Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

tbp posted:

i think this is directionally accurate yeah. i was honestly thinking earlier today it's a bit surprising more national teams dont just bring along a few physical beasts, speed seems so dominant because the passing and pressing just isn't as good either

It’s because Haaland unfortunately plays for Norway and we’ll never get the chance to see the most physical beast just running through a bunch of confused and terrified Costa Ricans / Saudis / Ghanaians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004
Completely novice match report:

Neuer played well in the back, though he did have some seriously dodgy moments, especially in the back of the second half where he thought his back line had done a successful offside trap, which is rich considering our back line are poo poo.

Raum was fantastic: did a great job of corralling (Torres?) on the right, spent a ton of time pushing forward and being an ersatz striker.
Süle was fine, though he did get beat on Morata's goal.
Rüdiger...ugh...I love you and I hate you. Got a little enthusiastic on the set piece that could have been a goal, and, like Raum, played a solid attacking back.
Kehrer got a card that was deserved, and played fine.
Schlotterbeck, on in the last minutes as defensive reinforcements, almost blew it for us by not playing the offside trap, which is inexcusable.

Goretzka was a beast and "Schweinsteiger-lite" by smacking guys around, and was able to land a stick pick that bodied Busquets, which nobody - even Busquets' mom - would fault him for.
Kimmich needs to practice his set pieces.
Gündoğan was pretty absent, as was Gnabry.
Musiala played well, though I feel like he was trying too hard to make things happen. He's certainly the only man on the pitch who can move around with the ball with any flair, and opponents can expect that.
I loved seeing Müller up top only for the fact that it meant Kai "Doofus Who Can't Score" Havertz was relegated to the bench.

The real men of the match:
Niclas Füllkrug was electric up top. Scored once, could have scored a second had Musiala found him in front of the net. He needs to start against CRC.
Leroy Sane is back from injury and was a dynamo on the left. Created so many chances in his few minutes on the pitch. I hope he starts against CRC, too.

In sum: Boy, did we luck out by CRC beating Japan, otherwise we are on the outside looking in. Still, we need a win against the Ticos, and we want it to be a decisive one. I thought we showed up decently against a strong Spanish side, and it needs to be noted that the Spaniards missed a few super easy shots in front of our net. Could have easily been 3-1 down. I say, let's take the draw and look forward to the next match.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

cunningham posted:

I loved seeing Müller up top only for the fact that it meant Kai "Doofus Who Can't Score" Havertz was relegated to the bench.

Some advanced stats for you: Mueller vs Spain and Havertz vs Japan had the same number of shots (0). I think there's some weird thing going on with both of them where either the system we have just doesn't suit their strengths or they're not getting the right support. Having a target/focus player up front might just be better for the rest of the midfield to play off of. Fuellkrug up top with Havertz as a 10 would be interesting to see but not sure Flick wants that.

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004

elbkaida posted:

Some advanced stats for you: Mueller vs Spain and Havertz vs Japan had the same number of shots (0). I think there's some weird thing going on with both of them where either the system we have just doesn't suit their strengths or they're not getting the right support. Having a target/focus player up front might just be better for the rest of the midfield to play off of. Fuellkrug up top with Havertz as a 10 would be interesting to see but not sure Flick wants that.
I will certainly concede that the style of play could be influencing their stats, but I am mostly reacting to WC 2018 where Havertz either missed opportunities or failed to create them. I didn't see that change much against Japan, so I will hold onto my "my eyes don't lie, he's just not right for the squad" opinion. Havertz has 0 WC goals and Müller had 4 in his first :shrug:

Miro Klose and Lukasz Podolski are tough boots to fill, of course.

Germany are at their best when their high midfield sets up left-right passes near the top of the box, leaving their striker free to dink in misplays from the keeper. That's certainly not Musiala's game. A lot of energy was zapped into the side when Sane and Füllkrug entered the pitch, though it might not be sustainable if they are in the starting XI.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

cunningham posted:

I will certainly concede that the style of play could be influencing their stats, but I am mostly reacting to WC 2018 where Havertz either missed opportunities or failed to create them. I didn't see that change much against Japan, so I will hold onto my "my eyes don't lie, he's just not right for the squad" opinion. Havertz has 0 WC goals and Müller had 4 in his first :shrug:

Germany are at their best when their high midfield sets up left-right passes near the top of the box, leaving their striker free to dink in misplays from the keeper. That's certainly not Musiala's game. A lot of energy was zapped into the side when Sane and Füllkrug entered the pitch, though it might not be sustainable if they are in the starting XI.

havertz wasn't there in 2018 lol

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004

tristeham posted:

Well, if that isn't the Mandela Effect in action. Upon reflection, I must have been thinking of Euro 2020, because I seriously don't get to watch that much German football here in the American Midwest, and I distinctly remember yelling at him through my television. Maybe he missed some really stupid, easy touch-ins? OK, Kai, you win this round. You're still a non-scoring doofus, even if your non-scoring is from other major tournaments and/or I dislike you for the wrong reasons.

Content: What is next for Germany? What can we do and how can we do it?

TL;DR. We have to win. If we don't win, we're done.

If Germany win, that gives us 4 points. Solid, yet not respectable.

If Germany and Spain win, then Spain finish first and Germany finish second. This is maybe the likely scenario, unless Spain decides to punt it against Japan, because they have a comfortable goal differential.

If Germany win and Spain lose, Germany would have to win by eight to advance on goals differential. Japan would win the group, and Germany would be number 2.

If Germany win and Spain ties with Japan, then Germany would have to win by more than 1 goal to beat the differential. In that case, they advance and poor Japan go home early.

My expectation is that Germany will play as if Spain will beat Japan, so they come out swinging: this is not a "gently caress around and win 1-0" type of game for them. This means they will either score 2 and end it there - gone are the days of annihilating Brazil - or they will concede early, start pouting, and go out in frustration for the second straight cup.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

tristeham posted:

So you’re saying he failed to create any opportunities

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Germany and Spain will win, book it. Next round would hypothetically be... Morocco or Croatia?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Think we need to draw some inspiration from how Spain managed to score 7 against Costa Rica. I think the solution might just be to play more midfielders...

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

cunningham posted:

cunningham posted:

Well, if that isn't the Mandela Effect in action. Upon reflection, I must have been thinking of Euro 2020, because I seriously don't get to watch that much German football here in the American Midwest, and I distinctly remember yelling at him through my television. Maybe he missed some really stupid, easy touch-ins? OK, Kai, you win this round. You're still a non-scoring doofus, even if your non-scoring is from other major tournaments and/or I dislike you for the wrong reasons.

Content: What is next for Germany? What can we do and how can we do it?

TL;DR. We have to win. If we don't win, we're done.

If Germany win, that gives us 4 points. Solid, yet not respectable.

If Germany and Spain win, then Spain finish first and Germany finish second. This is maybe the likely scenario, unless Spain decides to punt it against Japan, because they have a comfortable goal differential.

If Germany win and Spain lose, Germany would have to win by eight to advance on goals differential. Japan would win the group, and Germany would be number 2.

If Germany win and Spain ties with Japan, then Germany would have to win by more than 1 goal to beat the differential. In that case, they advance and poor Japan go home early.

My expectation is that Germany will play as if Spain will beat Japan, so they come out swinging: this is not a "gently caress around and win 1-0" type of game for them. This means they will either score 2 and end it there - gone are the days of annihilating Brazil - or they will concede early, start pouting, and go out in frustration for the second straight cup.

Could you provide your favourite starting XI of the GMNT in code tags please?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

ephex posted:

You looking for something like this?

code:
                             Neuer
Mueller                Mueller Mueller Mueller
Mueller                Mueller
Mueller Mueller  Mueller Mueller Mueller
                             Mueller                Mueller
Mueller Mueller Mueller                Mueller
Edit: well that doesn't work does it

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

that's a formation i've never seen before, would be pretty bold of FLick imo

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Ah the classic offset 3-1-3-3. You don't normally include the subs bench in a code XI OP

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
code:
                 Neuer
Mueller         Mueller Mueller Mueller
Mueller         Mueller
Mueller Mueller Mueller Mueller Mueller
                Mueller         Mueller
Mueller Mueller Mueller         Mueller
Hope this helps OP

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Wazzerphuk posted:

code:
                 Neuer
Mueller         Mueller
                Mueller         Mueller
Hope this helps OP

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Wazzerphuk posted:

code:
                 Neuer
Mueller         Mueller
                Mueller         Mueller
Hope this helps OP

I asked a nearby German what he thought and he immediately started marching East. I think that means he thinks the right wing needs more support?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Wazzerphuk posted:

code:
                 Neuer
Mueller         Mueller
                Mueller         Mueller
Hope this helps OP

:eyepop:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wazzerphuk posted:

code:
                 Neuer
Mueller         Mueller
                Mueller         Mueller
Hope this helps OP

:hmmyes:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Wazzerphuk posted:

code:
                 Neuer
Mueller         Mueller
                Mueller         Mueller
Hope this helps OP

Gut Gott!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wazzerphuk posted:

code:
                 Neuer
Mueller         Mueller
                Mueller         Mueller
Hope this helps OP

welcome to TRP, Herr Raum

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Wazzerphuk posted:

code:
                 Neuer
Mueller         Mueller
                Mueller         Mueller
Hope this helps OP

Wayne Hennessey is "desperate" to learn what this post means

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004

ephex posted:

If you're having a go, I don't get it, but if I were Hansi, this is what I would throw out tomorrow:

Neuer
Raum Süle Rüdiger Kehrer
Gündoğan Goretzka
Gnabry Musiala Sané
Füllkrug

Note a complete lack of Müller.

Likely, we will see Kimmich and Müller instead of Sané and Füllkrug; the former because of fitness, the latter because of...I'm not sure.

Code tags good for you?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Muller still up top. Not sure I buy it, but I'm sure Flick wants to overwhelm CR the way Spain did.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
No green jerseys, no good soccer.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Imagine you have a good striker who is on a streak and you decide to start the game with 33 year old Müller.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

That second Japanese goal absolutely should not have stood. That said, Flick is a moron and should gently caress off.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
How good are these concurrent games

Also should’ve been better but goddamn

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Auf wiedersehen!

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Thanks for boycutting the games and standing in solidarity with Denmark and Belgium.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Wazzerphuk posted:

code:
                 Neuer
Mueller         Mueller
                Mueller         Mueller
Hope this helps OP

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

antidote posted:

That second Japanese goal absolutely should not have stood. That said, Flick is a moron and should gently caress off.

the ball was still in play though

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
If Germany was really doing well it wouldn’t have had to pray that the other game landed the way we wanted. Sucks but simple as that.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Germany lived up to their full potential

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Recoome posted:

If Germany was really doing well it wouldn’t have had to pray that the other game landed the way we wanted. Sucks but simple as that.

Shouldnt have gone into the third match with 1 point.
Sad.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Man this sucks what the gently caress

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

elbkaida posted:

Man this sucks what the gently caress

its actually p dang good so i dont have to care anymore about this bad tournament

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

ilmucche posted:

the ball was still in play though

Explain? If the ball was fully over the line how was it in play? I'm legitimately asking, because do I have a misunderstanding of the rule?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

antidote posted:

Explain? If the ball was fully over the line how was it in play? I'm legitimately asking, because do I have a misunderstanding of the rule?

its in play til its not in play

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

antidote posted:

I'm legitimately asking, because do I have a misunderstanding of the rule?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Thanks, forums superstars.