Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

More like bored games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

More like bored games

S.J. posted:

More like bored games

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

I wish my game group expanded beyond my wife and myself so I could justify Nicaea.

These days, between work, family, and covid restrictions, it's so hard to get a group together.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Welp, I moved to Las Vegas earlier this year and hadn't heard any of the news about The Gaming Goat until reading this new OP. Ooooooof glad I haven't actually bought anything there yet.

I used to go to the one at Town Square but the owner always has bad music playing and opinions during Covid that I just didn't bother going back.

There's that Shiba Games store in Henderson that I picked up Brass Birmingham from though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
more like bored games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My new years resolution is to get my board games all organized.

My new years resolution for the years after that will be to actually play them.

I know I have some games that would be looked down upon in here but I hope when I get a chance to actually play them and do a writeup about them, that I can at least write something interesting about them showing why I got them in the first place or what I enjoyed about them without it turning into a big mess.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I actually spent all day today installing some new shelving so that I can get my board games all sorted!

I've got a tall stack of board games just kinda, sitting on the ground because I have nowhere to put them, so this was long overdue.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tragedy Looper may be my favorite game so Zendo sounds up my alley. Any other similar games that scratch that same sort of itch?

Psychic pizza deliverers go to the ghost town :getin:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Suddenly Susan posted:

New thread woohoo! Has anyone had a chance to try out all the amazing looking games and expansions Capstone has/is about to be releasing?

Ark Nova
Boonlake
Maracaibo: The Uprising
Pipeline: Emerging Markets
Corrosion

I listened to the Game Brain episode where they covered some of them, but am looking for more opinions/experiences. Also, Would be great to include that podcast as a recommended listening in the OP.

Played Ark Nova 5 times now, 4 players, 3 players and 3 solo games. Really enjoying this one. The action mechanism works quite well and timing and getting X markers to power your actions are very important. All the games felt very different, thanks to the variable player boards and the boatload of cards. Sponsor cards feel amazing when they work and deciding which actions to upgrade never felt set in stone (although I always upgrade the action that lets you donate money for victory points. The rest depends on the cards I have.) I really like it and hope to get to play it more next year.

Corrosion I only played solo and that is a tight experience. Trying to get your engines up an running is a nice puzzle and when you turn your wheel and get to activate all your stuff it feels quite satisfying.
No real opinion on the multiplayer yet but again I hope I can get it on the table next year.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Thanks for all the input so far. I've made several changes based on suggestions, new inclusions and formatting corrections, etc based on suggestions. If you want to suggest something, PMing me on SA is best (if you have PMs, that is) because hopefully I won't miss them. I intend to take as much as I can on board as I can, but I will use some discretion as well. I think a game ought to have at least a certain amount of hype and awareness to get on this list, since we are basically playing the percentages to find games people will like. An unknown game, even if amazing, might not be the best choice. Don't let that prevent you from posting and telling us what an amazing game it is.

Tragedy Looper may be my favorite game so Zendo sounds up my alley. Any other similar games that scratch that same sort of itch?

So bear in mind, Zendo is not a narrative logic game. Instead, it is pure stateless abstract logic game, so it's almost closer to chess. Also, the master's relationship with the students is less antagonistic than in other one-versus-many games. The rules on on the Looney Labs website.

In very broad strokes, let's say instead of Koans, it's Emoti-Koans. As the master, I say :bravo2: "has the Buddha-nature" and :monocle: "does not have the Buddha-nature". You might say "Emoti-Koans with words in them have the Buddha-nature". Then I would post :coolslime: and say "That has the Buddha nature" but since it has no words it contradicts your suggestion. Then you say, "Emoticons with musical instruments have the Buddha-nature." Then, I say :sax: and say, "This does not have the Buddha-nature" again disproving your hypothesis. We repeat until you successfully deduce what is meant. If I made an extremely complicated set of rules with multiple if clauses, that would be no fun, but if I made it too easy, that would be bad too.

Also, only after typing all this out am I realizing that this game, particularly with the original printing's art (featured on the page above), is probably at least mildly orientalist by today's standards. So, take that as you see fit.

If you want a co-operative narrative detective game (though not quite pure logic), let me quote the last thread for my GOTY 2021:

Magnetic North posted:

Game of the Year:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars: This game is loving terrific. It's narratively compelling, contemplative, fulfilling, engaging, occasionally uplifting or even quite humorous. It was everything I could have wanted, as close to perfect as is reasonable. I talked about it a fair bit in the draft thread.
The only downside is if you play this, I do not think you could go back and play the other SH:CD boxes, because the innovations in this one improve the experience so greatly.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

S.J. posted:

More like bored games

Bird games

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 30, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Suddenly Susan posted:

New thread woohoo! Has anyone had a chance to try out all the amazing looking games and expansions Capstone has/is about to be releasing?

Boonlake is happening today :getin:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

armorer posted:

Excellent OP, now I want to buy Zendo. Is the Looney Labs version that's currently available good? Or do I want one of the older ones if I can find it?
The looney labs version is good and I would recommend it: it comes with rule cards of different difficulty and enough pyramids to make all sort of guesses.

Although, technically, you don’t need any of that. You can play Zendo with Lego or really anything at all.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

homullus posted:

That is an impressive OP.

Additionally:

(1) Never sit down to play a modern board game and expect to open the box and learn to play as you go, or with one unlucky person attempting to explain as they read. If nothing else, everyone should watch a "how to play video" together. Really, don't do it, it's awful.
(2) It's dreadful playing games with people who don't want to play them -- no gaming is better than bad gaming. If your friends aren't even curious about your new hobby, pressuring them into playing often backfires.
(3) If somebody in your life is really curious about a game you play, that is often enough to carry them through the complexity barrier and into learning and enjoying the game.

That's a great idea, adding some suggestions about learning and explaining rules, etc. I'll try and add that to the first OP in the coming days. I already talked about it in a post in the last thread which I am only linking here so I don't forget :sweatdrop:

Also should probably mention board game apps, remote play like BGA, and solo gaming.

Tekopo posted:

You can play Zendo with Lego or really anything at all.

The guy who taught me did it with multiple cheapo decks of playing cards, which can make it a little mathy, but still quite fun.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm still 60,000 posts behind in the 4e thread and am reading about the hottest games of 2016. A Feast for Odin is taking the world by storm, if only it were in stock anywhere!

Anyway I'd appreciate if you could all refrain from posting spoilers for 2017 onwards itt until I'm caught up, but I've got a good feeling about the next five years.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Please make a note of the first time someone mentions Spirit Island

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kazzah posted:

Page 2.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I got Spirit Island through secret santa this year

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Kazzah posted:

Don’t tell me there’s something wrong with Spirit Island. It’s become my favorite game over the past year…

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

snickles posted:

Don’t tell me there’s something wrong with Spirit Island. It’s become my favorite game over the past year…

We regret to inform you the island is reverse racist

But seriously I think it's just very popular and gets mentioned a lot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Spirit Island is the trains game of games that aren't about trains.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't gotten to play an 18xx f2f in over a year :(

Dancer
May 23, 2011
As part of my first post in this age of the new thread, let me prostrate myself and be judged by the great Vlaada.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It is a real joy to teach Spirit Island to new people. The first game they flail in the water and when we play the inevitable second game the gears start to turn in their head. "If I play this that pushes these guys here, then I can play this there and destroy them...oh and YOU can play that there then too...!"

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I really, really wish I played Spirit Island often enough that my group could dive into some of the deeper scenarios.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CommonShore posted:

I haven't gotten to play an 18xx f2f in over a year :(

Using Discord for audio (or video if you want/can set up) and 18xx.games is 90% of the way there as long as you do real time.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

CommonShore posted:

Spirit Island is the trains game of games that aren't about trains.

Hear me out - Spirit Island 2, now with competitive gaming, where one faction is the spirits trying to chase off the settlers, and the other faction is the settlers trying to build trains around the island.

Maybe there's even a pandemic raging on the island while all this goes down. And that's when a party of adventurers shows up...

Just think of all the minis this kickstarter would sell.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I said this in a PM with a couple of notes on the OP(s), but it bears public repeating: that is some quality work you did to kick off the thread, Magnetic North

But why did you leave Cosmic Encounter off the recommended list? *ducks*

(My shameful secret: I love CE, not as a game, but as a shaft-your-buddy experience.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bagrada posted:

Hear me out - Spirit Island 2, now with competitive gaming, where one faction is the spirits trying to chase off the settlers, and the other faction is the settlers trying to build trains around the island.

Maybe there's even a pandemic raging on the island while all this goes down. And that's when a party of adventurers shows up...

We already have Spirit Island 2.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bagrada posted:

Spirit Island 1 was a hit, no doubt about it. Spirit Island 2 seeks to build on the greatness of the original while addressing a few problems and also going in a new direction.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of Spirit Island, if anyone lives on the Front Range and wants a copy of it, I'll be selling mine soon.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Magnetic North posted:

So bear in mind, Zendo is not a narrative logic game. Instead, it is pure stateless abstract logic game, so it's almost closer to chess. Also, the master's relationship with the students is less antagonistic than in other one-versus-many games. The rules on on the Looney Labs website.

I do think this is one of the most important bits about Zendo: the Master isn't playing against the students at all. The game is structured as a competition among the students; there's no win or loss condition for the Master, and their goal in the game is to pick a rule that will allow the players to have fun and make sure not to make a mistake adjudicating something.

Magnetic North posted:

Also, only after typing all this out am I realizing that this game, particularly with the original printing's art (featured on the page above), is probably at least mildly orientalist by today's standards. So, take that as you see fit.

The new edition is themeless; they took out the Zen theming, with the exception of the name, and, I suppose, the titling of the GM as "the Master."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I taught my brother Spirit Island yesterday. He loves MTG and Slay the Spire so it was a natural transition for him. Thunderspeaker + Rampant Spread of Green = the most classic 2-player combo.

Also I just got the first two promo spirits and I’m surprised neither of these made it into the original game but BoDaN was included. Both the promo spirits seem way more fun.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jesus christ.

Also I have Puerto Rico on my shelf as my shameful reminder of the start of my euro gaming career. I remember raising a brow at that game even back in the day well before I became more conscious of hosed up poo poo in board games like drat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bagrada posted:

I have the rough outline done for a game that started with "what if 18xx but COIN" and it ends up being the Red River and North-West rebellions of 1869-70 and 1885 where one faction is playing ChEx style cube rails, one has Cuba Libre style police and troops, and then the last two are insurgents who can make resources by running trade routes in areas that don't have rail access. Oh, and all factions can buy shares in the railroads.

I think the idea still has teeth but I haven't worked on it in a while.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Hell yea more Spirit Island discussion. My wife and I played for a little bit never really got comfortable with the higher difficulty scenarios because we always wanted to try different spirit combinations. And our few attempts at using some of the more complex spirits led to some ugly defeats which soured her a bit on the game.

I did get promo packs 1 and 2 as a secret Santa gift so I should bust it out and try to play against the Swedes or Scots.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I'm still 60,000 posts behind in the 4e thread

Anyway I'd appreciate if you could all refrain from posting spoilers for 2017 onwards itt until I'm caught up, but I've got a good feeling about the next five years.

he dies at the end

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I posit that the OP does not have enough Vlaada.

Galaxy Trucker is the game that got my wife to finally like board games. The ship building part of the game is always a hilarious mad dash to throw a trash heap together, and watching them suffer through asteroid fields and pirate attacks is equally fun. It is not a particularly deep or strategic game but we love it anyway. We have the expansions but rarely get to use them because it’s been so much fun introducing new people to the game.

Space Alert is also a delightfully unique game — I really don’t have any other real-time decision-making games in my collection. It can be tense and stressful but goddamn is it satisfying when everyone works together and the ship actually survives. And when it doesn’t, it leads to a lot of great “wait, I thought you were going to — oh noooooooo” moments.

Tash Kalar is one of the best two player games out there. I’ve only played with the base factions, and it definitely takes a few plays to start to understand the long-term strategies for success. But once it clicks, oh man, it’s a tense battle of back-and-forth maneuvering that really rewards meticulous piece placement and planning for your opponent’s most likely move.

Mage Knight is a phenomenal concept but unfortunately hits my limit of “there are too many rules and moving parts to make this manageable on a tabletop”. It’s a huge bummer that a Steam or iOS version was never developed because it really is a genius game that just takes too goddamn long to set up and play through. Still, there really isn’t anything else that captures the feeling of being a badass wizard accumulating powers and followers to raid dungeons and lay waste to cities. Sadly it suffers because the game is so tight on action and resource management that every turn is a puzzle to be solved. It’s very rewarding to solve those puzzle, but the game takes forever.

I haven’t played Dungeon Lords or Dungeon Petz but I hear they’re pretty good?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aggro posted:

I posit that the OP does not have enough Vlaada.

Galaxy Trucker is the game that got my wife to finally like board games. The ship building part of the game is always a hilarious mad dash to throw a trash heap together, and watching them suffer through asteroid fields and pirate attacks is equally fun. It is not a particularly deep or strategic game but we love it anyway. We have the expansions but rarely get to use them because it’s been so much fun introducing new people to the game.

Space Alert is also a delightfully unique game — I really don’t have any other real-time decision-making games in my collection. It can be tense and stressful but goddamn is it satisfying when everyone works together and the ship actually survives. And when it doesn’t, it leads to a lot of great “wait, I thought you were going to — oh noooooooo” moments.

Tash Kalar is one of the best two player games out there. I’ve only played with the base factions, and it definitely takes a few plays to start to understand the long-term strategies for success. But once it clicks, oh man, it’s a tense battle of back-and-forth maneuvering that really rewards meticulous piece placement and planning for your opponent’s most likely move.

Mage Knight is a phenomenal concept but unfortunately hits my limit of “there are too many rules and moving parts to make this manageable on a tabletop”. It’s a huge bummer that a Steam or iOS version was never developed because it really is a genius game that just takes too goddamn long to set up and play through. Still, there really isn’t anything else that captures the feeling of being a badass wizard accumulating powers and followers to raid dungeons and lay waste to cities. Sadly it suffers because the game is so tight on action and resource management that every turn is a puzzle to be solved. It’s very rewarding to solve those puzzle, but the game takes forever.

I haven’t played Dungeon Lords or Dungeon Petz but I hear they’re pretty good?

Every Vlaada should be in the OP. The OP should just be Vlaada. All praise unto Vlaada.

(Dungeon duo rules, you should definitely try them)

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Aggro posted:

Hell yea more Spirit Island discussion. My wife and I played for a little bit never really got comfortable with the higher difficulty scenarios because we always wanted to try different spirit combinations. And our few attempts at using some of the more complex spirits led to some ugly defeats which soured her a bit on the game.

I did get promo packs 1 and 2 as a secret Santa gift so I should bust it out and try to play against the Swedes or Scots.

I've played hundreds of SI games and I've barely touched any of the scenarios. There's just so much game in trying different spirit combos and adversary difficulty levels. In the latest expansion they codified rules for mixing two adversaries together and welp there goes all my time.

It bears mentioning that the complex spirits really are complex. I have a very hard time playing the Time spirit on difficulties above 2 for most adversaries and I'm playing a side game of 4d chess if I play the time-space bending hummingbird spirit.