Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Post about how much everyone's dying here.

Also screeds on how much Dave Hakstol sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
hope you fuckers are ready for the canucks to win the presidents trophy and the cup. Let's loving GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Wow, look at those standings. Look out Coyotes, hear comes Montreal!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Also lol at the Flyers being highlighted, boy am I a loving idiot because I'm a Flyers fan.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I havent really paid attention; why are the islanders so bad this year?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Jack Campbell has been fantastic, I have no idea how we're going to be able to afford him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TrueChaos posted:

Jack Campbell has been fantastic, I have no idea how we're going to be able to afford him.

Someone get Dubas a session with the Pickup Artist to study 'negging'.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

Step 1: Fire Mrazek and Ritchie into the sun

Step 2: … actually that should just about do it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
this thread would taste like $20 arena beers except you can't buy beers at the arena anymore

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really hope the Devils dump PK very soon.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Step 1: Fire Mrazek and Ritchie into the sun

Step 2: … actually that should just about do it.

Mrazek/Ritchie are at 6.3 combined. Grubauer got 5.9 and Shesterkin got 5.6 after great years last year so that should cover it. Kessel’s 1.2 retained also comes off the books next year and Holl’s 2 probably gets ejected too.

The only other things they need are Rielly’s new $2.5 and whatever RFA raises Liljegren/Sandin get and maybe Kase. Everyone else is probably replaced at same or cheaper.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

clean ayers act posted:

They're putting the desiccated corpse of Zdeno Chara out on ice for 20 minutes a night, you tell me.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I know we were kind of making GBS threads on their play last month, but having watched the Devils yesterday, I still like their young core. Buncha speedy, shifty, puck-thieving 'stache-havers.

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1477777551741308929

Jack would really probably benefit from a better coach with a better structure though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flyers are terrible but also lmao at Arizona, Montreal, and Seattle

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've bandied about the phrase house money in the last couple of years with regard to Columbus and them being 15-14-1 at the start of January seems to fit that mold given everyone expected them to be in a race with Arizona for last this year.

... but they should be 17-12-1 right now if they hadn't choked away big leads against Vancouver and Carolina. They probably could have gotten at least a point out of Edmonton and Toronto as well.

Figure out how to coach a 60 minute game, Lars. I'd rather them shut the league down if the alternative is games like Saturday's.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Its weird that we're about 3 months into the season and the Bruins haven't even hit the 30 game mark yet. Although they play basically every other night for the next month now, so I will have lots of hockey to watch at least.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

clean ayers act posted:

They played some insane amount of games at the very start of the season on the road. Lou Lam has made the roster significantly slower and older which doesn't work very well with Trotz extremely high energy system. Their top defenseman has missed some time as well. Where in years past the Isles would be a 47% xGF team on the back of giving up lots of lower and mid-danger chances, but dominating High Dangers....well they no longer do that anymore. The Isles also are shooting about 1.5% below NHL average. Normally I'd say that *should* even out, but the Isles really do not have a lot of shooting talent so I don't think they'll revert.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

watching the wings under El Stebe has been incredible, especially when i've been watching the Lions improve alongside them :allears:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Chad Sexington posted:

I know we were kind of making GBS threads on their play last month, but having watched the Devils yesterday, I still like their young core. Buncha speedy, shifty, puck-thieving 'stache-havers.

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1477777551741308929

Jack would really probably benefit from a better coach with a better structure though.

The Devils are going to go on a tear as soon as they fire Ruff, just like the Canucks with Green.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

McDovid

I'm glad the Jets won last night but I don't think Dave Lowry is the coach this team needs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is Babcock so desperate to get back into the NHL that he'd be willing to answer a phone call from Winnipeg? :unsmigghh:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Paging Rex, former Marlies assistant Jack Han with a short post on SEA talking about their propensity to give up rushes and their D looking confused:

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/whats-wrong-with-seattle

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Will somebody please link that guy to a tutorial on how to make a .gif

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Devils are going to go on a tear as soon as they fire Ruff, just like the Canucks with Green.

I might end up looking stupid but I don't think they are going to fire Ruff. They would have 2 weeks ago when they hit rock bottom if they were going to.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Will somebody please link that guy to a tutorial on how to make a .gif

What you're

too good

for watching

individual frames?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MP4s are smaller.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

Paging Rex, former Marlies assistant Jack Han with a short post on SEA talking about their propensity to give up rushes and their D looking confused:

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/whats-wrong-with-seattle
YESSSS INTO MY VEINS!!!!

quote:

Goal-scoring talent is hard to come by at the expansion draft, especially when one is not gifted with top-line finishers Jonathan Marchessault and Reilly Smith (FLA → VGK).
I am immediately annoyed! There absolutely positively was goal-scoring talent available for Seattle to take. They just....didn't. Adam Henrique (16pts), Ondrej Kase (16pts), Nino (17), Saad (15), Domi (15), Drouin (17), Duchene (PPG), and on and on and on. This is absolutely dogshit revisionism to say that 'Well of course they can't score they weren't gifted players like Vegas!' and ignore that there were. Yes there are risks for all these players, but man you have a top tier player like Tarasenko that was available too and again risky, but may as well not take any risks at all! All of this ignores whatever potential trades that could or could not have been worked out which is a whole different realm of 'what if'.

And after a quick read.....boy if this is the standard of 'analysis' on the blogsphere I feel a lot better about my dumb poo poo work.

https://twitter.com/JhanHky/status/1477680871759319040?s=20

I think this guy might be a dumbass actually.

quote:

SEA’s overall way of playing is pretty standard. With a more talented roster built through high draft picks, the team can become quite dangerous offensively, organically leading to less DZ time and fewer breakdowns.
I (unsurprisingly) vehemently disagree with this. We already have precedence for it too! Dave Hakstol had an extremely talented Flyers team which he sucked poo poo with. You could give Dave Hakstol Team Canada level of talent and he'd probably find a way to barely win Bronze.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1478075177489555472

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

And after a quick read.....boy if this is the standard of 'analysis' on the blogsphere I feel a lot better about my dumb poo poo work.

You could definitely write a readable hockey blog fwiw. Hell, you're already doing like 70% of it on here.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

You could definitely write a readable hockey blog fwiw. Hell, you're already doing like 70% of it on here.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure if Rex wrote a blog it would just be something awful.

Honestly, it's a ridiculously annoying thing to try to write a blog and stay always posting in the constant 24hr 'journalist' cycle.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think this guy might be a dumbass actually.

I really like reading his stuff because it’s a window into modern (semi)pro-level analysis and coaching and it’s not at all surprising that what you see through that window is… a mixed bag. Mix of obvious observation, interesting knowledge of systems and frameworks, personal opinion on skills development, and absolute old-boy nonsense and navel-gazing all wrapped up together.

Worth noting that he left the Leafs org voluntarily after not quite getting along with Keefe/Dubas and their decision making. When he gives specific stories sometimes he looks good and sometimes he’s a moron, but he doesn’t shy away from the misses (he recommended that the Leafs not draft Adam Fox, for example, which uh…)

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This will be round 2 that we know of for Auston if he gets confirmation. At least he’s only out 5 days so he can come back and infect the rest of his team and probably another one

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dude they probably could have traded to take Tarasenko.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1478032042654846978

https://mobile.twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1478059305261752323

Man I hope Trotzy comes back with that pack of cigarettes soon he's been gone a while :ohdear:

But seriously, hope everything's okay in the House of Eggman

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah, and traded away some of their picks instead of letting them go back on waivers. They've done nothing good in terms of collecting draft picks, so this idea of being "meh" for a year or two doesn't hold for me. They didn't have a good draft strategy, and I don't know if everyone decided to not talk to Francis for a year now or if they're just incompetent (leaning this way), because it's not going to look any better than any other teams future draft capability. They have one extra 4th next draft and an extra 2nd and 4th the following. This isn't giving them any extra help in 4-5 years when half the roster is going to be gone before then. They did nothing useful in the expansion draft, and I don't see that really changing from the entry draft they had this year either.

I just think they don't have a strategy and Ron Francis is skating on previous accomplishments. Go figure, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

The Tarasenko situation has gone so well for the Blues I am half convinced they played 3D chess and got him to pretend to get in a fight with the Blues to pretend there’s a toxic environment so Seattle would be too afraid to draft him.

I don’t think Doug Armstrong is that smart or ballsy, but man it turned out that way regardless. Blues having Kyrou turn into a top line player to replace Swartz (not too unexpected imo) , Thomas getting better as well, RoR and Perron rocking the 2nd line, and now you have Tarasenko sniping away on the 3rd line, Blues depth is back.

Now just imagine if they still had a #1 defenseman on the back end. Oh well.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Matty Beniers is going to save the Kraken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

The 'Oh well Seattle didn't have a whole lot of talent to pick from. Unlike Vegas who was gifted 2/3rds of a first line. So really what do you want them to do?' narrative drives me completely up the wall. It's complete and utter gas lighting bullshit. Ron Francis has set the Seattle franchise back years already and the longer he remains in charge the worse it's going to get.

At last count Seattle made 5 (and it might be 6 now) player picks that are no longer with the organization. Fully 20% of their most valuable resource completely wasted. Dave Hakstol didn't hire himself. Dave Hakstol will remain head coach for entirely too long because of this narrative and the continued blame being on the goalies. Francis will remain GM for entirely too long because of the combination of new team and old boys club and dumb gently caress media narrative.

Koopa Kid posted:

I really like reading his stuff because it’s a window into modern (semi)pro-level analysis and coaching and it’s not at all surprising that what you see through that window is… a mixed bag. Mix of obvious observation, interesting knowledge of systems and frameworks, personal opinion on skills development, and absolute old-boy nonsense and navel-gazing all wrapped up together.

Worth noting that he left the Leafs org voluntarily after not quite getting along with Keefe/Dubas and their decision making. When he gives specific stories sometimes he looks good and sometimes he’s a moron, but he doesn’t shy away from the misses (he recommended that the Leafs not draft Adam Fox, for example, which uh…)

I should probably give a read through some of the other stuff. It's an interesting share so thank you for that :) it immediately strikes me though about how far behind footy development hockey probably is.