not missing out on preorder bonuses than judging if they'll be happy with their purchase in the end. It's probably self-perpetuating at this point, but also it mostly doesn't matter because there are way more good games than there ever have been and as long as you don't buy into hype and rush into everything new you can have far more games to play than you have time for. It's a shame that so much effort gets wasted on crap, but as long as it's not impacting the stuff I really care about I don't mind.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
big new games get released before they are finished because boys will be boys amirite? amirite? anyways bobby kotick is allegedly a rapist. also its to line his and his few friends pockets as fast as possible.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Games take longer to make because the market demands constant innovation and new development, but consumers and shareholders don't want to wait the extra time to accommodate the changes. Combined with the fact that patching a game is a fairly cheap and painless process nowadays and you can have people pay to be beta testers through early access programs, it's becoming more economical to release games before the quality control phase is otherwise done.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
People will continue to buy the following:

A) unfinished poo poo
B) low quality poo poo
C) predatory poo poo

in an attempt to escape the existential crisis of the human condition.

The people with money bankrolling the devs can ask themselves the following questions:

A) Why finish poo poo?
B) Why make high quality poo poo?
C) Why treat customers fairly or honestly?

when you can just half-rear end it and rake in money. What else are people gonna do, make their own games? Only indie games are made with love and care (there are definitely exceptions to this) in current year. I am thinking of games like Stardew Valley where the guy made it all himself and does big updates for free because he created and loves every aspect of the game. Imagine EA doing this with FIFA 2022. LMao.

Some of the shittiest games lately have been

BF2042 (dice used to be incredible and make some amazing games and they forgot to add hit detection to this gem)
Wow (pandering with all kinds of token gestures in the game while doing myriad alleged terrible things in real life)
New World (absolute shitshow that went from 900k to 80k player peak within the quarter all due to soulless game design and multiple game crippling bugs)

I just don't know anymore bros. I just don't know. I think that 2022 has promise. We are looking at the following titles coming up:

Elden Ring (From is probably the last good big game dev)
Warhammer 3 (yeah the other ones were buggy and all the DLC is expensive but it is at least a pretty good and fun game)
Stalker 2 (hope this is good but i am cautiously optimistic)
Starfield (Bethesda has some faults but I think that they grasp the wild concept that games should be fun and have good gameplay instead of weird attempts at art or politics)

There are some other poo poo incoming too that might be good. Elex 2, could be good, Salt and Sanctuary 2 might be good unless it was only created because of Epic $$$ instead of the devs actually wanting to make a sequel. The new The Forest game looks cool.

I am holding out hope and staying away from big game companies because they have all been poo poo lately. I might pick up some new AAA games if they prove they can actually make good poo poo, but I am not holding my breath.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

It's because companies need to generate revenue at some point and multiyear product development is both a financially risky process and notoriously difficult to accurately map out ahead of time. In general in consumer software the danger of releasing a product that's not feature-complete is low compared to other other industries, and releasing a project early might also generate value customer feedback and testing that improves development efficiency. For every Cyberpunk 2077 that clearly an early release that causes a big financial hit to the company, there's lots of other games that release early and do well. For instance the witcher series by the same company.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What gamers say doesn't match what they do. Plus there are so many games out there that a lot of people don't finish the games they buy anyway. If you only put 5 hours into a game that's probably not enough to get disappointed and change your behavior.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Start generating income earlier
Less play testing required / players doing it for you
An easy excuse for any issues "it's in early access/alpha/beta"
A failure can be dropped or put on life support before being fully complete but still having generated some income

Some less nefarious reasons
You get input from real players earlier in development so you can adjust your design and plans or scrap systems entirely
Your game gets talked about and stays in the news for longer since what would previously be updates no one sees are shown to everyone as patches.

Finally for some games there's no way they'd ever get finished without being released early, hell some of them might never end up "finished" Dwarf fortress and Rimworld are great examples.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think games being released in an unfinished state is particularly new? SiN released 23(?) years ago and required a massive day one patch because it shipped in a basically unfinished state and there are plenty of games from earlier that are clearly missing features or just have kludged together content.

Crimminy, Blood 2 launched in such an unfinished state not only is the villain of the game introduced in a level loading text box 3/4ths into the game, explosions pass through solid objects because they didn't have time to fix that

Khorne
May 1, 2002
On top of things others have said, the last stretch always takes far more time and effort in software development.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To anyone involved in a creative pursuit, "finished" is a relative term. Anybody who has ever worked on a book, an album, a screenplay, their AO3 Johnlock slashfic, whatever, has probably felt as if their work was not 100% done at some point. Some of the most highly regarded works in any artistic medium are famously incomplete. So I don't really think this is a phenomenon unique to big-budget video games, although I do think there are certain market pressures that exist in the current landscape that make it more likely to happen. So in an extremely generalized format:

1. Video games are now a globalized industry, sometimes requiring hundreds of employees in studios all across the world to work toward a unified project. If at any point the communication pipeline starts to break down, entire systems will fall apart. There are only a handful of proven successful project managers in this industry.
2. A crowded market at the AAA space and rising development costs have left publishers to take fewer risks on a relatively limited cadre of surefire products. This has led to a tight release schedule that developers are expected to hit within a desired window to maximize profit and generate Day 1 adoption through massive coordinated hype cycles. With so much spent simply on advertising, here's too much of a point of no return for these games to be delayed further and risk not returning profits to their shareholders.
3. A mutual expectation from consumers and developers from the last 20 years that the game will be patched later if it's not released in a complete state, thus making it more permissive for developers to delay fixing many glaring issues that would otherwise be unacceptable in a medium with less progressive content.

I'm not especially convinced that gamers are any more or less discerning as a consumer group than anybody else, or that indie developers can't be every bit as greedy and predatory as AAA publishers on a smaller scale, so I find those to be inadequate explanations for why things are the way they are. More often than not, market forces requiring greater and more impossible profits in a crowded field necessitate the delivery of that product on unrealistic timescales, regardless of quality. :capitalism:

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think the early access model is necessarily always bad. for instance the game troubleshooter was a tiny passion project where they hastily repurposed a failed mobile game's assets and gameplay into a single player game. the initial launch was extremely rough but there was something there, and the money from early access buyers + feedback from them allowed them to shape it into what is now an extremely feature-rich package with plans for a sequel.

so long as it's flagged properly and upfront i dont think there's anything wrong with the model. ofc im more forgiving of it from tiny developers or weird niche products than major aaa FPS's.