Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

What Is This?

Project Ember is a graphical and mechanical overhaul romhack of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (the one with Roy in it) by the user Brunhilda on FE Universe. (Be warned that there are some mild spoilers in that link if you want to go into the LP completely blind.) While it could technically be considered a difficulty hack, in the sense that all of the changes are designed with the original game's hard mode in mind, in practice it's, if not necessarily easier, certainly a less frustrating experience than vanilla FE6 on hard. Hit rates have been increased across the board, and there are no more unusably bad units. Enemies are more dangerous in a vacuum, but you also have a lot more tools to deal with them.

There's also a separate patch for an extra hard maniac difficulty, as well as several wild and wacky alternate modes. With any luck I might even get to show some of them off! Ideally the plan is to finish three playthroughs in total by the end of the LP, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Spoilers?

This LP is generally going to assume that the reader is already familiar with base FE6. While for various reasons I intend to cover the story more or less in full, everything about the original game, plot or gameplay, is fair game to discuss. Sophia sucks, Perceval is OP, Roy will eventually acquire the titular Binding Blade and, in the best ending, use it to restore the Demon Dragon's soul.

As for the hack itself, talking about its overall design ethos is fine, but I ask that you refrain from discussing any specific changes the hack makes until they come up in the LP. For example: "I like how a lot of the underappreciated characters have new Prfs to give them a fun niche" is OK, "Character X's Prf is so cool! it does Y" is not.

Audience Participation?

That's the plan! It's maybe a bit of a Fire Emblem LP cliche at this point, but now that the entire cast is viable, it would be a shame if I didn't let you, the viewers, decide which of our new and improved friends we bring with us into battle. That's actually one of the reasons I still want to cover the story; having plot updates gives me a decent excuse to hold deployment votes without completely wrecking the pacing of the LP.

Also, there might be a super secret vote happening even before we get to chapters that have a prep screen. :ssh:

Is Roy our boy?

You bet your rear end he is.

Table Of Contents

Chapter 1: These Boots Were Made For Seizing
Chapter 2: The Hero Crest's Journey
Chapter 3: Chad Ember VS. The Virgin IntSys
Chapter 4: The One With Floyd In It
Chapter 5: I Gant Believe It's Not Silver
Chapter 6: Your Princess Is In Another (Room In The) Castle Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 7: How To Make Ostia Not Suck, Act I: On Green Units Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 8: How To Make Ostia Not Suck, Act II: On Spirals Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 8x: A More Durable Durandal Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 9: Choose Your Own Island Adventure Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 10B: 100% Daily Value Of Zinque Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
Chapter 11B: When All You Have Is A Hammer... Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 12: Ein, Drache Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 12x: Insert Joke About Our Mods Here Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 13: Solar Flaer Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
Chapter 14: The Rude Sandstorm Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 14x: Forblaze? More Like Forbidden Island Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 15: Three Basic rear end Prepromotes Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 16: I'm Gonna Buy So Many Guiding Rings, You Guys Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
Chapter 16x: Project Ember 776 Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 17B: Uncharted Territory Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 18B: No More Nomads? No, More Nomads! Part 1 | Part 2
Chapter 19B: Lean Mean Kel-ling Machine Part 1

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Unit Stats (Current As Of: Chapter 19)(May Contain Spoilers)

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 8, 2024

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh poo poo, I've been transported back to 2002? I have so much to warn people about...

You know, I think this might be the first time I've actually watched this intro.

I'm fairly certain the old translation patch didn't touch this, and I haven't played vanilla FE6 since the new one was released.

And I've definitely just skipped past it every other time I've started up Project Ember. Reading it now, it's... honestly kinda weird?

Like, I know Binding Blade is just a remix of the first game in a lot of ways, but this genuinely feels like it's describing Shadow Dragon's backstory more than this game's.

It's a very... generous interpretation of the Scouring, and the idea of gods never really comes up in Elibe beyond whatever vague deity the church of St. Elimine worships. Heck, Elibe is one of the few settings in the series that doesn't characterize dragons themselves as gods!

And this doesn't make any sense at all. I guess it's meant to be sort of a meta thing, i.e. every iteration of the Fire Emblem across the series is actually the same entity?

Whatever, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

After that, we fade to black...

...followed by several flashes of lightning...

...before we get a very brief glimpse of Idunn that I was able to capture because I'm just that good, and definitely not because I paused the emulator and went through one frame at a time. I like this art a lot, actually. It's much more threatening looking than her goofy battle sprite.

It's the title screen! This time unblemished by my low effort graffiti.

While hard mode is the intended experience, from what I've heard normal mode is still entirely functional. I'm guessing the enemy setups are mostly unchanged from the base game, though, so it'd likely be a bit of a cakewalk.

Upon starting a new game, we're greeted with... another text crawl! Pretty sure I've never read this one before either.

A great war now known as the Scouring was fought for dominion of the land. Losses were tremendous for both sides, and in this war the very laws of nature itself were twisted and distorted, bringing chaos and unease...

Defeated and humbled, the dragons disappeared from the realm. Mankind then began to rebuild and repopulate their newly won land.

A millennium has passed since then...

Very bold of the game to just bluntly state that humans are the assholes here. I always thought that Jahn's endgame monologue mostly just ended up making the dragons look worse than they did to start with, but knowing now that the game straight up opens by telling you that humans were the aggressors, dragon war crimes are literally the only new revelations that he has to offer, at least to the player.

culture and civilization to the farthest reaches of the continent.

FE6, in all its extravagance, has seen fit to have not one, not two, but three intro narrations. Honestly you could probably cut the first two and let all of that stuff come up organically in game without losing much.

possess the most refined culture in all of Elibe.

is located on the other side of the continent in the east.

These are the two most powerful nations in Elibe with the weaker nations situated between them. These smaller lands are...

by a number of marquesses that are bound by a vow of allegiance;

become mercenaries to earn money and survive;

Poor Sacae only gets a single text box. :(

Although there were occasional clashes between these nations, the majority of the people of Elibe lived in peace. That peace, however, was not to last...

Now, Bern is mounting a merciless invasion into Lycia.

Pherae's Lord Roy was in Ostia, Lycia's largest territory, when the invasion began.

has sent for Roy to return to lead Pherae's soldiers in defending against Bern.

At the same time Eliwood sent for Roy,

who is Marquess Ostia's long-time friend and confidant.

Look alive, people, the game is starting for real now.

We open on the exterior of Castle Pherae.

Oh no! Bandits Fighters and an archer!

: They've all hidden themselves inside the castle!

: Hee hee hee... You were right when you said there wouldn't be many soldiers. They're all getting ready to defend against Bern!

: Of course I was right. I'm always right, you fool. But reinforcements could be here any minute.

: All right, you curs, listen up! Kill everyone in the castle while we still got time! Then we can waltz outta here with all the loot!

Okay, so they do have one(1) bandit.

: Let's go ransack the villages and take everything they got!

And so he does. RIP all those people, I guess. Meanwhile, inside the castle...

: We're under attack by bandits from Mount Bolm!

: Blast it! Were I not in this pitiful state, I would take care of them all myself...!

Everyone likes to give Eliwood poo poo for this line because of how mediocre he is in his own game, but FE6 Eliwood is a promoted unit and everything. I think he'd be fine. Marcus could certainly solo this map if I let him.

Also, how the heck are ellipsis and an exclamation point at the same time supposed to work?

: Lilina, you must hide yourself. This castle is going to become a war zone.

I like the little hop forward Lilina does here, she's so determined not to just sit idly by.

: Don't be absurd. I couldn't face Hector if something happened to you in my own castle.

: My father? But...

: It's going to be all right. Roy should be here any moment, so we just need to hold our own until then. He'll drive off these dastards.

Did you know that there are people in this world who think Fire Emblem's love of the word dastard is "bad" or "cringe"? Can you even imagine?

: Send a messenger to Roy to let him know the current situation! We need his help!

: Y-yes, Milord!

Suddenly, even more dudes appear!

Including our dudes.

Hark! A lone rider approaches!

: Why are you in such a hurry?

: Lord Roy! Bandits have appeared and are attacking the castle as we speak!

: He's inside, defending against the bandits' attack. But I don't know how long he can last with his illness...!

There it is again...!

: You must be a knight of Ostia. Lady Lilina is in the castle. She should be all right. She's with Lord Eliwood after all, but he can't last forever.

You know, Lance probably ranks pretty high among FE6 characters as far as amount of dialogue goes just on the back of this intro cutscene. He's had more lines than Roy so far!

: I shouldn't have let Lilina go to the castle before me.

: Yes, you're right. This is no time to despair.

By the way, if these portraits look a little different to you, it's because they are! Virtually every battle sprite and portrait in the game has had tweaks made to its color palette, and many have had other adjustments made as well. A few characters even have brand new portraits entirely! Conveniently, the hack download includes a folder with all the new assets, so making talking heads was really easy! No need to crop screenshots or extract them from the rom myself.

: Our target is the castle! We must rescue everyone!

This was supposed to be the player phase banner popping up, but uh, obviously I didn't do a very good job. If you look closely at the top right, you can just barely see the spinny squares finishing their fadeout. But anyway, gameplay! First things first: Most of the map palettes have also been changed. Here's a side by side comparison for reference (vanilla is on the right):

But that's not really why we're here, is it? So let's take a look at our ragtag band of heroes:

pre:
Growths: PE  OG

HP       85  80
Str      55  40
Skl      50  50
Spd      60  40
Lck      60  60
Def      30  25
Res      30  30
Let's go ahead and start with the elephant in the room: As the thread title might suggest, this Roy has two extra move. Besides the obvious universal benefits, this is particularly nice for Roy because A) as the lord, it helps him get to seize points more quickly, and B) our boy here is a bit of a glass cannon. While he's received considerable boosts to his offenses, his bulk is as shaky as ever. His HP growth is admittedly pretty solid, and once it kicks in he can sometimes be relied upon to take two hits, but right now he can barely handle one. As such, having that extra move makes it a lot easier for him to hang out safely behind the front lines while still being in range to snag a kill on player phase. It's also worth noting that having equivalent movement to a mounted unit, though without canto, changes which of his support partners are a more natural fit for him.

As far as his other changes go, Roy has always had a relatively high resistance growth for the game he's in, and now that he has a real base stat to go with it, he's actually reasonably OK at tanking mages for a physical unit. The extra sword rank is kinda whatever, he'll be hitting A rank long before he really needs it anyway, but starting with an iron sword is nice for not having to waste rapier uses on these early enemies. The rapier itself has also seen some improvements, but we'll get to that in a bit.

pre:

HP       65  60
Str      30  25
Skl      50  20
Spd      30  25
Lck      30  20
Def      20  15
Res      40  20
Okay, so Marcus's growths still aren't exactly good, but they're significantly improved from what they were. Honestly they wouldn't look that out of place on a regular unit in the base game. Fun fact: the first level he got in my original run was almost perfect, and I hadn't looked at any of the hack's documentation yet, so I thought maybe they actually had given him insane growths for if you want to put in the effort to level him up. His base stats are mostly unchanged, and we've actually got our first nerf in his base skill. Given that he won't be leveling up much anyway, he'll still tend to fall off around when you get to the Western Isles, but if you really want to keep using him long term there's nothing stopping you. Also take note that paladins have lost their axe rank. I wonder what that could be about...

pre:

HP       85  85
Str      60  45
Skl      40  40
Spd      45  45
Lck      35  40
Def      30  25
Res      15  10

pre:

HP       75  80
Str      40  40
Skl      60  45
Spd      60  50
Lck      20  35
Def      20  20
Res      20  15
The Christmas cavs have both received a level bump, with extra bases to match. (This will rapidly become a recurring theme.) Other than that, their boosts are fairly modest, and have mostly gone towards making them more distinct from each other. Alen even swapped his weapon ranks around and upgraded his sword, which makes so much sense that I was genuinely surprised to see that it actually was a change from vanilla. Alen gets the slightly better end of the deal here imo, if only because dealing with Lance's crappy luck will get rather annoying once enemies start having appreciable crit rates, but they're both still solid units.

Those with a keen eye will have noticed their new class name, which kind of gives the game away re: the mystery of the missing axe rank. Yes, there are now two separate cavalier class lines, though it'll be a bit before we see the other one. (Spoilers, they have axes.)

pre:

HP       90  90
Str      50  30
Skl      45  30
Spd      40  40
Lck      45  50
Def      35  35
Res      20  10
Knights have undergone a significant revamp. To start with, they're now at movement parity with other infantry units. It's a change nearly everyone makes when trying to rebalance GBA Fire Emblem, so no surprises there. In addition, each of the playable unpromoted knights has a different secondary weapon to increase their versatility. Bors here gets swords, which are a natural choice to make him more useful in the early game with all the axes running around. Bors himself still has his weirdly un-knightlike growth profile, albeit with better offenses. Hell, he's even relatively less tanky than his vanilla self, considering he's only gained one point of defense from his five level boost. All the other changes make him so much easier to use, though, that it barely matters, and he'll be taking hits like a champ throughout these early chapters.

pre:

HP       90  80
Str      45  40
Skl      65  50
Spd      45  40
Lck      45  40
Def      25  20
Res      15  10
Wow, Wolt has real person stats now! He's also the only non-Marcus unit so far with improvements to all of their growth rates, though they're all pretty minor except for skill. Just goes to show how important bases are to unit performance. Oh, bows also have 3 range by default. I know this can be a contentious change; personally I don't have a problem with it, but a lot of people don't like the knock-on effects it has on map and enemy setups that weren't originally designed with it in mind. Archers have several other new toys to play with as well, but we won't be seeing them for a while yet, so unfortunately I can't really give Wolt a totally fair assessment right now. He's fine, though.

Last thing before we get started, a quick comparison of weapon stats:

(Please ignore the random Shanna)
Hit boosts all around, as you can see, especially on the lances, though the javelin is weaker to compensate. Gone are the days of whiffing against bosses for turns on end. Roy's rapier also has two more might, which becomes a respectable six extra damage against its intended targets. Now then, to battle!

That extra move is paying dividends already. Roy and Bors can now both reach the enemy on turn one.

We'll go ahead and have Bors start things off. Thanks to his steel axe weighing him down, this fighter sometimes spawns with low enough speed that Bors can double and ORKO him, but alas, it was not to be this time around.

First blood! And a dodge for good measure.

You can see here how careful we have to be with Roy; one stray hit would put him dangerously low on HP. Not that this fighter will get the chance.

Wolt and Alen tag team the other enemy that's in range.

Ooh, right in the face!

Lance is going to stand right here to both protect Roy's flank and lure over that mercenary in the corner.

He'd actually be pretty scary in the base game, capable of doubling nearly our entire army. Now, though, he can only manage it against Bors and Alen, and Bors wouldn't even take any damage with his lance equipped.

Might as well visit the house while we're here, too. This man is here to remind us about the harsh truths of our capitalist hellscape.

: If you don't have any, you won't be able to replace your broken weapons! And you can't fight without weapons!

Sadly, it would be ten more games before the lost art of punching your enemies was rediscovered.

It looks a little silly, but thanks to the forest blocking the enemies' path, Wolt is just as safe this way as if I had plugged up the chokepoint properly. As a bonus, this spot puts Marcus just within range to pull down the archer at the top.

At the start of the enemy phase, the boss moves onto the gate.

: But they'll have to go through me to get into the castle!

I assume this dialogue is automatic, but I suppose it's possible that it only triggers if you've already engaged in combat. Has anyone ever tried just huddling in the corner instead?

Well... at least you can see the words this time?

Roy kicks things off with some good old fashioned axe magnetism. Lance, on the other hand, has no respect for tradition.

I'm pretty sure those enemies could have ganged up on Lance and killed him if they had all hit, but apparently Roy is just too enticing a target.

The archer and remaining fighter both go after Marcus, and here we see another change; surviving a round of combat without attacking gives you three experience instead of just one. Good news for insane people who want to try to level up Merlinus, I guess.

Next turn, our first order of business is to get rid of this mercenary. Unfortunately, he's annoyingly hard to finish off, and I'd rather not have to dedicate two of my guys to him.

Seems like as good an excuse as any to break out the silver lance. Amusingly, Marcus got just as much exp from not attacking as he did from getting this kill.

There's a lot of enemies waiting up north, so I have to be careful who I leave in range. That brigand is particularly worrisome.

Here's how he compares to all the fighters on the map. At higher levels the lower skill might be relevant, but as is he's basically just stronger and faster with no drawbacks.

Marcus is otherwise occupied, and Bors is the only other one I trust not to eat poo poo. Everyone wish him luck!

Wolt finishes the archer off, but takes a hit in the process.

Unfortunately, nobody can ORKO the hand axe fighter, so I'm going to have to leave him alive another turn. This is awkward, because Roy can't afford to take another hit right now. Using the javelin here would let me put up enough of a defensive wall that Roy could dispatch his fighter safely, freeing up Alen to start chipping away at Hand Axe Guy. I don't really feel like gambling on hitting two 70s, though.

No, I'll just have both cavs finish them off instead, giving Roy a chance to heal.

Here's the numbers Roy would be looking at, incidentally. Not an impossible dodge by any means, but I've taken that risk before and gotten burned every time. Maybe if there was a forest he could attack from I'd have more confidence in him.

Speaking of which, that forest on the other side of Hand Axe Guy looks like a good spot to stand on while he heals, just out of range of the northern enemies. Vulneraries have been upgraded to 15 HP, so this takes Roy back up to full.

Bors exceeds my expectations, dodging the brigand's first attack as well as one of the fighters, leaving the last one with nowhere to attack from.

The only other action this enemy phase is Wolt getting beaten within an inch of his life. Walk it off, buddy!

Now that he's available, Marcus could ORKO Hand Axe guy, and I briefly consider having him do it. However, part of the reason I sent him all the way down to the bottom was because it left him well positioned to visit the village this turn, and ultimately I decide to stay the course.

That won't be until the end of the turn, though. For now, have Alen and Lance cleaning up Bors's mess.

Meanwhile, Bors continues to advance, pulling off yet another dodge!

The power of three range bows in action: vanilla Wolt wouldn't be able to get his revenge on Hand Axe Guy without risking death on the counterattack. Granted, vanilla Wolt would also be plinking him for single digit damage, once, but still.

That leaves Roy to go in for the kill. Rest in peace, Hand Axe Guy, you got to initiate combat twice.

Now for that village visit I promised you.

: I know this isn't much... But please accept this money on behalf of all of us. Use it well!

It's a good thing that other guy told us money was important, otherwise I'd have no idea what to do with this! Oh, and canto works the same as normal, in case you were wondering.

The most notable thing to happen on enemy phase is that Bors finally took another hit. Also Lance counterkilled a guy, I guess.

The enemies on screen now are all that's left. The end is in sight!

Everyone in range would have to hit, but Bors is at least theoretically in danger of dying now and heals up accordingly.

As for the dude he left behind, I really wanted Roy to get this kill, but he comes up just short.

Nobody else can help whittle the enemy down for him, either, and I end up giving it to Alen.

Everyone else moves up, with Wolt taking the opportunity to heal.

Now that he's got some time to kill, Marcus is going to visit the rest of these houses.

: If you wanna do well in battle you'd better use terrain wisely. For example, if you're in a forest the trees will cover you! That'll teach your enemies who they're dealing with.

Imagining going up to the most senior knight in Pherae, with multiple campaigns under his belt, and explaining basic combat facts to him like he's a child playing their first strategy game.

The results of enemy phase. Roy's half dead again, and Bors finally found a fighter he can double. Sadly, he had too much HP to pull off the ORKO.

Ideally I'd like to clear out everyone except the boss this turn, but that's probably not gonna happen. Speaking of, now that we're close enough to engage, let's take a closer look:

Damas isn't really that much scarier than his underlings, mostly he's just going to take longer to kill.

Thanks to the ruins of the village getting in the way, it's actually completely safe for Wolt to stand here and finish this guy off.

Here's where things get tricky. I'd still like to get Roy a kill here, because he's pretty close to leveling up. As mentioned, though, he's half dead already, so his only real option for a safe kill is the fighter off to the right. This would be fine if I had planned my positioning better, but the only spot he can reach right now to attack from is the forest that Lance is standing in. Lance, likewise, is one space too far away to engage the archer at melee range.

I could have him throw his javelin, but that seems like a bad idea if I want him to not die.

Roy moves in for the kill, and you know what that means...

First level of the LP! It's a very Roy level.

Bors and Alen team up to take out the archer, and Alen levels up too!

In comparison, this is a very un-Alen level. I won't complain about speed though.

Last house!

: Soldiers from Bern have crossed the border... They laid an awful attack. And even if the allied lords strike back, Lord Eliwood... He can't even stand anymore...

This feels off relative to Lance's report at the start of the chapter, which seemed to imply that Eliwood could hold his own for at least a little while. There's a few possible explanations for the discrepancy, but my favorite idea is that Eliwood is planning to pull a Princess Bride and bluff his way through any confrontation if the bandits manage to get inside.

Thanks to the power of canto, Marcus is already basically caught up with the rest of the army.

One of these days I will get the timing right for this, but it's not today. Poor Bors is getting sucked into the void!

Both remaining enemies are going to go for Lance. The archer's up first, but the joke's on him, because...

Lance was exactly three experience away from leveling up! Trap sprung! Honestly, this level is better than it looks, considering how much of a problem area luck is for him.

I'd like to think that extra point of luck is what saved him from death here. :sweatdrop:

Wolt finishes off the fighter with style and a farewell wave, putting him agonizingly close to leveling up. I'll have him take a potshot at the boss later.

Now that all the axes are gone, I can finally have Alen start training up his lance rank.

For some reason I decide it's a good idea to check this too? I think my thought process was that it'd be nice to get him up to C sooner than later, and there'd be plenty of opportunities to raise his sword rank as it is, but honestly there's really only one more early chapter in FE6 that's super axe heavy.

At any rate, I think better of it and have him just take the kill instead.

Here's how Bors fares against Damas. Obviously I don't actually pull the trigger on this, but he is going to stand here to get attacked on enemy phase.

Everyone's huddled up in a nice little ball now. Gotta start racking up those support points!

...You know what? I'll take it. Probably about as good as it's going to get.

: You can't take down a few pathetic knights?!

I'll give him this, he did a better job of hitting Bors than most of his underlings.

My general philosophy wrt boss abuse is that I try not to be too egregious about it, but will usually top off people who are close to leveling if I can. I wouldn't really call this boss abuse, though; that was a genuinely useful amount of chip!

Strength AND speed? Wolt, you're spoiling me.

I thought about having Bors heal again and go a few more rounds to hopefully level up, but I think Damas would have died first unless I deliberately stalled a few extra turns, and that did feel too egregious. I could have just given him the boss kill, of course, but I kind of wanted Marcus to get it just in case we end up trying to invest in him.

The only problem, at least if I want to finish on this turn, is that Marcus can't actually pull off the kill, and everyone else either does pull it off or risks dying themselves.

This is when I remember trading exists. Alen hands Marcus his steel sword, and now the damage numbers work out!

Wait, Marcus, what are you-

So of course Marcus decides to make all that careful planning irrelevant and crit Damas to death instead.

He is! :allears: You may have noticed that Marcus was actually the only unit to have a crit rate all chapter. That's because the formula has been changed to skill-10, which helps cut down on stray crits from early game enemies while also making high skill more impactful late game. It can't go negative, though, so if Roy had ever attacked with his rapier he still would have displayed its full 10 crit.

Huh... that wasn't as much exp as I was really hoping for. The only Jeigan I've deliberately fed bosskills to before was Titania, so that's probably distorting my perception of its value a bit. I think PoR's experience formula gives you a flat 30 exp bonus on bosskills no matter what.

Oh well, lessons learned, time to seize.

: I'm so glad to see you both! Thank goodness you're unharmed.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason it feels weird to me that Lilina moves offscreen here. She's definitely still in the room.

: Of course, Father. How is your health?

: Well enough. I've some life in me yet. But Roy, do you know why I called you back here?

: I'm to take over your role by leading the soldiers of Pherae. We must join the rest of the Lycian Army to defend our people.

I don't think I agree with the decision to capitalize army in this context. It evokes a sense of formal military organization that doesn't quite ring true to the political reality in Lycia, imo.

: Exactly. As you know, Bern has commenced an invasion of Lycia. We are honorbound to follow the ancient vows of our allegiance. Lycia needs every lord's army, and we must oblige.

: Of course.

: I'm truly sorry to interrupt your studies and force you into this war, but I'm not well... I'm in no condition to lead an army.

: Father...

See? She clearly heard that whole conversation.

: My father leads Lycia's largest army. And I'm certain my magic will be of help to Roy...'

: No, Lilina. You must return to Ostia.

Roy disappearing doesn't bother me nearly as much, though? Maybe it's because Lilina switched sides at the same time.

: With Hector preparing for battle, there is no one sitting on the throne of Ostia. It must be an uneasy feeling for the people not to have a sitting lord. As the daughter of the marquess, you must take the throne until Hector returns. That will put the people at ease. Do you have any objections?

: ...No, my lord.

: You are to meet them at the border to Bern. Merlinus will accompany you. He is knowledgable and experienced and should be of great help.

Merlinus is strong and real and my friend. :colbert:

: Thank you for everything, Father.

: Don't worry, my son. I have absolute faith in you! Fight bravely, and show everyone who the next marquess of Pherae is!

: Yes, Father!

I think this is supposed to be a different room now, but I'm not certain.

: You needn't ask, milady. I will accompany Lord Roy in his travels and protect him with my very life.

: Thank you, Bors.

: I will. You too, Lilina.

Next time: The monomyth.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
more fire emblem!

more!

:getin:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I interpret the ellipses with the exclamation marks as the speaker kind off trailing off, staring into the distance while thinking about what they just said, and then jerking as if startled as the true implications of what they said dawns on them.

We can never have too much Fire Emblem.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I wish that one day we'd get a popular FE3 LP.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yay, more FE! Always can use more FE. Also I've been interested in this one for a while now because it comes up a lot in the FE thread so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes in the game. As it is, I really like the new colour palette.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Delphisage posted:

I wish that one day we'd get a popular FE3 LP.

Huh, I remember we had a big one, but it looks like it never hit the archive. I remember we put a bunch of growth boosters on the dancer and made them not terrible in combat.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

Huh, I remember we had a big one, but it looks like it never hit the archive. I remember we put a bunch of growth boosters on the dancer and made them not terrible in combat.

It was 12 pages long, so not actually big. Big would be if it was at least the size of Artix's FE7 playthrough or Tae's FE14 playthrough.

Also Feena is already a good fighter thanks to her Lady Sword and Rapier access, she doesn't need more buffs unless you're trying to meme with "LOL wouldn't it be funny if a non-combat class in GBA was actually superstrong". I found Matthis ending up a full-time unit to be a funnier development.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 2, 2022

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh hey, I'm playing this now!

I don't know if they raised Lillina's growths or if she's just determined to solo the entire game, but she's maxed drat near every stat and is easily my MVP.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i've heard this plays very, very differently from vanilla FE6 (to various people's chagrin or joy), and am interested to see where this ride goes

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Always been curious about this hack. Glad to see a LP of it pop up.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've been curious about this one for a while now too, but never got around to trying it. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yay, more FE! Always can use more FE. Also I've been interested in this one for a while now because it comes up a lot in the FE thread so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes in the game. As it is, I really like the new colour palette.

It's definitely not the main event, but the palettes are really nice, yeah. Apparently the goal was to more closely match the official character artwork. It's subtle enough when you're just playing the hack that you hardly notice, so I was surprised putting them side by side just how different they really were. I never knew how much I hated Roy's hair before!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i've heard this plays very, very differently from vanilla FE6 (to various people's chagrin or joy), and am interested to see where this ride goes

It's not for everyone, I'll admit. Supposedly the overall feel of combat is modeled after New Mystery, but it's been long enough since I've played 12 that I can't really speak to how well it achieved that.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I've just picked this up. Got past the first map with a couple of nail-biting 50% survival chances, turns out those 3-space archer ranges make them a very different kind of threat than they were before.

I'm...gonna have to really slow down to make it through this game, aren't I.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

The super bright colour palette was a thing a lit of early GBA games had since they needed to be visible on the incredibly dark original GBA screen. That generally got better once the GBA SP came out and you could actually see what you were playing without a floodlight pointed at your screen. :v:

Also they really changed Bors sprite, I curious to see if they did that for all Knights since I love the goofy chest shield that this era of FE Knights have. :allears:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just uploaded the chapter 2 screenshots, here's a sneak peek:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey
That could be from almost any map

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Just uploaded the chapter 2 screenshots, here's a sneak peek:

Do we have a new Fir already?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh ho nice!! i'm still only a few chapters in myself :)

do you know if the battle backgrounds (when they're turned on) are any different from og 6?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

It's not for everyone, I'll admit. Supposedly the overall feel of combat is modeled after New Mystery, but it's been long enough since I've played 12 that I can't really speak to how well it achieved that.

the detractor i heard said something like, "this plays so differently from vanilla FE6 that i genuinely don't even know what the romhacked liked about the game. the character designs?"

and there's like 25 more chapters to find out what he meant!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Booky posted:

oh ho nice!! i'm still only a few chapters in myself :)

do you know if the battle backgrounds (when they're turned on) are any different from og 6?

iirc there are some new backgrounds for cutscenes and such, but I don't know offhand if that includes any of the battle backgrounds.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Needs a "<== TO BE CONTINUED".

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'm really enjoying all the sprite work in this hack. I'm possibly one of the few who was never really a fan of the Knight sprites and their weird breastshieldplate thing. I've never really played the FE6 before, so I'm somewhat tempted to give it a try with this hack and see how that plays out...

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm really loving the color shift in this hack. It gives the art a lot more depth to it.

I don't think it's bad, but I do think it's kind of weird that they gave Lance blue armor though. Like where'd that come from?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh heck yeah, while I acknowledge that FE6 has problems it's still a dark horse favorite of my FE titles, and there are plenty of characters I like (my love for Nino results in me always at least trying to use both Lugh and Raigh, Gonzales almost always ends up as my endgame axe guy, I've had way more luck with my Ogiers than my Diecks for some reason, Clarine and Rutger end up as a great tag-team on like 80% of my runs, and I always end up with either Meledy or Zeiss as one of my endgame fliers).

Here's hoping those characters get some good stuff.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

Junpei posted:

Oh heck yeah, while I acknowledge that FE6 has problems it's still a dark horse favorite of my FE titles, and there are plenty of characters I like (my love for Nino results in me always at least trying to use both Lugh and Raigh, Gonzales almost always ends up as my endgame axe guy, I've had way more luck with my Ogiers than my Diecks for some reason, Clarine and Rutger end up as a great tag-team on like 80% of my runs, and I always end up with either Meledy or Zeiss as one of my endgame fliers).

Here's hoping those characters get some good stuff.

Agreed! I think FE6 is actually my favorite of the GBA FEs, although I couldn't say why, because it is certainly very flawed. I'm not really a huge fan of FE7 and I couldn't finish FE8.

I'm a mage fanatic and FE6 hurls mages and healers at you hand over fist, so I was basically rocking all of the tome users. Yes, I even trained Sophia. No, it wasn't worth it, but I really like her design so I did it anyway.

I think my favorite character in FE6 is Nimue (or however they're spelling her name now). More old ladies in Fire Emblem plz, kthnxbai

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Luninareph posted:

I'm a mage fanatic and FE6 hurls mages and healers at you hand over fist, so I was basically rocking all of the tome users. Yes, I even trained Sophia. No, it wasn't worth it, but I really like her design so I did it anyway.

Every time I play a GBA emblem, I pretty much try to use almost every mage possible. Depending on the run, Sophia or Ewan may stay behind, but I usually end up with multiple book throwers. Hell, I think it just applies for me with every FE game I've played in some regard, I just like the power of hitting a lower defense number at range.

Do have to agree with the audience, the palette change is good stuff. The old, bright look was good for classic GBAs but toning it back and tweaking some values really pops it on a PC monitor.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I look forward to seeing how THE CHIN fares this LP.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
A handful of chapters in and I can already point to one huge difference the range-3 bows make: static turtling is now a lot more difficult. With the enemy battlegroups often having a combination of weapons at all three ranges, the defensive-line-at-chokepoint tactic is a lot harder to sustain given how much pressure the AI can put on a single unit.

Mobile defenses, on the other hand, actually work pretty well, where you give ground before the enemy advance, then overwhelm them from several directions to eliminate the most dangerous targets before they can focus down your units.

bibliosabreur fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 6, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Okay but why though? Like, obviously it has to happen this way or there'll be no plot, but setting the rendezvous point so close to enemy territory seems like a huge unnecessary risk.

At the time Roy reaches the village, the castle is in an outright panic. Roy has yet to realize that this confusion going on in the castle will spread, engulfing the entire continent of Elibe in chaos...

I feel like Guinivere is severely underutilized in the story. She's basically just a pair of hands to deliver the Fire Emblem to Roy when it comes down to it.

Don't mind us, just gonna step outside of this castle to have a conversation, you know, as you do.

: Y-yes, Captain Melady... I'm certain she was in her room this morning, but she simply vanished...

: I don't want excuses! Are you so incompetent you can't understand that?!

Lol, this guy is so hosed.

: Our forces are mobilizing to begin a full-scale war with Lycia. How are we to focus on the battle if the princess is missing?! Naturally, you will take full responsibility for her disappearance.

: ......

: I never should have let Her Highness come to the border to begin with. I will return to Bern and inform the king of this matter. I'll try not to cause a panic, but I can't promise your life if the princess isn't found. I trust you'll take every measure to locate her as soon as possible.

: Yes, Captain!

No, Melady, come back! You should stay and join our army, I'm sure it would be totally fair and balanced.

Wait, he was telling lies? I'm shocked. :geno:

: Yes, Commander. She's under constant surveillance in the cellar.

: Good. Don't let her escape.

: But Commander... Are you sure this is a good idea?

: Of course I'm sure! The younger sister of King Zephiel... We're sure to get a hefty sum turning her over to one of Bern's enemies.

Actually... maybe Roy doesn't need to be here for the plot to happen. Ruud's whole plan is to ransom Guinivere off to a Lycian lord, which is exactly where she ends up anyway, albeit under friendlier circumstances. Hell, if Ruud wasn't such an rear end in a top hat, maybe we wouldn't even need to fight him.

: ......

: Loyalty to one's king. Bah. What a worthless notion. The world is ruled by neither king nor queen. It's ruled by gold!

Ah, I see you've been talking to the man from the house in Chapter 1!

: Yes, indubitably, Commander. ...But there has been a snag, shall we say.

: Hm? What do you mean?

: I just received a report... It seems that Princess Guinivere's lady-in-waiting has escaped...

: What?! You lout, why didn't you say so earlier? Find her this instant! Don't let her get away!

That's... actually kind of a lot of enemies. Eh, we'll probably be fine.

: This is where we're supposed to meet the mercenaries?

: Yes, though it seems they aren't here yet.

: Wait, who's that? Somebody's coming this way...

: Oh, forgive me, I'm in such a hurry...

Wait, I've heard about these! This is one of those "meet cutes," isn't it?

: No need for apologies. Are you hurt?

: No, I'm fine. Thank you, good sir.

: Farewell, then.

: ...Are you from Lycia, by chance?

: I am. I am the son of Marquess Pherae.

: Oh, Saint Elimine! Thank you for guiding me to this boy!

Oh, so now he's a boy, instead of a good sir?

: Pardon?

: What happened?

: My name is Elen. I am a cleric of Saint Elimine. My mistress and I came from Bern to seek an audience with the lords of Lycia. However, Commander Ruud of the castle east of here trapped us. We were captured, imprisoned by our own countrymen.

That does sound pretty rude, but what's his name? :v:

: We must avoid unnecessary entanglements with Bern!

Again, maybe you should have thought about that before agreeing to meet right next to the border.

: But we can't neglect a noble of Bern who wants to speak with the lords of Lycia. ...Then again, we can't simply charge into enemy territory either...

: Wait, who's there?!

: Over here, boys! Get the girl! Our orders say dead or alive!

Well poo poo.

: You wouldn't listen even if we did, I'm sure. But no matter. Let me witness all you've learned about tactics in Ostia.

: All right, everyone! We're going to charge the castle! Sister Elen, you should find a place to hide...

: I cannot fight, but I can heal wounded allies.

: But...

: I'm the one that got you tangled up in this mess. Please let me do what I can to help.

: OK, but just stay behind us so you aren't hurt.

Sound advice, as we'll see in a moment.

: Certainly. Thank you for the concern.

So, we've got three main groups of enemies to worry about.

There's a wave of soldiers and fighters down here...

...a big formationless blob off to the right...

...and these two trying to sneak up on us from behind. The plan is to have Marcus cover Merlinus while he tours the village and have everyone else advance south. Dieck's crew are going to end up doing the lion's share of the work in the east once they show up, so our starting guys won't be seeing a whole lot of action this time around. Before all that though, we have two new units:

pre:

HP       50  45
Mag      80  50
Skl      30  30
Spd      30  20
Lck     105  70
Def      15   5
Res      70  60
Elen is a healer, she does healer things. Starting with an actual magic stat is nice and her growth is pretty chunky now too, but she's still at risk of getting one-shot by basically anything physical. Obviously not a problem if you just don't let her get hit in the first place, but I ended up benching her fairly early on my first time around. She also has our first instance of a growth rate over 100%. I wouldn't exactly say they're commonplace, but they do pop up now and again rather than being the sole domain of gimmick units.

pre:

HP      200 100
Str       0   0
Skl      50  50
Spd      60  50
Lck     150 100
Def      40  20
Res      20   5
You know, Merlinus would actually make an OK tank now if there was a reasonable way to level him up. The extra point of move is handy, but the more interesting change is that he's no longer using the mounted aid formula, so while he still can't be rescued, he can rescue literally anyone else. I haven't actually tested it out, but afaik he's still immortal, too. Put together, that means you can effectively use Merlinus as a once per map get out of jail free card. Is it enough to make him worth bringing along on maps where you don't otherwise require his services? I dunno, maybe. I'm willing to at least give you guys the option, though.

Now back to the map. I'd like Marcus to be finished up here sooner than later, so he breaks out the silver lance again to soften up this mercenary.

Okay, so I kinda lied when I said that everyone else was going to head south. Alen here would like his steel sword back. Why didn't I do this before moving Marcus, you ask?

Because I also wanted to shuffle his inventory around so that he has the iron sword equipped for enemy phase. I ran the numbers beforehand and this leaves Marcus with just enough attack to still finish off the merc on the counter. I'll warn you right now, convoluted trading shenanigans are probably my favorite thing about high level Fire Emblem play, so expect to see a lot of them going forward.

This did put Alen in range of that pegasus, but I'm not worried.

Some things haven't changed, and enemy peg knights having their threat neutered by the weight of their weapons is one of them.

Here's the vendor, just for posterity's sake. They only have vulneraries, and I don't buy any.

Instead, Merlinus visits this house.

: Remember, swords best axes, axes best lances, and lances best swords! Keep this in mind and things will be much easier for you!

This is as good a time as any to mention that the effects of the weapon triangle have been increased from 1 damage and 10 hit to 2 and 15, respectively.

Down south, these fighters are going to set the limit for how far I feel comfortable advancing.

Bors leads us off again. The positioning isn't great as far as setting him up to take hits, but this is the only soldier he can one-round.

Lance starts wearing in his javelin to help Roy take out another soldier. Now that I have a healer I can finally let Roy eat counters every once in a while!

Wolt takes a solid chunk out this one, and we have our defensive line, such as it is. It's not exactly pretty, but this does ensure that everyone is getting attacked at most once.

Incidentally, I could have had Elen plug up that hole if I really wanted to. This is the soldier that Wolt just attacked, and he's both the only enemy that can reach that space and the only one that doesn't OHKO her.

Sweet healing! The power of most staves has been unchanged, but they have had their experience gains adjusted. I don't remember to grab a screenshot until later, but a single use of heal now grants 16 exp.

Marcus is the only one to dodge an attack on enemy phase. What I wouldn't give for the enemies to move in a different order so that Roy was the one getting that lucky miss. :sigh:

The fighters move up, and the eastern blob does some weird shuffling around. Honestly I think there's something funky going on with their AI, this isn't the last confusing thing they'll do.

At the start of turn 2, help arrives!

: Sure!

: House Pherae, one of the noble families of Lycia. The marquess's son is going to join the other armies of the Lycian League.

: Looks that way.

Wait, I just realized: Shanna already knew who she was looking for, but Wade didn't have a clue. Does Dieck not bother to keep everyone in the loop, or is Wade just that slow on the uptake?

: But it looks like they're already caught up in a skirmish.

: What? The fighting's started already? Let's get a move on then. Time to earn our pay!

More units! More!

pre:

HP      105  90
Str      45  40
Skl      50  40
Spd      35  30
Lck      30  35
Def      30  20
Res      10  15
Dieck has opted to fully embrace his mini-Jeigan status. Starting at level 10 with a hero crest in his inventory, the intent here is clear. If you want, you can promote him immediately to turn your mini-Jeigan into a full size version. I wouldn't know how he performs in that role, though, because for the pre-3DS era I'm still the kind of player who always waits until 20 to promote. That said, I could be persuaded to make an exception just this once. Otherwise, notice how few stats he gained from his five level jump? Long term you can definitely feel the difference between him and all the sword infantry we'll recruit later on. He does have one unique selling point over them though: his Con stat is the highest of the bunch by a fairly significant margin. Dieck's only real competition on that front is Bors, if you really focus on his sword rank; you could do worse than to load him up with all the heavy swords that weigh everyone else down.

pre:

HP       65  45
Str      35  30
Skl      55  55
Spd      85  60
Lck      50  60
Def      15  10
Res      35  25

So yeah, a bunch of characters have Prfs now. In Shadow Dragon, the wing spear was powerful enough to make Caeda the second best unit in the game, can it do the same for Shanna here? Ehhh, not so much. At least in my opinion, Shanna is still probably worse than basically every other flier in the game. Her speed growth is way overkill and she's still incredibly prone to getting screwed on stats that she really needs. What the wing spear does do, though, is offer a nice bit of temporary RNG proofing. It keeps her combat just relevant enough that you can field even an underperforming Shanna for the flying utility without feeling like you're pulling teeth, for just long enough to power through until you can replace her with her sister. But who knows, maybe she'll actually turn out this run. Oh, and female mounted units aren't stuck with an arbitrarily worse aid formula anymore, so that's nice.

pre:

HP      110  75
Str      70  50
Skl      45  45
Spd      35  20
Lck      40  45
Def      30  30
Res      15   5
Wade has one job, and that's to hit things hard. Now that he can actually hit things consistently, he's a lot better at that job! Amusingly, his skill growth has always been pretty decent, it was his awful base and the terrible hit rates on axes that were holding him back. That hammer he's carrying has gone from 45 to 70 base hit, along with two extra might. Other axes haven't had quite that much of a glowup, but they're close. Couple that with guaranteed HP and a speed growth that doesn't doom him to get doubled by everything forever, and he can pull his weight when he needs to.

pre:

HP       75  80
Str      40  30
Skl      50  30
Spd      55  35
Lck      20  30
Def      55  40
Res      30  15
Lot has very balanced bases, and none of them are exceptional for the level he's at now, so he doesn't make that exciting of a first impression. However, he's our first character to really spec hard into bulk. His defense growth is by far the best we've seen so far, and his resistance isn't too shabby either. On top of that, he's got a solid speed growth that ensures he won't have to worry about getting doubled by the enemies he's trying to tank. That said, his HP is just OK, and he's another unit who suffers from low luck, though he can at least coast on his base a little longer than Lance can. Trust me when I say that enemies will eventually get dangerous enough that there's value in having someone that can shrug off multiple hits.

This is probably the last set of characters that I'm going to do full side-by-sides with their original versions for. The comparisons are going to get less and less relevant as the game goes on and the context they exist in continues to diverge, and there's only so many ways for me to say "yep, this character sure did gain a bunch of levels." Plus, just as a practical matter, I don't really want to do a full run of the vanilla game in parallel with this one just to get a bunch of stat screens. I'll still call out any particularly notable differences, but for the most part I'll be sticking to evaluating units in the context of the game we're actually playing.

With that out of the way, Marcus is going to finish thwarting the enemy's attempt to flank us.

I swear I don't know where he keeps pulling these sick dodges from.

Alen rides down to rejoin the rest of our forces, and Merlinus hits up the village.

: But some weapons, like this sword, can pierce their armor. I'm sure you can get better use out of it than us. Please, take it.

Handy, but not as crucial to finishing this chapter now that we've got other viable ways of dealing with the boss.

Down south, things are going... OK. I would've liked if either Lance or Bors could get this kill, freeing up Wolt to go after one of the fighters instead. I really need to get Lance a better, uh, lance.

I heal up Roy again and send him on the attack. He should be safe on the fort, right?

See, no problem!

Lance has just enough attack to finish him off. He even hits on the first try!

Bors is going to continue to not tank hits, because I am good at strategy.

He does level up, though!

Bors, no! I guess he used up his supply of luck dodging all those axes last chapter.

Switching over to Dieck and friends. You know how I said Shanna still wasn't very good? Yeah... she's not going to have much to do this chapter.

Instead, she's going to skillfully avoid any and all combat while flying north through the mountains to eventually ferry Marcus across. The hacking community figured out a while ago how to implement the danger area function from later games in GBA FE, and this hack makes use of it. It's sort of clunky to use, but it's better than nothing.

More than anything else so far, I think the weirdest feeling coming from vanilla FE6 is seeing Wade one-round an enemy while dodging.

Dieck takes up a defensive position on the other fort, and we end turn.

You see that grayed out fighter at the top of the screen? So, uh, he just moved north. I don't know either.

Wade is coming under heavy fire!

Yeah, nope, still weird.

Oh god oh gently caress there's still another fighter left to attack him I regret everything I-

Listen I swear Roy really is a good unit you guys.

Well.

Putting that little near catastrophe aside, who likes weapons?

No axes, unfortunately, so Wade and Lot will have to keep sharing the one hand axe. I buy a spare iron sword, enough javelins for everyone, and an iron lance for... Lance.

Specifically in that order, mind, so that the lance and one of the javelins get sent to storage.

Which means it's time for more sick trading action! Merlinus pulls them both out of storage...

...and hands everything off to Alen, who in turn can get them all into the hands of people who need them.

Time for some cleanup. Roy stays on the fort another turn to take advantage of the free healing.

He also levels up again! Not bad, not bad at all.

Wolt gets his wounds tended to, and you can see now that Elen is already halfway to a level.

Now that we've made room, Alen is ready to make his deliveries. But there's something I haven't told you yet.

That's right, you can now freely trade with everyone adjacent to you all in one turn. How's that for sick trading action?

Last enemy taken care of, and Marcus will be ready to get picked up next turn. It's all starting to come together.

Dieck comes just short of ORKOing this soldier, but luckily Wade can cover for him... is a sentence that has not once in the history of FE6 been uttered before.

All these dodges have been low key really important. There's no way we'd be able to extend past the forts this quickly without them.

Even unpromoted, Dieck is barely getting more experience per kill than Marcus right now.

I never said we'd be extending very far past the forts, though; these two will be our limit for the time being. A reaver weapon, in chapter 2? It's more likely than you think.

So I've clearly entered a bizarro universe where fighters and knights are somehow my most consistently evasive units.

Everyone gangs up on Wade again during enemy phase. If any one of those earlier misses had hit, he'd probably be dead right now!

Roy's almost back up to full already, that's nice.

: If you're in a fort, you can defend and even dodge more easily. On top of that, your wounds will heal slowly over time.

SEE YOU'D LIKE TO THINK THAT WOULDN'T YOU- ahem.

Healing for Alen, everyone advances, and the airdrop is in position.

With most of the soldiers gone now, Dieck can safely pull those two down from the corner.

Frustratingly, Wade could get a clean kill on this guy with the hand axe while staying out of danger, but with the way he and Lot are positioned, there's no way for Lot to give it to him while also finishing off the fighter.

So Wade will just have to do it himself. At least he got a level out of it.

Ew, I take it back. Apparently I'm allowed to have either dodges or good levels, not both.

If that's true, it doesn't bode well for Lot's long term success.

This guy really really wants to kill Wade, but just isn't making any progress. I can't even feel good about this one, he was perfectly safe and he's gonna get healed up before he sees more combat anyway.

Ha ha! Bet you wish you hadn't brought that reaver weapon now, jerk.

Things are starting to wind down now, and Merlinus is almost out of ways to kill time. I've surprised myself at how well I've been able to come up with vaguely relevant commentary about these tutorial houses, can I keep it going?

: But woe to any rider who finds herself against an archer. An arrow can take a pegasus down in a single hit!

Uhhh... uhhh... watch out for arrows?

Lot finally puts this poor man out of his misery.

Everyone's just kind of milling around at this point. Elen ekes out some more healing exp and Wade retreats onto the fort.

I suppose I could have had Dieck burn an elixir use here and lure the fighter over too, but meh. It's not like it would have made the map end any faster.

I guess I'll drop Marcus here? I don't want him so close that he pulls the fighter, and maybe after the archer comes for him, Marcus can soften him up enough for Shanna to see at least a little bit of combat. I also don't feel like having him take unnecessary hits from the boss.

Here's what he looks like, by the way. He remembered to pack a ranged attack at least, but otherwise he's not that threatening.

Just kidding! The archer decided not to move at all, Marcus must be too scary. The fighter stayed put too, for that matter, so literally all that happened on enemy phase was this mercenary-off.

Another heal puts Elen on the brink of leveling up.

Speaking of leveling up...

Nice, very nice! He even hit his luck growth again!

I know I said Ruud wasn't that scary, but he still 2HKOs Shanna. Not that it'd be safe for her to engage yet anyway, I was mostly just checking to see if it'd be feasible to feed her the bosskill when the time comes.

Now that Roy has finally caught up, he and Dieck can have a little chat.

: Who is it that's asking?

: Name's Dieck. You should've heard about me from an older man named Merlinus.

: So you're the leader of the mercenary band?

: Just a small company, really. Sorry we're late. Didn't think the fighting would start so soon.

: Well... There was a complication...

: Don't take it the wrong way. We don't blame you. Actually, quite the contrary. My boys are excited for a chance to show off their skills.

: Brilliant. It sounds like you're just the caliber of fighters we need.

: Enough chitchat then. Let's wrap things up.

Way ahead of you there, Dieck.

The end result of moving everyone up. Dieck's staying put so Elen can get to him next turn.

The fighter throws himself futilely against Alen, and the archer... still doesn't move. I seriously have no idea what's going on with the AI right now.

He's not hardcoded to be stationary, I can tell you that much. The danger zone indicator takes that into account.

Whatever. Here, have Elen gaining her first level instead.

Any Elen level that includes HP is a good one as far as I'm concerned, and this one has a bunch of other stats besides!

I don't really have any good options for weakening but not killing Ruud, so Shanna's going to have to do all the work herself if she wants the credit.

Before that though, we need to watch out for arrows. Marcus is almost halfway to a level by now, in case you were curious.

Now we just get Marcus out of the way, and we're good to go!

: Just when I thought things had finally turned my way...

Okay, well, a dodge would have been ideal just for the sake of my sanity, but I can work with this.

That's what, less than 5% chance of failure after true hit, plus I'd have to lose a coinflip afterwards? I'll take those odds!

Boy, I'd have looked pretty stupid if Shanna had died here, huh?

: Greed can only... bring you... an ill fate...

Not quite enough for a level, but she's close!

One more heal for the road and some last minute inventory shuffling, and we're ready to get out of here.

: There was a woman locked in the cellar!

: That must be Elen's mistress. Bring her here.

: Yes, milord.

: Elen! I'm so relieved you're well. You put yourself in such danger running off like you did... I worried myself sick about you.

: I am sorry, Your Highness, but I couldn't leave you in that dank cellar...

: Don't worry yourself, Elen. It's thanks to you I am safe now.

: I am Roy, son of Eliwood, Marquess Pherae.

: It's a pleasure... As for myself...

Elen, you've literally called her "Your Highness" three times already, I don't think you have room to speak about secrecy.

: Yes, Elen. It is fine.

: Guinivere?!

Metal Gear?! It even has the same cadence to it.

: That's the name of the princess of Bern!

: Yes, that is I.

: This was a trap, wasn't it?!

...How? A trap would be if there was no hostage at all and instead there were more soldiers waiting for you. You were expecting a Bernese noble and that's what you got. Knowing that she's the princess gives you more leverage, not her.

: Merlinus, hold.

Yeah, what he said!

: I beg your pardon, Lord Roy, but...

: I wish to hear her out. Give her a chance, will you?

: Tsk. As you will...

: Yes, truly. I cannot blame you for doubting me, however.

: Maybe you are the princess of Bern, and maybe you aren't. I can see from your actions and dress that you are at least of high status.

This isn't the first (or last) example of this, but I appreciate that the script repeatedly makes clear that though he is young and inexperienced, Roy is very well educated, particularly in the inner workings of the nobility.

: If you are indeed Princess Guinivere, however, there's one thing I don't understand. Elen told me you intended to meet the lords of the Lycian League.

: Yes, that is correct.

: Why, if you are the sister of the king of Bern?

: I want to find a peaceful way to end the war. If I can speak to the Lycian council, I'm certain we can come to a solution.

: Your brother instigated this war. Is it in your power to stop it?

: At the very least, I wish to do everything I can. No, I MUST do everything I can.

: ...I see. For the time being, come with us to meet the Lycian League armies. I want to see what Lord Hector thinks of this affair.

Um, about that...

: You will allow me to accompany you?

: Yes. If there is any possibility to avoid further bloodshed, we must try. It matters not how small the chance.

: Thank you! I truly am in your debt...

Next time: Hector saves the day and absolutely nothing tragic happens whatsoever.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Adventure is calling. Accept/Reject?

Should Dieck heed the call to adventure and become a true Hero? Or should he turn away for now and remain a mere Mercenary? Only you can decide! If it matters, Project Ember does add several more promotion items throughout the game, so we shouldn't be too limited by them once it's time for people to start promoting normally. You have until, uh, whenever I decide to play through Chapter 3 to cast your votes. Probably a few days, at least?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Accept, will assume you’ll get more mileage out of the promo gains sooner rather than later

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hell, it isn't like he's got any future with the massive nerf bat to the face that he took. He's got darn near the same stats for a 5 level boost. I say we let him have his time in the sun.

jeigan the hero

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
promoting before 20 is a sin

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Please don't go promoting Dieck at the first opportunity.

Weird, that enemy Pegasus Knight is a Wyvern Rider in Maniac Mode. I don't get why you'd need to lower the difficulty that much for Hard, it's still using stationary-until-enemy-in-range AI.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Don't promote, save the Hero Crest. A few more units use them now, I believe.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Save it for now. I'm not against promoting Dieck if he gets some good levels but...

theshim posted:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

theshim posted:

Not an emptyquote.

Just facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

theshim posted:

this. Don't do it!

I have also downloaded PE to play, excited to follow along.