Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
I'm of the unusual, weird, and probably Bad opinion that Brass: Birmingham is somewhere between "the complexity of the rules allows a lot of neat interactions and depth" and "the complexity of the rules is inane, mildly unintuitive, and might just be marketing fiddliness as depth".

I've had fun playing it, but to me it's not quite so apparent why it's sitting at #1 for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Yeah, I've done 2p Hanabi a couple of times, but with an unlucky set of early draws you can't count on getting any 1s (set starters, for the uninitiated), and you'll be burning cards randomly, for a while.

3p and 4p level this out with more hands to work with.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Definitely a sucker for some Ameritrash and worker placement, but didn't realize I had a soft spot for card drafting too.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Brass Birmingham is good but also terrifically fiddly

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
This was the relevant quote from the prior thread.

bobvonunheil posted:

Ignacy Trzewiczek is generally panned in this thread for a board game design diary he posted where famed designer Vlaada Chvatil told him 'you can't have bad events and good events coming from the same deck, you need to split them up to create a more consistent and enjoyable gaming experience', Ignacy went 'hmm yes that is a good idea' then completely and utterly ignored his advice.

Regarding Robinson Crusoe, I believe... which checks out.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Jedit posted:

Huh? I played a five player game of Eclipse 1E with three newbies in 2.5 hours including setup, breakdown and teach.
Yeah, I haven't played either eclipse or TI, but I thought the general consensus was that TI is the game you set aside a day to play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
The advantage a four-dragging-hour game of Talisman has over a four-dragging-hour game of Monopoly is that the outcome of the Talisman game is not a forgone conclusion for 3.5 of those hours.