Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

antidote posted:

Explain? If the ball was fully over the line how was it in play? I'm legitimately asking, because do I have a misunderstanding of the rule?

If the ball was fully over the line then it wouldn't be in play. The ball wasn't fully over the line so it was in play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kikomartin/status/1598424144907227137

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

To me that is a questionable call. Obviously we can't change it, and maybe it's the angle, but... I dunno.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

antidote posted:

To me that is a questionable call. Obviously we can't change it, and maybe it's the angle, but... I dunno.

Assuming that's the frame where the ball is furthest out then it's still in play, but that's fair. Ultimately the call on the field was it was fine so it'd be on the var to find a frame where it was all the way out to overturn

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I think the questionable call is playing defenders that let two goals past against both Japan and Costa Rica combined with forwards that need 10 attempts to score a goal

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

https://twitter.com/wc22updates/status/1598428999084023828?cxt=HHwWqICxkZat4a4sAAAA

lol

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Assuming that's the frame where the ball is furthest out then it's still in play, but that's fair. Ultimately the call on the field was it was fine so it'd be on the var to find a frame where it was all the way out to overturn

The call on the field was that it was not fine. VAR overruled the ref.

elbkaida posted:

I think the questionable call is playing defenders that let two goals past against both Japan and Costa Rica combined with forwards that need 10 attempts to score a goal

Obviously true. No one is saying Germany would've gone much further. Still, I think VAR is there to make things feel more technically sound, and I'm not sure it accomplished that.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Die Mannshit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Love that Twitter flagged this as potentially sensitive content

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Die Müllschaft

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

antidote posted:

The call on the field was that it was not fine. VAR overruled the ref.

Obviously true. No one is saying Germany would've gone much further. Still, I think VAR is there to make things feel more technically sound, and I'm not sure it accomplished that.

I mean in this case VAR did make the game more technically sound in that it found the ball marginally in play and so let a lovely and also funny goal stand :shrug:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm still not entirely sure what the call on the field was tbh. It didn't come from the linesman but I didn't get the impression the ref called for a goal kick right away. Looked like there was confusion all around.

Either way, var got the call right which is what it's there for I guess.

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004

webmeister posted:

Love that Twitter flagged this as potentially sensitive content
Lol, same, especially after all the poo poo I've been lobbing at Havertz for :checks watch: 2+ years.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Computer, enhance

https://twitter.com/m_amroellah/status/1598454919442616321?s=20&t=of3evgEVEckf32QjGClzUw

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Is this at least partially the result of only having one good German team since Klopp left Dortmund?

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Her Dryer posted:

Is this at least partially the result of only having one good German team since Klopp left Dortmund?

also like a third of the Japanese roster plays in Germany

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Her Dryer posted:

Bayern won the league the three seasons prior to Klopp leaving Dortmund.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

antidote posted:

Germany and Spain will win, book it. Next round would hypothetically be... Morocco or Croatia?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Her Dryer posted:

Honestly I think they stuck with JLow for too long and that resulted in persisting with building the team around its remaining aging 2014 winners rather than focusing on the younger talent coming through. This Germany side very much looks like a team in transition, which I'd say is a step up from looking like an older, slower shadow of itself during the Euros.

Muller looks cooked though, dunno why Flick kept persisting with him

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Did you book it? I hope not!

Not my fault we live in this hellish timeline.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Honestly I think they stuck with JLow for too long and that resulted in persisting with building the team around its remaining aging 2014 winners rather than focusing on the younger talent coming through. This Germany side very much looks like a team in transition, which I'd say is a step up from looking like an older, slower shadow of itself during the Euros.

Muller looks cooked though, dunno why Flick kept persisting with him

I agree with this as well.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

antidote posted:

Did you book it?

Nope!

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Turdmany.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Bierhoff is out. RIP.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

antidote posted:

Bierhoff is out. RIP.

I guess he analyzed what would be in the best interest of the stakeholders and from a management point of view, him quitting generates the most positive engagement.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

lagidnam posted:

I guess he analyzed what would be in the best interest of the stakeholders and from a management point of view, him quitting generates the most positive engagement.

Actually it's probably because Germany are poo poo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1601537969122574336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Playing poo poo to get an early holiday backfiring for German team