Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Alternatively: They called the *insert number here*th D&D, One D&D.

If you are looking to discuss or ask questions about the current 5th Edition of the game the 5th Edition thread is Here.

If you are looking to discuss or ask questions about the 4th Edition of the game, the 4th edition thread is located Here.

---------------
Overview:

One D&D™ as they are calling it, is fundamentally built off of their 5th edition ruleset, with seemingly a number of changes and tweaks aimed at addressing problems that WotC sees with 5th edition as it's nearing a decade of release and play.

The new PHB/DMG/MM is currently scheduled to be released in 2024.

General Overview
https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

FAQ
https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1310-faq-one-d-d-rules-d-d-digital-and-physical-digital

---------------
Playtest Materials:

The initial playtest materials for 1D&D(OD&D?) can be found on D&D Beyond Here

This PDF covers Races, Backgrounds Feats and some of the foundation changes to 5e spell organization and changes to some status effects, that they are making for the new PHB.

Video about Character Origins with Crawford, discussing philosophy around these changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQ_Exh0DmY

Video about the Expert Classes and other changes, With Crawford (9/28/2022)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l44mmYu2pqM

playlist of videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfS8QgUdeGYpjKukxCBPTRJErLC5NMEWR

Will keep updated as more playtest material is released

---------------
Housekeeping

Discussions about editions, flaws in 5e, problems with WotC etc etc are going to obviously unavoidable in this thread, and since this is a playtest there are going to be discussions about flaws in 5e, and problems/flaws that people see in the playtest material.

Just, Please don't be flip assholes to other posters here, or make grand negative assertions about people because of a game they chose to play or not play.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One minor change I am happy to see is Slowed becoming a condition. There is a fair number of effects that cause that in the game and it’s nice they won’t have to repeat the rules for it each time now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Well I'll give them this : at least now you can make a half-halfling. A quarterling.

Now where's my god drat warlord.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well I'll give them this : at least now you can make a half-halfling. A quarterling.

If it’s not in the Class PDF I intend to request it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Xiahou Dun posted:

You'll shout your own arm back on during a short rest and you'll like it

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm puzzled why they'd make it so Rogues don't get to double their sneak attack damage on a critical. That's probably the thing I like least about the document as presented. As if Rogues needed a nerf.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, there's nothing aside from the spirit of fair play keeping you from claiming dual parentage, taking the stats you want from one, and the appearance you want from another?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, there's nothing aside from the spirit of fair play keeping you from claiming dual parentage, taking the stats you want from one, and the appearance you want from another?

What's unfair about that

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I welcome our new party of perfectly optimised horrifying birdpeople

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tarnop posted:

You'll shout your own arm back on during a short rest and you'll like it

Let me non-magically shout my own severed arm onto the bad guys and then choke them with it, WotC.

Jack B Nimble posted:

How is this unfair what.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Let me non-magically shout my own severed arm onto the bad guys and then choke them with it, WotC.

Godrick the grafted, but with alien limb syndrome

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
D&Done

No seriously, this will either be the edition that lures me back or the first one I don't even buy. I've only run 5e for my kids, apart from an unfun playtest thingy.

If it goes back to more fun tactical poo poo I'm down, possibly. If it doubles down on the blob of unformed play-doh that's 5e, nope.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm also not sure why they felt the need to nerf grappling.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

quarterling sounds like an old timey racial slur

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Azathoth posted:

quarterling sounds like an old timey racial slur

how about demihobbit

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xiahou Dun posted:

How is this unfair what.

Sorry, I see now that's literally exactly what the dual origin steps are: mechanics from one, appearance from another. I'd worried some GMs might disapprove of you selecting your "rules" from whatever is most advantageous mechanically without also having to RP that Origin, I'd assumed it still "wanted" you to have a blended appearance. Personally, I'm grateful to finally be free from worrying if the race I want to select might be sub optimal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Lobe posted:

I quite like the new grappling rules. They're pretty straightforward and the end of turn save does mean it's guaranteed at least one turn of effect. They're probably the least awkward grappling rules in D&D outside 4E.

Also a tiny creature can grapple tiny creature at full speed which is a delightful image.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 19, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm puzzled why they'd make it so Rogues don't get to double their sneak attack damage on a critical. That's probably the thing I like least about the document as presented. As if Rogues needed a nerf.

My only thought is maybe there is a specific thing tied to the Rogue(or Paladin for smite) class itself that deals with critical weapon attacks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Lobe posted:

I could see Sneak Attack getting a line that says it’s damage doubles on a crit.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I'm making a motion to refer to this edition as either 1D&D or D&Done. OD&D is already in use to refer to original/old D&D (the edition before AD&D/BD&D)

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm a fan of this change, personally. Only preventing movent but also requiring a full action to only maybe break free of was a little weird--weak effect and obnoxious cost to end it. This feels like a poor man's Marked condition, which seems like a big improvement

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So I quite like all the changes in this. It's clear there's a lot of bad stuff still hanging around, like the 5E specific inspiration still being capped at one (which meshes terribly with the otherwise neat new ways to gain it) and the D&D perennial of combat vs non-combat feats still pulling from the same pool. But yeah the actual changes are... good?

lol that they turned Genesys initiative into a feat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Lobe posted:

Grappling seems better to me now cause of the disadvantage on attacks it gives. Remember it also only gives the slowed condition while moving, so once you stop moving it no longer applies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

I could see Sneak Attack getting a line that says it’s damage doubles on a crit.
Yeah, having the base rule just list the weapon dice and having other things that double explicitly saying they double within their descriptions is the smart, future-proofy way of doing it. Also as Dexo said it opens up for special mechanics to have more interesting crit effects than just doubling.

I just noticed that unarmed strike lets you choose the effect after rolling, which is a) very good and cool and b) a tentatively hopeful indication that they're maybe going to give fighters good things.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The DC is lower than the average proficiency with athletics would make it, you can't even apply athletics expertise, an enemy can escape with no opportunity cost, which nullifies my barbarians favorite strategy of grapple then knock prone.

It also means the advantage conferred by rage to strength checks no longer matters there. So, I'm not happy about it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

So I quite like all the changes in this. It's clear there's a lot of bad stuff still hanging around, like the 5E specific inspiration still being capped at one (which meshes terribly with the otherwise neat new ways to gain it) and the D&D perennial of combat vs non-combat feats still pulling from the same pool. But yeah the actual changes are... good?

lol that they turned Genesys initiative into a feat.

Well if you get Inspiration and have it already you automatically pass it to another player. To me this just encourages using it more cause it’s much easier to get.
Raising the cap is also a very simple house rule as well. I always forget to hand out Inspiration so I plan to try out the new rules for it and see if it’s used more.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

Yeah, having the base rule just list the weapon dice and having other things that double explicitly saying they double within their descriptions is the smart, future-proofy way of doing it. Also as Dexo said it opens up for special mechanics to have more interesting crit effects than just doubling.

I just noticed that unarmed strike lets you choose the effect after rolling, which is a) very good and cool and b) a tentatively hopeful indication that they're maybe going to give fighters good things.

Some earlier stuff has hinted at Maneuvers becoming baseline, along with feats granting Superiority Dice.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I like that it's just "I hit, you're grappled." No more opposed checks will make it slightly faster to play. As a side effect, AC boosts like Shield become even better, now that they can help avoid grapple/shove.

Not being tied to athletics is also an improvement. No need to shoehorn expertise or even athletics into a build. I wonder what athletics will be used for now.

I'm surprised they left the ability to drag things around pretty much unchanged. That's where it could get silly in combination with damage zones. Also seems like grappling works with OAs now which is nice as a mini-Sentinel.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some earlier stuff has hinted at Maneuvers becoming baseline, along with feats granting Superiority Dice.

Those being baked in sounds the most elegant way to improve the class. Maybe also Level Gate Maneuvers to give another sense of progression.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Lobe posted:

The DC is lower than the average proficiency with athletics would make it, you can't even apply athletics expertise, an enemy can escape with no opportunity cost, which nullifies my barbarians favorite strategy of grapple then knock prone.

It also means the advantage conferred by rage to strength checks no longer matters there. So, I'm not happy about it.
1) Unified, easily understood mechanics are good. The attack is a straight attack against AC and the escape save uses the spell DC formula, both of which are very promising moves. Also look at it from the player perspective; which is more fun, to be grappled by a monster and have to give up your action to try to escape, potentially failing and wasting your entire turn? Or to start wailing on the monster as normal and maybe break free later?
2) You're mourning the loss of the opportunity cost while overlooking that there is now a set cost (assuming you hit them in the first place that is). They have no movement while grappled and and can only escape at the end of their turn. If you grapple then prone a guy (presumably you're using two attacks to do this) then they can attack you from the prone position but cannot stand back up until their next turn. At which point you will have had a turn, which you can use one attack to grapple them with again and another attack to kick them in the face. The target doesn't have to choose to use their attack to escape but their ability to move (e: and therefor to stand up) has been completely deleted.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 19, 2022

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Seems like a big monk buff. Grapple with unarmed dex attacks which you get a lot of. No worrying about athletics or strength. No worrying about free hands when you can effectively kick. Only problem still is being a monk with crap defenses in melee.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well if you get Inspiration and have it already you automatically pass it to another player. To me this just encourages using it more cause it’s much easier to get.
Raising the cap is also a very simple house rule as well. I always forget to hand out Inspiration so I plan to try out the new rules for it and see if it’s used more.

I don't like the idea of gaining Inspiration randomly, but it certainly solves the problem of GMs refusing or forgetting to give Inspiration.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ritorix posted:

I like that it's just "I hit, you're grappled." No more opposed checks will make it slightly faster to play. As a side effect, AC boosts like Shield become even better, now that they can help avoid grapple/shove.
I didn't even notice that. Yeah, some guy walks past you and you unarmed attack him to either go for the hug of death or just armbar him to the ground with prone.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey, long time no see.

My concern is things like a Musician in a band with Humans, for example. Two humans in a party of four with a level 5+ musician means an immediate overflow after every long rest. Which may seem like an edge case, but if you're already hitting situations where you're losing heritage bonuses in the first document...

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
So looking at the Healer feat, this seems pretty powerful for out-of-combat healing - not only can you can heal one hit die per round without a rest, since the healer adds their proficiency bonus instead of the recipient's Constitution bonus, its pretty great for party members that have lower constitution (plus the reroll). Patch up your crew immediately after every fight, while they do whatever else they need to do.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One D&D - Where we're going, we don't need edition numbers.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

ritorix posted:

Seems like a big monk buff. Grapple with unarmed dex attacks which you get a lot of. No worrying about athletics or strength. No worrying about free hands when you can effectively kick. Only problem still is being a monk with crap defenses in melee.

Agreed, seems like a pretty good buff for monks. You have to worry a little about strength since it's what your grapple DC is based on, but the enemy passing their escape save doesn't matter since a monk can Grapple and Shove prone in one turn for free at level 1, so if they escape you can just Grapple on your next turn again while they're still prone. Those crap defenses aren't as crap when the enemy is locked down on the ground with Disadvantage on their attacks.

DalaranJ posted:

I don't like the idea of gaining Inspiration randomly, but it certainly solves the problem of GMs refusing or forgetting to give Inspiration.

I love the Inspiration changes, getting it on a 20 plus humans automatically getting it on a long rest makes it much more of an actual thing in the game rather than just a forgotten box on your character sheet that the DM forgets about half the time.

And speaking of Long Rests, now if combat happens AT ALL during it, you have to start the 8 hours all over. That's a massive buff to random nighttime wilderness encounters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The changes to grapple also heavily change monsters. Many monsters have attacks that inflict grappled on the target, now you don’t have to take an action to escape.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

The changes to grapple also heavily change monsters. Many monsters have attacks that inflict grappled on the target, now you don’t have to take an action to escape.

Considering most of those are saving throws against a set DC, I'm not sure that will be true.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

Hey, long time no see.

My concern is things like a Musician in a band with Humans, for example. Two humans in a party of four with a level 5+ musician means an immediate overflow after every long rest. Which may seem like an edge case, but if you're already hitting situations where you're losing heritage bonuses in the first document...

Yeah same.

That’s understandable, though a tiny bit of Overflow does not bother me too much. You could make it so Inspiration has a higher cap, but then I think players will not use it cause they will want to save up a bunch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HellCopter posted:

Considering most of those are saving throws against a set DC, I'm not sure that will be true.

Most work similar to how it works with the new rules.

Take the giant crab for example. If it hits with it’s claws the target takes damage and is grappled with an escape DC of 11.

And here are the new grapple escape rules. “While Grappled, you can make a Dexterity or Strength saving throw against the grapple’s escape DC at the end of each of your turns, ending the Condition on yourself on a success. The Condition also ends if the grappler is Incapacitated or if something moves you outside the grapple’s range without using your Speed.”

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah the goal definitely seems to be discouraging hoarding. I think that's a good goal, but tricky to find the psychological sweet spot.