Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Obviously, it should be fighter, thief, barbarian, and warlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
id like a novel approach. how about wizard, ghost, dracula, electromancer, teamster, hacker, and wrestler

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

scary ghost dog posted:

id like a novel approach. how about wizard, ghost, dracula, electromancer, teamster, hacker, and wrestler

WoD20 is back

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
We need to get back to basics. Lead guitar, bass guitar, drums, piano, vocalist (with a tamborines subclass).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's really simple.

Black wizard, white wizard green wizard, red wizard and blue wizard.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's fighter, mage, priest, thief, lord, ninja, samurai, bishop

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Defender, Striker, Controller, Support, Artillery?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Give me an edition that just has the weirdo experimental 4e classes in it.

Warlord, runepriest, seeker, warden, avenger, evoker, and shaman

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fighting Man, Magic-User, Thief, Dwarf, Elf, and Hobbit. You know, the classes.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Cut it down to the core three.

Reading, Riting, Rithmetic

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Taking this class and only moving diagonally and offering plenary indulgences to enemies for a small "donation"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Coder, hacker, sysadmin

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Tank, Scrapper, Controller, Defender, Blaster. Now we're a City of Heroes rpg

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Taking this class and only moving diagonally and offering plenary indulgences to enemies for a small "donation"

No, no, you get one to identify items but leave it in town otherwise.

Unless you're cheating, of course.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Soonmot posted:

Tank, Scrapper, Controller, Defender, Blaster. Now we're a City of Heroes rpg

One of the things that amused me about 4E was discourse was when people said "4E is WoW" because the much more obvious MMORPG class design comparison was CoH.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Also the whole thing about "tanking" and "aggro" because honestly compelled duel is the most boring way to tank. What 4e nailed was the satisfaction of putting down all your marks, buffs, and debuffs, and then looking the monster/GM in the eye and daring them to call your bluff. And hey, sometimes they'd pull out a burst encounter power or whatever! That's the game bebeh

Closest I ever got in 5e was standing in the hallway and spamming shield while my party cowered and Dodged every turn instead of trying to turn things around.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Tank, Anti-Tank, Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and Electronic Warfare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

They got a lot of feedback that people didn't want it during the playtests I imagine. Despite what people think is neat design space, people really liked what they had currently.

It's one of those things that sounds good to people not actually playing - but people in practice prefer the identities of the classes they play to the arbitrary categories they don't. It can be useful however for gap analysis and for inspiration; I think there's no way we'd have the 4e or 5e barbarian or sorcerer if someone hadn't sat down and pointed out they actually needed design space to exist in rather than being angy fighter and crippled wizard,