Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Welcome to the Blue Blood Thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/ttnc9z/gif_war_meet_the_blue_bloods/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

quote:

For the second time in the Self era, KU will play Villanova in the NCAA Tournament F4. It didn't end well the first time in 2018 as Villanova's athletes and five out/NBA style exploited a more traditional KU roster construction with center Udoka Azubuike struggling to cover the perimeter. Unfortunately for us, Villanova problematically plays the same five out/NBA style of basketball against a similarly structured KU roster centered around McCormack at the 5. As you'll recognize below, this has the potential to be an absolute matchup nightmare once again.

Villanova is one of the best offensive teams in the country and quite possibly the best offensive team KU has played all season (9th in adjusted offensive efficiency). Their efficiency is largely a product of their shot profile (they shoot threes on 46.1% of their field goal attempts, 20th in the NCAA), not turning the ball over (29th in turnover rate), and the highest team FT% in NCAA history (83%). They are likely the most analytically inclined program in the NCAA and like most/all NBA teams these days they look to get layups/get to the line or kick out to 3PT shooters every possession. Under Jay Wright (arguably top 5 coach in all of NCAA/NBA basketball), they are an incredibly disciplined and well coached team who value the ball, space the floor and take high efficiency shots at all times. Regardless of their personnel, with this style, they are incredibly difficult for any team to defend. They also purposely play the game at a snail's pace (345th tempo in the country) to limit their opponents' transition opportunities. As noted previously with Miami, limiting transition is especially important against a team in KU whose major strength is exactly that.

Villanova is also at their best when they are playing five switchable guards/wing types. The loss of Justin Moore makes that a bit more difficult for them, but Moore was Villanova's least efficient offensive player among their top 6 rotation players. No shots for him may simply mean more shots for more efficient players like Collin Gillespie (one of the best players in college basketball who shoots 41% from three) or Caleb Daniels (38% from three). Villanova also plays a 6'8 big (Eric Dixon) for much of the game who is the best shooter on the team (shooting 52% from three). He hasn't taken many of those shots this year (just 33), but without Moore he may be more inclined to take more. This spacing/three point shooting could be a serious issue for KU with McCormack stuck in the paint on defense. Will Self have to adjust and play Wilson at the 5 to address this during certain portions of the game? He may have to.

In addition to their effective offense, Villanova is also one of the best defensive teams in the country (17th in adjusted defensive efficiency) due to their ability to switch at all five positions. They have no major shot blocker, but they are so cohesive at that end and all five of their players are so adept at guarding one-on-one that they significantly limit any good shot opportunities. And as mentioned, their tempo is so slow that they allow almost no easy transition baskets.

Overall, Villanova is just a very solid, efficient, smart basketball team that poses matchup issues for more traditional lineups. While they may not have quite the talent the 2018 team did, you could not draw up a style more difficult for this particular KU team to deal with. KU will need to play easily their best game of the tournament to win. Better be ready.

Counterpoint: Villanova has five rotational players

Also there may be some other game but nobody cares about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The NCAA is rigged so Duke is going to win it all.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hello and gently caress Duke.

I'll hang up and listen.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
gently caress Duke and Coach K and the NCAA for rigging it so that they'll win it all this year.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Go Heels baby.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

villanova will want to start making shots soon

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This is gonna be embarrassing for Villanova

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Gillespie has been loving awful so far.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

An awesome job by that photographer not to get plowed.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

This boy Agbaji can’t miss

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm ready to watch Coach K's final game ever. There will not be another one following this.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

de curry GOAT posted:

This boy Agbaji can’t miss

it is hard to defend against a team that gives literally everyone the option to casually and repeatedly drain sick 3-pointers

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hey.

rcjh

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I do not believe there have factually only been 3 fouls in this game.

Not that it matters because Nova's just awful, but it seems to favor Kansas quite a bit in the theory that this game is ever anything sort of competitive.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Villanova should try to stop Kansas from scoring or they might lose this!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I do not believe there have factually only been 3 fouls in this game.

Not that it matters because Nova's just awful, but it seems to favor Kansas quite a bit in the theory that this game is ever anything sort of competitive.

I mean, the refs have been swallowing whistles all tournament, which favors Nova more since they're smaller and have less depth, but... well.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

de curry GOAT posted:

I crunched the numbers and this is correct

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

de curry GOAT posted:

counterpoint: Villanova should try to score themselves, in order to keep up with Kansas doing so!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I mean, the refs have been swallowing whistles all tournament, which favors Nova more since they're smaller and have less depth, but... well.

I wonder if it's a different crew thing because there were definitely a few games where the officials were more aggressive about...like doing their jobs. But yeah most of the most egregious officiating fuckups I remember this year have been guys just swallowing the whistle.

Anyway I was working on the theory that if Kansas's bigs are allowed to maul everyone inside it hurts Villanova but they're not exactly forcing the issue all that often.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

WHAT THE gently caress IS A CHARGE TO THESE PEOPLE

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
cmon villanova! i want to watch a game that's close!

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Doctor Teeth posted:

villanova will want to start making shots soon

thank you

stump collector
May 28, 2007
im barely able to watch the game right but that dunk before the break shouldve been an and1

stump collector fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 3, 2022

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!
If Agbaji isn’t going to miss, not even Bill Self can mess this up.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

french toast posted:

If Agbaji isn’t going to miss, not even Bill Self can mess this up.

actually bill self can mess anything up

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Man I don't want to play Kansas neither.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

stump collector posted:

actually bill self can mess anything up

Especially ncaa investigations

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

hell yeah

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Oooh that’s tuff

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The whole game's been a :fork: for Villanova, but they can't buy a stop when they absolutely need one.

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!
Not going to get back into it when off balance 30 footers are going in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Braun annoys me. Kansas annoys me.

It annoys me that I'm likely going to be the only person in the world rooting for Duke who hates them in a couple of days.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Crazy, I wrote this team off after getting completely destroyed by Kentucky. Feels good man.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Wiltsghost posted:

Crazy, I wrote this team off after getting completely destroyed by Kentucky. Feels good man.

Same.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I hate every team left now

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

*frighteningly blank affect* gently caress duke

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Elephanthead posted:

I hate every team left now

Same

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’ve never seen a Final Four thread so dead here. This is dire.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I want to watch with the hope that Duke will lose, but I know we live in a hell universe and Duke winning is inevitable, so I really don't want to watch. Watching would also mean cheering for UNC which I also don't want to do. I'd say meteor but New Orleans has been through enough recently to wish for that.

In short, gently caress Duke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Who the hell picked Dukes song lmao