Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

No Wave posted:

Out of curiosity - do most people end up buying the curse "upgrade" in the metaprogression shop? The game does get a little too easy without it so was curious what most people do.

Yep!

There is a mid-to-late game relic that unlocks "Limit Break" as a stage option. When Limit Break is on, you get to upgrade your weapons indefinitely, instead of getting bags of cash / floor chicken once all weapons/passives are maxed.

When that mode's on, curse becomes worth having -- it means XP gems are useful for the entire duration of a run, and every additional enemy is an additional gem. You're making the first few minutes of a run slightly harder in exchange for more level-ups in the later parts of a run.

Curse also means additional enemies to kill during Gold Fever if you're farming gold in late-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

The Mattybee posted:

it's exactly this

Crit (the character) has become way less painful to play with the horns added

Yep, just finished a Stage 5 run without breathing hard using it. One brain running an intestine to drop the lightning field, one brain drops Mutants with horns, and the other two brains just spam horns or swords. Anything that wasn't a boss died near instantly once it got in range.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Bio-Prototype I know it's not explained in game, and I apologize if it was mentioned here already, but Heart of the Wolf (Activate when damage is taken) and Black Heart (Activate on death) can be tied to offspring. Meaning that if/when your offspring are killed or expire, the organ on the right will trigger. I just assumed that those only applied to the brain. Total game changer for me. Of course, after I figure this out, I don't get any ant or heart drops in the same run, but still, now I have a run.

Yep! It's particularly powerful with Imps, who take damage from your own shots. Imps with either of those Hearts, plus one of those mushroom AOE weapons on another brain to trigger them, are an absurdly strong build. (One that got nerfed recently.)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

The shield maiden feels like easy mode to me in HoT.

They're really weak when you first get them, but once you get some gear (esp. the gloves that retaliate with a crit on a successful block) and max out Block Defense, yes, they're easy mode.

There's a quest for them where you don't move for the first 3 minutes of a level; I got that far, and then decided "hey let's see how far I can take this." I went for 12 minutes without moving, until the second boss arrived, and I nearly got them down without moving too. For the rest of the run, I turned off auto-attack and went AFK, and just let her kill everything with shield bash or Radiant Aura.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

serefin99 posted:

I think there's something to be said if an item/weapon/skill/whatever is too overtuned, but overall yeah I agree, a good portion of the appeal for these games is to be a power fantasy.

Agreed. It's one thing to have a slow-burn game that ramps up to something ridiculous through meta-progression, but you still need to be ridiculous by the end. The most recent HOT patch removed pretty much all power fantasy from the game.

In particular, the ice area on agony runs is really unforgiving for melee characters; you can have maxed out blessings and good gear and good RNG on spells/level-up rewards, and still feel like you're barely scraping by with agony seemingly stuck on 0.

I knocked out the new blessings for multihit and frost damage (and the spirit warrior bits -- that thing is way better than I expected) but after that I'm putting it down for a bit and playing other stuff until the devs rebalance some things.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Everything on Frozen Depths is still a bullet sponge, and bosses still move fast as gently caress.

Also, the patch appears to have a save corruption issue -- a bunch of people in the Steam forums are reporting that they get all quests completed (and every achievement) but then deletes all your equipment and bottles.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't just you, it's apparently a pretty thinly coded racist thing.

Someone brought up this game a few pages ago, and it's apparently a parody of/shitpost about people's thinly coded racist thing? Which idk is much better but w/e

Megazver posted:

In this case in particular, it's a dumb Russian meme.

Russia has its fair share of really dumb pseudohistorical conspiracies and racist neopagan weirdos (who indeed can be very antisemitic), and someone created a deliberate parody of them by recording a bunch of Youtube videos about Truth They're Trying to Hide about the ancient Rus warriors of Hyperborea and their trusty dinosaur pets who fought the perfidious lizardmen menace to defend the waters of the holy Baikal lake (which give you super-strength like in Asterix). It's very dumb and, given that anyone can crank out a meme, occasionally not very PC by American standards, but if anything it's mostly mocking the Russian neopagans and the dumb racist poo poo some of them believe.

Then someone made an hour-long, $2 shitpost videogame about it. Somehow, it sold well enough (I guess it's cheap enough people are willing to buy it for lulz) that it's getting a bullet heaven sequel.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

For Halls of Torment, is there any point in getting the potion ingredients repeatedly? Like if I already got all three in a previous run, do they rotate or give you anything besides a few more enemies to kill?

Yeah, once you've gotten an ingredient once, they're just a source of a few extra kills.

FYI, some levels have different ingredients when Agony is turned on.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played and beat Picayune Dreams yesterday. Very fun and satisfying VS-like. The story, music and boss fights were all top tier. Highly recommend.

hey, thanks for mentioning this game, it was not on my radar at all and is a ton of fun

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

I feel like DRG:S is peak fun at Hazard 2/3 -- drat near impossible at first, but becomes easy with meta and a bit of luck. Haz 4 can gently caress right off, and Haz 5 is pretty much "did you get lucky with upgrades/routing on the first floor, if not, you're gonna die instantly."

The limit to 4 weapons is fine by me, especially given the tag synergy system. (Also it feels like part of the fun of a VSlike is taking a basic weapon and upgrading it to absurdity, and having just 4 weapons reduces some dilution from the upgrade pool.) If I had to pick a few things to change it'd be:

* Paltry upgrades. Just delete all the gray and green upgrades entirely -- they don't feel good, and having them come up just feels like getting hosed by RNG. Blue upgrades are the _starting_ point for where an upgrade actually feels like an upgrade. I'm okay with upgrades modifying individual aspects of a weapon, as long as they're big upgrades and not "3% fire rate."

* Overclocks taking too long to get, which dovetails with the rerolling mechanic. There's a tension between "rush to an overclock as fast as possible" and "pick up some blue/purple upgrades along the way so that your gun actually feels good once it's overclocked." IMHO the overclock levels need to be far earlier -- you should be getting one weapon overclocked by end of floor 1, and have most/all weapons fully overclocked by the time you get to floor 5. Give players a chance to build weapon synergies and do interesting poo poo.

* Rethink artifacts entirely. There's two artifacts that feel great every time (BLT, Squintees); most are either neutral or situational; and some are actively detrimental at higher hazards. Drop pods are more useful for deleting bosses than they are for the loot inside them. (Also, allow rerolling of both artifacts and overclocks, already.)

* Swarm scaling. On one hand, I do like that DRG:S encourages movement and positioning and wave management, instead of "yolo into the nearest group of mobs." But Haz4 is simply not fun, and even Haz3 is somewhat challenging, and most of that has to do with needing to prioritize armor/movespeed over weapon upgrades in order to survive.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

(pull up, thread)

The new biome in DRG:S is actually really fun. Tons of rock + fast digging means that you can really funnel the swarm effectively in the early seconds of a round and focus on routing and gold/nitra collection. However, the rollers chewing up the place means that as the round continues you have to do a lot more dodging, intermittent digging, and deal with the swarm coming at you from other angles. The stalagmites have a ton of strategic uses -- softening up harder rocks, killing minibosses, or better funneling for the swarm.

Even with that, you still feel unpleasantly squishy at Hazard 4 and beyond unless you get lucky with rolls/weapons and go hard into Armor and MoveSpeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

What are the three missing items here?

Your missing three are:

Hats (starting weapon of Horse -- if you haven't unlocked them, kill 6000 "suspicious looking" enemies in the VS level)
Mini Horse (gets added to the level up item pool once Hats is at max level)
Silver Tongue (upgraded version of Sharp Tongue, the Imposter starter weapon -- evolves with Mini Imposter, just play as Imposter on the VS level where the Mini Imposter always spawns as a stage item)