Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Given that it's no longer January, it's probably time for a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Given that it's no longer January, it's probably time for a new thread.

Is there some technical reason we need a monthly thread?

we're only doing like 400 pages a season.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

I mean, I grew up in the Vancouver area, I'm definitely used to seeing Asian stuff all over the place, but yeah, it's a black design on a round lighter-colored background on a red field that's hung vertically in the lockers. At a quick glance that is absolutely the vibes it gives off.

It's very asian. I mean, sure, if I squint, I can see why people are reacting that way, but you have to try quite hard.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Powershift posted:

Is there some technical reason we need a monthly thread?

we're only doing like 400 pages a season.

Monthly threads are preferable to a single, impenetrable megathread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything I know about asians in Vancouver:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's very asian. I mean, sure, if I squint, I can see why people are reacting that way, but you have to try quite hard.

Yeah, I mean I was literally just scrolling past and not really reading posts and it made me do a double take. it’s obviously not that when you pause to look at it. I don’t think it should be changed and I think it’s cool and good that the Devils did it. But it certain did make me pause for a second as I scrolled past.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: Ovechkin in Covid protocol, will miss All Star game

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

With all the talk about growing the sport and the few articles I've seen about how they can really lean on the skills competition/Vegas scenery/etc to drum up excitement, there was one thing that caught my eye in Elliotte Friedman's column:

quote:

One other initiative from All-Star I wanted to mention: the league is doing a “soft-launch” for a ball-hockey program led by Andrew Ference, the NHL’s director of Social Impact, Growth and Legislative Affairs. Get people to play hockey even if not on ice.

I agreed with what BSH said that this is an easy way to bring some comfort and familiarity with hockey among people who might be intimidated, confused, or just unfamiliar with the sport in general. I don't know how "correct" it is from a business standpoint, but I've long felt that the NHL made a huge mistake by not injecting a ton of resources into inline hockey when it got super popular in the 90's to early 2000's because, for many of my friends growing up, it was far cheaper to play than ice was. The ability to lace up some roller blades at an indoor rink, outdoor rink, or hell any flat blacktop you could find meant there was an accessibility you simply don't have with ice. Ice hockey will always be the "pure" way of playing it and preferable, but just thinking of how the league drums up growing the sport in non-traditional markets, I'm honestly still surprised that the world of roller is so fragmented. Doesn't the NFL have their flag football program? Was there really never an equivalent for the NHL with something like roller or, now, ball hockey?

Granted, I eventually transitioned to ice when I was still young, but if I held up how much I played one over the other, roller hockey would actually come out over ice at this point. (Also played both at the same time for a while and will likely do so again once COVID isn't being spat out on rinks) I also understand how roller blading in general was more of a fad, but it never seemed like the NHL did much to roll that momentum - no pun intended - into something sustainable. I'm sure there's plenty of logistical reasons behind the curtain with it, but from a purely outsider, roller hockey kid, I'm puzzled as to why you wouldn't want Hockey With Skates Playable Everywhere at the top of your list for outreach.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Saves him the fine I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol, yeah right.