Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Idlewild_ posted:

My partner spoils me. All I said was that the grocery store parmesan wasn't that good. Previously she bought a sampler that had wedges of the vacche rosse, bianche, and brune so we could compare and pick which was our favourite. But I thought that was special for Valentine's Day. I expected her to revert to another decent but less pricey cheese from the Italian specialty shop she orders from, but then this CHUNK arrived.

:vince: that's a chunk all right.

poo poo snipe, so let me add some amazing Bayley Hazen blue

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Zipperelli. posted:

:vince: that's a chunk all right.

poo poo snipe, so let me add some amazing Bayley Hazen blue

Whoa that looks amazing

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's the best blue cheese imo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

"cheese is manfood" is a good thread title

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Slimy Hog posted:

seconded

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Slimy Hog posted:

Cheese Thread 2022: cheese is manfood

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
For some reason*, that phrase makes me think of Lord of the Rings Uruk Hai talking about Manflesh.

*(that reason is that I am a nerd.)

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Any recommended books for home cheesemaking? Do you need special equipment to do aged cheeses or can you do it in your fridge like you can with some charcuterie?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I AM NOT... AN... ANIMAL... I AM... A... MAN! *stuffs face with cheese*

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

camoseven posted:

Any recommended books for home cheesemaking? Do you need special equipment to do aged cheeses or can you do it in your fridge like you can with some charcuterie?

You can just do it in your fridge, but I don't recommend it. It wants a quiet, stable, clean environment, and your normal fridge is probably none of those. You can usually pick up like a mini-fridge or wine fridge for pretty cheap.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The GiP Ukraine thread went wildly off the rails recently.

GD_American posted:

People with storefronts, who purchase inventory from wholesalers, are cheesemongers. This dude was a straight-up cheese dealer

:allears:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Friend of mine is trying to convince me that Brunost is good with butter (Kerrygold for preference) and Ritz crackers. Anyone have experience?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

sfwarlock posted:

Friend of mine is trying to convince me that Brunost is good...

I mean, probs not. It's funny stuff - like a cross between cheese and fudge. oddly sweet. Although I've never tried it with toast and butter.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
reminded me of caramel a little. try dipping it coffee. haha

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Brunost is one of those weird things where most people are like "eh" about it, but the people who like it LOVE it and need it daily. One woman came in and bought like 3 pounds and made caramel apples with it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Brunost is good as poo poo sliced very thin and served on toast of slightly sweet bread. A suppose if you're already doing that you might as well add a bit of butter as well.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
So this is what I don't get; if Brunost is like caramel, that seems super rich already, why add butter?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

sfwarlock posted:

So this is what I don't get; if Brunost is like caramel, that seems super rich already, why add butter?
If pizza is already greasy why add pepperoni?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

If pizza is already greasy why add pepperoni?

BRB, gonna go butter a pepperoni cheese pizza.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Murgos posted:

BRB, gonna go butter a pepperoni cheese pizza.
Calzones are often buttered and by golly I'd recommend it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Teach posted:

It's funny stuff - like a cross between cheese and fudge. oddly sweet.

It's loving caramel fudge.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

D34THROW posted:

I want to try cooking cheese in my smoker. What are good cheeses to smoke over a pellet smoker?

Smoked feta cheese is some god tier poo poo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Smoked feta cheese is some god tier poo poo

Wait til you try it pickled

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Well I have a new project for this weekend! What kind of brine should I use?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Finally going through the results from the 2022 World Championship Cheese Contest .

Beecher's Flagship Reserve, best of class.
Land o Lakes aged cheddar 1--2yr, best of class.
Emmentaler only took third, beaten by Gourmino.
Burrata? Never heard of it. Any good?
BelGioioso Mandarini Aged Provolone, best in class.
BelGioioso Asiago Fresco, best in class.
Emmi Roth havarti, Fonterra camembert,

Haha I love how the scores for string cheese are higher than swiss overall.

"Sea Salt Caramel Butter"... seriously? (3rd place in class)

Tonnes more. Butter, yogurt, whey, dry milk powder.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Burrata is a type of mozzarella, where you make a sort of pouch of the cheese and fill it with creamy curds then tie it off. It's amazing.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Are you in the mood for cheese food?

https://twitter.com/translatedtees/status/1545583282066141184

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Brunost is best with butter, and particularly good with very sweet breads or even cakes. Waffles are very good. It belongs in the family of sweet Nordic cheese foodstuffs like prim, a softer kind of brunost resembling Swedish mesost, along with things like gome, or dravle which generally are sweetened cheese curds often spiced with cinnamon or cardamom and zinged up with raisins, again familiar to southwestern Swedish äggost (lit. "egg cheese"), a kind of sweet fresh cheese rounded off with eggs for holidays. These kinds of sweet cheese foods are traditionally a staple for the midday break where a spread of simple cakes, waffles, fresh raisin buns or lefse are eaten with copious amounts of coffee. It's glorious.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
My country is so boring. I try to find good cheese when I visit but have to be careful with gifts. After moving away I learned to cook meals that tasted like the food itself, instead of masking the ingredients with salt licks and black pepper, so when I've given them something that tastes good they often haven't been able to taste it. A nice soft goat cheese? "Nice cream cheese, I thought only Philadelphia made that".

When I was a kid, I had to teach my mother to use herbs and spices, to not over boil vegetables, to turn the damned heat down on the grill, and that there was cheese that didn't come in individually wrapped slices. Admittedly she succeeded at pies and cookies, but holidays here are like "starve for ten hours and then maybe finally start eating around three... or four... well we're still waiting on great aunt Margaret..." so by the time you sit down your stomach has room for a bite or two before you're full.

The family would have dragged me down the road behind a car if I told them we needed a midday spread of waffles and raisin buns. :confuoot:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know anything about cheese, but I saw my parents today and they were like, these cheese ended up in our bag instead of the person who bought it, do you want it? so i'm like sure

it's beemster goat gouda and this is the most amazing thing i have ever tasted. it is so loving smooth and creamy it's like a dessert. holy gently caress i almost ate the whole wedge

and in a really weird coincidence, a neighbor gave me some white wine yesterday, which I guess pairs well with it?

god drat i'm in heaven

i see why this was $30/lb!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I don't know anything about cheese, but I saw my parents today and they were like, these cheese ended up in our bag instead of the person who bought it, do you want it? so i'm like sure

it's beemster goat gouda and this is the most amazing thing i have ever tasted. it is so loving smooth and creamy it's like a dessert. holy gently caress i almost ate the whole wedge

and in a really weird coincidence, a neighbor gave me some white wine yesterday, which I guess pairs well with it?

god drat i'm in heaven

i see why this was $30/lb!

Beemster is out of this world good, glad you had some fall in your lap.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

apparently the cow version won best gouda, aged 4-10 months at the 2022 world cheese championship

what would be the difference in taste in the cow vs. goat version?

also it sounds like gouda refers to a specific cheese making process, and that the longer it's aged, the sweeter it tastes?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you won the cheese lottery!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

apparently the cow version won best gouda, aged 4-10 months at the 2022 world cheese championship

what would be the difference in taste in the cow vs. goat version?

also it sounds like gouda refers to a specific cheese making process, and that the longer it's aged, the sweeter it tastes?

Goat is usually grassier and more floral, sometimes with a funkiness.

The OP of this thread has a lot of info about this exact kind of stuff, check it out.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Gouda

A variety of sweet and creamy cow's milk (traditionally) cheese, originally produced in the Netherlands. Gouda cheese was first mentioned historically in 1184, which makes it one of the oldest cheeses in the world that is still made today. Gouda as a term covers the style of cheese making and flavor profile rather than any specific cheese itself, and is a pretty broad category covering multiple styles and ages. Younger goudas tend to be mild and slightly fudgy in texture, while aged gouda starts obtaining caramel and butterscotch notes. Higher ages also begin forming :siren: CHEESE CRYSTALS :siren:, which are fuckin amazing (these are just crystallization of different substances that form as moisture content lowers in the cheese with age).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yep I saw that, thanks!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Holy poo poo I have to try goat Gouda cheese now, I didn't even know it existed.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

My current cheese addiction is some merlot cheese I found at my local store

https://www.sartoricheese.com/our-cheese/bellavitano/merlot/

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zil posted:

My current cheese addiction is some merlot cheese I found at my local store

https://www.sartoricheese.com/our-cheese/bellavitano/merlot/

Bellavitano is a good product. They have one called Rum Runner which is soaked in rum, gives it a really good bite. They also do a great parmesan that's made with microbial rennet, so it's actually fully vegetarian.

Field Mousepad posted:

Holy poo poo I have to try goat Gouda cheese now, I didn't even know it existed.

There is sheep as well. There are some incredible goat goudas out there. Try Midnight Moon, should be easy to find.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'll check it out.

So my fiance is lactose intolerant but loves cheese, what would be some options for her if there are any? Just something that wouldn't completely wreck her if that's possible.