Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
So I shelled out for NFL+ premium (formerly known as gamepass) because I mostly don't care about catching games live. But I do like to run through the full broadcast skipping in 10 or 30 second chunks in addition to using their rapid cuts of all the plays.
Everything works great on a phone or tablet. But with premium you can use it on TV as well. This will be great now that we cut the cord, right? I can sit on my couch and watch like 3 or 4 football games in an afternoon!

Sadly it turns out my experience trying to do that has been pretty bad so far. I've tried 2 methods.
First, just use the NFL app on chromecast itself. The problem there is the time skips don't work. If you try to use the 30 second skip, or the time progress bar, instead of skipping a small chunk of time it skips all the way to near the end of the game for some reason and spoils the end score. I've tried it on multiple different game recordings, and rebooting the chromecast. So it seems to be a bug in this version of the app.
Second, I tried scree casting from my pixel 6 to my TV while running the NFL app. This mostly works, but for some reason it only uses 70% of the screen with black edges on all sides. Like the aspect ration didn't fit but it didn't even fit one direction to the full screen for some reason. Picture quality also seems a little worse, probably because it is getting double compressed. Also of course using the phone controls sucks, even if this did look good. I fiddled around looking for settings on both the chromecast, the pixel screen cast settings, and the nfl phone app and couldn't find anything to adjust screen fit.

I am super disappointed, I was really hoping this would be a good way to watch the NFL season. Anybody else using NFL+ as their primary way of watching games and having a better experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Death to the NFL!!! Death to Amazon!!!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gamepass was dogshit and somehow they managed to make it worse