Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
MONSTER ZOO
(Old thread can be found here )

Dungeons of Dredmor
is a pretty butt-ugly rogue like with simple graphics and surprisingly memorable music. In 2022, it is probably not that remarkable anymore in a genre which has become overcrowded. However, the mechanics are simple enough for a bonehead like me to understand, and the unserious presentation make it a pretty casual gateway into the genre (at least for people in 2011, im sure you can find friendlier titles eleven years later).

Here are two steam reviews that I find encapsulates my experience nicely:

quote:

I like Rogue Likes. I also Like NOT taking them very seriously.But then keep in mind, this is somebody who gleefully explored the "Tourist" skill path. If you like the idea of a character wearing flashy clothes, taking pictures of everything (Subsequently blinding them with the flash) and then proceeding to beat the monsters to death with a large bone obviously stolen from a museum display somewhere, even the slightest bit amusing... You have a good idea how silly this game can become. Never beaten it, because it's hard. But it's the kind of hard that makes you laugh your rear end off when you're annihilated by a random acid spewing trap for the fiftieth time.
If you are in the mood for chaos at its most FUN, play this. You will get to know patterns, but every once in a while, it'll still surprise you with something right out of left field. (Usually a softball to the head. Which are present in the game.)

quote:

A traditional rogue-like which allows you to become a dual-wielding communist alchemist.

10/10 would die to a diggle again.

Most of you goons probably own this game, seemingly everyone picked it up during the early 20-teens when steam sales were wickedly deep. If you dont own it, its like $5 on steam and the 2 paid expansions are $3 each.

Ive been playing this game in the past week because I want to PC game but not heat up my already heat-wave compromised bedroom, and this is a great lightweight title that does the trick for me.

Thread Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pGEcqdfew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I loooooved this game despite not playing it in many years. I spent hundreds of hours trying builds and trying to get deeper. This is probably the only rogue-like that has ever hooked me.

To this day when I need a silly name for a game of Jackbox or an MMO or something like that I steal the greatest wizard name I have encountered, courtesy of this game: Wonkdonkler

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I remember encountering a drop called the Razor Blade, and then sometime later the Razor Blade For Her, the only difference being the latter is pink and costs something like 40% more.

I also once got the Sword in the Stone. Its blade was still inside a pretty large boulder of rock but

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
One thing to note about this game is that there is an entire skill tree all about seeing things better, this skill tree for the most part lets you spot traps and find better loot. The final final skill however allows you to utilise all of the light your eyeballs have gathered throughout your life in the form of scorching beams of energy that you can vaporise your foes with. Frankly this game has some of the most creative and amusing skills and items in any roguelike that I have ever seen, but I just wish it wasn't so much work, it's the classic type of roguelike where there is no meta-progression except from your own personal skill and experience with the game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kavros posted:

I remember encountering a drop called the Razor Blade, and then sometime later the Razor Blade For Her, the only difference being the latter is pink and costs something like 40% more.

lol

I used to love Dungeons of Dredmor back in the day. It was the first roguelike to get me off ADOM. I don't think I ever got any of those paid expansions, so maybe it's time to dig it out again and give it a whirl.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

lol

I used to love Dungeons of Dredmor back in the day. It was the first roguelike to get me off ADOM. I don't think I ever got any of those paid expansions, so maybe it's time to dig it out again and give it a whirl.

The extra skills made it worth it for me, even if I’m sucky enough to never get past Floor 4.

I’m trying a run right now with Unarmed Veganism, and it’s getting me much further in general compared to my usual runs. Apparently going clockwork knight and such is a good way to reach the final boss for first timers, but I have zero appetite for recipes and material-gathering for crafting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Havent played this game in forever, but it is extremely good and fun.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah I loved the poo poo out of this game for ages but dropped off.

I think I only ever played and cleared the game twice on easy mode, I had a fair few normal modes peter out in the last dungeon though.

The game's hard.

THAT'S A BIG loving ZOO THO

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I also played the gently caress out of this game when it was new but it's also been many years since. It was the game that pulled me into the competing (cooperating?) roguelike and indie waves of the early 2010s, later getting me into stuff like FTL and Terraria. The devs were even posting here while working on the expansions which I thought was really cool as someone new-ish to the forums at the time. Might just give it another shot now, thanks for the reminder!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i put a lot of time into this game and i remember the awful joys of trying to do a crafting build with such an in-retrospect lovely inventory UI. surprising lack of eyebrow-based skills, too

good thread op. i like the idea of spotlighting decade-old games that people may have forgotten about

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
There used to be a fantastic site which let you see what exactly all of the buffs and debuffs did, especially some of the more esoteric items with vague effects. Anyone know what it is/if it still exists?

Great game, highly recommend taking it for a spin if you haven’t.

Main tips would be:

There are buttons to speed up/slow down animations for when you need to backtrack quickly. Didn’t realise this for too long.

Several of your abilities inflict damage to everything on a particular tile, including yourself if you misclick. Nuking myself is one of the more common ways to die. Bloody thermites.

Stealing from shops is consequence free. If you’re fast enough.

Previously juggling items in your inventory was a bit of a pain, but at some point an item was added which gives you a pocket dimension. Hoard everything!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
So, what's everyone favourite(s) vocation combos?

I'm a big fan of Killer Vegan in general, because the buffs are pretty massive, but combine it with Magical Law and you become a Killer Vegan Lawyer:
- stuff yourself with cheese/meat, ruining your vegan conduct and stacking huge crippling debuffs but gaining food buffs.
- use the Rune of Objection to transfer your current debuffs to a monster, regaining your vegan buffs in the process while maintaining meat/dairy buffs.
- kill the monster which is unlikely to do much since it's stacked with a pile of debuffs resulting from your own misbehaviour.

I wish I had studied Law in college...

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Been replaying this since this thread appeared. Got to level 9, my best run ever with Axe/Shield/Armor/Viking Magic/Perception/Burglary/Smithing. Died to an acid trap I couldn't shake before it got me, but the difficulty was really ramping up and I don't think I was competitive enough to get much farther anyway. Magic builds have always intimidated me, but I'm sick of whacking things and collecting ingots so I'm going to give it a try.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Unfortunately I just recently got the furthest with the most plain meat and potatoes build.

All my flashy builds end so soon. I tried a few mage runs but the health pool is so small that traps are always a massive danger. It’s kinda funny how fast a fire made with blood magic can clear a monster zoo with spamming fireball explosions.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
drat I put so many hours into this game back in the day. Too bad the UI doesn't work too well on modern resolutions.

I remember having fun with a steampunk knight build but the crafting was very messy. The DLC that added pocket dimensions was a godsend just to have a place to unload all the crafting components that would fill up your inventory.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Am I losing anything of note when I do the “No time to grind” setting? I figure it makes crafting builds harder but crafting is so bleh that I never bother. But also maybe that’s why I haven’t beaten the game yet?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I played quite a bit of this back in the day but never strung together a winning run. Enemies in the end game just seem insanely tanky. I don't think I even know what any of them do.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

buglord posted:

Am I losing anything of note when I do the “No time to grind” setting? I figure it makes crafting builds harder but crafting is so bleh that I never bother. But also maybe that’s why I haven’t beaten the game yet?

I think technically less rooms means less chance to get good loot since I don't think it boosts up the loot table like it does for the XP rate when in no time to grind. IIRC crafters had a harder time on this mode because you don't have as many opportunities to find crafting vending machines and recipes.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Bit of a necro here to say that the Gaslamp Games/Dredmor twitter somehow is active again and they hinted at a remake or Dredmor 2 on the steam community forums.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They hinted at something in the roguelike thread too a little while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Akumos posted:

Bit of a necro here to say that the Gaslamp Games/Dredmor twitter somehow is active again and they hinted at a remake or Dredmor 2 on the steam community forums.

Hell yeah. I love Dredmor but performance becomes abysmal in crowded floors, and the game could do with some degree of making crafting a little less of a mess.

drat. Now I feel like rolling another vegan lawyer...