Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1766816509370778040?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
For the love of the algorithm, Montresor!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Remember Cohost, the non-profit Twitter replacement that received a lot of hype back in the day? Turns out they were funded almost entirely by loans from a rich friend, and now the friend has stopped responding to e-mails.

https://cohost.org/staff/post/5023717-march-2024-financial posted:

as discussed above, we have been dependent on a single funder throughout ASSC's history. the way funding is structured is through a series of promissory notes issued by the company to our funder — essentially collateralized loans from them to us. they DO NOT own any actual equity in ASSC (this is important to us as a worker-owned co-op); we’re ultimately responsible only for paying the principal on the loans as well as a small amount of interest, then we own the company free and clear. the collateral on these loans is IP rights on ASSC's output. barring a renegotiation on these terms, if we default on the loans then our funder will have ownership over the cohost software.
here’s the most urgent problem right now: our funder has been completely incommunicado for over a month right as we’re drawing on the last of our funding from them. we’ve been friends with them since before ASSC was a thing, so not only is this is a matter of paying the bills, but also unexpected, unusual, and leaving us concerned for their personal welfare on top of everything else.
the rest of us would have to get other jobs to pay rent and like. have you seen the job market?? it’s not great

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I generally like Cohost despite its (many) issues, but running on a financial model of "we're bleeding money at a ridiculous rate, but no worries because our single rich friend is funding it for nothing in return" was always obviously a risky move.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

lot of good AVs there

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.reuters.com/technology/us-house-vote-force-bytedance-divest-tiktok-or-face-ban-2024-03-13/
https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1767924620194156659

""This legislation has a predetermined outcome: a total ban of TikTok in the United States," the company said before the vote. "The government is attempting to strip 170 million Americans of their Constitutional right to free expression," it added.
Biden said last week that he would sign the bill.
White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan said on Tuesday the goal was ending Chinese ownership, not banning TikTok.
"Do we want TikTok, as a platform, to be owned by an American company or owned by China? Do we want the data from TikTok - children's data, adults’ data - to be going, to be staying here in America or going to China?" he said."

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
How does ending Tik Tok end self expression? I dislike hyperbole.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

without tiktok, the children will take to the streets dancing and killing

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Sign it.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Just bring back Vine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t want Americans to have children’s data either.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
i'm in favour of any legislation which reduces people watching videos at full volume on the bus

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Lager posted:

Just bring back Vine.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i'm in favour of any legislation which reduces people watching videos at full volume on the bus

Can we expand this to include speakerphone at the grocery store?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/donlemon/status/1767948372999299549
https://twitter.com/allenanalysis/status/1767962956862456244

CNN isnt dying, the people watching TV are.
Nielson ratings are useless at this point.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 13, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It bears mentioning that Zucker hasn’t worked for CNN for awhile

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Elon buy the tiktok and lose another 20 billion plz & ty

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
he'll lose money and get torn apart by kids.

im lolling at tiktok addicts meltdown today, but some of them are kinda scary in the same way Swift music fans are.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I love TikTok, it's where all my favorite cat and capybara videos live. They're all on Instagram and YouTube though I'm sure, and it'll help me sleep better without the infinite scroll.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
New economics paper shows that people would pay to stop using social media if other people stopped using it as well:

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/insight/research-summary/when-product-markets-become-collective-traps-the-case-of-social-media/

quote:

Large shares of consumers use Instagram and TikTok out of a fear of missing out rather than genuine interest and, as a result, are worse off than if the platforms did not exist in the first place.... Users would need to be paid $59 to deactivate TikTok and $47 to deactivate Instagram if others in their network were to continue using their accounts. Users would be willing to pay $28 and $10 to have others, including themselves, deactivate TikTok and Instagram, respectively. Accounting for consumption spillovers to non-users reveals that 64% of active TikTok users and 48% of active Instagram users experience negative welfare from the products’ existence. Participants who do not have accounts would be willing to pay $67 and $39 to have others deactivate their TikTok and Instagram accounts, respectively.

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 14, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the capitalists greatest resource exploitation: FOMO

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
how easy it to prove to regulators or courts that musk is clearly juicing his ad numbers (and thus valuation) with bots because that's the only possible explanation i've seen for the sheer amount of weird pointless bollocks that is supposedly being paid for

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://cohost.org/staff/post/5101727-end-of-week-financia

I can't stop following the Cohost drama. They've managed to secure enough new subscribers and funding offers to keep the lights on for another six months. Instead of trying to save money in any way, they plan to scale up revenue to keep paying themselves competitive tech salaries. Within six months. I wouldn't bet on it, but who knows!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

$96k is not a competitive tech salary.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Prominent Neo-Nazi cartoonist and human turd Stonetoss was revealed to be Hans Kristian Graebner of Spring, Texas. Elon is scrubbing every tweet that so much as mentions any part of the name, effectively confirming without a doubt that Hans Kristian Graebner of Spring, Texas is definitely prominent Neo-Nazi cartoonist and human turd Stonetoss.

https://bsyy.app/profile/esqueer.bsky.social/post/3knr77ifjqc2n

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ColdPie posted:

$96k is not a competitive tech salary.

I touch a computer as good as anyone else and make less :mad:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
you know I'm surprised that no one in the thread has brought up the drama that the CEO of Tumblr's parent company, Matt Mullenweg (co-creator of WordPress) got caught up in.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

you know I'm surprised that no one in the thread has brought up the drama that the CEO of Tumblr's parent company, Matt Mullenweg (co-creator of WordPress) got caught up in.
If you've got something, spill the beans.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
tldr; tumblr CEO wants to be a Little Elon

https://techcrunch.com/2024/02/22/tumblr-ceo-publicly-spars-with-trans-user-over-account-ban-revealing-private-account-names-in-the-process/

There’s also a lot of unsourced rumors that the CEO is not doing well, which coming back from a sabbatical doesn’t seem to help.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No one thinks about the underlying drama because the list of usernames is too funny. Both the list itself and the idea that someone would drop it as an attempt to win an argument

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

There's also a bit more of a recent thing where Tumblr announced partnering up with Midjourney, and users had to opt out of having their posts being used instead of it being an opt in thing. These factors are also adjacent to the cohost stuff because it caused a lot of people to migrate to cohost (which is honestly more of a tumblr alternative than a twitter alternative)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

If you've got something, spill the beans.

It basically got started when a trans Tumblr user named predstrogen complained about Tumblr not doing anything about the transmisogynistic harassment she was dealing with as well as having adult content violations that were mistagged, which she ended with that she made a cartoonish comment hoped that the CEO “dies a forever painful death involving a car covered in hammers that explodes more than a few times and hammers go flying everywhere.” Mark Mullenweg took this as a death threat against Tumblr staff (himself) and had her banned. When other Tumblr users complained Mullenweg was overreacting and that predstrogen was making a joke, he said they were considering some sort of legal action, possibly including forwarding this to the police and FBI.

Then Mullenweg went to Twitter, found predstrogen's Twitter account and started replying there. Then he he went back on Tumblr, shared all her side blog names, which is not public information and that these private side accounts he claimed had "names that were so explicit I can't post them here without a mature tag", then listed the accounts by name.

tl;dr Mullenweg stalked a Tumblr user on their platform and on other social media.

teen witch posted:

tldr; tumblr CEO wants to be a Little Elon

https://techcrunch.com/2024/02/22/tumblr-ceo-publicly-spars-with-trans-user-over-account-ban-revealing-private-account-names-in-the-process/

There’s also a lot of unsourced rumors that the CEO is not doing well, which coming back from a sabbatical doesn’t seem to help.

He recently claimed that they're losing $30 million every year. The whole company's in a death spiral so I wouldn't be surprised he's not doing well mentally and emotionally, that he'd doing something like this.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 17, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh yeah I did see that because of the thing with the side account names all being ridiculous

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

and the most important detail here is the straw that broke the camel's back for predstrogen was that her perfectly sfw before/after transition timeline selfies where flagged as nsfw (which has happened to a lot of tumblr users in the past few years). Also early in the drama a lot of accounts speaking out against what was happening with her were straight up getting DMs from Matt trying to explain himself and some of them were also getting nuked

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Our information systems are going to drown in a sea of AI generated garbage.

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1770078098660503971?s=20

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
As long as it's homegrown American AI spam I don't see the issue

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I want my AI shrimp Jesus free-range, not this industrial farmed crap.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lmao those tits next to jesus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At the same time, Youtube is adding a requirement that potentially deceptive content be identified. If you admit to any of the following, your video will be tagged with a little "altered content" label:

quote:

Using the likeness of a realistic person: Digitally altering content to replace the face of one individual with another's or synthetically generating a person’s voice to narrate a video.

Altering footage of real events or places: Such as making it appear as if a real building caught fire, or altering a real cityscape to make it appear different from reality.

Generating realistic scenes: Showing a realistic depiction of fictional major events, like a tornado moving toward a real town.

I'm not sure how they plan to enforce this given that automated AI detection is a lot harder than, say, automated copyrighted work detection, but godspeed

I'm not sure if titty shrimp jesus would count as "a realistic person" though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They don’t intend to enforce it, this is just to make it harder to sue them when their platform is/continues to be used for mass disinformation.