Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It came with the rules I just mean they are silly and overly complicated for a dice game. It is the Milton Bradley one and I am very excited to play it with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Harold Fjord posted:

It came with the rules I just mean they are silly and overly complicated for a dice game. It is the Milton Bradley one and I am very excited to play it with friends.

The MB Shogun is essentially Risk with d12s. I still kind of wish I hadn't sold my copy though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay so not the Wallanstein remake

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Admiralty Flag posted:

My 4P game of 18Chesapeake went off yesterday. I appreciate all the feedback folks gave me and used most of it, but I did omit the private auction as I could see people were raring to play and the teach had run long, though I had tried to keep it minimalist with the idea of filling in blanks as we played; too many questions popped up. So I discarded P5 (the real trap company), gave myself P6 (the sort-of trap company), randomly distributed P1&P2, P3, and P4, and had everyone pay face value. I think this worked out for the best for a first play.

The game ran a bit long, about 4:45 including teach for three new players and a relatively inexperienced teacher, but we played it all through — didn’t call it, broke the bank, and played out the final OR after bank breaking. I won, but only beat the second place player by about $50.

Avoidable mistake: I forgot about moving sold-out stocks up a couple of times. Much less avoidable mistake: people were annoyed to find out (e.g.) unnamed cities had only one grey upgrade tile available or that towns were not upgradable past yellow, even though I had printed out copies of the tile inventory and upgrade chart. (I could have spent more time on this, but I think it would have been in one ear and out the other during the early teach. Maybe something to hit during the phase 3 upgrade during a future teach?)

Everyone said they really enjoyed it and wanted to play again, with the only issue being the time to play. They did see how it would go faster in a second game.

Well done. I'm silently fuming about what you did to the auction because that's where some real interesting knock-on effects throughout the game come from but it's okay, I'm fine, I can calm down.

Five hours is a bit long but if people had a good time you're okay. Probably on course for conservative first-time players where no one is really pulling levers, shuffling trains, seeking bankruptcies but that's where you come in Admiralty, that's where you have to rust people's trains, drat it.

Other 18xxers can weigh in here but I am almost tempted to just say gently caress it with base 18Ches and just play Off the Rails. Only issue is that the game can be over so quickly with such little actual train engineering that you rob them of a proper experience in lieu of stock market flashbang to the face.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

xiw posted:

I find I've gone off caverna a bit with the expansion because it felt like it pigeonholed the folk types a bit much - like, the asymmetry is so high that if mountain dwarves and humans and trolls are at the table, the action spaces all get nicely split up and the game gets a bit predictable. Kind of wish they were less all or nothing into their various gimmicks.

Next time we play I'm intending to just shuffle in a random subset of forgotten folk buildings instead of using the full boards and abilities, hoping that'll thread the needle for me. I like the game but I just want some variety of options each time we play.

Humans still need a place to live and stone to build it. For as empty as my cave was, I dug maybe one less time than I would have in a full game.

But yeah, in theory the forgotten folk are balanced against normal dwarves, so if you just want to pick four folk and replace buildings with them but otherwise play normal dwarves you're probably just good to go.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FulsomFrank posted:

Well done. I'm silently fuming about what you did to the auction because that's where some real interesting knock-on effects throughout the game come from but it's okay, I'm fine, I can calm down.

Five hours is a bit long but if people had a good time you're okay. Probably on course for conservative first-time players where no one is really pulling levers, shuffling trains, seeking bankruptcies but that's where you come in Admiralty, that's where you have to rust people's trains, drat it.

Other 18xxers can weigh in here but I am almost tempted to just say gently caress it with base 18Ches and just play Off the Rails. Only issue is that the game can be over so quickly with such little actual train engineering that you rob them of a proper experience in lieu of stock market flashbang to the face.
Oh yes, people had a good time; I trust this crew to be honest with me considering their past reactions to games they didn't like. (How can you not like Roll for the Galaxy?)

I was buying trains and strategically rusting them to peoples' dismay -- in conjunction with the mandatory export -- and we got all the way to Ds, thanks to my daughter's boyfriend making a timely purchase that screwed everyone on their fours. (He's the one that came within $50 of my victory.) All in all, I think we had maybe 5-6 SRs total? The delays were in the overly-long teach (my victims were coming up with a bunch of really good questions), some lengthy decisions about routes and upgrades, revisiting rules, and general AP. (Plus a slow banker, but I'm not sure how much time that added; part of that was my fault, for I had too many low-denomination chips in the bank.) Still, I can't fully account for all the time -- it doesn't seem like it took that long.

I was looking for a good opportunity to dump a useless railroad on a sucker but never found the opportunity...it would all have been in the name of education. I did get to do a massive dump that tanked my main competitor's stock; he would have likely won without that.

As a bonus, I went to play Brass: Brum with my usual group yesterday. I told them I taught my family 18Chesapeake & played on Saturday, they loved it, and we're playing again. This converted some holdouts to the idea of playing an 18xx. My only fear is that there's some real AP in the usual group that can slow things down. But I'll try it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Admiralty Flag posted:

Oh yes, people had a good time; I trust this crew to be honest with me considering their past reactions to games they didn't like. (How can you not like Roll for the Galaxy?)

It's vaguely shaped like Race for the Galaxy, but instead of the elegant system of drawing cards to play cards you pay for with cards, you've got a goop of dice manipulation powers that you use behind a screen and lose track of what you've done or even what you rolled.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Race is better than Roll but I never had an issue with the dice management. It's light and easy; perfect for when our brain is mushy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

For myself, I hated roll, and race is one of my favorite games. The dice, the way you see cards, the way actions are chosen, the game length. Just blegh.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone know a good place to look online for out of print boardgames?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BGG marketplace? Like, what kind of out of print are we talking about?

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Race is good but it stops just as it finally gets going.
Same with gaia.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

haddedam posted:

Same with gaia.

Like all good engine builders.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

haddedam posted:

This is what makes it great.
e: my problem with Race is that, as a new player, the game loop is draw 5 cards you've never seen before and immediately discard 4 to play 1. As you're sitting, reading, trying to work out what works, people who've been playing the game for a literal decade try to hide their impatience so they can get to the next phase.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 26, 2024

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Mr. Squishy posted:

e: my problem with Race is that, as a new player, the game loop is draw 5 cards you've never seen before and immediately discard 4 to play 1. As you're sitting, reading, trying to work out what works, people who've been playing the game for a literal decade try to hide their impatience so they can get to the next phase.

One of my least favorite things is explaining all the cards and how they function as all the things your actions, your money, your goods, and that keeps the game compact and kind of elegant design wise… and then every turn you have to put down those cards and pick up an entirely different set of cards to rifle through and choose the phase for the round. It just results in this dumb loop of picking up and putting down cards all the time.

That really should have been some kind of dial to choose the phase.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I actually really dislike dials to choose phases, they're fiddly and never stay put and get loose over time and such.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

!Klams posted:

Anyone know a good place to look online for out of print boardgames?

Noble Knight, maybe? I never used them to buy a used game, just to sell my own used trad gaming paraphernalia.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Anyone have opinions on Mythwind? Seems like a game that's right up my alley. And the reprint Kickstarter just launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mccaskellgames/mythwind-reprint-new-content/description

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played some Bargain Quest over the weekend and it got me thinking about personally losing vs everybody losing. The game's competitive in that you're trying to get the most reputation as a shop, by the end of the game, but if every hero perishes then everyone loses and scores are discarded. We had a table of people who, even though a bunch knew they'd lose, decided to semi-cooperate to still beat the final monster, but I'm certain there would be certain players who would intentionally tank things to make sure that if they couldn't win, then no one could. Thank goodness I don't play with any of those.

Edit: Obviously not to be confused with, say, Archipelago where everyone wants to win on their own but the rebel player needs everyone to lose.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 26, 2024

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah it really sucks people don't let you win because the rules say they don't have to

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
If nobody wins, did you really lose? I can see the joy of snatching a technical draw from the jaws of defeat.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

Noble Knight, maybe? I never used them to buy a used game, just to sell my own used trad gaming paraphernalia.

Seconding noble knight. Purchased a few oop things from them this year and am happy with the experience. Both were listed as vg+ but both were unpunched and had the cards still in the wrap. Pretty pricey though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Redundant posted:

If nobody wins, did you really lose? I can see the joy of snatching a technical draw from the jaws of defeat.

I mean, that's manifestly true in 2p abstracts. Gets murkier in coopative games, but also I don't like playing them so eh.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Redundant posted:

This only works if it's really tricky to force the draw condition, otherwise there's an incentive to start throwing as soon as you fall out of the running. I think it works better to have an alternate win condition so that you still need to do something in order to profit from hammering the "gently caress all y'all" button. (Not that there aren't players who would do it anyhow, but I feel like that's a bigger and less common problem than players who will take antisocial but mechanically optimal actions.)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

noble knight is how I netted a copy of john company 1e long after that felt impossible

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Noble knight cured my baldness and got me Leaving Earth

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

haddedam posted:

Noble knight cured my baldness and got me Leaving Earth

leaving earth probably made you bald again but it's good to live life in the moment

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

silvergoose posted:

BGG marketplace? Like, what kind of out of print are we talking about?

Sorry, I did already mention it here and got no bites; I'm looking for the Runewars board game expansion, "Banners of War".

Magnetic North posted:

Oh, ok, never heard of them? Thanks! I'll check it out!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

You do have to basically learn a new alien language to play Race, so I expect that when I show new players that it's gonna be slow. I do think that the new edition's player aid is extremely good and helps a ton with getting the game in people's heads.

I also think that the cards taking a while to understand when you pick them up is also partly a good thing. The cards in Race are actually interesting! These big deck games only work when looking at new cards lights a spark in your brain. I recently played Shipwrights of the North Sea Redux and the first play was a bit of a slog for me, largely because every time I looked at a set of new cards none of them were that interesting to me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mr. Squishy posted:

This is why I don't like race tbh. The only time I played I was the only new player and I just got loving creamed for like 90 minutes and that was the only thing I experienced about the game

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ideally race is 15 minutes, not 90. you got a bum first experience and your fellow players are to blame

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

an actual dog posted:

I also think that the cards taking a while to understand when you pick them up is also partly a good thing. The cards in Race are actually interesting! These big deck games only work when looking at new cards lights a spark in your brain.

It's more that you must burn cards immediately. With other, slower engine-builders, there's quite a lot of lag time between drawing a card into your hand before you need to start sorting wheat from chaff. It's a virtue of the game design but it feels like a vice at my skill level.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Buck Wildman posted:

leaving earth probably made you bald again but it's good to live life in the moment

It was high frontier that gave me the baldnessleaving earth just gave me ED.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
With Race especially new players I think benefit most from playing a bunch of games in a row just to see as many cards as possible and get a general sense of what the hell is going on before you slow down and start thinking about it.

but you can then be good and think faster

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

!Klams posted:

Sorry, I did already mention it here and got no bites; I'm looking for the Runewars board game expansion, "Banners of War".

Oh, ok, never heard of them? Thanks! I'll check it out!

There are 3 copies on ebay at the moment it appears.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mr. Squishy posted:

mikeycp posted:

This is why I don't like race tbh. The only time I played I was the only new player and I just got loving creamed for like 90 minutes and that was the only thing I experienced about the game

Signing up to the lovely First Game of Race club. I literally haven't played the thing in 10 years cause that play sucked poo poo so hard. My game didn't last 90 minutes because it was over before i knew it and then one of the other players chewed me out for kingmaking cause the actions i was picking was helping out the winner too much.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Im in the "lovely first game" club for eclipse 2nd ed. But i was told it was super ti4 that is better in every way, with hookers and blackjack. So far the most impressive thing has been the insert.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
90 minute RftG is a crime. I would dislike it then too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
but otoh i have dominion and anime maid dominion which i had good first games of and love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

haddedam posted:

Im in the "lovely first game" club for eclipse 2nd ed. But i was told it was super ti4 that is better in every way, with hookers and blackjack. So far the most impressive thing has been the insert.

Someone played a bizarre joke on you. Eclipse and TI share a space theme and that's about it.