Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I'm a big fan of the raspberry ale bellavitano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zil posted:

My current cheese addiction is some merlot cheese I found at my local store

https://www.sartoricheese.com/our-cheese/bellavitano/merlot/

ooh i think i saw this last time i was at the store, adding to the list.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I'm going to Edinburgh (from the Midwest US!) next month, and looking for interesting things to do, I found a cheese crawl. I'm old enough that pub crawls don't sound appealing, but cheese...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g186525-d20065105-The_Edinburgh_Cheese_Crawl-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

On the random chance, has anyone else done this (or similar?)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

I'll check it out.

So my fiance is lactose intolerant but loves cheese, what would be some options for her if there are any? Just something that wouldn't completely wreck her if that's possible.

Goat and sheep contain less lactose, and the lactose is does contain tends to be easier to digest. My wife is also lactose intolerant but has zero issues with goat and sheep cheeses.

Also, very aged cheeses are functionally lactose free, as the aging breaks down lactose into lactic acid, which lends cheeses the "sharpness" they attain as they age.

As far as actually fully lactose free options, you're looking at alternative milk cheeses, which have honestly really come a long way!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Arkhamina posted:

I'm going to Edinburgh (from the Midwest US!) next month, and looking for interesting things to do, I found a cheese crawl. I'm old enough that pub crawls don't sound appealing, but cheese...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g186525-d20065105-The_Edinburgh_Cheese_Crawl-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

On the random chance, has anyone else done this (or similar?)

I've not, but that sounds fun and I might suggest it to folk next time I'm up that way!

Field Mousepad posted:

I'll check it out.

So my fiance is lactose intolerant but loves cheese, what would be some options for her if there are any? Just something that wouldn't completely wreck her if that's possible.
Broadly, the harder/older the cheese, the safer for people who are lactose intolerant.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what would be the closest goat cheese to a gouda? cheese person at the store suggested chevre

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

what would be the closest goat cheese to a gouda? cheese person at the store suggested chevre

Chevre is soft, spreadable goat cheese and is probably the actual furthest you can get from gouda lol what the gently caress were they talking about

The closest goat cheese to gouda would be gouda made from goat milk

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Chevre is soft, spreadable goat cheese and is probably the actual furthest you can get from gouda lol what the gently caress were they talking about

The closest goat cheese to gouda would be gouda made from goat milk

yeah but they didn't have that at the time, so what would be another good option to try?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

yeah but they didn't have that at the time, so what would be another good option to try?

Honestly, and not trying to be contrary, nothing. Gouda is a very specific style of cheese, and doesn't have any real comparisons or substitutions. POSSIBLY some theoretical milder and sweeter alpine, but you aren't likely to find anything like that in goat.

But chevre is absolutely just the goat cheese they had on hand which is why it was suggested. It's not even in the same galaxy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
murray's makes this but i haven't tried it.

https://www.murrayscheese.com/young-goat-gouda
https://www.murrayscheese.com/aged-goat-gouda

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Honestly, and not trying to be contrary, nothing. Gouda is a very specific style of cheese, and doesn't have any real comparisons or substitutions. POSSIBLY some theoretical milder and sweeter alpine, but you aren't likely to find anything like that in goat.

But chevre is absolutely just the goat cheese they had on hand which is why it was suggested. It's not even in the same galaxy.

ok thanks, they did have a lot of goat cheese options, just not gouda

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's always gouda to ask questions

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

actionjackson posted:

ok thanks, they did have a lot of goat cheese options, just not gouda

I quite like goat cheddar, though it varies from cheese to cheese. If you think of cheddar as being "default cheese" then goat cheddar will disabuse you of that notion. Extremely sharp but with a buttery background to it, and the notable enjoyable additions of grassiness that goat cheese typically makes.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

actionjackson posted:

I thought about this for a bit and I feel like if they don't have goat gouda they probably won't have this either, but if you can find garrotxa (a goat cheese) you can give it a try. It will at least be similar in texture to goat gouda. But goat gouda is kind of sweet and like, butterscotch caramel (at least in my experience) whereas garrotxa is more like, woody and buttery I guess. But I think it is worth a try

You can also just ask your cheese store rep to show you some firm goat cheeses and you can usually try a little piece. If you like something, buy some and Google it and see what that leads you to :)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Back from my UK trip, and wanted to relate that after Air Canada lost my special diet (celiac) meal, the flight crew raided 1st class, and while my partner was eating chicken with some sort of pasta, my dinner was a wedge of Brie, one of Stilton, and some sort of white cheese I couldn't place. I went from highly crabby to, 'oh, Brie!'

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

Back from my UK trip, and wanted to relate that after Air Canada lost my special diet (celiac) meal, the flight crew raided 1st class, and while my partner was eating chicken with some sort of pasta, my dinner was a wedge of Brie, one of Stilton, and some sort of white cheese I couldn't place. I went from highly crabby to, 'oh, Brie!'
This is the only positive story I've ever heard about Air Canada and also congratulations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've tried a few dozen goat cheeses in the past few years. Mothais-sur-feuille is the best one. I am posting in case I forget the name so I can look it up later.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Had a really cool cheese shop open up in my neighborhood in Syracuse. The owner just did a thing

Curd Nerd

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ooh, Syracuse isn’t that far. I’ve been in a cheese rut lately, I should branch out and see what the local shops have gotten in. I find that any time I go out and order a cheese plate or whatever it’s all the same stuff - local, mostly, which is great, but they’re all big on being local, so all the restaurants have the same option.

I think I will spend some money on cheese this week. Thanks, cheese thread.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
There's a nice coffee shop a couple blocks away next to an old theater. If you decide to come for the cheese, let me know and I'll buy you a caffeinated beverage of your choice

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I'd forgotten about this thread!

Here's a post I made elsewhere about a home-made cheese dip - perfect with fresh crispy bread.

Teach posted:

Mamma-Mia! What a mistake to make.

- fry down some finely diced chorizo. Drain this when it's cooked, otherwise, it'll all be far too oily.

- mixing bowl, and you need some basic cheese as a base, I've found, so this time I used some shredded mozzarella/mild cheddar mix, and then about the same amount of cream cheese. I used Philadelphia with chillies.
- then same again of your "flavour" cheeses, so Red Leicester this time, and a small slice of Taleggio. I could have gone more of the Taleggio, but I was worried that it would overpower. I also add dried chillies and paprika.

- divide into small heat-proof pots, sprinkle with more chillies, bake at 180 for 20 mins if room temp, 25 from the fridge. Serve with nice bread.

It's my go-to bachelor chow for when I'm only feeding myself and a can of soup feels like too much washing up.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Flyinglemur posted:

There's a nice coffee shop a couple blocks away next to an old theater. If you decide to come for the cheese, let me know and I'll buy you a caffeinated beverage of your choice

Thank you for the offer! I’m going to check out the local cheese places first because I haven’t been in a while and there’s some good options. The good place is closed on Sunday though :argh:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is something going on with Havarti distribution in the Midwest ? I noticed neither Costco nor grocers have had any since just before Christmas.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
No trouble finding it in Wisconsin, but if there is such a thing as Cheese Mafia, we're Sicily.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I was at Costco today and I think they had Havarti, but I wasn't really looking for it.

I was looking for the two-packs of fresh mozzarella, but there wasn't any--just the bags of pre-shredded crap. :argh:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I was unaware of some of these strong contenders, looking forward to trying them.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR3NFHMM/

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I was nodding along, if not in total agreement, and then he shot down morbier right at the end :mad:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The taco truck next to the gas station had a line so I went to the empanada place on the other side of the shopping center and got some of those.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Man this ask/tell thread has come a long way

Anyway how come I don't see sheep milk cheese very much? Does it exist but it isn't advertised? Sheep milk yogurt is the best yogurt ever and I wanted to know if sheep milk cheese would be any good.

Also I picked up some Point Reyes blue cheese last week and it was super good and flavorful, and then I went back and got some more and it's just dry, crumbly, and has almost no flavor. Should have known when I didn't see much mold in it

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

Anyway how come I don't see sheep milk cheese very much? Does it exist but it isn't advertised? Sheep milk yogurt is the best yogurt ever and I wanted to know if sheep milk cheese would be any good.

Also I picked up some Point Reyes blue cheese last week and it was super good and flavorful, and then I went back and got some more and it's just dry, crumbly, and has almost no flavor. Should have known when I didn't see much mold in it

Sheep's milk cheese is delicious and IME pretty easy to find. Did you ask the folks at the cheese counter? When I worked a cheese counter ewephoria was the most popular sheep's milk cheese we sold so you may try asking by name.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Hotel Kpro posted:

Pecorino, manchego, Roquefort and feta are some really easy-to-find sheep cheeses. It might be that you're finding it's 'not advertised' because you're expecting it to be a special feature, rather than normal variation? I don't think any of the aforementioned cheeses would say 'ewe's milk manchego' or whatever.

Regarding your blue, did you also make sure it was the right temperature when you ate it? Being too cold dulls the gently caress out of cheese flavours.

e: Wikipedia helpfully has a list of sheep cheeses, so you could look for/ask about some of them.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 10, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Hotel Kpro posted:

It is a regional thing. I live in a region where sheep cheese is much easier to find then goat cheese. Kinda annoying because I prefer goat.
Peccorino you should find everywhere and it is delicious. Manchego is common and exists in all variants, my personal favourite is a 3 way mix. Same with Feta.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Smoked feta cheese is some god tier poo poo

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Slimy Hog posted:

Sheep's milk cheese is delicious and IME pretty easy to find. Did you ask the folks at the cheese counter? When I worked a cheese counter ewephoria was the most popular sheep's milk cheese we sold so you may try asking by name.
I'm shopping at like 6:30am, ain't no one at the cheese counter

Bollock Monkey posted:

Pecorino, manchego, Roquefort and feta are some really easy-to-find sheep cheeses. It might be that you're finding it's 'not advertised' because you're expecting it to be a special feature, rather than normal variation? I don't think any of the aforementioned cheeses would say 'ewe's milk manchego' or whatever.

Regarding your blue, did you also make sure it was the right temperature when you ate it? Being too cold dulls the gently caress out of cheese flavours.

e: Wikipedia helpfully has a list of sheep cheeses, so you could look for/ask about some of them.
Yeah I'm probably just looking for the wrong thing, or in the wrong spot as I glance around looking at them. I've probably even had some of those before and didn't know it by not paying attention to the label.

I don't think it was too cold, it just didn't seem like it had a lot of mold and was just kinda cheese at that point instead of blue cheese. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Smoked feta cheese is some god tier poo poo

Try pickled feta

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The owner of the cheese shop in my neighborhood won an international cheese monger competition last summer and I'm really loving spoiled when it comes to cheese now.

AND she's really nice, as is everyone that works there. I picked up some 1924 Blue cheese that was explained to me as the last recipe/technique used before rules involving rocquefort were put into place. I'm sure I screwed that up but it's really tasty and if anyone is near Syracuse, it's definitely worth it.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago and a customer mentioned that their local shop had something blah blah blah. She asked where he was from and he said Raleigh, NC. She knew the shop, the shop owner, local cheese that only they can get there and so on. She's so loving cool :)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Upstate NY has Herkimer Cheddar. I miss that. I used to be able to get it in Minneapolis, but haven't seen it in Wisconsin. From Upstate NY, so it is the cheese's intrinsic value+nostalgia.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Arkhamina posted:

Upstate NY has Herkimer Cheddar. I miss that. I used to be able to get it in Minneapolis, but haven't seen it in Wisconsin. From Upstate NY, so it is the cheese's intrinsic value+nostalgia.

Do you ever get back this way?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
A few years back I drove out to Vermont to hang out with some goons for a weekend, two years running, but not since. I love the NE, but live in the Midwest now.
(Shout-out to Weltlich for allowing weirdos to literally camp on his doorstep!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

AND she's really nice, as is everyone that works there. I picked up some 1924 Blue cheese that was explained to me as the last recipe/technique used before rules involving rocquefort were put into place. I'm sure I screwed that up but it's really tasty and if anyone is near Syracuse, it's definitely worth it.

Sounds like this is Roquefort-style cheese marketed as such before EU-US Protected Designation of Origin trade agreements came into effect? The EU is red hot on that and is a big enough trade bloc to make it stick, hence why there is no US 'Champagne' except a couple of cheap brands that got grandfathered in.

Anyway Roquefort owns and i wish I were close enough to give it a go.